LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Best The Two Towers Block Decklists  (Read 8429 times)

July 24, 2018, 01:38:26 PM
Read 8429 times

DarkJodo

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Best The Two Towers Block Decklists
« on: July 24, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
Hello! I have acquired a large LOTR tcg collection, and I had a blast recreating the top 2 2002 world champion decks for my Fellowship Block format.

I am wondering if anyone can provide (in their opinion) the top 2 competitive decks that can be made in The Two Towers block format, only using sets 4-6.

Thanks so much in advance!

July 26, 2018, 03:25:34 AM
Reply #1

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Best The Two Towers Block Decklists
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 03:25:34 AM »
I play more Standard than Block, but I'm pretty sure Rohan is up there. You've got Third Marshal of Riddermark and Elite Rider* who can get very strong with support like Thundering Hosts etc. There's also Gamling and Eowyn.

I think for Shadows you can do Uruk beatdown with Wormtongue keeping companions from getting too strong. Easterlings might also be up there because no Son of Hamfast. Add burdens and use Easterling Captain.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 26, 2018, 04:28:49 PM
Reply #2

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »
I always found TTT a very Rock-Paper-Scissors type format. A lot of Shadows either hard counter fellowships or are hard countered by them.  I'd say the main decks are as follows:

Fellowships:

Third Marshall
Loads up TMotR and Elite Riders with all their gear to power through.  Sometimes adds in Aragorn and HiDaN. Really strong against Wargs (though be careful of Wolf Voices), but hates Dunland possession discard. Shields stop archery cold, and the defender bonus from Firefoot (and Aragorn) nullify Sauron Swarm.

Ring Bound Rangers
These guys are immune to Grima, so can load up without fear. Faramir and Ithilien Ranger are huge, and Mablung and Bow can take out anyone. I preferred to splash Rohan allies and mounts and go for all out wounding. Very strong against Easterlings and Uruk Site Control, but loses to Sauron Swarm. Must always beware Southron Commander, especially at Cavern Entrance.

Ents
Plays lots of beefy companions and Merry and Pippin to run away from big minions. Good against Dunland Possession Discard, but sometimes struggles against big minions such as Battleground Uruks. Doubling can be hard.

Naith Elves
Almost ignores archery and instead plays strong Naith elves with Aragorn, DoFP and Strength of Arms and Agility. The Naith are very strong against Sauron Swarm (Night Without End is great, and Company of Archers is one of the few condition discard options in TTT) and any of the decks designed to counter Men, but struggle against Easterlings.  They are also solid against Wargs if they can get a few tokens on the board.

Elf Archers
Often paired with Gimli, Skilled Defender and Quick as May Be and Baruk Khazad. Fereveldir is surprisingly good here, and if you can get enough bows out, you should be in a strong position. Taxes Wargs and Dunland heavily (though if a Robber gets through with a war club, you're toast). The biggest fear is an Uruk Vanguard with Broad Bladed Sword.

Two Hunters
Don't play all three Hunters as you'll lose to Grima CC. Very good against Dunland, but Trackers are designed to take this down (Brought Back Alive plus Uruk Hunters).

Knights
Pretty unpopular, but have answers for most things. Most fortifications do work against Wargs as the is no cost, so they can't really exert to prevent the effect. Struggle with Battleground Uruks and site control (though Citadel of the Stars is excellent against Dunland). I would have loved to see it work with HiDaN, but that requires to many companions.

Other strategies (such as Smeagol plus Ring Bound Hobbits) are very rare. It's probably the format that sees the least Gandalf, which is a shame as he hears some great cards. Grima CC really shut down a lot of creativity for Gimli, Smeagol and Gandalf.

Shadows

Uruk Beatdown
Beats fellowships info submission with really powerful minions. Either focusses on Battlegrounds (Uruk Vanguard with a Broad Bladed Sword is almost always good for a couple of kills and a stop) or site control (harder to set up, but bigger bonuses-condition discard isn't as popular in TTT). Will out muscle Rohan and strong rangers, but dislike wounding rangers and unbound Hobbits running away.

Uruk Trackers
Slay the Three Hunters by first going for the Hobbits. Quite hard to use: you need to balance conditions with enough minions to make Ugluk strong. Mauhur is pretty good against wounding rangers (provided they aren't mounted-they annihilate this deck). If there are enough conditions out, can take out Rohan, but you need a solid draw.

Archers
Play a lot of archers (Banner of Westernese and shields are a problem) to massacre the opponent. Held is never seen, so Frodo cannot add burdens to help him like in other blocks.

