LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 103132 times)

December 17, 2008, 11:10:22 AM
Read 103132 times

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Brave New World spoilers!
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:10:22 AM »
BRAVE NEW WORLD BLOCK

BACKGROUND:
Aalistair, Morwen, Baal, Lyn and Abel were brothers that lived in Dominaria. Not in the common sense of the world, of course, but ever since they were little, they learned the hard way that in the Asgard orphanage, you either clinged together, or you'd be done for in no time.
Asgard had that name due to old legends, being a place where Gods lived, and that's exactly what they tried to do there: erect new Gods. Using phyrexian technology and experimenting with mana, they infused and exposed children to absurdly large amounts of raw mana, harnessing it as they went, trying to create new, powerful superbeings, that might some day defy the Planeswalkers and close the Planar Rifts for good, protecting Dominaria forever. Of couse, most of them didn't make it through the early stages, and thos who did make it ended up severely changed, bitter, empty, lonely.
The five, talented as they were, made it through the whole training with ease, and were supposed to be the first batch of man-made Gods to be unleashed upon Dominaria, soon enough. However, a group of powerful Planeswalkers discovered their plan and launched a surprise attack on the facility, blowing it to smithereens. However, due to the amount of raw mana and the concentrated power of the beings that inhabited the place, the explosion unleashed so much energy that it opened a Planar Rift, but one that had never been seen beofre, that led to a new place.
That's where the five brothers woke up, not knowing exactly where they were or how to come back. They searched for a long time, but found absolutely nothing, for the world was completely empty of life. However, it was not empty of mana, and they soon came to realize that the mana reacted to them, it let them create matter out of thin air! And just like that, their "prophecy", their "destiny", had been fulfilled: they were, in every sense of the word, Gods. They did not age and they were omnipotent!
They created a whole new world, from landscapes to living beings, but soon arguments started to arise, for each of them thought their way of seeing things was the best one, and that would keep their precious new world, their sanctuary, safe.
As time passed, as centuries passed, those arguments escalated tofights, which escalated to grudges, and just like that, after a long time, they went their separate ways. However, they were still concerned with protecting their sanctuary, so each of them started experimenting with mana, creating races of intelligent beings to worship and serve them, so that they might march upon their brothers' lands and conquer them, becoming the ONLY God in that world.

FIRST SET
NAME: Brave New World
THEMES: Color-pie bleeding, monocolored cards
NEW ABILITIES:
CARD BREAKDOWN: 360 cards
White: 65
Blue: 65
Black: 65
Red: 65
Green: 65
Multicolored: 10
Artifact: 5
Land: 20
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:38:47 AM by Felipe Musco »

December 17, 2008, 01:10:39 PM
Reply #1

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
Re: FM's DC set!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:10:39 PM »

A bit bland. Not really that great for a spoiler that lays out the theme of the set. I don't really see it getting that much play.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

December 19, 2008, 04:45:11 PM
Reply #2

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »
I agree, NBarden.

And I'm not sure why you feel the need to "reserve" a thread that currently has no substance.

You, sir, are a laugh.

December 19, 2008, 05:32:37 PM
Reply #3

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
It's mainly to get people stirredup, to see if it can cause some movement 'round here instead of simlpy posting it. Hey, spoilers are what keep people coming, who can blame me for wanting to milk it as fas as possible, right? ;)

December 19, 2008, 10:32:49 PM
Reply #4

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »
And the card you opened with...pathetic. Sorry to be so blunt, but it was.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

