LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Encircled by Wraiths - A DC set by Foresight  (Read 12373 times)

May 23, 2009, 05:10:39 PM
Read 12373 times

Foresight

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Hunting your kind down...
    • Myspace
Encircled by Wraiths - A DC set by Foresight
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »
Ok, *cracks fingers* here goes nothing.  Time for a new DC set!  This set will concentrate on scenes from "The Fellowship of the Ring" where the Nazgul go after the Hobbits.  Definitely other strategies and cultures in the set, also take note of the new keywords!  I won't get intricate like doing lore or rarity, but if you have a question as to the origins or the purpose of a card feel free to ask!

Aggressive. (Skirmishes involving aggressive minions must be resolved before any others.)

Upkeep - Action. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must perform the action or discard this card.)

Cultures in this set:

[Dwarven]
[Elven]
[Gandalf]
[Rohan] - In-Progress!
[Shire]
[Uruk]
[Wraith]
[Men]
[Orc]
[Gollum]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:18:31 PM by Foresight »
Like a force of nature, the Uruks are Unstoppable. [Uruk]

May 23, 2009, 05:15:24 PM
Reply #1

Foresight

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • Myspace
Re: Encircled by Wraiths - A DC set by Foresight
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:15:24 PM »
[Rohan] Masterlist

(0) Called to War [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Fellowship:  Add [2] to stack a [Rohan] companion from play on this condition (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).
Maneuver:  Play a [Rohan] companion from this condition as if played from hand.

[1] Swords Drawn [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Spot two [Rohan] companions. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must spot two [Rohan] companions or discard this condition.)
Response:  If a [Rohan] companion is played, play a [Rohan] possession on that companion.

[2] Rohirrim Banner-Bearer [Rohan]
Companion • Man
Strength: 5
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 7
Valiant.
When you play this companion, he is strength +2 until the regroup phase (or if played during a phase other than the fellowship phase, each [Rohan] companion is strength +2 and resistance +1 until the end of the turn).

[2]Eowyn, Spirited Defender [Rohan]
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Resistance: 6
Valiant.
Each companion played during a phase other than the fellowship phase is twilight cost -1.
Skirmish:  Discard a card from hand to play a [Rohan] possession on your [Rohan] man (if a [Rohan] possession is played on Eowyn this way, she is defender +1 until the regroup phase).

[3]Eomer, Loyal to Rohan [Rohan]
Companion • Man
Strength: 7
Valiant.
While you can spot a [Rohan] Man, Eomer's twilight cost is -1.
Regroup:  Discard a [Rohan] companion stacked on your [Rohan] condition to discard a minion or remove [4].

[1] In-Fighting [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Rohan] companion strength +2 (or +4  if you discard a [Rohan] companion stacked on a condition).

[2]The King's Men [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Exert Théoden. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must exert Théoden or discard this condition.)
At the start of the regroup phase, you may stack a [Rohan] companion on this condition (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).
Skirmish:  Spot a [Rohan] companion stacked on this condition to exchange that companion with your unwounded [Rohan] companion in play (discarding all cards borne by that companion).  You may do this only once each skirmish.

[3]Théoden, Enlightened King [Rohan]
Companion • Man
Valiant.
Each time you play a companion during the maneuver phase, Théoden is strength +1 until the regroup phase.
Each time you play a companion during the assignment phase, Théoden is damage +1 until the regroup phase.

[1] Rohirrim Longspear [Rohan]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength: +2
Bearer must be a [Rohan] companion.
You may add [1] to play this possession as if it were a maneuver event.

(0) Thrust into the Fray [Rohan]
Event • Assignment
Play a [Rohan] companion stacked on your [Rohan] condition as if played from hand.

[1]Decision to Make [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a [Rohan] companion.
Assignment:  Exert a mounted [Rohan] companion to assign an aggressive minion to skirmish that companion.  That minion loses aggressive and cannot gain aggressive until the regroup phase.
Regroup:  Discard this condition to choose one:  place a [Rohan] possession from your discard pile on top of your draw deck or shuffle two [Rohan] possessions from your discard pile into your draw deck.