Machines
This is fun! Load up machines with tokens from sites 1-6 to blow Devilry of Orthanc at site 7 (King's Room as it destroys Ents). Then play a Beserk Slayer to wound every companion once, heal up with Scaling Ladder and do it again. Then let loose Weapons of Isengard site 9 to kill off anyone who is still standing. Requires huge set up, but is very capable. Strong against Rohan, and if carefully played beats Rangers (Mablung and bows need to be played around, and have Broad Bladed Sword to stop Defend it and Hope). Not weak against anything really, just a bad draw (which is annoyingly common).

Dunland
Without Freca, and with lots of site liberation, site control is not all that great in TTT. I prefer loading up Dunlanding Robber with War Club and letting him loose on Rohan and Rangers who are named without their gear. Hides is a must, and Constantly Threatening alone almost stops double moves. Cannot stand Hobbits discarding when they want to win skirmishes, and Ents have no possessions to discard.

Sauron Swarm
Can try to set up Teeth of Mordor (often hard, especially against Rohan), but essentially tries to get as many minions out as possible. The only Frodo protection beyond site 5 is Severed His Bonds, Cliffs of Emyn Muil and Make Light of Burdens and No Use That Way (all wounds, no strength). Impatient and Angry can boost Sam but is never seen, so 5 minions on Frodo is almost always enough to win the game. You can draw loads of cards, and discard out the chaff to draw more, so just maximise the pool you are given. Eye of Barad-Dur decimates rangers, though you should beat them down even without it. 9 companions can be a struggle, but you can still get enough minions out if you time it right. Night Without End and Defend it and Hope can ruin your day, too.

Easterlings
Tired Traveller and Ring Bound Rangers will be the bane of your existence. Even if you do play Gathering to the Summons and enough Vision From Afar, they just drop another Ranger (or worse, Sam) and unfo the hard work. Great against Naith Elves and can stymie Rohan.

Southrons
I could never really get Southrons to work. Desert Lord is great in archery decks, and Southron Commander is the metagame card in a set with Orc Insurgent and two Grimas, but Southrons on their own seem to require the perfect draw to work. Even if you surprise Eomer or Faramir (not SoD, though) with Wounding Strike, you still need to kill Frodo, and they just seem to struggle to do it.

Wargs
Pretty hand dependant. You need the right balance of Wargs and Minions. If you get it, you still need Wolf Voices at the right time to beat Rohan (and avoid Arrow Slits). They are pretty good against rangers as they nullify Mablung. Hobbits also struggle to run away.

Isengard Regroup Orcs
Low strength and 3 vitality means nothing is left against a mount and spear. The only pump is Wolf Voices, which is horrible without the heal. This isn't seen for a reason, though has its place in TS. Can swarm, I guess.

Isengard Men
Have a few tricks, particularly against opposing men, but just not enough power. Men Will Fall is the only pump, and it can't touch Frodo or RBRs which is a massive issue. The only saving grace is Twisted Tales, but should only be used for fun.

And that's pretty much everything. You don't see Nazgul, the Balrog or Trolls, sadly. Just not enough support. If I think of anything else, I'll include it here.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:53:33 AM by Legion »

July 26, 2018, 06:49:54 PM
Reply #3

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
Two Hunters
Don't play all three Hunters as you'll lose to Grima CC. Very good against Dunland, but Trackers are designed to take this down (Brought Back Alive plus Uruk Hunters).

Run all 3 hunters and just save Baruk Khazad x2 for any Grima mischief. Or x1 and Quick As May Be.

July 27, 2018, 01:52:00 PM
Reply #4

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 01:52:00 PM »
Run all 3 hunters and just save Baruk Khazad x2 for any Grima mischief. Or x1 and Quick As May Be.
Does that work though? There's Fury of the White Rider too, but it seems kinda clunky to hold them. Maybe that's just me though, I tend to run decks that are just a bit too big. You don't know when Grima's coming either...

I always found TTT a very Rock-Paper-Scissors type format. A lot of Shadows either hard counter fellowships or are hard counter by them.
Interesting, I haven't thought about it like that before. I hope you do the Shadows too, I'm quite curious now...
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 28, 2018, 04:17:04 PM
Reply #5

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 04:17:04 PM »
I've added the shadows.  Hopefully that's all of them! I firmly believe if you know what deck your opponent is using, it should be easy enough to build a counter deck in TTT. Fellowship Block is different (Last Alliance with Uruks are that popular for a reason).

And I would never hold onto two cards in hand just for Grima. I loved to cycle, and Orc Insurgent gets its bonus anyway.

December 11, 2020, 04:10:56 PM
Reply #6

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 04:10:56 PM »
I stumbled on this post as I was sorting through my Towers block cards and setting aside some decks -- what a great overview, @Legion!