LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 103145 times)

May 19, 2010, 01:36:43 PM
Reply #165

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
Let's kick things off again. I'm starting tomorrow, with 2 cycles of enchantments, one at uncommon and one at rare, both depicting the experience in exploting raw mana and how commonplace some effects became, meaning, they'll all deal with colored mana somehow, and the rare ones will deal with color-bleeding abilities.

May 21, 2010, 01:27:43 PM
Reply #166

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »
Pure-hearted Shrine [2](W)(W)
Legendary Enchantment - Shrine
At the start of your upkeep, put a 1/1 white soldier creature token onto the battlefield for each shrine you control.
[X]: Search your library for a shrine with mana cost X and put it onto the battlefield. Play this ability only as a sorcery.
R

Now, this is the tie-in of the cycle. The second ability will be present in all shrines, and makes for color-bleeding in a sense that not only every color gets to search out enchantments, they get to put it directly onto the battlefield. Also, notice it doesn't say CONVERTED mana cost, meaning the ability must be payed for with off-color mana.

Anger-filled Shrine [2](R)(R)
At the start of your upkeep, Anger-filled Shrine deals 1 damage to each creature for each shrine you control.
[X]: Search your library for a shrine with mana cost X and put it onto the battlefield. Play this ability only as a sorcery.
R

Overrun Shrine [2](G)(G)
At the start of your upkeep, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each shrine you control.
R

Presence-ridden Shrine [2](U)(U)
At the start of your upkeep, you may return a target permanent to its owner's hand for each shrine you control, .
R

Ground-disturbing Shrine [2](B)(B)
At the start of your upkeep, you may return target creature card with converted mana cost X or less from a graveyard to the battlefield, where X is the number of shrines you control.
R
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:37:43 PM by Felipe Musco »

May 26, 2010, 04:46:02 AM
Reply #167

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2010, 04:46:02 AM »
I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of this cycle. Especially as they don't work very well together (why would you make a load of 1/1s and then damage to each creature?). The (U) one is also quite insane (much more so than the (G) one for example). They could have different costs to deal with slight disparages in power level.

May 27, 2010, 08:48:07 AM
Reply #168

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2010, 08:48:07 AM »
I think you misunderstand the concept of the cycle. They're not that much powerful (heck, not at all, to be honest), unless the deck is dedicated around shrines. It's a Johnny concept, if at all, while also dealing slightly with rules, since you can stack the triggers to, say, deal damage BEFORE putting your creatures onto the battlefield? Or to pump your team prior to unleashing #$&*@!? ;)

June 22, 2010, 10:36:47 AM
Reply #169

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2010, 10:36:47 AM »
I'm bumping this up for the same reason I did so when Deprive was spoiled. There was a lot of debate around this card I designed for the set:

Goldenwood Elite (G)(G)
Creature - Elf Warrior
3/3
U

It was first spoiled at common, and it caused quite some ruckus. Now this card is scheduled (and confirmed) to be released in M11:

Garruk's Companion (G)(G)
Creature - Beast
Trample
3/2
C

Considering the "bolt" of choice in Standard is Lightning Bolt, and not Shock anymore, 2 or 3 toughness do not make THAT much of a difference, so as an aggro player I'd KILL to have trample over 1 toughness. Taking this into consideration, I'm moving the card back to common, as originally intended.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:05:36 AM by Felipe Musco »

July 21, 2011, 09:49:28 AM
Reply #170

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »
I've decided to necro this thread, to keep pushing my work, as I liked what I was doing here and I though it was turning out good enough, specially considering what's been released ever since.
So, to keep things going, I'm gonna post a slightly larger batch of cards, 1-2 from each color that are fairly simple in design, but still necessary for a set to work, the vanillas (I'm choosing to go with functional or plain old reprints here, because I think it's just lame to make random vanilla creatures, unless they fit in with the set, which is what I intend for them), and some others to keep people interested, since reading a new post after so long with only vanilla cards is boring.

