LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Contest!!! "Shelob's Lair" ready for overall review.  (Read 33036 times)

April 29, 2009, 01:43:37 AM
Reply #45

Smeagollum

Re: So far in unofficious non-released virtualset "Shelob's Lair"
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 01:43:37 AM »
Release or liberate... just a small difference concidering my knowledge of english :D

... but okay I'll make it liberate..
Or should we release a site 10 hahahaha

April 29, 2009, 02:11:18 AM
Reply #46

Smeagollum

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 02:11:18 AM »
And a special card:

[2] Betrayal of The One Ring. [Ring]
Str: +1
Res: +2
Condition
Shadow or Fellowship: Place this condition on The One Ring.
For every unoccupied site on the sitepath the Ringbearers resistance is -1.
Regroup: If the Free People Player can spot no minions, discard this condition.

Why is it special? It's neither a fellowship or a Shadowcard. So you'll be able to play this condition as FPP on your own ring or as shadow on your opponent's. And it has no race, either  creature or culture. Just to make things more interesting.

And another special one.. Only this one is a bit difficult. So you all have to help me out here! I want to have something that can make Smeagol or Gollum take over the ring.. well I think you know what the concept here is.

[2] Gollum's fate. [Ring]
Condition
To Play spot Frodo.
If the Fellowship is at site 9 the site is concidered to be Mount Doom.
Response: If Frodo is about to die at site 9, make Gollum or Smeagol the Ring-bearer instead. (resistance 5). If Gollum or Smeagol survives he's considered to be corrupted. If  Gollum or Smeagol is about to die he's considered to have fallen into Mount Doom and the Free People Player have accomplished their task and win the game.

And I am really anxious to hear your comments about these 2 cards!!!

Added a Rohancard; Well I guess you can guess the theme here  ;D

Yep, the ladies in conflict  :P

[2] Éowyn, Beacon Of A Heart In Flame. [Rohan]
To play spot Arwen.
While you can spot Arwen, Éowyn is strength -3.
Maneuver: Exert Éowyn to play a possession on her from your discard pile or exert her twice to play a mount from your draw deck or discard pile, on Aragorn.

[2] Arwen, Mostly Admired. [Elven]
To play spot Éowyn.
While you can spot Éowyn, Arwen is strength -3.
Skirmish: Exert Arwen make a minion skirmishing Aragorn strength -2 untill the regroup phase.

[3] Faramir, moved by sorrow, pride, and beauty. [Rohan]
While you can spot Éowyn, Faramir is vitality +1.
While you can spot Aragorn, Faramir is strength +1.
Skirmish: Exert Faramir to prevent a Ringbound Hobbit with the Frodo signet from being overwhelmed unless that Hobbit's strength is tripled.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:50:12 AM by Smeagollum »

April 29, 2009, 10:42:03 AM
Reply #47

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 10:42:03 AM »
And a special card:

Condition
unoccupied? like no player token on it?

Condition
To Play spot Frodo.
Response: If Frodo is about to die at site 9, make Gollum or Smeagol the Ring-bearer instead. (resistance 5). If Gollum or Smeagol survives he's considered to be corrupted. If  Gollum or Smeagol is about to die he's considered to have fallen into Mount Doom and the Free People Player have accomplished their task and win the game.
site considered.  that is weird...Um lets see...so you have to kill frodo, than kill gollum in fierce? tad overpowered methinks...again, I'm flabbergasted IDK what to do...brain fries...

To play spot Arwen.
Maneuver: Exert Éowyn to play a possession on her from your discard pile or exert her twice to play a mount from your draw deck or discard pile, on Aragorn.
Complicated, exert her to play a possession from the discard pile on her? IDK its confusing, but from the draw deck is a tad powerful.  Also I don't like that you can't run these together.  I'd say cut the spotting from one of them. I'm not sure...

To play spot Éowyn.
Skirmish: Exert Arwen make a minion skirmishing Aragorn strength -2 until the regroup phase.
Thats weird...I don't know what to say...probably OP, maybe 8?

