LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 103189 times)

February 08, 2010, 10:14:08 AM
Reply #75

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2010, 10:14:08 AM »
Reinforcements 2 (W)
Instant
Kicker 1 (W)
Put a 2/2 white human soldier creature token onto the battlefield.
If Reinforcements was kicked, put another 2/2 white human soldier creature token onto the battlefield.
C
Isn't this breaking the usual kicker rule? If a card does the same thing but better with kicked, it doesn't have coloured kicker cost (like Burst Lightning, Rite of Replication etc.) but if it does something fairly different, there's a colour (like Torchslinger, Kor Aeronaut).

Goblin Swarm (R)(R)
Sorcery
Replicate (R)(R)
Put 2 1/1 red goblin creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield.
R
I like it.

Duplicate 2 (U)
Instant
Put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of target creature. Exile it at the beggining of your next end step.
U
Yeah fine. Should you be able to target legendary creatures with that? Perhaps a bit good?

Recycle Flesh (B)
Instant
Sacrifice a creature to put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of it. You lose life equal to the sacrificed creature's power.
U
Why do you need to lose life? The power doesn't seem worth it to me. Sure I get to save one of my guys from dying and trigger some graveyard shennanigans, but combat damage doesn't use the stack any more so it's significantly less good. I guess combo players will probably play it, but that's about it.

Thranduil

February 08, 2010, 12:27:21 PM
Reply #76

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »
Recycle Flesh is intended to work that way for Limited play's sake. In Limited, you'd have an Uncommon (thus, appearing more often) copying your bomb that the defending player has FINALLY gotten around to dealing with, for a single mana! If combat damage still used the stack, it'd actually be a GROSS overkill. I don't know how well it'll play, might end up being a sucky card after all...
As for the kicker cost on Reinforcements, it's actually more correct this way, since I'm escalating the spell, not the effect. If the creature was made bigger, I'd be inclined to make kicker all colorless. However, you're in fact making a "copy" of the spell, or playing a second spell at a discount price, hence, the colored kicker.
Duplicate is not that powerful, it can nuke a legendary creature, make a mirror-blocker to TRY and nuke a regular creature, or give you a surprise attacker for a turn to try and seal the deal.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:32:23 PM by Felipe Musco »

February 09, 2010, 07:54:22 AM
Reply #77

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2010, 07:54:22 AM »
Recycle Flesh is intended to work that way for Limited play's sake. In Limited, you'd have an Uncommon (thus, appearing more often) copying your bomb that the defending player has FINALLY gotten around to dealing with, for a single mana! If combat damage still used the stack, it'd actually be a GROSS overkill. I don't know how well it'll play, might end up being a sucky card after all...
As for the kicker cost on Reinforcements, it's actually more correct this way, since I'm escalating the spell, not the effect. If the creature was made bigger, I'd be inclined to make kicker all colorless. However, you're in fact making a "copy" of the spell, or playing a second spell at a discount price, hence, the colored kicker.
Duplicate is not that powerful, it can nuke a legendary creature, make a mirror-blocker to TRY and nuke a regular creature, or give you a surprise attacker for a turn to try and seal the deal.

Maybe just change Duplicate to 1 (U) (U) or 3 (U) to make it more balanced, cus' for 2 (U) , you may pack this card in nearly each multi-colored deck that runs blue.

February 09, 2010, 09:04:33 AM
Reply #78

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2010, 09:04:33 AM »
So? It's a one-turn shot. For 1 more colorless mana, you get the effect PERMANENTLY  with Clone (except for legendary creatures, of course, they're still nuked), it's not unbalanced. It's a form of blue "removal", that's all.

February 09, 2010, 09:06:59 AM
Reply #79

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2010, 09:06:59 AM »
Pandemonium...
As I said, 1 (U) (U) would solve that.

February 10, 2010, 08:10:25 AM
Reply #80

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2010, 08:10:25 AM »
But then it would suck in Limited as a splash card, which is where it's actually useful (otherwise, Clone is infinitely better, and it's not very good). Also, I want to give blue a SPLASHABLE "removal", which, seriously, it desperatly needs. No one splashes blue in drafts! I'd like to change that, and this is a way to do so.

