LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Deck building challenge  (Read 24150 times)

March 28, 2013, 01:55:45 PM
Reply #30

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: Deck building challenge
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 01:55:45 PM »
Very interesting...

http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=neopium$xwq2z0pvfbmqs6gv

(There was a first game I lost against the same opponent: at site 7 I still had not drawn any Consorting with Wizards...)

March 28, 2013, 03:00:36 PM
Reply #31

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 03:00:36 PM »
I picture Sam, SoH and Make Haste causing super hand clog.  If everything goes according to plan, you are stuck w/ Sam in hand.  If things go badly, he dies, and you are stuck trying to discard up to four copies of Make Haste while reconciling throughout the game.  I feel you should almost always discard a shadow card while reconciling, because Lone _____ decks are so hard to win with.

I was going to say that if you are going to try out Sam, SoH, it could be fun to start Pippin, HoSI too, bid an extra burden, and you'd get the benefit from Sleeping Quarters.  Then, I realized the site doesn't require 3 Hobbit COMPANIONS, just 3 Hobbits.  And here I couldn't figure out why you use it!  Cue the "Price is Right" fail horn...

March 29, 2013, 02:25:33 AM
Reply #32

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 02:25:33 AM »
Indeed, I already benefit from Sleeping Quarters very often.

Regarding your worry about hand clogging, you are right:

- this kind of "lone" ring-bearer deck clogs a lot, especially because it is based on events that you cannot reconcile

- the shadow side I chose (big minions to prevent double moves from my opponent) also clogs too much. Ideally, Moria swarm would be a better fit. But I find Moria swarm less funny to play (everyone has the same Moria swarm deck, more or less)

However, I tried this configuration 3 times and it was not really a problem. Agreed, 3 times is not enough and I will go on testing.

Agreed as well, I lost twice (once without drawing Consorting with wizards and once against Besiegers and Grond, Hammer of the Underworld, which is NPE anyway :)), and when I won, it was against a shadow side that is particularly weak against this deck (max 1 or 2 minions at a time).

But I felt there was something better in my fellowship than in previous games. In particular, the way I play it has changed: before, when I had to choose between 2 burdens and 3 twilight, I chose the twilight option early in the game, the burdens later. It resulted in giving my opponent quite a lot of twilight and forced me to use cards like Chance Observation early in the game when I wanted to keep them for the end. With bouncing Sam, SoH, I can choke much more, especially between site 1 and 3.

Master Proudfoot, Distant Relative of Bilbo is also not needed anyway (I used him essentially to add enough twilight to prevent Bilbo special ability to be triggered) and it can be replaced by an additionnal Birthday present or another Home 1 [Shire] ally, like Rosie Cotton, Hobbiton Lass or the Gaffer (to benefit from Hobbit Party Guest ability that I clearly don't use anymore in this news configuration).

Regarding Sam's death, the idea is that Sam should not participate in skirmishes (or he can be save with Hobbit Intuition or Chance Observation for instance).

I will keep testing and see if the win ratio increases or not.

But what I liked about Make Haste is the possibility to get rid of minions. Because with this deck, I seldom win skirmishes and it can be tough to survive. Now that I have a second [Shire] companion, I can also explore the possibility to use Narrow Escape to the same end.

Thanks for your feedback, it's nice to see that this deck rises other player's interest :)

March 29, 2013, 04:08:57 AM
Reply #33

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 04:08:57 AM »
I actually ran a deck with this Sam/Make Haste engine before/ I believe it involved running frodo alone at some point, but I honestly can't remember. I ran 4x A promise just in case they were able to remove 2 and they both had to fight. It's a free condition so wont clog your hand and it has it benefits late game when the twilight pool has more twilight just by moving. I would also assume it could have the same benefits in a solo smeagol deck that way if you used smeagols abilty in the regroup phase to remove minions and double you could replay sam to have an easy way to remove those burdens. Maybe you could start Gandalf with Merry or Pippin and run a saved from the fire thing early. Burn Pippin, HoSI to grab Sam, SoH, Birthday Present and a solo Copy of Make Hate (since you could recycle the solo copy. Just because you grab it all at site 1 doesnt mean you have to flood the pool early. Then again that could lead to an easy double for your opponent from 1-3 if you have all that sitting in your hand until your 2nd turn.

NK
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

March 29, 2013, 04:47:26 AM
Reply #34

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 04:47:26 AM »
A promise would be interesting, but I don't have Frodo :)

March 29, 2013, 05:45:45 AM
Reply #35

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 05:45:45 AM »
Here is another interesting win: http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=neopium$yrs13ai9byhl6b9p

It was not a pure corruption deck, but still, I had no problem dealing with it. (Still lost the previous one against Moria swarm...)

