LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fellowship Sealed League Strategies on Gemp  (Read 6866 times)

January 07, 2015, 10:06:42 AM
Reply #15

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Re: Fellowship Sealed League Strategies on Gemp
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 10:06:42 AM »
While Gandalf indeed cant kil anything, he draws you the FP cards that allow you to double, at least that has been my experience.

I'm not fitting in the other stuff (axes, bracers, events), I'm using it because it's really good......Gimli is the most reliable companion in the format at killing stuff so you can double.

I dont see how Gimli kills anything without you fitting in his stuff.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:08:52 AM by Cthulhu »
My current Gemp Tengwar count: 133 + 4

January 07, 2015, 12:17:40 PM
Reply #16

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 12:17:40 PM »
Here's a question: If I decided to go with the Gimli MoM starter, do you think it's smarter to use the fixed Gimli for twilight denial, or start my rare Gimli that I pulled?
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

January 07, 2015, 12:27:34 PM
Reply #17

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 12:27:34 PM »
Son of Gloin for sure.

January 07, 2015, 03:59:22 PM
Reply #18

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »
I know this appears to be going against the grain here, but I'm sticking to my guns.  All things being equal, I'd go for Gandalf in serie 1, followed by Gimli then Legolas.  I'm going to apologise in advance for quite a lengthy opinion coming right up :)

Before I begin Serie 1 (and to be honest 2,3 and 4) is all about Boromir, SoD.  Don't use Lord of Gondor, even if he is rare.  Allowing Frodo to fight Uruks without fear is still better than not dying to Uruks himself, even with armour, and he is soooo much more useful against Moria.

I say Gandalf in Serie 1 and, in part, this is thanks to the popularity of Aragorn-in an AvA matchup, nine times out of ten the FP can single its way to site 9-you lose by being outrun or by trying to run too hard and get smashed.  Therefore, most players of Aragorn like to go first to get the edge in that race.  This is absolutely ideal for Gandalf, whose fellowship is shockingly awful, but whose shadow is, in my opinion, absolutely terrifying.  You should survive singles (and will rarely hit their site 7 which is the only real thing that hurts), and your shadow can do the rest: you can almost always get 6 or 7 orcs out per turn, especially since the FP stuff is so bad you don't mind discarding it with TAC, meaning your opponent is forced to choose between being Enquea'd or swarmed.  Hobbit Intuition site 4 is not a worry-use that site to overwhelm Boromir, then move onto those Hobbits.  Without good pulls I would reckon an Aragorn fellowship will never survive site 9.  I tend to leave out the Marksmen (what-Legion not using Moria Archers?), Patrol Troop and pumps as they don't swarm as well as all the rest-you'll probably have picked up some cheaper minions in the boosters.  If you cycle well enough (you really should be doing so) you can easily have a full house of minions for site 9 (or 8 if you're still ahead) by playing Goblin Sneak (and using Gimli on occasion-it's normally safe sites 1,2 and 3).

My dislike for the Uruks is that they really are dependent on their pumps to break through which really are predictable.  You can see Saruman's Ambition on the table, and only 2 of your uruks can have 2 Bred for Battle (and Uruk Savage is terrible).  Plus if you don't have Urk-Hai Armoury out, chances are another one of your guys is not really Bred for Battle thanks to Legolas.  Strength 9 is not enough to overwhelm, and loses to Aragorn if he pulls a sword (which is admittedly uncommon, but seems to happen often enough).  If your opponent has more pumps than you (or Gondor's Vengeance), they'll have an easy enough double should they kill a minion, compared to against Moria where even 1 minion left means stay put.  The uruks are certainly OK (better than any of the other 4 shadow sides in the league), but not as scary as Moria from Gandalf in Serie 1.  I find in Sealed if you have to choose between a decent FP with a decent Shadow or one poor half (on this case the FP), but with a brilliant other, go for the latter.  Aragorn's FP is solid, and so is the shadow, but it is not what I'd call awe inspiring.

Serie 2 has a fair choice.  The Gandalf FP is incredibly robust.  It just won't die and The Grey Pilgrim is one of my favourite cards.  The shadow adds basically nothing, though (you already have 4 of most of the decent cards in the shadow, and Goblin Spear/Spearman is fun when it works, but is hardly gamebreaking).  Gimli doesn't look as though he adds anything at first, but Tol Brandir is very helpful for the swarm, and I'll leave it at that for now.  He really needed to have Fror, though.  If you pull one, he makes your job of surviving uruks a whole lot easier (with an Axe he forces a pump to beat-another reason I don't particularly like Aragorn).

