LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Far-Seeing Eyes + Mordor Discard  (Read 6043 times)

May 12, 2015, 10:53:42 PM
Read 6043 times

idleninja

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Far-Seeing Eyes + Mordor Discard
« on: May 12, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »
Having some fun with NappyKorn's idea http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,1200.0.html and NBarden's deck from CC http://lotrtcgwiki.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4869

Use Follow Smeagol so you can play underground sites. Once its your fellowship phase play 4 elves to discard 4 cards from your opponent's hand with Far-Seeing Eyes, exert 3 elves to drop Elven Marksmanship for free, then take 4 elves back into your hand when you move from an underground site thanks to 4x Taking the High Ground. White Arrows of Lorien dumps what they have left, Taking the High Ground can further increase archery if needed. Use Lorien Swordsman to finish off/tank anything that makes it through archery.

Any suggestions to trim it down, or any other cards that could help this deck out? I'm still familiarizing myself with post-Shadows stuff. NK used Gandalf and SftF, which can probably get setup much faster than this deck.

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
Ring: The One Ring, The Great Ring

Adventure deck:
Courtyard Parapet
Abandoned Mine Shaft
Slag Mounds
Cavern Entrance
Chamber of Mazarbul
West Gate of Moria
Mount Doom
Caves of Aglarond
Moria Guardroom

Free Peoples Draw Deck: (35)
3x Elven Guardian
1x Legolas, Woodland Emissary (Starting)
2x Lorien Swordsman
1x Rumil, Silvan Elf (Starting)
1x Smeagol, Slinker (Starting)
1x Calaglin, Elf of Lorien
1x Celeborn, Lord of Lorien
1x Dinendal, Silent Scout
1x Erestor, Chief Advisor to Elrond
1x Galdor, Councilor From the West
1x Golradir, Councilor of Imladris
1x Orophin, Lorien Bowman
1x Saelbeth, Elven Councilor
1x Silinde, Elf of Mirkwood
1x Uruviel, Maid of Lorien
2x Elven Bow
1x Legolas' Bow
4x Elven Marksmanship
3x Far-seeing Eyes
4x Taking the High Ground
2x The White Arrows of Lorien
1x Follow Smeagol

Shadow Draw Deck: (35)
4x Uruk Soldier
4x Gorgoroth Stormer
4x Orc Inquisitor
4x Siege Troop
1x Ithil Stone
3x Desperate Measures
4x The Ring is Mine!
1x Dead Marshes
3x Desperate Defense of the Ring
2x The Irresistible Shadow
1x Thin and Stretched
4x Tower of Barad-dur

Here is NK's setup of burning Legolas and pulling Follow Smeagol with Dammed Gate-Stream. If you mulligan for SftF you should be able to get started right away.

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
Ring: The One Ring, The Great Ring

Adventure deck:
Courtyard Parapet
Abandoned Mine Shaft
Slag Mounds
Cavern Entrance
Chamber of Mazarbul
West Gate of Moria
Mount Doom
Moria Guardroom
Dammed Gate-stream

Free Peoples Draw Deck: (34)
1x Legolas, Greenleaf (starting)
1x Lorien Swordsman
1x Gandalf, Leader of Men (starting)
1x Smeagol, Slinker (starting)
1x Calaglin, Elf of Lorien
1x Celeborn, Lord of Lorien
1x Dinendal, Silent Scout
1x Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
1x Erestor, Chief Advisor to Elrond
1x Galdor, Councilor From the West
1x Golradir, Councilor of Imladris
1x Orophin, Lorien Bowman
1x Rúmil, Elven Protector
1x Saelbeth, Elven Councilor
1x Silinde, Elf of Mirkwood
1x Uruviel, Maid of Lorien
2x Elven Bow
4x Saved From the Fire
2x Elven Marksmanship
3x Far-seeing Eyes
4x Taking the High Ground
2x The White Arrows of Lorien
1x Follow Smeagol

Shadow Draw Deck: (34)
4x Band of the Eye
4x Gorgoroth Stormer
4x Orc Inquisitor
4x Siege Troop
1x Ithil Stone
3x Desperate Measures
3x The Ring is Mine!
1x Dead Marshes
3x Desperate Defense of the Ring
2x The Irresistible Shadow
1x Thin and Stretched
4x Tower of Barad-dur

May 14, 2015, 05:53:48 AM
Reply #1

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
Re: Far-Seeing Eyes + Mordor Discard
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 05:53:48 AM »
I had tried a FSE elf dicard deck in Fellowship block, which was really fun, though I didn't consider it super competitive.

I think what I like most about discard on the FP side is that the Shadow player has no desense against it haha. If you're paranoid of shadow discard at least you can play Courteous Halfling.

I love how Expanded format just goes to town in letting you capitalize (or otherwise abuse) cards like FSE. I noticed in FotR, the limitation of FSE is running out of elves to play without making your deck obscenely enormous. I like how you can use the part of Taking the High Ground, that is actually supposed to be the penalty, in your favor as well!

I'd love to see it in action!

