LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fellowship Sealed League Strategies on Gemp  (Read 6868 times)

January 13, 2015, 07:12:24 AM
Reply #30

zen89

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Re: Fellowship Sealed League Strategies on Gemp
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 07:12:24 AM »
Opponents are highly unlikely to have hobbit stealth on site 6 in this league.

But given that I would be playing the Balrog at site five, that wouldn't seem to matter. :P

January 13, 2015, 07:15:13 AM
Reply #31

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 07:15:13 AM »
Besides, Hobbit Stealth works for site 5, not 6. Intuition would be better from 6 on.

January 13, 2015, 04:22:37 PM
Reply #32

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »
Sorry, meant site 5. Your opponent is unlikely to have Hobbit Stealth at site 5. They're also unlikely to have Armor, so I'd think The Balrog is generally a pretty good card in sealed.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

January 14, 2015, 02:24:19 AM
Reply #33

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 02:24:19 AM »
Sorry, meant site 5. Your opponent is unlikely to have Hobbit Stealth at site 5. They're also unlikely to have Armor, so I'd think The Balrog is generally a pretty good card in sealed.

No, its not, and no, he's not. Both cards are common, so there are not that hard to pull, and one of them is included in the most popular starter too, not to mention Hobbit Intuition which is included in every starter and you should have 4 by now usually does the job too, if Frodo or Merry have a Hobbit Sword (Boromir's activation too). So does an event on Gorn (6 of them in starter) and bunch ot other things, so if my opponent's only play on that crucial site 5 is just Durin's Bane, I pretty much pump the fist every time and double uneventfully.

Let me quote myself:

Durin's Bane on the other hand is just awful, it clogs your hand - I'd much rather play 3 uruks on Bridge and unload my hand so i can draw more FP for my turn, and usually they deal more damage and force more stops too. I love when this guy is the only thing they play on site 5, it means easy double for me after a stealth and a random event on Gorn. Armor or Filibert make him look even more silly. The only good thing going for him is the Snows combo some people like (play some isenguard minion, play Snows, play Durin's Bane) but even that is not so scarry if you have a Thrarin or some disposable comps like Pipin, or bunch of other things like Rangers Sword, so I never went for it. Note that the rare Balrog is a good addition to your Moria deck, if you manage to pull him from packs.

My current Gemp Tengwar count: 133 + 4

January 14, 2015, 08:34:37 AM
Reply #34

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
Great point, I can't argue with that.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

January 14, 2015, 09:58:42 AM
Reply #35

zen89

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 09:58:42 AM »

No, its not, and no, he's not. Both cards are common, so there are not that hard to pull, and one of them is included in the most popular starter too, not to mention Hobbit Intuition which is included in every starter and you should have 4 by now usually does the job too, if Frodo or Merry have a Hobbit Sword (Boromir's activation too). So does an event on Gorn (6 of them in starter) and bunch ot other things, so if my opponent's only play on that crucial site 5 is just Durin's Bane, I pretty much pump the fist every time and double uneventfully.

Let me quote myself:

Durin's Bane on the other hand is just awful, it clogs your hand - I'd much rather play 3 uruks on Bridge and unload my hand so i can draw more FP for my turn, and usually they deal more damage and force more stops too. I love when this guy is the only thing they play on site 5, it means easy double for me after a stealth and a random event on Gorn. Armor or Filibert make him look even more silly. The only good thing going for him is the Snows combo some people like (play some isenguard minion, play Snows, play Durin's Bane) but even that is not so scarry if you have a Thrarin or some disposable comps like Pipin, or bunch of other things like Rangers Sword, so I never went for it. Note that the rare Balrog is a good addition to your Moria deck, if you manage to pull him from packs.

I pretty much agree with 98% of this. Armor, Bounders, and Hobbit Stealth are all so ubiquitous that the Balrog is pretty hit-or-miss for me. Dangerous to play because it will often allow a 4-6 double, and can be a hand-clogger.

