LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: So...what's my card worth?  (Read 420580 times)

August 11, 2011, 04:20:55 AM
Reply #915

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: So...what's my card worth?
« Reply #915 on: August 11, 2011, 04:20:55 AM »
If a card isn't mint or factory mint it's worth 0 dollars to a mint only collector.

How was that a helpful comment?
-wtk

August 11, 2011, 04:06:04 PM
Reply #916

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #916 on: August 11, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »
By pointing out that mint only collectors exist I am being helpful - both to those who see their cards as an investment and those who want to invest in Lotr TCG cards in the future second hand market. Hope that clears it up for you.

Oh, I wasn't confused by your statement. But I'm not the kind of person who says, "Obvious Troll is Obvious" or something like that.

If you are only interested in mint cards, make it clear on your trade page or PMs. But there was absolutely no reason to make the statement as it was absolutely irrelevant to SomeRandomDude's question and the purpose of this thread.
-wtk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:00:56 AM by ket_the_jet »

August 11, 2011, 05:22:41 PM
Reply #917

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #917 on: August 11, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »
I think he was responding to the thread title, not a specific question.  Maybe it would help to call the thread "What's my card worth on the market?" or something like that.  Then it is clear that people aren't just saying how much the card is worth to them and avoids statements like "That card is worthless to me because I only collect Foils/Mint/pre-shadows/cards that I don't have a playset/etc"
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

August 12, 2011, 04:00:22 AM
Reply #918

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #918 on: August 12, 2011, 04:00:22 AM »
Listen, I'm not going to sit here and bicker on the message boards, but I still contend that your post added nothing to the sixty-five pages of the thread. But you questioned my intelligence and comprehension; I just can't have that.

Since you've asked, let's dive into the definition of 'worth,' relative to this thread. When used as a noun, 'worth' denotes a monetary equivalence or market value of an item or service. I think the nomenclature misunderstanding is that you have confused 'worth' and 'value.' 'Value' in short, is a personal desirability of said item or service. I won't get into the etymologies of either word, but suffice it to say, they are old words ['value' being the more recent addition to lexicon] and, until now, I thought the definitions were largely understood.

As an example, a non-mint, say, Goblin Armory might only be 'worth' a few dollars; however, to a collector looking for mint-only cards, that card would have no 'value.' Does that clear things up?

Personally, I think the first response on the thread covered your original point aptly:
You should also note that different people value cards differently.

Case in point, I only collect foils that I use in my decks; however, I still acknowledge that a card has 'worth' and someone might think a non-foil Goblin Armory is aye-okay. I, frankly, don't want it because the card has no 'value' to me.

Most collectors deal in mint cards, and in online trading, the simple question "is it mint?" is absolutely expected. Common online trading and selling rapport is for a non-mint card to be listed as such to avoid the elitists [don't worry, I'm one too] from even taking the time to inquire upon the card.

In conclusion, I guess there was a nomenclature misunderstanding not only on the the definition of "worth," but on the definition of "spam." This thread wasn't set up to lord around personal values and preferences; rather, is a helpful spot for those unfamiliar with the market 'worth' of a card to get a few friendly opinions.

Cheers.
-wtk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:06:54 AM by ket_the_jet »

August 12, 2011, 08:45:25 AM
Reply #919

Finisterle

« Reply #919 on: August 12, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »
I have read
Listen, I'm not going to sit here and bicker on the message boards, but I still contend that your post added nothing to the sixty-five pages of the thread. But you questioned my intelligence and comprehension; I just can't have that.

Since you've asked, let's dive into the definition of 'worth,' relative to this thread. When used as a noun, 'worth' denotes a monetary equivalence or market value of an item or service. I think the nomenclature misunderstanding is that you have confused 'worth' and 'value.' 'Value' in short, is a personal desirability of said item or service. I won't get into the etymologies of either word, but suffice it to say, they are old words ['value' being the more recent addition to lexicon] and, until now, I thought the definitions were largely understood.

As an example, a non-mint, say, Goblin Armory might only be 'worth' a few dollars; however, to a collector looking for mint-only cards, that card would have no 'value.' Does that clear things up?

