LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Elf/Dwarf/Sauron Discard  (Read 11432 times)

June 21, 2011, 02:58:18 AM
Read 11432 times

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
Elf/Dwarf/Sauron Discard
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:58:18 AM »
Gimli, BoG
The One Ring, AtaR

Fellowship version I (37):

1x Legolas, Fearless Marksman (starting)
1x Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath (starting)
1x Arwen, QoEaM
1x Elrond, Venerable Lord
1x Gil-Galad, EHK
1x Sam, Son Of Hamfast
1x Radagast, the Brown

2x Grimir, Dwarven Elder

1x Axe of Erebor
1x Ring of Fury
2x Ring of Guile
1x Aiglos
3x Elven Bow

3x Ancient Enmity
3x Delving
3x Lend Us Your Aid
1x Blood Runs Chill

4x The White Arrows of Lorien
2x Dwarven Heart
2x Shoulder to Shoulder
1x Greatest Kingdom of my People

Fellowship version II (37):

1x Durin III, Dwarven Lord
1x Linnar, Dwarven Lord
1x Sindri, Dwarven Lord
1x Uri, Dwarven Lord
1x Sam, Son Of Hamfast
1x Radagast, the Brown

1x Grimir, Dwarven Elder

2x Axe of Erebor
1x Hand Axe
1x Dwarven Bracers
1x Ring of Fury
3x Ring of Guile
4x Dwarven Axe

1x Blood Runs Chill
2x What Are We Waiting For
2x Delving
2x Slaked Thirsts
3x Axe Strike
4x Nobody Tosses A Dwarf

1x Greatest Kingdom of my People
1x Preparations
2x Dwarven Heart

Shadow (37):

1x Sauron, TLotR
2x Grishnakh, Orc Captain
1x Orc Patrol
4x Gorgoroth Stormer
4x Orc Inquisitor
3x Orc Warrior
2x Orc Stalker
2x Orc Chaser
4x Orc Pursuer

1x The Number Must Be Few
1x The Irresistible Shadow
1x Dead Marshes
1x Thin and Stretched
1x His Cruelty and Malice
2x Desperate Measures
4x Desperate Defense of the Ring
4x Tower of Barad-dur

It's on the big side, but I'm home that Delving can help me out there. Also, I don't really know what to cut. The Shadow is a pretty standard [Sauron] discard deck. I decided to remake a [Dwarven] / [Elven] discard to pair with the shadow, and I came up with some variant of a Dwarf discard...sort of. I'm really not sure if it's viable, but I threw it together. (Now tweaked!)

You have the whole TWAOL going on, with some elves and whatnot, and I added LUYA for fighting purposes, since there isn't much archery aside from the bows and Lego. I'm not sure about Elrond and Gil-Galad, EHK, as it seems pretty costly for twilight. As for the other stuff, you have Grimir in there for card recursion, but with his 3 vitality, he's great for healing Legolas in the Maneuver Phase. You can basically use LUYA, heal Gimli with Legolas if wanted, heal Legolas with Grimir to use White Arrows, then heal Grimir with Dwarven Heart the following turn. Then, use Axe of Erebor to ditch the Dwarven Hearts. Also, Grimir can wear the Ring of Guile to ditch immediately to grab any Dwarven events needed for that particular instance.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:35:26 AM by Anautikus »
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

June 21, 2011, 04:48:25 AM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Elf/Dwarf/Sauron Discard
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:25 AM »
I would rather dump the Gandalf support,  run a flush of TWAoL, and add some Elves. Greenleaf isn't very helpful if you are exerting to discard. Might you consider another Legolas? Fearless Marksman, for cycling?

I think that you are better off with TWAoL than Nobody Tosses a Dwarf, which relies on too much to happen. Maybe Gimli, Bearer of Grudges with LUYA and Elves? Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath and Legolas to start? Pack Elven Bows and TWAoL.
-wtk

June 21, 2011, 06:15:28 AM
Reply #2

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:15:28 AM »
Yes, you can most definitely drop Gandalf support, without a deck, their cold to your shadow anyway, so they won't be able to double and stop YOU from doubling. Just make sure your shadow CAN get the job done AFTER discarding their deck, at least gumming up the board for a turn where you can seize the initiative. Also, notice that, strategy-wise, it's much more difficult to sculpt a Shadow hand when the other guy is meessing with your draw deck, so most people, once they realize what they're up against, will try and run, which means your White Arrows of Lorien WILL hit a lot of Shadow cards if you don't give them a lot of twilight to cycle their hand (and also means you'll need to be able to race behind them, so you can swap ahead in a single turn when they're left cardless). And if you DO give them that much twilight, then their deck will run out that much faster. If you can then start Gimli, like ket suggested, you can devote some space for burden removal (not that corruption will be that much of a problem, since as I said, they'll most likely ditch shadow cards and you will also hit some of them with your shadow).