Skirmish: Exert Faramir to prevent a Ringbound Hobbit with the Frodo signet from being overwhelmed unless that Hobbit's strength is tripled.
vitality bonus...OP! methinks. resistance bonus for eoqyn instead.  Moved by pride woul dbe fine, but all 3 in the subtitle is too much...The skirmish ability is conplicated, I'd just add while you can spot a ringbound hobbit, Faramir gains Valiant, or knight, or ranger or something kewl.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

April 29, 2009, 02:19:54 PM
Reply #48

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2009, 02:19:54 PM »
Condition
It doesn't have a type, but then you call it a condition on the card! Either make the card's type condition, or say "card" in the text. Do you mean "uncontrolled site"? Or do you mean that there's no player counter on it? This card currently only works as a Shadow card because the opponent's Ring is not active during your FP turn, so the card can do nothing. Ah, also, you can always "spot no minions" (Chaotic Clash had to have errata).

Condition
To Play spot Frodo.
Flavour is good, but I think you're taking it a bit too literally. Flavourful cards also have to be mechanically straightforward to be really effective.

To play spot Arwen.

To play spot Éowyn.
Skirmish: Exert Arwen make a minion skirmishing Aragorn strength -2 untill the regroup phase.
This is quite weird, seeing as Éowyn and Arwen were never in direct conflict throughout the story. If you want to represent this dilemma, I suggest you make an Aragorn that gets bonuses and/or penalties for spotting Arwen or Éowyn.

I think the Hobbit text doesn't fit so well with the subtitle. I would make the Aragorn ability strength +2 and leave out the skirmish ability.

Thranduil

April 30, 2009, 04:42:29 AM
Reply #49

Smeagollum

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 04:42:29 AM »
I'll react tomrrow on this. There were festivals over here.. Queensday, but there's probably been an assault on the royal family.. so I gonna follow this...

May 01, 2009, 07:37:49 AM
Reply #50

Smeagollum

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2009, 07:37:49 AM »
Betrayal of The One Ring.
SOP: You're correct
Thran: Never said it has no type.. It's a Condition. I only forgot to make it bold.

Gollum's fate
SOP: Yeah, it's a difficult one. That's why I asked you all to help out with this.
flabbergasted? What does that mean?

Thran: It's also something new.. so still crystalizing this out.

Éowyn, Beacon Of A Heart In Flame.
Arwen, Mostly Admired.

Thran & SOP: They were not in conflict and they are still not. But Eowyn has lesser change with Arwen around and Aragorn did felt something for Eowyn. So that's why the text is there. The only thing I can imagine I would like to change is:
Exert Éowyn to play a possession on her from your discard pile or discard a possesion from her to play a mount from your draw deck or discard pile, on Aragorn.

You still can run them together, but then they have normal strength. They just don't benefit from eachother.

Faramir, moved by sorrow, pride, and beauty.
SOP: I'll change the name later this week. But I still like the Vit. bonus rather then resistance.
Thran: I'll take out the hobbit part.

About queensday...: Well some idiot lost his job and did a suicide-attempt on our royal family during queensday. It was on live-television. There are 6 people dead, including the idiot, who died last night, because of his woundings. Still a bit sad... Also clumsy attempt on a big bus with just a suzuki-car.. and no explosives..So we were lucky that he was stupid as well as mad.

May 05, 2009, 08:36:12 AM
Reply #51

Smeagollum

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2009, 08:36:12 AM »
Condition
It doesn't have a type, but then you call it a condition on the card! Either make the card's type condition, or say "card" in the text. Do you mean "uncontrolled site"? Or do you mean that there's no player counter on it? This card currently only works as a Shadow card because the opponent's Ring is not active during your FP turn, so the card can do nothing. Ah, also, you can always "spot no minions" (Chaotic Clash had to have errata).

You can place it in your shadowturn on your opponent's ring and if you want to place it on your own ring you'll need to do it in your fellowship. Don't see the problem here.
Don't agree with you on spot no minions. See also http://lotrtcgwiki.com/pages/LOTR06109.html
if there are minions present in the regroup you'll not be able to do this. The minions go to your discard pile when the regroupphase ends.

May 06, 2009, 03:09:14 AM
Reply #52

Smeagollum

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 03:09:14 AM »
Changed  "O.. Yes right trough[gollum]" into "Chased By Shadows" {wraith]. Reason.. I remembered the film and remembered Gollum striking Sam's head with a rock.. and then I visioned a card. But I already had 3 gollumcards and as I don't want more then 3 cards per race/culture/site/ring I decided to reimage the card.