Personally, I think the first response on the thread covered your original point aptly:
You should also note that different people value cards differently.

Case in point, I only collect foils that I use in my decks; however, I still acknowledge that a card has 'worth' and someone might think a non-foil Goblin Armory is aye-okay. I, frankly, don't want it because the card has no 'value' to me.

Most collectors deal in mint cards, and in online trading, the simple question "is it mint?" is absolutely expected. Common online trading and selling rapport is for a non-mint card to be listed as such to avoid the elitists [don't worry, I'm one too] from even taking the time to inquire upon the card.

In conclusion, I guess there was a nomenclature misunderstanding not only on the the definition of "worth," but on the definition of "spam." This thread wasn't set up to lord around personal values and preferences; rather, is a helpful spot for those unfamiliar with the market 'worth' of a card to get a few friendly opinions.

Cheers.
-wtk

I have read your posts.
You say you don't bicker.
But that is exactly what you seem to be doing here. And leaving snotty remarks like "you're ten years too late" when someone is happy they got a Legolas Greenleaf in foil.

I have never said that different people don't value cards differently. That IS in fact what I said when I illuminated the perspective of the mint only collector.

A mint only collector will not buy your foil super rare if it is scratched unless he plans to give it away or thinks he can sell it on for a higher price. To him that card has no true value.

What I should have included in my first post is that a mint only collector will deny the validity of any grading made by people who don't inspect the cards the way he does - under a lamp for instance.

Is such a person an annoying git ? No he isn't. His high demands on condition influences other people to take better care of their cards and the cards of their opponents during games.

Now... get off my back wtk, go home to Mordor and stay there.

August 12, 2011, 10:15:26 AM
Reply #920

LOTRFreak15

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #920 on: August 12, 2011, 10:15:26 AM »
Dude your are giving out useless info. Or info that people already. SomeRandomDude asked a question and I answered him. You didn't have to add anything. I mean geez.....

August 12, 2011, 11:43:39 AM
Reply #921

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #921 on: August 12, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
That will do children
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

August 12, 2011, 04:34:19 PM
Reply #922

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #922 on: August 12, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »
So, it isn't about an individual card, but I can't figure out why War of the Ring Anthologies are so  expensive.  Of the contents:
Elvish cards, ~$20
Bloodlines boosters ~$2 each
Shadows boosters ~$1.3 each
Black Rider boosters ~$2.2 each
Starter deck max $15

These are all fairly generous estimates of value (meaning I took the first listing and rounded up) with booster prices determined by dividing a booster box price by 36.

So that gives us a total cost of $46, minus the box (which is the same as the other anthologies, so $20 if you pay full price for another anthology and then throw out the cards) and the collector's list, which I can't imagine is worth the remaining difference of $70.  I've neglected the cost of shipping on the assumption that one can get at least some of the items from the same seller.

So, what gives?
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

August 12, 2011, 07:05:33 PM
Reply #923

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #923 on: August 12, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »
The cards are mint.  ;) haha

August 13, 2011, 08:25:25 PM
Reply #924

doyouknowthetimes

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #924 on: August 13, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »
Tengwar Anduril?

August 13, 2011, 09:02:04 PM
Reply #925

Doom

• Information Offline
  • Troll
  • Master of Doom, by Doom mastered. (AKA doomkitty)
« Reply #925 on: August 13, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
If ebay is correct, you're in luck since some guy has one listed for $130. Though I honestly doubt they go for that much.

August 13, 2011, 09:03:44 PM
Reply #926

doyouknowthetimes

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #926 on: August 13, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »
I've got 3 of 'em too :uh-huh:

August 13, 2011, 11:47:08 PM
Reply #927

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #927 on: August 13, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »
Dreadful waste of money
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

August 14, 2011, 05:53:29 AM
Reply #928

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #928 on: August 14, 2011, 05:53:29 AM »
If ebay is correct, you're in luck since some guy has one listed for $130. Though I honestly doubt they go for that much.

That is stealing. When I was about to trade mine, I saw some in the $30-50 range.

August 14, 2011, 10:47:51 AM
Reply #929

Bascas

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • The Numenorean