[5] Declaration [Rohan]
Event • Assignment
Toil 2.
Assign a minion to skirmish a [Rohan] man to exert that minion and make it strength -2 until the regroup phase.

[2] War Horse [Rohan]
Possession • Mount
Bearer must be a [Rohan] man.
You may exert a [Rohan] man to play this possession as if were a maneuver event on that man.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, each minion skirmishing bearer must exert.

[3] Volley [Rohan]
Event • Archery
Discard any number of [Rohan] companions stacked on a [Rohan] condition to add 1 to the fellowship archery total for each companion discarded this way.

[2] Rohirrim Armory
Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Exert a [Rohan] man.  (At the start of the regroup phase, you must exert a [Rohan] man or discard this condition.)
Fellowship:  Stack a [Rohan] possession from hand here.
Response:  If a [Rohan] companion is about to take a wound in a skirmish, discard a [Rohan] possession from here to prevent that.

[1] Spirited Charge [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish
Discard a mount borne by your [Rohan] companion to exert a minion skirmishing that companion.

[2] Nighttime Slaughter [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Each time a [Rohan] companion kills a minion in a skirmish, you may stack that companion here (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).
Regroup:  Discard a [Rohan] companion stacked here to discard a minion.

[2] Rohirrim Reserves [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Rohan] companion strength +1 for each [Rohan] companion in your discard pile.

[2] Muster the Rohirrim [Rohan]
Event • Fellowship
Spot a [Rohan] companion stacked on a [Rohan] condition to stack a [Rohan] companion from your discard pile on that condition.

[6] Out of the Shadow [Rohan]
Event • Maneuver
Toil 2.
Discard two [Rohan] companions stacked on a [Rohan] condition to discard a minion.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:16:41 AM by Foresight »

May 23, 2009, 06:55:38 PM
Reply #2

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
what be rohan doin here yar!
Condition • Support Area
Fellowship:  Add [2] to stack a [Rohan] companion from play on this condition (returning all cards borne by that companion to hand).
Ok...I'm trying to figure out the usefulness of this...you get to remove wounds, and replay possessions.  Ooo Eowyns sword DB!

[1] Swords Drawn [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Spot two [Rohan] companions. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must spot two [Rohan] companions or discard this condition.)
Response:  If a [Rohan] companion is played during the maneuver phase, play a [Rohan] possession on that companion.
I sense a theme ;) would the possession be played from hand correct?

Companion • Man
If played from a [Rohan] condition, this companion is strength +2 until the end of the turn.
you could go like warrior of rohan, and make it each orhan companion...though that could get OP fast...your probably fine.

Companion • Man
Each companion played from a [Rohan] condition is twilight cost -1.
kewl

Companion • Man
If Eomer is played from a [Rohan] condition, you may exert him to play a [Rohan] mount from your deck or discard pile on him.
fine.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

May 23, 2009, 08:43:28 PM
Reply #3

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »
Just a minor comment first...I thought this was a Fellowship of the Ring set? I mean, not that I'm complaining, as this looks like a neat concept below, but uh....

Anyway. On to the cards!

Quote from: Foresight
Condition • Support Area
Fellowship:  Add [2] to stack a [Rohan] companion from play on this condition (returning all cards borne by that companion to hand).
I already see potential for this with the "when you play" companions like Keeper of Oaths, Erkenbrand, Riddermark Soldier, Riders of the Mark, and Rohirrim Army, but I know you have even more in mind....

[1] Swords Drawn [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Response:  If a [Rohan] companion is played during the maneuver phase, play a [Rohan] possession on that companion.
Good, good. It's the fact that it's non-unique that really makes it tick. Perhaps allow this to work in any phase except fellowship, which would even better set up the guys I mentioned above? Just a thought.

Companion • Man
If played from a [Rohan] condition, this companion is strength +2 until the end of the turn.
Seems a little meh, actually. Perhaps give him 7 resistance and valiant? Alternatively, I might even consider strength +3 for the ability.

Companion • Man
Yeah, she definately needs more to see use above other versions of Eowyn. I'd rather this ability be on some other unique companion (lesser known than Eowyn, Eomer, or Theoden), or for this to have something else that really sets it apart from other Eowyns. Perhaps resistance 7 and valiant...and maybe even hunter 1? That's only if you intend to use hunter, of course, but it would definately make her more useful.