I don't know about 'awful', because he's still somewhat useful on the 3-5 double, and you'll sometimes dump two companions with him, but he's definitely an iffy card.

January 14, 2015, 10:26:08 AM
Reply #36

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »
The only time Ive seen him taking two comps against any decent deck is with the Snows combo mentioned, but even with my 2x Snows this time I didnt put him in, because aside from the mentioned cards like Thrarin, various meatshield comps and Ranger's Sword that prevent it being too effective play, I cant reliably hope that even if I have Snows  they will give me 11-12 twilight on Bridge in the format with the most choke.

My current Gemp Tengwar count: 133 + 4

January 14, 2015, 11:51:50 AM
Reply #37

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »
If you're playing a fairly large deck, like Moria or a combination of Moria and Sauron, which makes use of hand cyclers anyway, then the Balrog is not a bad choice.

He's not great by any means, due to the numerous ways of dealing with him (all those mentioned and more), but he might be worth having in there if your opponent just didn't get the right cards out to deal with him. Being able to take down a non-meatshield companion with just a click on the site is nice, if things work that way, so I'd always include him.

More times than I use him I dump him with TAC tho...and if you draw him before site 4 you really ought to dump him as well....If you are still playing Uruks though and your deck is lean, to where each card counts it really wouldn't be practical to play him.

January 14, 2015, 12:13:25 PM
Reply #38

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 12:13:25 PM »
Just had a game where Balrog hit me on 4. That indeed DID stop me ;)

January 14, 2015, 12:17:09 PM
Reply #39

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 12:17:09 PM »
If you're lucky, the Balrog might kill Thrarin or a weak Hobbit. But that's it. He simply can't cause much damage in this format.

Now, if you pulled Flame of Udun, on the other hand....
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

January 24, 2015, 06:01:39 PM
Reply #40

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »
I've changed my vote.  I previously said "All thing being equal" and then assumed you had good pulls for Legolas.  Without Shoulder to Shoulder, I'd actually go Boromir taking the shadow down a wounding path.  Tower Lieutenant is so good at stopping doubles, and if he doesn't, you can probably double after discarding your opponent's Snows or other frightening card.  Plus you get Boromir's Cloak which is a much better way of getting rid of Snows.  It does stop you from going down "Swarm alley", though.  You have to do wounding, but that's OK.

January 25, 2015, 03:52:37 PM
Reply #41

zen89

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »
I've changed my vote.  I previously said "All thing being equal" and then assumed you had good pulls for Legolas.  Without Shoulder to Shoulder, I'd actually go Boromir taking the shadow down a wounding path.  Tower Lieutenant is so good at stopping doubles, and if he doesn't, you can probably double after discarding your opponent's Snows or other frightening card.  Plus you get Boromir's Cloak which is a much better way of getting rid of Snows.  It does stop you from going down "Swarm alley", though.  You have to do wounding, but that's OK.

I love Boromir's Cloak, but it's really hard to say no to Foul Creation, Frying Pan, and Saruman's Shows (which is ridiculous). Plus double-archer Legolas, who is sneakily an awesome companion, especially against Uruks.

January 26, 2015, 01:33:41 PM
Reply #42

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 01:33:41 PM »
Foul Creation leaves you stuck with an annoying choice: run those elf allies, or get Legolas in one hit range of those Uruks that get through.  I don't find it's such a helpful card, especially if it costs 1.  Drawing cards is nice, though.  Frying Pan is good against orcs, but if you go down that route (remember my vote had Gandalf then Gimli), the only hobbit you have is Frodo (unless you drew one) if you go Legolas.  This means that you either need to pack Hobbit Sword and hope to draw it first vs Uruks, of be stuck with a strength 5 Frodo.  But Strength 5 is in itself a massive issue.  6 is a golden number for any Frodo as it means he cannot be overwhelmed by Enquea without pumps.  Against Sauron Grind, I still prefer Hobbit Sword as it lets you take on 2 Orc Ambushers (and there will be more minions than companions at Tol Brandir), and now you can exert Frodo with UtWE instead of your precious Boromir.  Also, any decent swarm will have Saruman's Snows, so again Hobbit Sword is better.

