LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Paths of the Dead - Mustn't Hurt Preciouss  (Read 25894 times)

September 11, 2008, 08:28:42 AM
Reply #30

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: The Paths of the Dead - The Last King of Moria
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
Nice, maybe undercosted.

Wow, you're usually the first one to point out that cards that rely on having dead companions aren't a good thing ;)
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

September 11, 2008, 01:45:09 PM
Reply #31

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »
A few desperation cards today for the Dwarves, including their entry in the Ride cycle:

[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 6
Enduring 1.
Desperation -
this companion gains enduring 1.

[1] Gleam of Gold [Dwarven]
Event • Fellowship
Add a threat to draw 2 cards.
Desperation - add a threat to take two [Dwarven] events into hand from your discard pile. Then remove this event from the game.

[1] Ride Behind [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves you may spot a Dwarf to scour 3 cards. For each Free Peoples card you scour in this way, make each opponent scour a card. For each Shadow card you scour in this way, each opponent may draw a card.
"'Come, you shall sit behind me, friend Gimli,' said Legolas. 'Then all will be well, and you need neither borrow a horse nor be troubled by one.'"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 01:12:38 PM by Anvar »
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

September 11, 2008, 01:57:07 PM
Reply #32

Incognito

• Professional Assassin
  • Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • You're next.
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Enduring 1.
Desperation -

Okay, I suppose, but nothing to write home about.

Event • Fellowship
Desperation - add a threat to take two [Dwarven] events into hand from your discard pile. Then remove this event from the game.

Now this is really cool. Something a desperation deck could really use.

[0] Ride Behind [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves you may spot a Dwarf and scour 3 cards to make each opponent scour 3 cards.
"'Come, you shall sit behind me, friend Gimli,' said Legolas. 'Then all will be well, and you need neither borrow a horse nor be troubled by one.'"

Cost symbol needs parenthesis, not brackets.

I think I missed the definition of "scour." Remind me?

September 11, 2008, 02:02:58 PM
Reply #33

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Gleam of Gold
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
scour = discard off the top of your draw deck. Just to save space on cards really.
-Doctor Who

September 11, 2008, 03:52:43 PM
Reply #34

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Enduring 1.
Desperation -
What do you mean by "Iron Guard"?

Event • Fellowship
Very cool, but I reckon it should cost (0).

(0) Ride Behind [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves you may spot a Dwarf and scour 3 cards to make each opponent scour 3 cards.
Classic! You have a real vengeful and spiteful feel to these [Dwarven] cards which is really awesome.

Thranduil

September 11, 2008, 04:31:51 PM
Reply #35

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »
[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Enduring 1.
Desperation -

I'm not sure - such a common enduring guy seems a bit good to me, but his desperation ability doesn't seem quite worth it.

Event • Fellowship

I disagree with Thran, I think the cost should stay at [1].

Condition • Support Area

I don't know. I think this is way good in [Dwarven] discard decks. I might make it exert that Dwarf to do so, or possibly make the card unique. Or both.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 12, 2008, 08:13:48 AM
Reply #36

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 08:13:48 AM »

What do you mean by "Iron Guard"?

Well, I was actually referring to this:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99061465016&orignav=16

Maybe not the best place to go for cards, but it seemed like a great title. Also note that without desperation, Iron Guard will typically only reach 8 strength. Not bad, but nothing compared to the Elven Hunters...

Anvar
-Doctor Who

September 12, 2008, 10:42:00 AM
Reply #37

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Enduring 1.
Desperation -

Meh ok.

Event • Fellowship

Nice.

Condition • Support Area

LOL nice but id make you scour 4 cards and everyone else 3 or else its pure dwarven NPE abuse.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

September 12, 2008, 10:59:44 AM
Reply #38

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »
Bear in mind that in the context of my set, Ride Behind can trigger your opponents' desperation.

Still, I will consider altering it in some way.

Anvar
-Doctor Who

September 13, 2008, 05:57:52 PM
Reply #39

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
I think Ride Behind needs to be unique if you plan on leaving it as-is. With four out, you can scour 12 cards a turn which is way beyond anything that should be possible on a turn-by-turn basis.

September 14, 2008, 01:20:50 PM
Reply #40

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »
Okay, I want to keep this non-unique, to keep it in line with the other cards in the cycle, but after your comments I decided to keep it in line other ways as well. Now it does different things depending on what you scour. Let me know what you think:

Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves you may spot a Dwarf to scour 3 cards. For each Free Peoples card you scour in this way, make each opponent scour a card. For each Shadow card you scour in this way, each opponent may draw a card.

And todays cards are the last two in the Dwarf culture:

[3]Dain Ironfoot, Fallen King [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 7
Damage +1. Return - [2]
Desperation -
Dain Ironfoot gains enduring X where X is his damage bonus.
'"...and now we hear that Dain has fallen, fighting in Dale again, even while we fought here. I should call that a heavy loss, if it was not a wonder rather that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say that he did..."'

(0) Death Blow [Dwarven]
Event • Maneuver
Place a Dwarf in the dead pile to kill or discard a minion.
"'...standing over the body of King Brand before the Gate of Erebor until the darkness fell."'
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:01:05 PM by Anvar »
-Doctor Who

September 14, 2008, 05:20:45 PM
Reply #41

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
Condition • Support Area
Yeah, it's awesome! Either way you get to mill their deck. :twisted:

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
Desperation -
'"...and now we hear that Dain has fallen, fighting in Dale again, even while we fought here. I should call that a heavy loss, if it was not a wonder rather that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say that he did..."'
This guy's awesome! A great take on the damage theme. Compared to the current Dain Ironfoot though, he's not very good. Maybe he should retain some cost reduction for other Dwarves in the starting fellowship or have a cheap return cost.

[1] Death Blow [Dwarven]
Event • Maneuver
"'...standing over the body of King Brand before the Gate of Erebor until the darkness fell."'
Great, but I feel it could be (0).

Thranduil

September 15, 2008, 11:28:10 AM
Reply #42

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Dain Ironfoot, Fallen King
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »
Okay, I want to keep this non-unique, to keep it in line with the other cards in the cycle, but after your comments I decided to keep it in line other ways as well. Now it does different things depending on what you scour. Let me know what you think:

Condition • Support Area
cool could cost 0 though

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Return - [2]
Desperation -
coolio...MAYBEEE a limit on that desperation...enduring 4 maybe?

[1] Death Blow [Dwarven]
Event • Maneuver
kill or discard? should it be worded like that?
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

September 15, 2008, 11:39:38 AM
Reply #43

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »

kill or discard? should it be worded like that?

This is deliberate. Note that killing does not mean discarded anymore, and I have a cycle of Orcs that like to be discarded rather than killed. This way, you get the choice as to what you wish them to count as.

Anvar
-Doctor Who

September 15, 2008, 01:04:04 PM
Reply #44

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 01:04:04 PM »
Right then, time to move on to the evil side of the Gollum culture. At the moment, I don't actually have any Smeagol cards at all - can't think what makes sense on that half in this set - but I digress.

So, what is Gollum all about? Gollum culture has a large theme of making multi-culture shadow decks work. It's big on threats, but bigger as a splash into other decks. On that note, here are two very splashable cards:

[2] •Gollum, Persistent Villain [Gollum]
Minion
Strength: 5
Vitality: 4
Site: 3
Return - [2].
If Gollum is killed, remove him from the game.

[4] Betrayed [Gollum] Shadow
Condition • Support Area
To play spot Gollum or Smeagol.
Desperation - each shadow card gains "Return - exert Gollum and remove [1]".
-Doctor Who