LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Dwarf + Orc Discarding  (Read 1438 times)

December 22, 2022, 01:47:11 AM
Read 1438 times

slasherz90

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Dwarf + Orc Discarding
« on: December 22, 2022, 01:47:11 AM »
Ring-bearer: Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
Ring: The One Ring, Isildur's Bane

Adventure deck:
East Road
Midgewater Moors
Council Courtyard
Eregion Hills
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Caras Galadhon
The Great River
Shores of Nen Hithoel
Summit of Amon Hen

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Gimli, Dwarf of the Mountain-race
1x Gloin, Friend to Thorin
1x Grimir, Dwarven Elder
1x Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
2x Dwarven Armor
2x Dwarven Axe
2x Dwarven Bracers
2x Hand Axe
1x Hobbit Sword
1x Mithril-coat
4x Axe Strike
4x Flurry of Blows
3x Nobody Tosses a Dwarf
4x What Are We Waiting For?
1x Beneath the Mountains
2x Greatest Kingdom of My People
1x Song of Durin
1x Stairs of Khazad-dum
1x Till Durin Wakes Again

Shadow Draw Deck:
3x Band of the Eye
1x Morgul Warden
2x Orc Ambusher
4x Orc Butcher
4x Orc Inquisitor
2x Orc Trooper
3x Orc Warrior
2x Tower Lieutenant
1x Desperate Measures
2x Hand of Sauron
1x The Irresistible Shadow
2x Thin and Stretched
4x Tower of Barad-dûr
4x Verily I Come

My goal was to chew through my opponent's draw deck and deprive them of key cards while building up to Irresistable Shadow to win. I see some holes in the freeps side already, but the idea was the juice the Dwarves to win skirmishes and trigger the discarding effects between cards like Dwarven Axe or Nobody Tosses a Dwarf. The shadow side did similar things, but since they're Sauron orcs, I ran into early twilight cost issues and condition removal from the opposing freeps side. I was able to get Tower of Barad-dûr into play a few times, but my opponent had multiple copies of Sleep, Caradhras in their deck. I have additional discarding support from my minions, but their cost was a tad prohibitive.

Would love any advice to make this concept work a bit better!

December 23, 2022, 06:13:58 AM
Reply #1

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Re: Dwarf + Orc Discarding
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 06:13:58 AM »
Instead of 4x Verily I Come, run 4x Desperate Defense of the Ring and drop 2 cards to fit 2x Verily I Come. Sauron is not especially strong in FOTR though, as there is no condition protection or recursion.
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

December 23, 2022, 07:43:12 PM
Reply #2

slasherz90

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 07:43:12 PM »
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback and great suggestion on Desperate Defense of the Ring. I'll check in once I play test with these changes!

December 25, 2022, 07:20:34 AM
Reply #3

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 07:20:34 AM »
Besides the fact that most people will dislike you for playing such a deck, because they want to have some enjoyment when playing LotR TCG, not feel like having to do taxes, it doesn't look too bad. The dwarves seema bit weak to swarms, so maybe some PATHS could help. definitely swap Hobbit Sword for Sting, maybe add Bill the Pony instead of one of the events/conditions, and both greenleaf and or Aragorn, RotN as backup could do wonders for you - if not needed, just dicard them.

As for the Shadow, I'm not sure how well you'll pull of a swarm for Morgul Warden. The Number must be few is a nice protection mechanism against large fellowships, and enduring evil often times the wincon you seem to be missing. There's also another orc thst dicards when winning a skirmish with 10 strength (forgot the name) which could work. Some of your choices like Hnd of Sauron and the trackers seem a bit random though, streamlining the deck will do a lot of work.

And just to make sure, DON'T play this deck in a non-league settings, the amount of active players is small eniugh as is, and you shouldn't be a jerk and ruin people's time. In a competitive setting, anything goes, just try to keep some level of empathy and decency. ;)

January 24, 2023, 10:50:09 PM
Reply #4

slasherz90

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 10:50:09 PM »
Apologies for the long delay in replying. Thanks for taking a look and I 100% hear you on not playing this deck in a casual setting; I enjoy theory crafting and just building decks for the fun of it.

I'll look at adding Enduring Evil and streamlining the deck selection per your suggestions!