June 21, 2011, 06:34:00 AM
Reply #3

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
FM, these all capital letters words in the middle of your writing sure makes it very hard to read... seems like I'm being punched in the face by your emphasis. Punctuation is very helpful for that, you should look into it. Seems like you are shouting words in the middle of it. A good writer should be able to get the message through without SHOUTING or CAPITALIZING the parts he thinks the writer should care about, and it's a lot less aggressive.

On topic, why don't you run an all dwarven strategy? Gimli RB, all 4x Dwarven Warrior, Nobody Tosses a Dwarf and Thorin III? I think it's going to work a lot better, plus everybody knows dwarves work.

June 21, 2011, 06:41:47 AM
Reply #4

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:41:47 AM »
FM, these all capital letters words in the middle of your writing sure makes it very hard to read... seems like I'm being punched in the face by your emphasis. Punctuation is very helpful for that, you should look into it. Seems like you are shouting words in the middle of it. A good writer should be able to get the message through without SHOUTING or CAPITALIZING the parts he thinks the writer should care about, and it's a lot less aggressive.

Thanks for the input, I'll work on THAT (kidding, I mean it, I'll look into it ;)).

June 21, 2011, 08:52:46 AM
Reply #5

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:52:46 AM »

Thanks for the input, I'll work on THAT (kidding, I mean it, I'll look into it ;)).

Hahahahahaha don't get me started, dude!

June 21, 2011, 11:01:07 AM
Reply #6

Haszor

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »
On topic, why don't you run an all dwarven strategy? Gimli RB, all 4x Dwarven Warrior, Nobody Tosses a Dwarf and Thorin III? I think it's going to work a lot better, plus everybody knows dwarves work.
Dwarven Warrior, Thorin III aren't movie legal

June 21, 2011, 11:11:18 AM
Reply #7

Gartax

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
I ll advise cutting at least 4 cards on both side. Also I ll run Galadriel RB with Answer to all riddle, that way you can abuse WAOL, I would also drop the Gandalf support and legolas fearless marksman is a better choice.

I ll add a few card to protect a little more my RB.

the key with this deck his to draw your White arrow of lothlerien fast in order to kill his hand in case he plays some minion. I would also drop Tower of Barardur. The reason is simple.

The best strat against this deck is to run and never play anything during the shadow phase in order to kept your hand. So when I see some tower I am happy since I can drop my shadow hand to kept drawing freep cards in order to double move easily. So playing Tower of Baradur help your opponent instead

June 21, 2011, 01:10:08 PM
Reply #8

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
Already have that Dwarf discard in expanded. ;)

I was initially debating between starting either Gimli, Galadrield, or Frodo. I wanted to use some NTaD, but I think multiple White Arrows can get the job done per each of my freeps' turns; if the shadow elects to play nothing, then it's on me. Is it best to just toss all the NTaD? Or keep a few in, and have them cycle with Ring of Guile? I think Ring of Guile is pretty awesome in itself. Also, Fearless Marksman is awesome as well; I just couldn't decide on which Legolas would work better so I stuck to a standard one haha.

the key with this deck his to draw your White arrow of lothlerien fast in order to kill his hand in case he plays some minion. I would also drop Tower of Barardur.
I think I'm leaning toward a Gimli RB rather than Galadriel; she's a lot easier to corrupt without proper burden protection and a slew of elves to up the resistance. Also, I may cut one tower, but I don't want to drop it altogether. I think it's pretty nice in getting their cards into the discard, and if they decide to run, with multiple towers out, that's at least half their hand gone, and one Inquisitor gives me initiative, and then all my trackers are doubled in strength. Idk, it always seemed to work for me. I've gotten lucky few times and swarmed actually haha.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:28:38 PM by Anautikus »
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

June 22, 2011, 01:00:17 AM
Reply #9

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 01:00:17 AM »
NO ONE SHOULD PLAY DISCARD DECKS.....PLAYING DISCARD DECKS MEANS SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE YOU HAVE DISCARDED THE MOST VALUABLE ELEMENT OF BEING HUMAN: CREATIVITY, EMPATHY AND CREATIVITY
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

June 22, 2011, 01:35:57 AM
Reply #10

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 01:35:57 AM »
^ hahahahah what's up Gil :) Don't worry it's only to make my friends back home suffer, obviously.

Trade List

June 22, 2011, 04:12:47 AM
Reply #11

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:12:47 AM »
NO ONE SHOULD PLAY DISCARD DECKS.....PLAYING DISCARD DECKS MEANS SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE YOU HAVE DISCARDED THE MOST VALUABLE ELEMENT OF BEING HUMAN: CREATIVITY, EMPATHY AND CREATIVITY

ROFLMAO gees Heije, you're losing it! hahaha

June 22, 2011, 07:31:23 AM
Reply #12

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 07:31:23 AM »
best solution to fixing this deck: make a new one without discard. Your friends will hate you, your wife will leave you and you will be disowned for playign discard! ;)