February 10, 2010, 10:00:24 AM
Reply #81

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »
Aaaaaand, it's spoiler time! Since the theme is monocolored decks, I've seriously thought about making a lot of cards with double-colored mana requirements. However, they would suck for limited play, maknig the set less fun, so untimately, I decided against it.
Then again, since there are no more golden cards in the set, it's difficult to make powerful spells for single-colored mana, which is why THOSE spells will have heavy color requirements (also depicting WHY mages will ally, making it easier on them casting more powerful spells with less severe mana requirements, provided you're allied).
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but since I DON'T have a picture, I suppose a spoiler and a word will have to show you what I meant... and the word is WATCHWOLF.

Goldenwood Elite (G)(G)
Creature - Elf Warrior
3/3
U

And here's another vanilla green fattie, although this one spreads the love a little, allowing splashing for trample.

Enraged Elephant [4](G)
Creature - Elephant
Trample
3/3
C

And a semi-reprint, for good measure.

Goldenwood Armor [2](G)
Enchantment - Aura
As an aditional cost to cast Goldenwood Armor, sacrifice a Forest.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each forest on the battlefield.
C

February 10, 2010, 05:37:46 PM
Reply #82

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
Goldenwood Elite (G)(G)
Creature - Elf Warrior
3/3
U
But this is straight better than Watchwolf. I quite liked the Nissa's Chosen take, ie. a 2/3 with some other minor ability. 3/3 for 2 in 1 colour might be pushing it a little too far.

Enraged Elephant [4](G)
Creature - Elephant
Trample
3/3
C
And isn't this straight worse than that beast from 2010? Stampeding Rhino is the one I mean, same mana cost for 4/4 trample. Not a big deal, just an observation that it could cost [3](G).

Goldenwood Armor [2](G)
Enchantment - Aura
As an aditional cost to cast Goldenwood Armor, sacrifice a Forest.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each forest on the battlefield.
C
And again a worse version of Blanchwood Armor, except subtly different because it counts your opponents' forests as well. Does that have a flavour justification?

February 11, 2010, 07:53:51 AM
Reply #83

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2010, 07:53:51 AM »
And in Worldwake, for a mana more you get Leatherback Baloth. Zoo gets Wild Nacatl at common. It's not strictly better than Watchwolf, it's Watchwolf for the monogreen mage, while not easy to splash, so you'd have to be in dedicated green to play it. Also, notice Watchwolf does not see play anymore, meaning this guy probably wouldn't as well in Extended, not in Limited unless you're in dedicated green, and not in Standard for the same reason, so you either play monogreen, or risk it. I think it's pretty balanced, and I think it balances with Nissa's Chosen quite well, what with it having another ability - resilience.
The second guy... yeah, you're right. I'm lowering the cost.
The third card was, indeed, designed this way for flavor reasons. First, the set's green flavor of sacrificing lands for power. Then, not to make yet another reprint. Last, but not least, to depict the harnessing of raw mana. In an aggro VS. aggro matchup, the guy with the bigger dude will usually win barring some removal or blocking shenanigans. What happens if the guy is SO big, it wins RIGHT NOW? It's a one-shot win condition on its own, this is the difference.

February 11, 2010, 09:41:58 AM
Reply #84

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
And in Worldwake, for a mana more you get Leatherback Baloth. Zoo gets Wild Nacatl at common. It's not strictly better than Watchwolf, it's Watchwolf for the monogreen mage, while not easy to splash, so you'd have to be in dedicated green to play it. Also, notice Watchwolf does not see play anymore, meaning this guy probably wouldn't as well in Extended, not in Limited unless you're in dedicated green, and not in Standard for the same reason, so you either play monogreen, or risk it. I think it's pretty balanced, and I think it balances with Nissa's Chosen quite well, what with it having another ability - resilience.
I understand that. My argument is that multicoloured costs are (nominally) harder to cast, and therefore have more raw power for their tempo. So 3/3 for (G)(G) just looks a bit strange compared to Watchwolf. Woolly Thoctar for example is 5/4 which, when compared to Leatherback Baloth's 4/5 is very significant. Also, I'm not sure people don't play Watchwolf because it's not good - why bother when you could play Tarmagoyf?