Or maybe.... :-k With her subtitle, perhaps some way to get a defender bonus?

Companion • Man
If Eomer is played from a [Rohan] condition, you may exert him to play a [Rohan] mount from your deck or discard pile on him.
"...from your draw deck...". He's alright, but again, I think valiant would do him some good. And actually, you might be able to get away with not exerting him for that ability. It's pretty specific, after all.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

May 24, 2009, 03:39:58 AM
Reply #4

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 03:39:58 AM »
Condition • Support Area
This is cool. Very powerful with Rohirrim Army, but that's good! There might be a rules issue here though: what happens if the companion bears a Shadow condition? I think you need to say "returning all cards borne by that companion to their owner's hand".

[1] Swords Drawn [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Meh, not a fan. This seems too linear to me - I want this card to work with all the previous guys DI mentioned, not to force you to use the above condition. Make it like a Red Arrow and make it play a guy during the maneuver phase with a possession no him, otherwise I don't see the use.

Companion • Man
Again, I don't like this. I think it should be "When you play this companion, he is strength +2..." then maybe have some brackets saying "(if this companion was not played during the fellowship phase, make each companion strength +2 until the regroup phase)" or something else.

Companion • Man
Also don't like this one. There's certainly no incentive to use her over the big Éowyn's - even in this strategy I'd play Lady of Ithilien so that I can heal her by putting her on conditions. And it's still too linear. I don't think you should spoonfeed us a deck-type, I think you should make cool cards that can combo in this deck type if you so choose.

Companion • Man
There's no reason this guy couldn't be "When you play Éomer..." - you don't need the restriction.

So as I've been saying, I don't want to see such a linear strategy. Make cool cards, then let us (the deckbuilders) put them together! [Rohan] already has a theme of playing guys and things at off-times, why don't you expand that rather than restrict it? Just my thoughts here.

Thranduil

May 24, 2009, 06:19:57 PM
Reply #5

Foresight

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:19:57 PM »
You guys are great!  I modified my original cards and I'd like you to tell me what you think of these ones.  ;D

Condition • Support Area
Fellowship:  Add [2] to stack a [Rohan] companion from play on this condition (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).

[1] Swords Drawn [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Response:  If a [Rohan] companion is played, play a [Rohan] possession on that companion.

Companion • Man
Valiant.
When you play this companion, he is strength +2 until the regroup phase (or if played during a phase other than the fellowship phase, each [Rohan] companion is strength +2 and resistance +1 until the end of the turn).

Companion • Man
Valiant.
Each companion played during a phase other than the fellowship phase is twilight cost -1.
Skirmish:  Discard a card from hand to play a [Rohan] possession on your [Rohan] man (if a [Rohan] possession is played on Eowyn this way, she is defender +1 until the regroup phase).

Companion • Man
Valiant.
Regroup:  Discard a [Rohan] companion stacked on your [Rohan] condition to discard a minion or remove [4].
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:16:25 PM by Foresight »

May 25, 2009, 01:21:55 AM
Reply #6

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:21:55 AM »
Condition • Support Area
Fellowship:  Add [2] to stack a [Rohan] companion from play on this condition (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand; Shadow cards borne by that companion are discarded).
You don't need to specify about the Shadow cards - they get discarded by default. If you say "returning all Free Peoples cards..." then that covers your bases.

[1] Swords Drawn [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Yeah, this seems strong now. Especially as you can respond multiple times. :up:

Companion • Man
Valiant.
Yeah, I like it.

Companion • Man
Valiant.
I'm not sure just playing it from hand is worth it, but then from anywhere else seems a bit too good. I'm not sure about this one, see what other people think.

Companion • Man
Valiant.
Regroup:  Discard a [Rohan] companion stacked on your [Rohan] condition to discard a minion or remove [3].
I think I'd make it remove [4], but otherwise fair enough. How about "Discard a card stacked on your [Rohan] condition" so that you can combo this with Sword Rack?