January 13, 2009, 11:23:56 AM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »
Ok, I'm still struggling for a name, but for now, I'll pay homage and call it Brave New World. It'll be about that, the molding of a new world, created from a Planar Rift originated from a Planeswalkers battle! So, since it's gonna be a new world, the "rules" of regular worlds will not apply to it... yet. Thus, as each new powerful Planeswalker try to stabilish his Ruling in this new world, they'll branch out extracting as much mana as they can from the natural sources, so the first set will focus mostly on monocolored cards, with a few multicolor experiments by them taking place now and then. Expect a lot of cycles, as each Planeswalker will try to mimic what the other discovered, although they'll soon learn not every type of mana is adequate for every type os magic, so they'll be loose cycles, mostly. As the battles proceed, they'll try to forge alliances left and right, so as to be able to stabilish power in a given region, so the second set will be about multi-colored cards, all over the color spectrum. At the same time, the colors will begin to settle, since that's the kind of abilities that type of mana excels at. There will still be a bit of bleeding, though, although not the kind you might expect. The last set will be about the new-estabilished order and the efforts to maintain itself, so cards will follow the color pie really closely, and we will only have multicolored cards of the "classic" alliances, meaning only allied colors.
As soon as the backstory is ready, I'll post it in the first post and put an "update" notice here.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:29:21 AM by Felipe Musco »

January 13, 2009, 11:56:19 AM
Reply #6

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: FM's DC block!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »
Aaaaaand, updated!

January 14, 2009, 02:39:15 AM
Reply #7

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:39:15 AM »
I'll be trying to keep up with this, though I'm not sure how good my DCing instinct is for MTG yet. Nevertheless, the backstory seems solid and I'm looking forward to some cards!

Thranduil

January 14, 2009, 07:26:41 AM
Reply #8

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 07:26:41 AM »
Not only that, I have every intention of writing the cards into MWS and Apprentice (and maybe GCCC if it supports Magic) so we can actually PLAY with them sometime. ;) Not to mention it will be nice to actually see cards designed for Limited play seeing Limited usage, etc. I'll have the first "spoilers" today.

January 14, 2009, 08:05:01 AM
Reply #9

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 08:05:01 AM »
Ok, now, I know it's anticlimatic to open a spoiler with reprints, but these cards capture GREATLY the feel of "greed" for mana and experimenting with them (not to mention WAR, because of their names), while STILL having a "dominant" color, so ,for the first spoiler, I give you half of the multi-colored cards!

Brilliant Ultimatum (W)(W)(U)(U)(U)(B)(B)
Sorcery
Remove the top five cards of your library from the game. An opponent separates those cards into two piles. You may play any number of cards from one of those piles without paying their mana costs.
R

Clarion Ultimatum (G)(G)(W)(W)(W)(U)(U)
Sorcery
Choose five permanents you control. For each of those permanents, you may search your library for a card with the same name as that permanent. Put those cards into play tapped, then shuffle your library.
R

Cruel Ultimatum (U)(U)(B)(B)(B)(R)(R)
Sorcery
Target opponent sacrifices a creature, discards three cards, then loses 5 life. You return a creature card from your graveyard to your hand, draw three cards, then gain 5 life.
R

Titanic Ultimatum (R)(R)(G)(G)(G)(W)(W)
Sorcery
Until end of turn, creatures you control get +5/+5 and gain first strike, lifelink, and trample.
R

Violent Ultimatum (B)(B)(R)(R)(R)(G)(G)
Sorcery
Destroy three target permanents.
R

However, since I think this is hardly fair as a spoiler, I'll post ANOTHER spoiler later. ;)

January 14, 2009, 09:25:26 AM
Reply #10

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:25:26 AM »
And here they are! Each brother, of course, represents a color, I'm sure you already knew that, duh! BUT which one is each? And how will their abilities tie in with the set's theme? Each of them will have a strong tie with their native color, or course, and will show their "evil" nature, what drove them to turn on their brothers.
Well, enough waiting, here they are, in all their glory! My first ACTUAL cards for Brave New World, the five brothers!

