LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: W Tempered Steel  (Read 5479 times)

May 30, 2012, 10:31:47 AM
Read 5479 times

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
W Tempered Steel
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
This is what I've been playing at FNMs for the last 3 months:

Creatures: 23
x4 Memnite
x4 Signal Pest
x4 Vault Skirge
x4 Glint Hawk
x2 Porcelain Legionnaire
x4 Etched Champion
x1 Mikaeus, The Lunarch

Artifacts: 9
x3 Mox Opal
x2 Origin Spellbomb
x4 Glint Hawk Idol

Spells: 9
x1 Oblivion Ring
x4 Tempered Steel
x4 Dispatch

Lands: 19
x4 Inkmoth Nexus
x15 Plains

Sideboard:
x2 Celestial Purge
x2 Dismember
x2 Nihil Spellbomb
x2 Shrine of Loyal Legions
x2 Revoke Existence
x2 Dispense Justice
x2 Hex Parasite
x1 Timely Reinforcements

Sideboard needs O-rings, Hero of Bladeholds, and Spellskites, but TS will rotate out in a few months anyway, so I haven't bothered trading for them.

I'm currently building post rotation RDW for Standard, and Tibor Lumia UR for EDH.

May 31, 2012, 06:06:48 AM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: W Tempered Steel
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:06:48 AM »
I'd actually take out Mikaeus and an Idol (move to SB) for the 3rd and 4th Legionnaire, it's just a much faster (and powerful) card. You're trying to win the game quickly, that is your main plan, so "having another unwrathable creature" or "going huge with Miakeus" should be backup plans, and the SB is usually the place reserved for those in an aggro deck, you can't afford to lose redundancy, you live and die by the first game, where they're not ready for you. I like the 4's, though, a lot of people try to "get cute" with decks from time to time, and aggro is definitely not the place for that, thought the 4th Opal might be overkill, so I agree on 3. Sideboard... I'm not happy with it. What is it built against, specifically? I mean, Timely Reinforcements seems SO out of place, aggros be damned, that I'd rather have another Celestial Purge in its place (it DOES exile those wretched undying creatures after all). For the same reason, I'd like another O-Ring there somewhere, as you said yourself, and I'd advise you to simply go and find them, I think you might be surprised at their longevity.

May 31, 2012, 07:57:20 PM
Reply #2

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
You're completely correct. Sadly, this sideboard was pretty much thrown together. The Hex Parasites are completely useless, and I never use Revoke Existence. Timely Reinforcements should have been out a long time ago, and even Dismember isn't useful in the standard meta. Shrine of Loyal Legions is a solid anti-control card though, and Dispense Justice is very good against the aggro decks running rampant at my LGS. The Celestial Purges are are quite good against a variety of decks as well.
Maindeck... Mikaeus really shouldn't be there. The current updated Tempered Steel splashes (G) for Gavony Township, but no one I know has a full playset of (G)(W) duals for trade, and I haven't bothered. Despite its flaws, I'm done working on this deck.

So, what are you playing? How's the meta down there in Brasil? I haven't been on here in ages, but I always remembered you as the fount of MTG wisdom. Myself, I've gone to my first prerelease (sealed AVR limited), played Two-headed Giant limited, and drafted, as well as regularly playing Standard. I've also played my first EDH game, and I'm working on my first EDH deck.

June 01, 2012, 06:37:27 AM
Reply #3

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:37:27 AM »
I've been out of the competitive scen for a while, mostly playing online, though I still keep up, so I can tell you the metagame here is Delver and Wolf-Run, mostly, plus control strategies that ultimately fail (and some Esper that ocasionally do well). Right now, for lack of something better, I'm playing Standard 5-color Reanimator (or Frites), with Elesh Norns, Faithless Lootings, Mulchs and Unburial Rites, but that is mainly for fun, the deck is not atcually great, though the blow-out aspect is nice. I maindeck 4 Elesh Norns and 4 Inferno Titans, which give me game against aggro decks and I can actually cast reasonably, and I also sideboard Wurmcoil Engines and Griselbrand, depending on the match-up).

I've also been working on a UR control list, eschewing Delvers, Invisible Stalkers and Gesits for Whipflares, Slagstorms, Pillar of Flame and Bonfire of the Damned, and it's been doing quite well.

I'm also working on the side on a WUr Miracles list, with Bonfire of the Damned, Terminus and Temporal Mastery, with Entreat the Angels as a kill condition, and Snapcasters so I can buy back utilitu spells and/or Noxious Revival, for more Miracles (I'm running 2 maindeck so far). I'm planning on mingling this with Frites, having a small reanimator plan on the sideboard (though not full on, since it suffers from collateral damage due to their adaptation to beat the first strategy, which each includes countering spells and/or messing with graveyards).

For aggro, I have been playing Delver (either UW or UR), though I'm starting to like Zombies (can't make up my mind if UB or monoblack) more and more.