The Legolas is OK, but I prefer the Dwarves,  Farin can actually use the pumps, so a Fellowship of Gimli, Gandalf, Boromir (the advantage of Legolas Starter is that you do get more than one SoD) and Farin (Fror if you pull one) is very solid.

January 27, 2015, 09:21:25 PM
Reply #43

zen89

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 09:21:25 PM »
Foul Creation is one of the best ways to foil snows-based swarm decks--it can also pick off Saruman, and seeing the opponent's hand can be incredibly important against Uruks in particular, as it allows you to see whether they have Bred for Battle. Also, if you drew any of the Elf archer allies from FotR, or if you play Haldir, it doesn't necessarily require a Legolas exertion.

I suppose if my only hobbit was Frodo I'd like Frying Pan less, but if you have Sam SoH it's very valuable. It can often allow easy doubles in the middle of the game against Moria.

I think Legolas is hugely underrated--he can single-handedly trivialize the 1-3 double, and also is a major contributor at 7-8. Even if you don't kill things, weakening them allows you to double more easily, and it lessens the need to plan for Bred for Battle. Combined with Hand Axes and Here Lies Balin, Son of Fundin, you can also occasionally play a wounding strategy.

July 22, 2015, 08:18:09 AM
Reply #44

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 08:18:09 AM »
This Sealed, my card pool was enriched by some very good Isengard cards like Orthanc Assassin, a 3rd Ambition, Uruk Fighter, 2 Uruk Warrior and a 3rd Uruk-hai Raiding Party. But those were void once Goblin Swarms looked at me. I got a 4th Scout, Host of Thousands and I believe 4th Goblin Scavengers out of the packs. Companion wise I got it good with Boromir SoD, 3rd Gimli, 3rd Legolas, Pippin and a Haldir. Ottar and Risk a Little Light helped sway the favor to Gandalf.

So I re-read this thread and followed Merrick's advice.

This is the deck for Series 1:

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Son of Drogo
Ring: The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Adventure deck:
Westfarthing
Ettenmoors
Council Courtyard
Mithril Mine
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Dimrill Dale
Anduin Confluence
Shores of Nen Hithoel
Emyn Muil

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Dwarf Guard
2x Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor
1x Haldir, Elf of the Golden Wood
3x Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood
2x Gandalf, The Grey Wizard
2x Boromir, Son of Denethor
1x Pippin, Friend to Frodo
1x Silinde, Elf of Mirkwood
1x Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor
1x Ottar, Man of Laketown
3x Bounder
1x Armor
2x Hobbit Sword
1x Foul Creation
4x Mysterious Wizard
1x Risk a Little Light
1x Sleep Caradhras
2x Hobbit Intuition
1x Hobbit Stealth
2x Noble Intentions

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Goblin Marksman
4x Goblin Runner
4x Goblin Scavengers
3x Goblin Sneak
4x Moria Scout
2x Orc Inquisitor
1x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
4x Goblin Scimitar
4x Host of Thousands
1x Goblin Swarms
2x They Are Coming

I cannot remember if I had any difficult games, but I do remember that Swarms was out by 4 at the latest in all but one or two games. And without Pan and a scarce Boromir, that made things easy.

10-0

(Gimli starter) The packs for series two graced me with two A Promise, but I got no Sam to use them :( I got a Fror, so I went Dwarves:

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer

Adventure deck:
Westfarthing
Ettenmoors
Council Courtyard
Mithril Mine
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Dimrill Dale
Anduin Confluence
Shores of Nen Hithoel
Tol Brandir

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
2x Farin, Dwarven Emissary
1x Fror, Gimli's Kinsman
1x Gimli, Dwarf of the Mountain-race
1x Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood
2x Gandalf, The Grey Wizard
2x Boromir, Son of Denethor
1x Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
2x Bounder
2x Dwarven Axe
3x Hand Axe
2x Hobbit Sword
3x Axe Strike
4x Flurry of Blows
2x Here Lies Balin, Son of Fundin
1x Sleep Caradhras
3x Hobbit Intuition
1x Hobbit Stealth