Aalistair the Violent (G)(G)(G)(G)
Planeswalker - Aalistair
+1: Untap all basic lands you control.
-2: Alistair deals 2 damage to target creature.
-6: Search your library for up to 4 basic land cards and put them into play tapped. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Loyalty: 5
R

Abel the Treacherous (U)(U)(U)
Planeswalker - Abel
Chroma - As Abel comes into play, put a loyalty counter on him for each blue mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control (Abel counts itself).
+1: Look at the top 3 cards of your library. Put them back in any order or shuffle your library.
+1: Destroy target creature. You lose 4 life.
-11: Gain control of all permanents.
Loyalty: 0
R

Baal the Corrupted (B)(B)(B)
Planeswalker - Baal
-1: Draw a card. You lose 1 life.
-2: Return target creature card from your graveyard to play.
-5: Return all creature cards from all graveyards to play under your control. Those creatures gain haste. At end of turn, remove them from the game.
Loyalty: 4
R

Lyn the Enthralling (W)(W)(W)(W)
Planeswalker - Lyn
+1: Gain 3 life.
-2: Gain control of target creature.
-8: Remove from the game all creatures you don't control.
Loyalty: 5
R

Morwen the Furious (R)(R)(R)
Planeswalker - Morwen
+1: Morwen deals 2 damage to target player.
+1: Destroy target creature with power 3 or less.
-2: Change the target of a spell that has a single target. You may play this ability any time you could play an instant (if you play this ability during your turn, it still counts as your Planeswalker ability used for the turn).
-5: Put 3 6/1 red elemental creature tokens in play. They have haste, trample and "at end of turn, sacrifice this creature".
Loyalty: 3
R
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:18:03 AM by Felipe Musco »

January 14, 2009, 12:03:20 PM
Reply #11

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:20 PM »
Aaaaaand a few more spoilers to keep the folks interested (if they are at all, of course). See, now, experimenting with mana, specially when you're a God, tends to have some impact in the surrounding landscapes. THIS is what these cards show. And surely, you can make all sorts of crazy interactions with them!

Barren Mines
Basic Land - Mountain
Barren Mines can't add red mana to a mana pool.
(T): Add (B) to your mana pool.
C

Insular Sanctuary
Basic Land - Island
Insular Sanctuary can't add blue mana to a mana pool.
(T): Add (W) to your mana pool.
C

Liquen-covered Grove
Basic Land - Forest
Liquen-covered Grove can't add green mana to a mana pool.
(T): Add (U) to your mana pool.
C

Murky Highlands
Basic Land - Swamp
Murky Highlands can't add black mana to a mana pool.
(T): Add (R) to your mana pool.
C

Overgrown Fields
Basic Land - Plains
Overgrown Fields can't add white mana to a mana pool.
(T): Add (G) to your mana pool.
C

Sanctified Woods
Basic Land - Forest
Sanctified Woods can't add green mana to a mana pool.
(T): Add (W) to your mana pool.
C

Sulfuric Fountain
Basic Land - Island
Sulfuric Fountain can't add blue mana to a mana pool.
(T): Add (R) to your mana pool.
C

Washed-over Swamp
Basic Land - Swamp
Washed-over Marsh can't add black mana to a mana pool.
(T): Add (U) to your mana pool.
C

January 14, 2009, 02:47:58 PM
Reply #12

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
Is there going to be a setup to put counters on Planeswalkers? Specifically for Baal the Corrupted.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

January 14, 2009, 04:58:05 PM
Reply #13

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:58:05 PM »
Ahá! ;) Yes, there will be a few ways to put extra counters on them (nice that someone caught it, gp for ya).

January 14, 2009, 07:20:22 PM
Reply #14

Centurion

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »
Point of interest Morwen is the name of a character from LOTR she is actually the mother of Turin the blacksword  *cringes from glares shot his way* so sorry just couldn't help but catch that. A little known completely irrelevant fact that I only know because I am currently reading the Children of Hurin (great book by the way) and I am relatively sure that there is no ripping being done by FM I have even done something similar in a story I wrote awhile back referencing a character named Eragon as a traitor to some fief in a far away land BEFORE Paolini's work came out so I know how that is don't get too mad OK? *flees hail of balled up paper napkins* Shutting up now!!
Caffeine destroys Society.
Society destroys Freedom.
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings (and therefore should not be destroyed.)
Caffeine, therefore, destroys the enemy of freedom.

Caffeine, therefore, is a sacred weapon for the protection of all sentient beings. -- Agent Drake