Here is the new Gollumcard. Enjoy and shoot:)

[3] Sollid Rock. [Gollum]
Str.: +1
Possesion  • Handweapon
Damage +1
If this possession is played in the fellowship phase then bearer must be Smeagol.
If this possession is played in the shadow phase then bearer must be Gollum.
Bearer gains enduring.
Response: If bearer wins a skirmish you may discard a card from hand to heal bearer.

Also 2 Orc-cards:

[2] Orc Bow. [Orc]
  Possesion  • Ranged Weapon
Bearer must be an [Orc] Orc with strength 10 or more.
Bearer is an Archer.
Archery: You may play only one Archery event once.

[3] Ufthak, Eatened by Shelob. [Orc]
Minion 
When you play Ufthak you may exert Shelob to stack him on a [Gollum] possession.
Regroup: Discard Ufthak from a possession to exert a Ringbound Companion.
Ufthak is strength -4 while you can spot Shelob.

[2] Harad, where the stars are strange. [Men]
Condition
To Play spot 2 sites you control.
Plays on a site you control.
Every time your minion wins a skirmish you may stack a card from hand here.
Regroup Discard a card stacked from here to wound an unbound companion. The Free People Player may add [3] to prevent this.

[2] Southron Arrow. [Men]
Str.: -1
Possesion
Plays on an unbound companion.
Every time Bearer loses a skirmish the Free People Player must reveal his or her hand and discards all Free Peoples cards from hand that have a twilight cost of 1 or less. He or she may wound a ringbound companion to prevent this. Discard this possesion when the ringbearer is exhausted.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:35:40 AM by Smeagollum »

May 06, 2009, 11:02:25 AM
Reply #53

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »
Changed  "O.. Yes right trough[gollum]" into "Chased By Shadows" {wraith]. Reason.. I remembered the film and remembered Gollum striking Sam's head with a rock.. and then I visioned a card. But I already had 3 gollumcards and as I don't want more then 3 cards per race/culture/site/ring I decided to reimage the card.

Here is the new Gollumcard. Enjoy and shoot:)

Possesion  • Handweapon
Damage +1
If this possession is played in the fellowship phase then bearer must be Smeagol.
Bearer gains enduring.
Response: If bearer wins a skirmish you may discard a card from hand to heal bearer.
solid possession, hand weapon.  Title reminds me of the hymn.  wait so it can go either way? needs to have bearer gains Damage +1. 

Also 2 Orc-cards:

[2] Orc Bow. [Orc]
Bearer is an Archer.
the archery ability confusese me.  Cut it, cut the strength requirement and your fine ;)

Minion 
When you play Ufthak you may exert Shelob to stack him on a [Gollum] possession.
fine. eaten. not eatened.

Condition
Regroup Discard a card stacked from here to wound an unbound companion. The Free People Player may add [3] to prevent this.
is that a subtitle? I'm confused.  I think just plays on a site without the spotting 2 would be fine. needs cultural enforcement though.

Possesion
Every time Bearer loses a skirmish the Free People Player must reveal his or her hand and discards all Free Peoples cards from hand that have a twilight cost of 1 or less. He or she may wound a ringbound companion to prevent this. Discard this possesion when the ringbearer is exhausted.
misspelled possession twice.  no cultural enforcement  [-X   the final discard text isn't really neccasary...I would just make it a straight -1 vitality, and have something like it transfer if a companion takes a wound in archery, but perhaps you have to exert a men minion and the freeps can add a threat or 2 or something to prevent it.  just an idea.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

May 06, 2009, 04:09:42 PM
Reply #54

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2009, 04:09:42 PM »
Possesion  • Handweapon
Damage +1
Bearer gains enduring.
Again, I think there's far too much going on there. I'd lose the response action, and it would probably be fine.

[2] Orc Bow. [Orc]
Bearer is an Archer.
Do you not mean strength 10 or less? That is something that has been put on [Orc] cards before and makes mechanical sense. This way doesn't seem to make mechanical or flavour sense to me. And I don't understand that archery ability. What is the intention?

Minion 
I'll forgive you because you're not a native English-speaker, but if you were I would roast you for "eatened"! :twisted: He doesn't need the third line, but he is entertaining.

Condition
As SoP points out, this has a weird title. I would call it either "Harad" or "Strange Stars" or something like that. What I don't like about this is the way you play this condition on a site and then stack cards on the condition - this is confusing gameplay. I think it should be a support area condition and as long as it had some requirement for the [Men] culture on it somewhere (either a simple play requirement or "Each time your [Men] minion..." but is otherwise fine.

