LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Paths of the Dead - Mustn't Hurt Preciouss  (Read 25892 times)

September 08, 2008, 02:26:56 AM
Reply #15

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Lost Treasure Hoard
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 02:26:56 AM »
Seems ok to me. Odd but ok.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

September 08, 2008, 11:02:57 AM
Reply #16

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:57 AM »
Thanks for the reviews. A few more Dwarf cards today. Sorry for the lack of lore, but I don't have time to look up quotes at the moment. The latter two cards are part of the theme to encourage multi-culture shadow sides.

[1] Desperate Action [Dwarven]
Event • Skirmish
Make a Dwarf strength +2 (or spot a Dwarf to make a companion with desperation gain enduring 2).

[3] •Whirl of Axes [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
To play spot 2 Dwarves.
Skirmish: Exert a Dwarf to exert a minion he or she is skirmishing. Then exert each other minion of the same culture. Discard this condition.

[1] Hack and Slash [Dwarven]
Event • Skirmish
Add a threat and spot a minion to make a Dwarf strength +1 for each minion of the same culture as that minion.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:32:11 AM by Anvar »
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

September 08, 2008, 11:32:31 AM
Reply #17

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
Quote from: Anvar
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Dwarven] companion strength +2 (or make a companion with desperation gain enduring 2).

Good, but I definately recommend limiting the enduring to [Dwarven] companions as well, OR make this event spot a Dwarf or two to play. Way too splashable in desperation decks otherwise.

Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Exert a minion skirmishing a [Dwarven] companion. Then exert each other character with the same culture. Discard this condition.

Not sure why the second part says "character" instead of just "minion", but otherwise fine. Very powerful, but fine.

Actually...on second thought, I'd make it spot at least 2 Dwarves to play in the first place.

Event • Skirmish
Add a threat and spot a minion to make a [Dwarven] companion strength +1 for each character with the same culture as that minion.

I think it's "of the same culture", but that's about the only flaw I see. Certainly discourages swarms! :twisted:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

September 08, 2008, 11:34:28 AM
Reply #18

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:34:28 AM »
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Dwarven] companion strength +2 (or make a companion with desperation gain enduring 2).
What does it mean "with desperation"? It's not entirely clear, but presumably you mean if a companion has a desperation ability, triggered or not? I feel like this event should have return as well, but maybe it only returns if you can spot a Dwarf.

Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Exert a minion skirmishing a [Dwarven] companion. Then exert each other character with the same culture. Discard this condition.
What if you're running Sméagol and the culture is [Gollum]? There doesn't seem to me such an important reason why it doesn't say "other minion with the same culture." I think DI's spotting requirement is not a bad idea either.

Event • Skirmish
Add a threat and spot a minion to make a [Dwarven] companion strength +1 for each character with the same culture as that minion.
Same note on the minion/character bit. Fair enough otherwise.

Thranduil

September 08, 2008, 01:29:59 PM
Reply #19

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Whirl of Axes
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 01:29:59 PM »
whirl of axes should cost 2 IMSO...I mean dwarves really don't need that much help knocking people off with their damage...
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

September 08, 2008, 02:04:52 PM
Reply #20

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
I'd ditto Dain's comments.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 09, 2008, 01:31:58 AM
Reply #21

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 01:31:58 AM »

Event • Skirmish
Make a Dwarf strength +2 (or spot a Dwarf to make a companion with desperation gain enduring 2).

Niiiiiice.

[2] •Whirl of Axes [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
To play spot 2 Dwarves.
Skirmish: Exert a minion skirmishing a Dwarf. Then exert each other minion of the same culture. Discard this condition.

Bloody #$&*@! thats insane. Like best card ever, no effectual cost and its like a blitzkreig! Why am i the only one to think this could be mental. It has potential to place like 4 or 5 exertions or more if youre being swarmed, for 2? It doesnt require any additonal pool adding, exerting a comp, burden or threats? Its amazing!

Event • Skirmish
Add a threat and spot a minion to make a Dwarf strength +1 for each minion of the same culture as that minion.

Nice.

