LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: V1: The One Ring (alpha playtests)  (Read 40858 times)

February 14, 2011, 09:28:41 AM
Reply #30

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Virtual Set #1: The Process (The One Ring)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
I think we should leave until the end of the week (Sunday 20th Feb) to receive any further suggestions or comments. Then we will pick out the suggestions we like the most, vote, and move into playtesting phase. Sound good?

Sounds fair to me.

February 14, 2011, 12:43:14 PM
Reply #31

Kralik

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »
I like Tbiesty's idea as well, but it just occurred to me that it's almost obsoletes Such A Weight to Carry. If you use Such A Weight to Carry even once, it's like the -1 vitality bonus. Twice and the new ring is better. On the other hand, the new right would be very painful to run with an ARB vs. Twilight Nazgul... :-k

EDIT: I wonder if +1/-1 would be a more balanced alternative.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:49:46 PM by Kralik »

February 14, 2011, 12:58:18 PM
Reply #32

Kralik

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
Basically the Rong of Rings with stength Bonus instead of Resistance. I'd found interesting to have a line like: "Exert the Ring-Bearer twice to take off the One Ring", but that would pretty much destroy some of those "Force to put on the One Ring" strategies.

I don't think so. I'm not sure if it would be useful, since the most common way to FORCE putting on the ring (Resistance Becomes Unbearable) would overcome the ability.

February 14, 2011, 01:45:12 PM
Reply #33

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 01:45:12 PM »
Well, I was never a huge fan of those -1 Vitality abilities, but what can you do...

Basically, creating a new Ring is like creating new Duals in MtG. You try to tweak, it, but not too much, as it could become more powerful that the standard one. I also would never, ever risk having a 2-vitality RB in my starting fellowship, as any good wounding Deck would kill him during the first two sites.

Actually, I had another idea. It seems pretty weird, and I'm not sure if I like it by myself, but I'll post it anyway:

[Ring] .The One Ring, The Ruling Ring (V)
Strength: +1
Game Text: Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, you may discard a card to make him wear The One Ring until the regroup phase. While wearing The One Ring, each time the Ring-bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.

I thought like: What kinda resources could we use? Threats? Nah, that doesn't really fit. Extra Burdens? Has been done before. So I came up with discarding cards, which can be both a negative and positive effect. Still has to be tweaked a bit, but the more I think of it, the more I start to like it. And discarding cards from hand was a pretty common theme in FotR Block.

So?

EDIT:
Basically the Rong of Rings with stength Bonus instead of Resistance. I'd found interesting to have a line like: "Exert the Ring-Bearer twice to take off the One Ring", but that would pretty much destroy some of those "Force to put on the One Ring" strategies.

I don't think so. I'm not sure if it would be useful, since the most common way to FORCE putting on the ring (Resistance Becomes Unbearable) would overcome the ability.

I was thinking of annuling effects à la Return to Its Master, but anyway...

February 14, 2011, 03:04:36 PM
Reply #34

Kralik

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
Of course, then you run the risk (benefit to Shadow) of not being able to put it on as well... :twisted:

February 14, 2011, 04:23:22 PM
Reply #35

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
Careful Ket, your being sucked in ;) I really like the idea of adding threats to wear the 1 ring
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

February 15, 2011, 12:39:50 PM
Reply #36

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 12:39:50 PM »
I don't really want to get too involved, but what about the impending danger aspect of putting on the Ring?

Response: Add two threats to put on the One Ring. Each time...

It's dangerous territory and it always means that the Ring needs to be protected by having companions around.
-wtk

I second this. Its a great limiter and has a great thematic element.

February 16, 2011, 03:10:07 AM
Reply #37

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 03:10:07 AM »
Bit I still think adding one two threats is a bot too much, especially when playing against Southrons or so, where your Ring would be like pretty much useless. One threat really should be enough, and the Ring should also provide a nice bonus, when you compair it to The Ring of Rings, which has no drawback and gives you +2 resistance straight away.

February 16, 2011, 05:07:33 AM
Reply #38

Kralik

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 05:07:33 AM »
It's OK for the ring to be "useless" as a trade-off. Take The Binding Ring, for example. You run the risk of not being to exert to put it on when you need to (or certainly, not being able to put it on in Skirmish if you didn't plan ahead), but that's part of the price you pay.

February 16, 2011, 05:17:38 PM
Reply #39

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
So I think we need to collect the various incarnations we've talked about in this thread. How about from now on (until the end of the week) we only post suggestions that we've made (updated by people's earlier comments when necessary).

I was also thinking that given how this is our first card, and The One Ring no less, that we should move into phase 1 playtesting with a handful of different versions. We can divvy them up among the designers, and get going. Sound good?

For the playtesting, we may need some "Alpha"-slips so that we can put the new versions into sleeves and play in real life. Anyone can do that? (Really basic stuff, we don't need anything fancy). And what about online? Does any one have a good idea about how we could easily playtest the cards on GCCG or something?

Thran

February 16, 2011, 06:25:28 PM
Reply #40

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: V1: The One Ring (versions submitted for Sunday 20th)
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
For the playtesting, we may need some "Alpha"-slips so that we can put the new versions into sleeves and play in real life. Anyone can do that? (Really basic stuff, we don't need anything fancy).
Sure, I can do that.

February 17, 2011, 10:56:16 PM
Reply #41

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 10:56:16 PM »
Here's a submission for the Sunday 20th deadline:

[Ring] The One Ring, The Ruling Ring (V)
Strength: +2
Vitality: -1
Game Text: Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, he wears The One Ring until the regroup phase. While wearing The One Ring, each time bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.

February 18, 2011, 10:29:24 PM
Reply #42

hyvee_doughboy

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »
Here's a submission for the Sunday 20th deadline:

Strength: +2
Game Text: Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, he wears The One Ring until the regroup phase. While wearing The One Ring, each time bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.

I really like this one!  B but I agree with Kralik that +1/-1 might be more balanced.  Otherwise, i think this would almost completely replace the green ring (which is +2, and put on during maneuver)

February 18, 2011, 10:42:58 PM
Reply #43

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 10:42:58 PM »
In order to make sure we have at least two versions submitted for Sunday, here's two variations involving ideas discussed previously:

Version 1:

Game Text: Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, bearer wears The One Ring until the regroup phase. While wearing The One Ring, each time bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.

Version 2:

Resistance: +1
Game Text: Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, bearer wears The One Ring until the regroup phase. While wearing The One Ring, each time bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:16:54 AM by Tbiesty »

February 19, 2011, 12:08:20 AM
Reply #44

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2011, 12:08:20 AM »
Why both vitality -1? I thought the threat ring didnt have that?