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Goblin Marksman
4x Goblin Runner
4x Goblin Scavengers
3x Goblin Sneak
4x Moria Scout
3x Orc Ambusher
4x Goblin Scimitar
4x Host of Thousands
1x Goblin Swarms
2x They Are Coming

This series proved very hard as my draws were often imbalanced. Very often. Going so many skirmish events was a mistake, but I lost only 2. 1 to a very, VERY good card pool. Again, Swarms early on.

8-2

In series 3 (Legolas starter) I thought it would all fall apart due to Frying Pan. But I think I encountered one Pan total. And played on some schmug that was not Frodo or Sam. I went for less skirmish events that might clog my hand. Dinendal and Legolas were the only things I used for the freeps from the packs and starters. And of course Frying Pan.

Adventure deck:
Westfarthing
Ettenmoors
Council Courtyard
Mithril Mine
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Dimrill Dale
Anduin Confluence
Shores of Nen Hithoel
Tol Brandir

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Fror, Gimli's Kinsman
2x Legolas, Son of Thranduil
1x Gandalf, The Grey Wizard
4x Boromir, Son of Denethor
1x Pippin, Mr. Took
1x Dinendal, Silent Scout
2x Bounder
2x Dwarven Axe
2x Hand Axe
1x Frying Pan
1x Hobbit Sword
3x Axe Strike
1x Here Lies Balin, Son of Fundin
2x Foul Creation
1x Sleep Caradhras
3x Hobbit Intuition

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Goblin Marksman
4x Goblin Runner
4x Goblin Scavengers
3x Goblin Sneak
4x Moria Scout
3x Orc Ambusher
4x Goblin Scimitar
4x Host of Thousands
1x Goblin Swarms
2x They Are Coming

It went surprisingly good, with almost all kills. Swarms early on again. Which is always a big plus.

10-0

Series 4 would change all that. I got Guard Commander who was on my wish list and a Calaglin who is 1000x better than Dinendal. So I switched one Goblin Marksman for Commander and the two elf allies for each other. After the 3rd or 4th game I cut a Host in favor of a second Shotgun Enquea.

Adventure deck:
Westfarthing
Ettenmoors
Council Courtyard
Mithril Mine
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Dimrill Dale
Anduin Confluence
Shores of Nen Hithoel
Tol Brandir

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Fror, Gimli's Kinsman
2x Legolas, Son of Thranduil
1x Gandalf, The Grey Wizard
4x Boromir, Son of Denethor
1x Pippin, Mr. Took
1x Dinendal, Silent Scout
2x Bounder
2x Dwarven Axe
2x Hand Axe
1x Frying Pan
1x Hobbit Sword
3x Axe Strike
1x Here Lies Balin, Son of Fundin
2x Foul Creation
1x Sleep Caradhras
3x Hobbit Intuition

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Goblin Marksman
4x Goblin Runner
4x Goblin Scavengers
3x Goblin Sneak
4x Moria Scout
3x Orc Ambusher
4x Goblin Scimitar
4x Host of Thousands
1x Goblin Swarms
2x They Are Coming

In this series I faced several PATHS (3 total), 1 or 2 Aragorn's Bow and a complete screwed up draw that allowed for some doubles. For my opponent. Swarms was mostly late game and did nothing, sometimes even TAC would be site 7 or later. It just wasn't my series.

6-4

In ALL cases where I was able to, I threw every elf to the bin when facing Moria. That's why I didn't play my Long-knives. Those Scouts are just too nasty.

Here's the complete list of my card pool for those who are interested. I think I did everything I could:

Adventure deck:
Green Dragon Inn
Green Hill Country
Hobbiton Party Field
Town Center
Westfarthing
Breeland Forest
Ettenmoors
Council Courtyard
House of Elrond