Now for serie 3.  First off, everyone goes Legolas. And rightly so-everyone can do with Snows and Foul Creation (even stronger now that No Business of Ours appear not to be working-don't play this card, guys!!)  Many people say that now Gandalf is dead thanks to Frying Pan.  I disagree for 2ish reasons.  The first is what I tried last time in serie 3:  Cycle like crazy and use Gimli, DoE to put a [1] or [2] cost [Isengard] minion (Uruk Savage, Goblin Man etc) on the bottom of your deck, and make sure you haven't drawn it by site 9.  This way Foul Creation won't discard it.  Draw it instead at site 9 with a Goblin Scimitar and now play Snows and everyone else.  It's not easy to pull off (especially if they win with an Uruk Rager or Play Uruk Soldier). but if you do it can be so satisfying.  The second is that you might want to go wounding with Under the Watching Eye and Goblin Marksmen (a Moria Archer Troop pull is invaluable here).  Frying Pan won't work if Frodo or Sam is exhausted!  I went for the former strategy serie 3 last time, and the latter serie 4.  Serie 4 was so much more fun, and had the better win percentage.  I said 2ish ways around Frying Pan as you may well also draw Throw Yourself in Next Time.  I like that card, and if you get it, play it!  

By Serie 4 last time, I had a really fun FP as well-I'd ditched Boromir, which was a tough call as I had Saga of Elendil, and I chose not to play the HttWC that I pulled, but went for Gimli, SoG, Gandlaf, the Grey Wizard, Fror and Legolas, Prince of Mirkood.  3 Gandalf signets for TMaYOD!  Oh, and Shoulder to Shoulder and Deep in thought to wrap it all off :)  I accidentally played that deck in a normal casual game once.  It won, and quite happily-Gimli killing the Witch King was the highlight.

However, there really is no right way to play this sealed.  All routes are viable, in my opinion, which is why this is my favourite of all the sealed leagues (except perhaps Revised Movie).  And obviously, if you pull Aragorn's Bow and Worry, ignore all of the above and go for Aragorn.  It is a bit of a pity Boromir's Starter is so rarely seen (my first real set of cards).  His Cloak is good against the strategy above, but otherwise I do prefer Foul Creation form Legolas.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:37:52 PM by Legion »

January 07, 2015, 05:50:08 PM
Reply #19

zen89

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 05:50:08 PM »
While Gandalf indeed cant kil anything, he draws you the FP cards that allow you to double, at least that has been my experience.

I'm not fitting in the other stuff (axes, bracers, events), I'm using it because it's really good......Gimli is the most reliable companion in the format at killing stuff so you can double.

I dont see how Gimli kills anything without you fitting in his stuff.

Maybe I should've italicized 'fitting in.'

I'm using the cards, but 'fitting in' implies that I'm having to make space for them in lieu of other, more deserving cards, in order for Gimli to be effective. That isn't really the case--I'm using them because a tough, skirmishing Gimli is the only companion in FotR Sealed other than a Ranger's Sword Aragorn who can reliably drop minions and allow you to double.

He can, with all his equipment or with pumps, kill an Uruk. He also chokes for multiple sites.

Also, thanks to Legion for an excellent post. Probably one of the best defenses I've seen of the Gandalf starter for Serie 1. I agree that Moria is a tough fellow in Serie 1 and gets a decent amount of kills. I just think it gets much harder in the subsequent series. But given that I already have four losses in the current league, maybe I'm totally wrong. :)

January 08, 2015, 06:33:34 AM
Reply #20

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 06:33:34 AM »
I know this appears to be going against the grain here, but I'm sticking to my guns.  All things being equal, I'd go for Gandalf in serie 1, followed by Gimli then Legolas.  I'm going to apologise in advance for quite a lengthy opinion coming right up :)

Before I begin Serie 1 (and to be honest 2,3 and 4) is all about Boromir, SoD.  Don't use Lord of Gondor, even if he is rare.  Allowing Frodo to fight Uruks without fear is still better than not dying to Uruks himself, even with armour, and he is soooo much more useful against Moria.

Well...You might be going "against the grain" from what has been posted here, for the most part. However, out of everyone that has posted, you're the only one who really places in the top for Sealed leagues, except for maybe zen that I can remember, so you have to give some weight to your opinion.

I agree Aragorn FP is solid. If either of your Gondor guys get the sword, the large pool of pumps that they have helps them double quite a bit. Son of Denethor is really great to drop at 7 or 8 and move to 9...if they play him at site 3 to draw the card though, any Orc deck can usually overwhelm him by 7, if they play very smart (coat of mail can be bothersome, I'm always happy to see my opponent unwittingly throw down Armors, which happens more often).

The Uruks really are overrated. I went 8-4, which wasn't stellar, but respectable considering I drew nothing game-altering, but none of my losses came from Frodo overwhelm.  

After playing 12 games and watching twice as many, it is very clear the Uruk shadow is much more predictable than Moria. Why? The pool of Uruks, aside from rare pulls only includes 1 guy who is vitality 3. An exhausted Uruk means no unrevealed pumps unless they pulled yet another rare. I've been able to make several doubles to site 9 because I knew it was a safe gamble to assign to Frodo, knowing they MUST have a STMTN if they want to overwhelm him.