September 09, 2008, 10:38:47 AM
Reply #22

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 10:38:47 AM »
yes lem0n, but since when do dwarves need help killing minions? I mean yeah its useful for double moves, but its not gonna make or break a turn...maybe it should cost 3 or require an exertion, I will give it that.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

September 10, 2008, 12:57:26 AM
Reply #23

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 12:57:26 AM »
Well true dwarves will kill stuff when they win, but a.) they have to win and if theres is like 5 minions you cant guarantee that and b.) it does it before they dish damage so it stops anything that exerts for an action or needs vitality like wargs. Its still amazing regardless of the culture.

September 10, 2008, 10:44:32 AM
Reply #24

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 10:44:32 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. I have put up the cost of whirl of axes, but it is supposed to be very good, and supposed to discourage mono-culture shadow sides.

Todays cards are on the theme of the dead pile. I think Dain asked how you get rid of threats in my dream card set. While I envision there being a gandalf card or two to help out with that, the brutal answer for this set is that you kill a companion! Let me know what you think about the Last King of Moria.

[2] •Balin, Last King of Moria [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 7
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 6
Damage +1.
To play, spot a Dwarf.
While Balin is in your dead pile, each exhausted Dwarf is enduring 1 and damage +1.
"'He is dead then,' said Frodo. 'I feared it was so.' Gimli cast his hood over his face.

[1] •Tomb of Balin [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
Tomb. (Cards stacked here count as being in the dead pile. If discarded, place all stacked cards in the dead pile).
When you play this, stack a Dwarf here from your discard or dead pile.
Each time a Dwarf takes a wound, you may spot a card stacked here and scour a card to exert a minion.
"'We will make them fear the Chamber of Mazarbul!'"

[2] •Book of Mazarbul, Last Record of Moria [Dwarven]
Possession
Resistance: +1
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
At the start of the fellowship phase you may draw a card for each [Dwarven] character in your dead pile.
"'...The last thing written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming. There is nothing more.'"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:07:52 PM by Anvar »
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

September 10, 2008, 10:56:47 AM
Reply #25

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
Re: The Paths of the Dead - The Last King of Moria
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. I have put up the cost of whirl of axes, but it is supposed to be very good, and supposed to discourage mono-culture shadow sides.

Todays cards are on the theme of the dead pile. I think Dain asked how you get rid of threats in my dream card set. While I envision there being a gandalf card or two to help out with that, the brutal answer for this set is that you kill a companion! Let me know what you think about the Last King of Moria.

[3] •Balin, Last King of Moria [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
While Balin is in your dead pile, each exhausted Dwarf is damage +2.
"'He is dead then,' said Frodo. 'I feared it was so.' Gimli cast his hood over his face.
coolio!

Condition • Support Area
Tomb. (Cards stacked here count as being in the dead pile. If discarded, place all stacked cards in the dead pile).
Each time a Dwarf takes a wound, you may spot a card stacked here and scour a card to exert a minion.
fine.

Possession
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
At the start of the fellowship phase you may draw a card for each [Dwarven] character in your dead pile.
"'...The last thing written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming. There is nothing more.'"
fine
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

September 10, 2008, 11:19:40 AM
Reply #26

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.

Considering his only text triggers while he is dead, perhaps follow the path of Linnar and make him cost only [2]. Or at least have his cost reduced while you can spot another Dwarf.

Condition • Support Area

In a word: evil. I love it. :twisted:

Possession
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.

Seems alright.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

September 10, 2008, 12:04:15 PM
Reply #27

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
I want something truly brutal for Balin's death: how about enduring 1/2? :twisted:

Condition • Support Area
Very entertaining!

Possession
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Interesting rethink of the original. I think I'd prefer it to play to the support area or give a stat bonus of some kind to its bearer.

Thranduil

September 10, 2008, 12:26:22 PM
Reply #28

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 12:26:22 PM »
Quote from: Thranduil
Possession
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Interesting rethink of the original. I think I'd prefer it to play to the support area or give a stat bonus of some kind to its bearer.

Funny you should mention that...I almost recommended before that it give resistance +1. 'Twould be a great add-on to a [Dwarven] deck with BoG as the Ring-bearer then. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

September 11, 2008, 01:24:00 AM
Reply #29

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »

[2] •Balin, Last King of Moria [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
To play, spot a Dwarf.
While Balin is in your dead pile, each exhausted Dwarf is enduring 1 and damage +1.

Fine.

Condition • Support Area

Wow powerful but guess its ok.

Possession
Resistance: +1
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.

Nice, maybe undercosted.