LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: FF Choke and Initiative Orcs (King Standard)  (Read 2674 times)

October 26, 2018, 04:32:53 AM
Read 2674 times

RJH777

• Information Offline
  • Orc
FF Choke and Initiative Orcs (King Standard)
« on: October 26, 2018, 04:32:53 AM »
New deck I've been playtesting on Gemp. Improvements or feedback welcomed!

Adventure deck:
Steps of Edoras
Rohirrim Camp
Hall of the Kings
Osgiliath Fallen
City Gates
Minas Tirith Third Circle
Osgiliath Crossing
Morgul Vale
Dagorlad

Free Peoples: 34

Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry
Faramir, Son of Denethor

1x Sam, Son of Hamfast
2x Athelas
2x Faramir's Bow
1x Faramir's Cloak
1x Sword of Gondor
1x Sam's Pack
2x Sting, Baggins Heirloom
1x Mithril-coat
2x Banner of the White Tree
2x Dagger Strike
2x New Errand
2x Mind Your Own Affairs
2x Power According to His Stature
2x Severed His Bonds
1x Boromir, My Brother
1x Citadel of the Stars
4x Gondor Bowmen
1x The Saga of Elendil
1x Cliffs of Emyn Muil
2x There and Back Again

Shadow:34

2x Orc Archer Troop
4x Orc Chaser
1x Orc Patrol
4x Orc Pursuer
2x Orc Seeker
4x Orc Stalker
1x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
4x Besieging Pike
1x Rope and Winch
1x Dead Marshes
1x Morannon
1x Legions of Morgul
4x Orc Banner
4x Some Secret Art of Flame

The freeps is a fun (for you) little choke deck. Inspired by classic Aragorn/Frodo choke decks but using Faramir's great game text to give protection against any nasty skirmish abilities of any thing that does hit the field. Also means you can utilise Mind Your Own Affairs which combined with New Errand gives another layer of protection for Frodo.

Shadow aims to set up initiative with SSoaF and Orc Banner then aims to drop a bomb on site 5 or 7 of cheap but crazy strength orcs.

October 26, 2018, 05:28:34 AM
Reply #1

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: FF Choke and Initiative Orcs (King Standard)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 05:28:34 AM »
Suggestions:
Fellow:
Put in I Will Go to absorb some more minions. Oh, and maybe some ways to heal (i.e. more Athelas or something else. Oh, just saw Sam's Pack mhh I guess thats enough then)

Citadel of the Stars seems odd to me, maybe cut it and add add doubles to some cards like Sam's Pack or other important One-offs.

Maybe consider swapping Frodo, RA for Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir and Severed His Bonds for Bounders, but thats up to you.

Shadow:
Looks good, maybe consider dropping Orc Archer Troop for something else (Maybe 1 Orc Patrol and something else?)since it does not really add anything. (Except a Strength 15 fierce guy what seems solid)

Other than that it seems pretty straight forward.

Hope I could help you.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:12:03 AM by Wyrden333 »
Go King Standard!

October 26, 2018, 07:16:39 AM
Reply #2

RJH777

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 07:16:39 AM »
Citadel is to help against Dunland and their pesky hides and Polearm wielding Easterlings.

Yeah going to drop the archer troops for something else - probably a couple copies of fires raged unchecked as struggling to get my conditions set up quick enough at the moment.

The trouble with I will go (although I like it's thematic accuracy!) Is the cost - playing it is often enough to result in the extra minion it helps absorb (unless drawn early enough to not matter).

Also trying a variant using Faramir, Ithilien Ranger and Sam with 4x A Promise and ATFNBS as it's effectively the same amount of twilight but allows for cycling if I use Resolute Halfling and makes Frodo even harder to kill. Frodo, Son of Drogo and Resolute Halfling also creates a nice little healing loop and helps cycle too...

October 26, 2018, 08:55:23 AM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:55:23 AM »
I would consider starting Frodo, Sam, Legolas, Greenleaf, and a version of Smeagol (probably Always Helps). Four copies of Faramir in deck. Kill Legolas when you're done with him and Smeagol can be dispensable too--though with Don't Look at Them he can be a real killing machine.

Of course, that might shift the deck a little more than you intend. You could also spot a copy of No Help For It and then consider switching Sam to Frodo's Gardener or Resolute Halfling.

But yes, I like the four copies of A Promise version...Frodo needs to be buff if you have only one or two other companions.
-wtk
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:29:02 AM by ket_the_jet »

October 26, 2018, 08:56:06 AM
Reply #4

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 08:56:06 AM »
Buuuuut, if I Will Go gives the opponent the twilight for one minions to absorb, any turn after that you absorb a minion for free. I don't know, I havent tried it (even though I might, if I'm bored, I really like the idea) and itt's up to you, but I think it would work.

The both other things have a point.

Go King Standard!

October 26, 2018, 09:26:52 AM
Reply #5

RJH777

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
Yeah think I'll put it in and see - the Sam version seems to work a bit better at the moment, the cycling really helps the shadow

October 26, 2018, 09:28:48 AM
Reply #6

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »
Yeah think I'll put it in and see - the Sam version seems to work a bit better at the moment, the cycling really helps the shadow
If cycling is your problem, it doesn't get better than Sam, Resolute Halfling.
-wtk

October 26, 2018, 09:32:42 AM
Reply #7

RJH777

• Information Offline
  • Orc

October 26, 2018, 10:05:36 AM
Reply #8

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
Yeah - but losing Son of Denethor's ability and Frodo signer hurts. Smeagol with don't look at them could work though and then not listening also helps get the burdens off...something like...

Your updated free peoples looks vaguely like my Frodo/Sam/Smeagol free peoples I posted yesterday. I think the issue with your current build is that Faramir just does not have the vitality to handle so much damage, particularly if he is trying to use Gondor Bowmen and Citadel of the Stars. You won't have any condition discarding in your deck and it is very prone to Saruman's Power.

16 minions is also far too few for the shadow side you are trying to put together. Deck probably needs Grishnakh, Orc Captain for hand extension. Orc Officer and Orc Savage could be nice additions as well. If you even went this direction, I'd prefer to see Enheartened Foe over Besieging Pike.
-wtk