LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: An Unexpected Party  (Read 19443 times)

May 15, 2008, 02:24:15 PM
Read 19443 times

Hobbit_Pizza

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
An Unexpected Party
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro are hosting a live internet chat about The Hobbit.
See Here

May 15, 2008, 08:48:07 PM
Reply #1

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
Re: An Unexpected Party
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:48:07 PM »
Thanks! That was interesting.

May 16, 2008, 01:17:49 AM
Reply #2

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 01:17:49 AM »
What was your question?

I want to know how true they will stick to the story. Like LoTR and the whole elves at helms deep fiasco!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

May 16, 2008, 02:37:27 AM
Reply #3

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 02:37:27 AM »
Or how the blew up the wall....
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

May 16, 2008, 05:24:40 AM
Reply #4

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 05:24:40 AM »
I thought that that was roughly how they did it in the book...
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

May 16, 2008, 05:29:06 AM
Reply #5

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 05:29:06 AM »
They indeed blew up the wall like that, but there were no other elves in Helms Deep...Lothlorien had some business of their own....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

May 16, 2008, 05:30:40 AM
Reply #6

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 05:30:40 AM »
I always pictured the wall blowing up a little less.... dramatic

May 16, 2008, 11:33:52 AM
Reply #7

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 11:33:52 AM »
oh, so it was how you pictured, but other people might have pictured it definitly...as for the elves...well just be glad arwen didn't show up with anduril like they had planned...though it would be cool to see liv tyler pwn some uruks ;)
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

May 16, 2008, 03:12:34 PM
Reply #8

Hobbit_Pizza

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 03:12:34 PM »
I asked:

Which roles will not be reprised by their original actors?
Will there be any disguised cameos of either Peter or Guillermo in either film?
Is it true that Guillermo hates Hobbits, Dragons, and Wizards?

May 16, 2008, 03:34:37 PM
Reply #9

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »
The lack of Glorfindel was... shocking. The COMPLETE lack of Dwarves made me feel like Gimli is the only one in Middle Earth!

May 16, 2008, 10:17:35 PM
Reply #10

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »
I wasn't too fond of the Host of the Dead showing up at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. It sort of cheapened the sacrifices made by everybody else, and I'm sure some moviegoers who didn't read the book were wondering why Rohan even needed to show up.

Another change that made me wince was Theoden's initial refusal to help Gondor. The strong friendship between Rohan and Gondor always gave me a warm fuzzy feeling, especially when we hear about so many other alliances and kindreds that have become estranged. Plus it made one of my favorite characters seem kind of petty. :(

I think some purists were really worked up though by the confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch-king at the Gate. Whereas in the movie the Witch-king seems to have the easy upper hand (both practical and symbolic from the breaking of the staff), I think in the books they were either about equal, or Gandalf (the White) was the stronger.

All told though, I found the movies to be enjoyable, and I can understand some of the changes Jackson made when bringing the books to the big screen. Especially when compared to some of the other fare (*LOL* at SoP's link on the other thread!).

As for The Hobbit... bring it on! Smaug on the big screen. Heckyeah!

May 17, 2008, 05:26:35 AM
Reply #11

FingolfinFinwe

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 05:26:35 AM »
Yeah the Host of the Dead at the Pelennor Fields was what bothered me the most about the trilogy.  Definitely cheapened everyone's sacrifice.  You have this horrible battle all day, night & day again, practically everyone dying, then these ghosts show up and finish the battle in 0.2 seconds.  Geez Aragorn why release them from their service then?  Why not send them into Mordor? They're obviously the ultimate power in Middle Earth so use them some more!

While that definitely bugs me, it is still something I can overlook since it barely takes up any time.  Same thing with the elves at Helms Deep.  Granted its a bit annoying, but it doesn't break the back of the story.

I like'd the WK/Gandy Confrontation!  Actually gave a little more of a feel of desperation.  twas bada**.

I just hope Guillermo can do as good of a job with the Hobbit.  I have some reservations about him.  All his movies seem to be critically acclaimed, but I find them to be just ok.  But I'm sure looking forward to seeing how TH turns out!

May 19, 2008, 02:05:01 AM
Reply #12

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 02:05:01 AM »
Thank GOD someone else has said what ive always felt. Why the #$&*@! didnt aragorn just send word to minas tirith along these lines "barracade minas tirith with everything you got as long as the 7th wall still stands and everyone is alive it should give me enough time to bring a swarm of undead invincible ghosts to the fight to pwn all and rohan neednt bother losing their king and 3/4 of their frickin army." " P.s. Keep my seat warm denethor."

Sheesh.  :roll:
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

May 19, 2008, 10:15:13 AM
Reply #13

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 10:15:13 AM »
I posted something here with my feelings but seem to have deleted it...yes the dead man of dunharrow kinda did lesson the sacrifice, but even they couldn't have killed the witch king...maybe...not...IDK thats an interesting discussion there, but anyway yeah it would've been cooler if we had gotten to see elrohir and elladan pwn, and eomer, imrahil, and aragorn meet on the field of battle!
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

May 19, 2008, 11:16:31 AM
Reply #14

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
I was bothered by Aragorn who was attacked by Wargs. I was bothered by Faramir, by the Host of the Death....The fellowship was by far the best movie bookwise. The colors, the phrases, everything seemed right. Glorfindel was a shame, but other than that, I liked it best. Oh and Frodo offering the Ring more or less to the Nazgul in Osgiliath was weird, the audiocomment made by pippin and merry was awesome!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Frodo and Sam were full of bull**** about the weight of the scene, and they just fooled around...love it a lot!
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...