Thranduil

May 25, 2009, 04:55:10 AM
Reply #7

Smeagollum

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 04:55:10 AM »
I like the cards... however I rather would like it if called to war was an artifact (like The Shards of Narsil) with a picture of gimli blowing on the big horn, before Aragorn and Theoden ride out to meet the Uruks.

Nice job! Like the upkeep idea! Will there be upkeep companions?

May 25, 2009, 09:18:48 AM
Reply #8

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:18:48 AM »
You guys are great!  I modified my original cards and I'd like you to tell me what you think of these ones.  ;D

Condition • Support Area
Fellowship:  Add [2] to stack a [Rohan] companion from play on this condition (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand; Shadow cards borne by that companion are discarded).
Maneuver:  Play a [Rohan] companion from this condition as if played from hand.'
fine.

[1] Swords Drawn [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
Response:  If a [Rohan] companion is played, play a [Rohan] possession on that companion
uh sure I guess. .

Companion • Man
Valiant.
end of the regroup phase would be enough methinks.

Companion • Man
Valiant.
seems way to good on site 9...armor,hand weapon, ranged weapon, mount...DEFENDER +5!
needs some sort of limit

Companion • Man
Valiant.
Regroup:  Discard a [Rohan] companion stacked on your [Rohan] condition to discard a minion or remove [3].
fine.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

May 25, 2009, 07:14:28 PM
Reply #9

Foresight

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 07:14:28 PM »
I updated the cards, and to sickofpalantirs:  I figure I should keep Eowyn the way she is because it makes for a viable strategy and also this strategy currently dumps pool in a phase other than the fellowship phase for companions/possessions and it could possibly be tough to double.  But I haven't made more cards for it yet...until now!  ;)

[1] In-Fighting [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Rohan] companion strength +2 (or +4  if you discard a [Rohan] companion stacked on a condition).

Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Exert Théoden. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must exert Théoden or discard this condition.)
At the start of the regroup phase, you may stack a [Rohan] companion on this condition (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).
Skirmish:  Spot a [Rohan] companion stacked on this condition to exchange that companion with your [Rohan] companion in play (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).  You may do this only once each skirmish.

Companion • Man
Valiant.
Each time you play a companion during the maneuver phase, Théoden is strength +1 until the regroup phase.
Each time you play a companion during the assignment phase, Théoden is damage +1 until the regroup phase.

Possession • Hand Weapon

Event • Assignment
Play a [Rohan] companion stacked on your [Rohan] condition as if played from hand.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:24:01 PM by Foresight »

May 26, 2009, 02:03:26 AM
Reply #10

Smeagollum

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 02:03:26 AM »

[1] In-Fighting [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Rohan] companion strength +2 (or +3 and damage +1 if you have played a [Rohan] companion during a phase other than the fellowship phase this turn).

I like all the cards except for this one. Actually playing a companion during the manouverphase is already a big advantage and supports twillightdenial massively. To get another bonus +1 extra str & +1 damage via this event is a bit to much I think. I rather would see it like something: If you can spot a stacked companion on called to war.
Speaking of called to war: Maybe add if he's not assigned to a skirmish, otherwise it's a to strong way to duck skirmishes and heal comps.

May 26, 2009, 02:08:14 AM
Reply #11

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 02:08:14 AM »
[1] In-Fighting [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Rohan] companion strength +2 (or +3 and damage +1 if you have played a [Rohan] companion during a phase other than the fellowship phase this turn).
Hmmm... What's the flavour of this card?

Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Spot Théoden. (At the start of the regroup phase, you must spot Théoden or discard this condition.)
Skirmish:  Spot a [Rohan] companion stacked on this condition to exchange that companion with your [Rohan] companion in play (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).
This seems incredibly powerful, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing... I think make the upkeep exert Théoden, and I think it would be more balanced and more interesting.

Companion • Man
Valiant.
Each time you stack a [Rohan] companion on a [Rohan] condition, you may discard two cards from hand to draw a card.
Wow, that's very entertaining! Nice job.

Possession • Hand Weapon
You may play this possession as if it were a maneuver event.  If you do, add [1].
Normally it would be worded like "You may add [1] to play this possession any time you could play a maneuver event" but it's fair enough.