Whereas Moria you have 2 non-rare pumps and 1 rare pump which have no vitality requirements.  You have a more diverse pool non-rare minions, even possible game-changers like Warrior and Backstabber. "Oh so you did put that Coat of Mail on Boromir? I'm damage +2 here. Hope you have 3 Swordarm of the White Tower in hand". If you are a smart player, I'd really say you can do as much damage with the Moria deck in Serie 1 as the Uruks. Serie 2 gets challenging due to HLBSOF guaranteed (lost 2 games due to people pulling multiples of that card).

Also, as Cthulhu has always well-put, Moria gets Shores of Nen Hithoel, "the best Moria card" :) I'm convinced it really is, if you move wisely and play your shadow in such a way that gives you more control and a free single move to conserve companions.

I guess the only thing I'd slightly disagree with in your argument is the not using of Lord of Gondor if you pull him. I pulled one, and he really helped a lot when I played against Uruks. I DEFINITELY put both in the deck and played one or the other based on necessity. Showing I have a Moria deck, any smart player would often let you take the lead, knowing you would need a rare pull to keep from exerting at site 7. If I pulled him at site 4 or later, I would hold him till six and then play him. With most splash companions having 3 vitality, other than the hobbits. All of them exerting at 7 means you either need a pump or they die if assigned. Uruk shadows love this, and I noticed I was able to move relatively slowly and they would stay behind me. Partly due to avoiding a bomb that would kill Boromir, and also the clear advantage of the site 7. So, imho, if you pull Lord of Gondor, definitely put him in the deck :)

Though my other rares including things like Pale Blade with no King to use and borderline horrible cards like An Able Guide and Council of Elrond (why are these rares? haha), I was still pleased with my Lord of Gondor and foil Guard Commander (at least something that can take advantage of a flooded pool).

I also pulled Mithril Shaft and am not using it (a Delving would have been much nicer), does anyone here think it would be useful in serie 2? Not sure if its worth it, as I should be using TAC for discard...

January 08, 2015, 08:16:49 AM
Reply #21

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »
Wow, dmaz, it seems like you got a lot of the same rares I did.

January 08, 2015, 08:25:46 AM
Reply #22

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 08:25:46 AM »
Wow, dmaz, it seems like you got a lot of the same rares I did.

I thought the same exact thing when I read yours. I have mentioned this in the past as well, when opening boosters after tournaments/before sealed leagues. I think the coding has overlap, and treats the opening of a pack based on timing with no independence based on users.

I can't say for certain, but this has happened enough times that it's NOT just coincidence.

Perhaps if people are complaining about their pulls at the time the packs are released we should wait an hour or two? ;)

January 11, 2015, 04:10:06 PM
Reply #23

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
Well, that was effing ridiculous. I just opened my three MoM packs, and got THE SAME RARE IN EVERY PACK. It's a pretty decent rare, but if I go for the Gimli deck, it's completely useless.

January 11, 2015, 04:42:53 PM
Reply #24

zen89

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 04:42:53 PM »
Well, that was effing ridiculous. I just opened my three MoM packs, and got THE SAME RARE IN EVERY PACK. It's a pretty decent rare, but if I go for the Gimli deck, it's completely useless.

Haha I got the Balrog's Sword and the one that requires you to spot the Balrog and Whip of Many Thongs. Dear lord, could it have been more useless? :P

January 12, 2015, 02:59:11 AM
Reply #25

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 02:59:11 AM »

Haha I got the Balrog's Sword and the one that requires you to spot the Balrog and Whip of Many Thongs. Dear lord, could it have been more useless? :P

Ah, Final Cry...I pulled that in the last 2 For sealed, and was conceded that I would make it a trifecta... But thankfully, looks like you picked up mine for me ;)

January 12, 2015, 05:55:41 AM
Reply #26

BigRedMF

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 05:55:41 AM »
Balrog's sword is good in this sealed! I got a Pale blade 1st series and an Orc-bane 2nd series that are gathering dust...

January 12, 2015, 01:08:53 PM
Reply #27

zen89

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
Balrog's sword is good in this sealed! I got a Pale blade 1st series and an Orc-bane 2nd series that are gathering dust...

I was actually thinking about using it, as I usually run the Balrog (I know many don't). But given that it's so often a dead card, that Hobbit Stealth exists, and that people often just pitch Thrarin, I decided to skip it.

Maybe I'll change my mind!

January 12, 2015, 01:17:04 PM
Reply #28

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 01:17:04 PM »
Nah, that's good thinking.

January 12, 2015, 09:19:43 PM
Reply #29

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
Opponents are highly unlikely to have hobbit stealth on site 6 in this league.