Possesion
Surely you want "To play, spot a [Men] archer" or something similar, a) because it makes perfect flavour sense, and b) so that it is culturally reinforced. Yeah, does seem complicated, but it captures the idea of poison reasonably well. I think you should probably just discard 1 card from their hand, but perhaps any card.

Thranduil

May 07, 2009, 01:39:06 AM
Reply #55

Smeagollum

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2009, 01:39:06 AM »
sollid rock
Sop: I'll change it into beare gains damage + 1
T.:You think so? I liked the response-ability. For instance if gollum bears it and he kills a companion using Not This Time! he would be able to heal then when he's fierce he might be able to do it again. That's why I made the cost so high.

Orc bow
Sop + T: I really do mean that bearer must be stronger then 10. I actually don't like the card, but I  also don't like it that Decipher made a ruling on Frenzy of Arrows. Which actually is now unplayable. On the other side I also don't like Frenzy of Arrows. So that's why I limit it to play this event during the archery phase. I want to make it as difficult as possible to play Frenzy of Arrows, so that's why bearer must be stronger then 10. [Orc] Minions of str 10 or more mostly cost 4 or more. So it will cost at least 8 to make the combo with Frenzy of Arrows.

Ufthak:
Sop + T: eaten or eatened.. small step for english-natives, big step for this Dutchman :D
Will change it.

Harad, where the stars are strange.
Sop + t: Well I saw this sentence on wikipedia and loved it. So that's why I wanted to use this tittle:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harad
T: I'll keep it on to be played on a site you control. If people play without conditiondiscard they will still be able to get it away from table if they use site-release. I agree with you on the cultural enforcement.

Southron Arrow
Sop + T: They should ban any word with ss in it :D But for you guys I'll change it. Agreed on cultural enforcement. But gentlemen you forgot something as well... It should be Poisened Southron Arrow :) Mr T.: Thx for suggestion without knowing of the suggestion :)
T: I gonna think about changing the discard ability as you suggested.

Moderations can be found on page 1!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:11:27 AM by Smeagollum »

May 07, 2009, 04:10:12 AM
Reply #56

Smeagollum

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2009, 04:10:12 AM »
[3] Variag Wainrider, Horsemen form Khand . [Men]
Minion
This minion may bear Messenger's Mount.
While you spot this minion Messenger's Mount is non-unique.
Skirmish: Exert this minion to play Messenger's Mount from your discard pile.
Khand was under the influence of Mordor and supplied it with horses.

[3] Death! [Rohan]
Condition
Bearer must be a [Rohan] man or Merry.
Skirmish: Dicard this condition to replace bearer with a companion in your Death Pile.

[5] Death is just a new path! [Gandalf]
ConditionSupport Area
To play spot Gandalf.
Assignment: Discard this condition to assign a companion in your Death Pile to a Skirmish.
When the skirmish is resolved the companion returns to your Death Pile.

[2]The Elf of the Wand.[Gandalf]
EventSpell
Maneuver: Exert an [Elven] companion to play a staff from your discard pile or exert Gandalf and Elrond to discard a shadow possession or Artifact.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:13:30 AM by Smeagollum »

May 07, 2009, 02:11:50 PM
Reply #57

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »
Wording isn't mine strong point either (long 'I' used here :D), but a few points first. It is Dead Pile, instead of death pile. Death is meer 'de dood' als in: ik ben niet (of wel) bang voor de dood, en Dead is dood als in: hij is dood. Sorry guys, had to explain something in dutch there.

First card:

Small note: Think it should be Horseman from Khand, for it is a single unit and men is plural (correct me if I'm wrong you native speaking people). Nice to see horse loving Easterlings here though, reminds me of a dreadfull movie I have once seen: All the Pretty Horses
Other than that, I like the card, nothing too strong or out of line...maybe introduce a few new horses.

Second card:

I think it is strong, I think too strong, but I could be wrong. With like On Your Doorstep you could get Death back all the time and you could cycle your dead pile over and over, no way anyone will really die, they just keep on changing with their buddies in the dead pile....

Third card:

I like the concept. I like it, allthough it seems more like Dark magic than something that Gandalf would do....summoning the Dead to appear and fight.