The combo bouncing Sam, SoH + Rosie Cotton, Hobbiton Lass + Hobbit Party Guest is very impressive! I removed 5 burdens at site 6 and 5 more burdens at site 8 (+others earlier, but not as many at a time)

On the other hand, my shadow completely sucked :)

July 21, 2013, 10:41:54 AM
Reply #36

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »
Wahoo, I'm bumping all your old threads, neopium.  I've been playing this one as often as I can.  It definitely seems like the one with Sam does a lot better.  Any new thoughts?

July 21, 2013, 11:35:17 AM
Reply #37

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »
Hi, great to hear this deck pleases you!

Here is my most recent build:

Bilbo solo

Ring-bearer: Bilbo, Bearer of Things Burgled
Ring: The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry

Adventure deck:
Sleeping Quarters
King's Tent
Hall of the Kings
Osgiliath Fallen
City Gates
Minas Tirith First Circle
Ruined Capitol
Morgul Vale
Dagorlad

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Sam, Son of Hamfast
4x Bounder
4x Hobbit Party Guest
1x Rosie Cotton, Hobbiton Lass
1x The Gaffer, Sam's Father
3x Hobbit Sword
4x Chance Observation
4x Hobbit Intuition
3x Make Haste
1x Birthday Present
4x Consorting With Wizards
2x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
2x The Tale of the Great Ring
1x There and Back Again

Shadow Draw Deck:
2x Shelob, Eater of Light
2x Shelob, Last Child of Ungoliant
2x Orc Chaser
2x Orc Inquisitor
3x Orc Pursuer(2)
2x Orc Slaughterer
4x Orc Stalker
4x Troll of Cirith Gorgor
4x Web
2x Hides
4x Besieging Pike
4x Tower of Barad-dur

"Your stats" are currently down on Gemp, so I can't tell you how well it works and I did not play in in the last few weeks either.

From what I remember, I had something like 30 to 40% win.
The shadow side almost never works as I wish it would but it can sometime prevent my opponent from double moving, which is the idea here: outrun them with Bilbo.

The deck still has weaknesses but I'm not sure I can do much better. It also very much depends on your opponent shadow:

100% Deadly:
- Archery. Bouncing Sam can help taking so wounds, but it sure is not enough, and I have no means to heal Bilbo
- Swarm, and especially Goblin swarms and Corsairs. With Moria, my biggest problem is that I don't win skirmishes (at least early in the game), so the minions pile up and quite quickly I cannot handle them. The limited twilight does not help me against both shadows and I almost never won against them.

Very difficult: big fierce minions. You only have a few shots to prevent an overwhelm, against fierce minions, it is very hard and you quickly exhaust all your Bounder...

I could add a few extra events (PATHS or healing cards), but it significantly reduces the efficiency of Birthday present. Having 3x Make haste is also necessary to draw them early in the game, but later on, you only need to draw Chance observation, so having 3x Make haste means 3 burdens to get your first Chance observation.

Last, you depend a lot on your draw. It seems I am not the lucky kind and often drew the first Consorting with Wizards after site 6. I could still survive to that point, but it is hard to outrun your opponent in that case.

If you have experimented other variants, feedbacks are welcome :)

July 21, 2013, 03:06:13 PM
Reply #38

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
Wish I had more to offer than my previous posts.  I feel like our playtesting hasn't left much room to do more, unless we somehow missed a combo/card.

July 22, 2013, 03:52:34 PM
Reply #39

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »
Has anyone tried to use Bilbo, BotB with Wraiths in movie?  Between CwW and Swept Away, none of your companions can be killed.  I know Isildur is the most common ARB with Wraiths as he's stronger and his drawback for skirmishing actually pumps your companions, but I wonder if this could work?  It should wreck archery, and Enquea, LoM is no real worry so you can run 9 companions so swarming won't be easy.  Run a Sam, SoH to deny corruption, since it doesn't matter if he gets "Enquead"

July 22, 2013, 03:54:07 PM
Reply #40

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »
Well, the problem with that is that its an autoloss vs any form of Archery as BIlbo has to take the arrows.

July 22, 2013, 04:42:11 PM
Reply #41

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »
No.  With CwW nobody takes arrows, so you win every time :)

July 22, 2013, 04:58:15 PM
Reply #42

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »
Read CwW again. The only time Bilbo can take wounds is during the archery phase.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

July 22, 2013, 05:02:32 PM
Reply #43

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2013, 05:02:32 PM »
Oh yeah.  My bad.  I guess that won't work, then.  Pity