Thranduil

February 11, 2010, 10:31:10 AM
Reply #85

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
I have come to disagree about multicolored costs over the time. Makes it easier to splash the card, and ends up making your deck altogether stronger, since you proceed to add other effects that one color might not provide you with (like removal for green aggro decks, branching for white).

February 12, 2010, 11:59:06 AM
Reply #86

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »
But there's one point you miss, actually:
Playing a Mono-Colored deck means that you'll always have 2 green mana during second turn to play your Goldenwood Elite, but even if you have half-half multicolored decks, the chance to play Watchwolf isn't 100% at all, maybe just 70-80%.
So your card definitly would be overpowered (as Tarmablossom.. ahm.. Tarmagoyf is!) when you make it's mana cost (G)(G).

February 17, 2010, 08:13:31 AM
Reply #87

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2010, 08:13:31 AM »
I'm still a bit torn on this. I don't think it's overpowered at all, creatures have been bumped up for a long time now, to better compete with utility spells (so much that Lightning Bolt, thought of as never coming back, DID come back as a COMMON), so I still don't think this guy is overpowered, 2 power for 1 mana is rather common place (and we even have 3 power for 1 mana now, although jumping through some hoops), and easily played both in monocolored and multicolored builds, since it doesn't affect their playability at all. 4-5 power for 3 mana has ALSO become fairly common (at the top of my head I can name Wolly Thoctar, Leatherback Baloth and Doran, the Siege Tower, not taking mana issues into consideration, as most of the time for a well-built deck it WON'T be an issue). Due to these facts, I don't see 3 power for 2 mana as a stretch, at least not in this color. Boros Bushwacker is playing a landfall creature that, in aggro decks, will consistently be a 3/3 for 2 (if not more due to fetchland shenanigans) and is RED. Goblin Bushwacker itself counts as one of those as well, since it pumps the rest of the guys, covering the loss of 1 power on coming turns.
Bottom line is, I think playtesting will show how strong this guy might be, but I think you have the same point of view I had before I undesrtood the change in power level the game underwent, which drove me to design this. Also, keep in mind there's a TON of removal, ways to deal with this guy are endless! If my common burn was Shock, this guy WOULD be overpowered. When you have Lightning Bolt at that same spot, it's actually balanced in my head. I'll keep him for now, but he MAY prove to be too powerful. Time will tell. THanks for the feedback, though.

February 17, 2010, 09:33:44 AM
Reply #88

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2010, 09:33:44 AM »
Annnnd.... spoilers!

Now, this card had me on the ropes all the holiday (Brazilian Carnival, 4 and a half days of partying! Yay!), thinking and brainstorming on the cost, etc. I knew I wanted forms of mass removal, and I knew how each would play out, but I didn't want the "classic" mass removal spells to just be reprints, so I figured I'd try a hand at something new for Black instead of just reprinting Infest or Damnation, and this is the result:

Plague (B)(B)(B)
Instant
All creatures get -3/-3.
R

Now, let me explain why this. First of all, the rise in power level. Creatures are just tougher now, so I wanted something that dealt with X/3s and not just X/2s, thus not reprinting Infest. Then, for a single extra mana (and an easier casting cost when considering color requirements), you get Damnation. So, why would you want to make it harder to cast the spell? The asnwer I came up with was: to Wrath at instant speed. However, I'm open to suggestions on how to tackle this spell, so much that I'll not add it to the cardlist right now, as it might get removed entirely, depending on what people say about it.

February 17, 2010, 09:45:58 AM
Reply #89

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2010, 09:45:58 AM »
I like it a lot as a sorcery, but not nearly as much as an instant. I can't really think of another case of black instant mass removal. As a sorcery, I think it's a great example of how rewarding playing mono-black should be.

Thranduil