Fourth card:

First ability kinda cool, and promising, the second a tad disappointing. Roll of Thunder is the same, but cheaper. But maybe balanced because of the first ability....But than again, how many times do you get a staff in the discard pile? With Staff Assunder maybe :D
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

May 07, 2009, 04:18:37 PM
Reply #58

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2009, 04:18:37 PM »
[3] Variag Wainrider, Horsemen form Khand . [Men]
Minion
This minion may bear Messenger's Mount.
While you spot this minion Messenger's Mount is non-unique.
Skirmish: Exert this minion to play Messenger's Mount from your discard pile.
Yeah, GE is right. I would make this card "Horsemen of Khand" and then make another card "Variag Wainrider" - no point losing 2 great titles on 1 card. This seems really clunky to me - why make a card that has to rewrite another specific card in order to work? Much simpler idea: make the skirmish action play a [Men] mount from your discard pile, then make some mounts that he (and others) can bear.

[3] Death! [Rohan]
Condition
Skirmish: Dicard this condition to replace bearer with a companion in your Death Pile.
Weirdly hilarious, but exceedingly strong - probably too strong. I'd prefer "Place bearer in the dead pile to shuffle a companion in your dead pile into your draw deck" or something else which doesn't give you the companion straight away, then it might be okay.

ConditionSupport Area
To play spot Gandalf.
Assignment: Discard this condition to assign a companion in your Death Pile to a Skirmish.
Now this is also insane. Reminds me of Makeshift Manikin from MTG. I also agree with GE that the flavour doesn't quite fit. In fact, I'd prefer if [Gandalf] got all of the dead pile interactions, not [Rohan] (given that it's already something he does, Sent Back, Well Met Indeed etc.) so I would not make that [Rohan] card Death! but make this card do what Death! did (well, a more balanced version of what Death! did).

EventSpell
Maneuver: Exert an [Elven] companion to play a staff from your discard pile or exert Gandalf and Elrond to discard a shadow possession or Artifact.
I reckon you could have something like "Exert an [Elven] companion to play a [Gandalf] artifact from your draw deck or discard pile" which would be cool and simple. Then, you could also make a cycle of these cross-culture events, which would also be cool. You have put "spell" and "maneuver" in the wrong places though - "Maneuver" belongs as the event's subtype (after the •) and "spell" belongs in the text of the card.

Thranduil

May 08, 2009, 12:36:40 AM
Reply #59

Smeagollum

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2009, 12:36:40 AM »
1 card:
GE+T: Both thx. Yeah I like both titles as well. But there is where my problem started. In this set I only wanted to make 3 cards of each race/culture and I allready have 2 cards for evil men. So here I am with 2 great titles and only one card and then I decided to give the card both titles. Then another problem arose: I wanted the card to do something cool with horses. But with no room for more cards I could not make a new mount. The only horse in evil men culture is messenger's mount and then I saw this solution. I need to rethink this. Maybe I can use the wraith steeds instead... what do you think? Would this make it better?

[3] Horsemen form Khand . [Men]
Minion
This minion may bear a [Wraith] Mount.
Skirmish: Exert this minion to play  a [Wraith] Mount from your discard pile.

2+3 card: First I designed Death. When I made Death is just a new path I was actually confronted with the follwing. Death is a card which doesn't belong in Rohan but in Gandalf. I could do 2 things merge the card into one gandalfcard or leave it and wait for your reactions to it. Strangely you almost say the same. I don't think it's to overpowered. The cards are unique and quite expensive. I disagree with you about the flavour: Doesn't Gandalf advise Aragorn to take the path of the dead?
Would this make it better?

[3] Death! [Rohan]
Condition
Possesions and conditions on bearer may not be discarded by a shadowcard.
Skirmish: Dicard this condition and place bearer in your Death Pile to wound a minion another companion is skirmishing twice.

ConditionSupport Area
To play spot Gandalf.
Assignment: Discard this condition to assign an enduring [Gondor] companion in your Death Pile to a Skirmish.

4 card:
Ge: It's a combination of Roll of thunder and an action to make Staff Asunder more playable.
T.: hey I live in Amsterdam, which is a meltpot with a lot of cross-culture events. So there's where the inspiration came from.. haha

Event 
Spell
To play spot a Wizard.
Maneuver: Exert an [Elven] companion to play a staff from your discard pile.
Skirmish: Exert Gandalf or Elrond to discard from play an unassigned minion, who's bearing a shadow possession or an artifact. The shadow player may liberate a site to prevent this.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:23:56 AM by Smeagollum »