LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: A couple of rules questions  (Read 2986 times)

January 01, 2020, 12:29:39 PM
Read 2986 times

MysteriousWizard

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
A couple of rules questions
« on: January 01, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »
Hi all, a couple of questions about how some cards work:

1. How does the card Catapult work? Does it force the opponent to discard Shadow cards from hand or from play?

2. If I have a Sleepless Dead in play with one wound, and the condition Swept Away and my Sleepless Dead loses a skirmish to a damage +1 minion, does it:
a) die, or
b) take one wound and then become exhausted, at which point Swept Away kicks in and prevents the second wound?

3. What happens in the following situation: I have in play a resistance 10 Frodo with 9 burdens and Sam. and I'm up against a Gollum, Stinker. I put Gollum against Frodo and allow him to be overwhelmed in the skirmish. Does Sam's ability to become the ringbearer kick in before or after Gollum's ability adds a burden?

January 02, 2020, 12:11:02 AM
Reply #1

Kreggers

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Re: A couple of rules questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 12:11:02 AM »
Some great questions. I am not an expert but here are my thoughts:

1. The card does not specify, so the Shadow player should be able to choose whether to discard from hand or from play. If the card revealed is twilight cost 4, and the shadow player only has twilight cost 4 cards in play (not in hand), I would think the one in play would have to be discarded.

2. I would think the Sleepless Dead would die. Damage +1 delivers both damage simultaneously. It wouldn't become exhausted mid-battle.

3. Not sure on this one - I would guess that Sam would takeover for Frodo immediately and Gollum would be able to add a burden to Sam, but am curious what others have to say or if this has been established.

January 02, 2020, 07:37:06 AM
Reply #2

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:37:06 AM »
1. Catapult discards from play.

Quote from: The Comprehensive Rules 4.0
The default meaning of the word "discard" is "discard from play." Discarding from other locations (such as from your hand or from the top of your draw deck) is always specified.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

January 02, 2020, 08:21:48 AM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »
Some great questions. I am not an expert but here are my thoughts
This is where I kindly share that you are wrong on the first two accounts.

1. Catapult discards from play. Air Power cited the rule book above.

2. Swept Away kicks in and prevents the death. There is only one thing in this game that happens simultaneously: assignments. While assigning each minion happens in a particular order, the second the assignments are set everything happens concurrently (thus allowing a card like Southron Chieftain to take effect even if he is the "last minion assigned").

Another way to look at this is the classic wound prevention with Armor. A damage+1 minion would only place one wound if Boromir, Lord of Gondor is wearing Armor. This makes sense. But if you have Gandalf and try to prevent that wound with Intimidate, the first wound would be prevented, but the second wound (the damage+ wound) would then be applied to Boromir. Armor does not negate the damage bonus, it only says that a character can max out at one wound per skirmish phase.

3. Sam could take the ring with his response action, and then Gollum would add a burden. Check out this other conversation on response actions and order of events here.

Cheers.
-wtk
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:34:00 AM by ket_the_jet »

January 02, 2020, 11:35:59 AM
Reply #4

MysteriousWizard

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »
Awesome, thanks a lot!

January 02, 2020, 10:37:08 PM
Reply #5

Kreggers

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:37:08 PM »
Some great questions. I am not an expert but here are my thoughts
This is where I kindly share that you are wrong on the first two accounts.

1. Catapult discards from play. Air Power cited the rule book above.

2. Swept Away kicks in and prevents the death. There is only one thing in this game that happens simultaneously: assignments. While assigning each minion happens in a particular order, the second the assignments are set everything happens concurrently (thus allowing a card like Southron Chieftain to take effect even if he is the "last minion assigned").

Another way to look at this is the classic wound prevention with Armor. A damage+1 minion would only place one wound if Boromir, Lord of Gondor is wearing Armor. This makes sense. But if you have Gandalf and try to prevent that wound with Intimidate, the first wound would be prevented, but the second wound (the damage+ wound) would then be applied to Boromir. Armor does not negate the damage bonus, it only says that a character can max out at one wound per skirmish phase.

3. Sam could take the ring with his response action, and then Gollum would add a burden. Check out this other conversation on response actions and order of events here.

Cheers.
-wtk

Thank you for the clarification!