Trained Griffin [1](W)(W)
Creature - Griffin Soldier
Flying
3/3
U

Lyn's Skyhunter (W)(W)
Creature - Human Knight
Flying
2/2
C

Avian Troops [3](U)(U)
Creature - Bird Soldier
Flying
4/4
U

Reanimated Corpse [2](B)
Creature - Zombie
3/2
C

Withered Wretch (B)(B)
Creature - Zombie Cleric
[1]: Exile target card from a graveyard
U

Goblin Piker [1](R)
Creature - Goblin Warrior
2/1
C

Trained Armodon [1](G)(G)
Creature - Elephant
3/3
C

And as for splash value, I know it's a reprint, but might as well bring it into the fun, specially since he ties in so well with the theme of experimenting and discovering:

Knight Exemplar [1](W)(W)
Creature - Human Knight
First strike
Other Knight creatures you control get +1/+1 and are indestructible.
2/2
R

As for new stuff:

Lord of the Skies (U)(U)
Creature - Bird Lord
Other Bird creatures you control get +1/+1 and can only be blocked by creatures with flying.
2/2
R

Nest of Horrors (B)(B)(B)
Tribal Enchantment - Horror
(B), pay 3 life: Put a 4/2 black Horror creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
U

Raining #$&*@! [4](R)(R)
Sorcery
Destroy six target lands.
R

This is a weird card to look at. It sure works wonders in LD'ing, but it's not optional, so you have to blow up 6 lands, even if some are your own. I guess unlimited power comes with a certain lack of control...

Elephant Guide [2](G)
Tribal Enchantment - Elephant Aura
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3.
When enchanted creature dies, put a 3/3 green Elephant creature token onto the battlefield.
U

This card is a weird reprint. It's actually a reprint with a correction I ought should be made.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:03:08 AM by FM »

July 21, 2011, 06:08:50 PM
Reply #171

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2011, 06:08:50 PM »

Flying
3/3
C

Assault Griffin. Power creep.

I do like Nest of Horrors though.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:10:49 PM by Gate Troll »

July 22, 2011, 07:31:42 AM
Reply #172

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2011, 07:31:42 AM »
Wild Griffin. Upgrade due to harsher mana cost. ;)

I did think about lowering his toughness to 2, but seeing as Lightning Bolt is in, removal will kill him regardless, and double-white is a pretty harsh cost. I might make him uncommon, though, so it'd show up less in packs. How'd that work? In constructed, he'd probably not see play anyway, so I'm mostly worried about Limited, seeing as monocolored decks will be the rule, having him at common might mean you get a ton of those, but on the other hand, in draft, players will be fighting over them, and I hate the fact that most spiders can completely hose fliers and stall the ground enough at 4 mana, I think that's pretty poor Limited experience. At least this guy can keep pushing your attacks for a while longer.

Went ahead and changed it to uncommon. Also tweaked Raining #$&*@! as a "cycle" card hailing to Hex. As it was, it was completely unplayable outside monored, and monored LD'ing has never been very good, it needs support colors, and the cost was prohibitive enough that you could'n play it in Limited reliably early enough even with red as a heavy main color (unless you only splashed a single card from another color and played a single land to support it in an otherwise monored deck).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:44:39 AM by FM »

July 22, 2011, 09:42:32 AM
Reply #173

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »
Lord of the Skies
Creature - Bird Lord
Bird creatures you control get +1/+1 and can only be blocked by creatures with flying.
2/2
R

Is he missing the word other at the start of his text?
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

July 22, 2011, 10:09:54 AM
Reply #174

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »
Flying
3/3
U
Soldier would normally only be used for a humanoid race, wouldn't it? A Griffin Soldier suggests to me some sort of intelligent race like Elephant goes to Loxodon and Salamander to Amphin (whoever the #$&*@! they are!). The card is also a very powerful limited card as already noted, but at uncommon I think it's probably fine. If I remember correctly from the cards you have posted in the past, however, a lot of them are very high on the power curve. I might watch out for how many powerful cards you are making.

Lord of the Skies (U)(U)
Creature - Bird Lord
Bird creatures you control get +1/+1 and can only be blocked by creatures with flying.
2/2
R
I agree with TJ. Isn't this text quite weird? And anyway, wouldn't most birds fly anyway? So it gets rid of reach, but that's a weird way of putting it, I think. If you wanted this guy to nullify reach, then I would just say so: "Creatures with reach lose reach."