Event • Assignment
I don't think I'd use this - it's too limited.

Thranduil

May 26, 2009, 10:20:11 AM
Reply #12

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:11 AM »
I updated the cards, and to sickofpalantirs:  I figure I should keep Eowyn the way she is because it makes for a viable strategy and also this strategy currently dumps pool in a phase other than the fellowship phase for companions/possessions and it could possibly be tough to double.  But I haven't made more cards for it yet...until now!  ;)

[1] In-Fighting [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish

Condition • Support Area
Skirmish:  Spot a [Rohan] companion stacked on this condition to exchange that companion with your [Rohan] companion in play (returning all Free Peoples cards borne by that companion to hand).
all the kings horses and all the kings men, couldn't make theodens mind whole again. ..
this is just so mind blowingly weird I can't even begin to think of combos...the one I'm think of Eowyn lady of ithilien, exhaust her, than replace her with another one. lather rinse repeat. 

Companion • Man
Valiant.
Each time you stack a [Rohan] companion on a [Rohan] condition, you may discard two cards from hand to draw a card.
I think it'd be fine without the last ability.  Enlightened? I am in a happy place...there are horses lots of horses...

Possession • Hand Weapon
fine.

Event • Assignment
kewl
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

May 26, 2009, 06:14:46 PM
Reply #13

Aragorn_Ellessar

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »

[1] In-Fighting [Rohan]
Event • Skirmish
ok, I guess

Condition • Support Area
this could turn out OP. Maybe a non-unique companion instead?

Companion • Man
Valiant.
I don't think you really need the last line.

Possession • Hand Weapon
This reminds me a lot of the RotK spear, except that one was in the skirmish phase. Anyway, not bad

Event • Assignment
This would work well with King's Men and Theoden, Enlightened King.

One Ring to rule them all.
One Ring to find them.
One Ring to bring them all,
And in the darkness, bind them.

May 26, 2009, 08:22:06 PM
Reply #14

Foresight

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »
BTW if nobody's noticed I have been rewarding :gp: for the reviews that help me.  So far, that is all of you who have replied!  I'm letting my creativity connect from my head to the computer and churning out new strategies!  That's the whole point of my DC set.  It also lets me think "hmmm, what if existing cards were comboed with these new ones?"  Anywho, one thing wrecks the companion stacking: condition discarding.  Also minions like Black Lord trigger when a companion is played, and if used against this [Rohan] strategy...it won't take long for the ringbearer to be exhausted. ;)  I figured with In-Fighting that my strategy needed a skirmish event.  Now I'm going to make it discard someone stacked and no damage bonus.  Theoden's third line will also be removed.  On with the next!  I believe I will do 20 cards for each culture, so after this next batch there will be only one more for [Rohan]!

[1]Decision to Make [Rohan]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a [Rohan] companion.
Assignment:  Exert a mounted [Rohan] companion to assign an aggressive minion to skirmish that companion.  That minion loses aggressive and cannot gain aggressive until the regroup phase.
Regroup:  Discard this condition to choose one:  place a [Rohan] possession from your discard pile on top of your draw deck or shuffle two [Rohan] possessions from your discard pile into your draw deck.

[5] Declaration [Rohan]
Event • Assignment
Toil 2.
Assign a minion to skirmish a [Rohan] man to exert that minion and make it strength -2 until the regroup phase.

[2] War Horse [Rohan]
Possession • Mount
Bearer must be a [Rohan] man.
You may exert a [Rohan] man to play this possession as if were a maneuver event on that man.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, each minion skirmishing bearer must exert.

[3] Volley [Rohan]
Event • Archery
Discard any number of [Rohan] companions stacked on a [Rohan] condition to add 1 to the fellowship archery total for each companion discarded this way.

[2] Rohirrim Armory
Condition • Support Area
Upkeep - Exert a [Rohan] man.  (At the start of the regroup phase, you must exert a [Rohan] man or discard this condition.)
Fellowship:  Stack a [Rohan] possession from hand here.
Response:  If a [Rohan] companion is about to take a wound in a skirmish, discard a [Rohan] possession from here to prevent that.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:23:39 PM by Foresight »