May 15, 2015, 08:56:46 AM
Reply #2

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »
I'd definitely use Gandalf (probably Leader of Men or Wise Guide) and SftF. The Palantir of Orthanc, Recovered Seeing Stone is just naturally a great fit with Far Seeing Eyes, and SftF enables a lot of goodstuff (like getting Lord of Rivendell + Ottar). Having Gandalf also gives you access to GOTM, which is a very good safety measure in expanded. I'd also suggest to add Gil-Galad, HKOTN. You build your deck around Far Seeing Eyes, and it just doesn't really function well without it, HKOTN makes sure that you'll have it on board in the fellowship.

Gandalf's Hat is also an interesting card for Far Seeing Eyes decks as it enables safe double moves.

Something Slimy is another card that I'd run 4 of in any condition based deck with Smeagol, it's just so good.

Another thing I'd like to note is that keeping your deck thin is not always a good thing in expanded, there are so many strategies that you want to counter and so many search cards that enable you to run 1 ofs of specific silver bullets, that if you don't play choke or combo, you are usually better off with a bigger deck, for example my league deck is a 150 cards monstrum, and it has over 90% win rate in league games (about the same in casual).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:02:52 AM by Shelobplayer »

May 15, 2015, 05:23:13 PM
Reply #3

idleninja

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:23:13 PM »
I had tried a FSE elf dicard deck in Fellowship block, which was really fun, though I didn't consider it super competitive.

I think what I like most about discard on the FP side is that the Shadow player has no desense against it haha. If you're paranoid of shadow discard at least you can play Courteous Halfling.

I love how Expanded format just goes to town in letting you capitalize (or otherwise abuse) cards like FSE. I noticed in FotR, the limitation of FSE is running out of elves to play without making your deck obscenely enormous. I like how you can use the part of Taking the High Ground, that is actually supposed to be the penalty, in your favor as well!

I'd love to see it in action!
You're exactly right, if I can dump their hand then even if I have 20+ twilight out what can they do with 3-4 cards in hand? I don't understand why some of these post-Shadows cards aren't X or R-listed, they are so powerful compared to some of the currently X-listed stuff, but I'll use everything I legally can. I got FSE in the movie sealed, thought it would be nice to try and build on it with Expanded... Thanks for posting!

I'd definitely use Gandalf (probably Leader of Men or Wise Guide) and SftF. The Palantir of Orthanc, Recovered Seeing Stone is just naturally a great fit with Far Seeing Eyes, and SftF enables a lot of goodstuff (like getting Lord of Rivendell + Ottar). Having Gandalf also gives you access to GOTM, which is a very good safety measure in expanded. I'd also suggest to add Gil-Galad, HKOTN. You build your deck around Far Seeing Eyes, and it just doesn't really function well without it, HKOTN makes sure that you'll have it on board in the fellowship.

Gandalf's Hat is also an interesting card for Far Seeing Eyes decks as it enables safe double moves.

Something Slimy is another card that I'd run 4 of in any condition based deck with Smeagol, it's just so good.

Another thing I'd like to note is that keeping your deck thin is not always a good thing in expanded, there are so many strategies that you want to counter and so many search cards that enable you to run 1 ofs of specific silver bullets, that if you don't play choke or combo, you are usually better off with a bigger deck, for example my league deck is a 150 cards monstrum, and it has over 90% win rate in league games (about the same in casual).
Thanks! This is super helpful for my deck and Expanded in general. HKOTN is perfect for this deck, both games I've played with this deck my key conditions were taken out and them I'm toast, this guy would be perfect. Those other cards also look great. I played SgtDraino's Madril deck and got to see some of the search cards in action, will definitely try to incorporate them into my deck.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep this post updated. Had my last midterm today so I should be pretty free until finals week  :'(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:46:55 PM by idleninja »

May 16, 2015, 06:46:50 PM
Reply #4

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »
Got any replays? :)
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

May 16, 2015, 09:48:56 PM
Reply #5

idleninja

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 09:48:56 PM »

May 18, 2015, 05:44:54 AM
Reply #6

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:44:54 AM »
That was a fun game! Yeah, condition bombs can be a problem. I think it's also pretty clear that you need more/better site manipulation. You weren't getting your undergrounds out like you needed.

Gandalf, Wise Guide can help with preventing your conditions getting bombed, Gil-galad, High King of the Noldor can help with getting them back out.

Here's our game replay from my pov:

http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=sgtdraino$uugj92dctpss5qon
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

May 18, 2015, 10:46:22 PM
Reply #7

idleninja

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:46:22 PM »
That was a fun game! Yeah, condition bombs can be a problem. I think it's also pretty clear that you need more/better site manipulation. You weren't getting your undergrounds out like you needed.

Gandalf, Wise Guide can help with preventing your conditions getting bombed, Gil-galad, High King of the Noldor can help with getting them back out.

Here's our game replay from my pov:

http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=sgtdraino$uugj92dctpss5qon
Thanks for that!

So for this deck to work I need:
Gil-Galad HKOTN
Wise Guide (maybe use sent back so I can burn Leader of Men)?
Search Cards
Site Manipulation

I am working on a mk2 version that will incorporate all these elements! I am looking through all the decks posted here to get some ideas and going through setlists on the wiki right now. Will keep you guys posted.