Nest of Horrors (B)(B)(B)
Tribal Enchantment - Horror
(B), pay 3 life: Put a 4/2 black Horror creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
U
This seems pretty insane to me. Rare or mythic, then kind of fair enough. I do think the mana cost should be more than just one (B).

Raining #$&*@! [4](R)(R)
Sorcery
Destroy six target lands.
R
I like this card as an alternate Hex. I think I preferred its earlier coloured cost though—I might go with [3](R)(R)(R).

Elephant Guide [2](G)
Tribal Enchantment - Elephant Aura
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3.
When enchanted creature dies, put a 3/3 green Elephant creature token onto the battlefield.
U
Sure. Makes sense.

Thran

July 22, 2011, 11:01:58 AM
Reply #175

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2011, 11:01:58 AM »
Lord of the Skies
Creature - Bird Lord
2/2
R

Is he missing the word other at the start of his text?

He is. Fixed that.

July 22, 2011, 11:06:31 AM
Reply #176

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »
Nest of Horrors seems pretty good, but getting it down on the first place is pretty prohibitive, and losing life for each activation piles up quickly. I compare it to Zombie Infestation, which is uncommon and actually way better, even though it makes 2/2. It might get a bump up futurely, though.

As for the Lord, the wording seems weird but I don't want creatures to lose reach, I just like the idea that, under the Lord's guidance, the Birds simply fly high enough to get over reach, but I wouldn't like it to extend to other fliers, for flavor.

Last, about the Griffin, I thought long and hard about that, but didn't want to create a new race, thus the "trained" in his name, meaning he was trained enough to serve in the ranks, probably simple orders like "stack", "cover", "attack", etc.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:11:32 AM by FM »

July 22, 2011, 02:50:49 PM
Reply #177

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »
Ok, to fit in better with what MtG is doing nowadays, time to make a drastic change. I'm shaving more than 100 cards from the set. Scars of Mirrodin, Shards of Alara, M11, M12 and Zendikar are 249 cards each, so I'm cutting down to match it.

This will be the new breakdown:

Brave New World - 249 cards
White cards - 40, 11R, 9U, 20C
Blue cards - 40, 11R, 9U, 20C
Black cards - 40, 11R, 9U, 20C
Red cards - 40, 11R, 9U, 20C
Green cards - 40, 11R, 9U, 20C
Multicolored cards  - 10, 5R, 2U, 3C
Colorless cards - 19 (yes, I'm fitting in more for number's sake) 6R, 9U, 4C
Land cards - 20, 2R, 5U, 13C

July 26, 2011, 08:44:08 AM
Reply #178

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2011, 08:44:08 AM »
With the drastic changes undergone, we're now well on our way to 50% of the set spoiled soon, so let's see how it's turning out.

Total non-land cards spoiled - 87:
Creatures: 37 - 11 White, 4 Blue, 5 Black, 8 Red, 5 Green, 2 Multicolored, 2 Colorless
Sorceries: 15 - 1 White, 2 Black, 3 Red, 3 Green, 6 Multicolored
Instants: 15 - 2 White, 6 Blue, 2 Black, 3 Red, 2 Multicolored
Enchantments: 6 - 1 White, 1 Blue, 1 Black, 1 Red, 2 Green
Auras: 2 - 1 White, 2 Green
Tribal: 5 - 2 White, 3 Red
Artifacts: 5 - 5 Colorless
Equipments: 1 - 1 Colorless
Planeswalkers: 6 - 2 White, 1 Blue, 1 Black, 1 Red, 1 Green

Converted mana cost:
0: 0
1: 12
2: 20
3: 25
4: 17
5: 3
6: 3
7: 5
8: 1
X: 1

July 27, 2011, 10:21:36 AM
Reply #179

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »
So, spoiler time!

Back to color-bleeding a little:

Squandered Resources [3](U)
Sorcery
Target player discards two cards. Draw a card.
C