LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 103193 times)

February 22, 2010, 08:58:32 AM
Reply #105

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
I didn't say Incremental Blight was good, I said it was not awful. But in comparison, the deal you get with that sort of Plague just seems ridiculous. I like the idea you can recover from a plague, so I would still push for triple black sorcery -3/-3.

That's settled, then, Plague will be -3/-3 only. :(

Summon Flock [3](U)(U)
Tribal Instant - Bird
Put 2 2/2 blue bird creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
U
Yeah, I like it. Though it doesn't feel much like a flock, and to make it fit better with cards like Fable of Wolf and Owl and in the interest of making fewer tokens, making the card better, and avoiding the flavour issues of MAAAASSSSIVE birds, I suggest that it should make 4 1/1's.

That WAS the original design. However, it'd make Spectral Procession seem bad, and the card was already insane. I think I toned it down enough, it's still good, only limited-oriented. OTOH, blue is not an aggro-oriented color, so perhaps I COULD stretch things a little...

Spellbind (U)(U)
Instant
Kicker - Return a land you control to its owner's hand.
Counter target spell unless its controller pays [3]. If Spellbind was kicked, counter target spell unless its controller pays [5] instead.
C
Would it be possible to make the kicker get rid of the option of prevention? I quite like that, more than just making it cost more.

Again, my original design, I just thought it was too powerful, but perhaps it's not, I'll change it as I add in Plague's entry.

Avian Scout (U)
Creature - Bird Soldier.
Flying, vigilance.
1/1
C
Blue doesn't normally get vigilance at common. Does he need it? I don't see anything wrong with a soldier tribe Zephyr Sprite.

Yes, this might seem powerful, but I think it's alright at 1/1 only, even if it CAN grow (after all, any creature can, and it's not a relevant creature like Faerie, it's a lesser one). The card is supposed to be color-bleeding.

Second-rank Vanguard (W)
Creature - Human Soldier
Pay 1 life: Switch Second-rank Vanguard's power and toughness until the end of turn.
1/2
C
Very interesting, though more of a blue card isn't it?

It is, color-bleeding again (in return for the vigilant bird).

Seasoned Commander [2](W)(W)
Creature - Human Soldier
Vigilance.
Other soldier creatures you control get +1/+1.
(T): Regenerate target soldier.
3/3
R
Couple of things. Firstly, my sense of style in this card is hurt by the fact that the card has vigilance but he doesn't give vigilance to others (cf. Captain of the Watch, Rhox Pikemaster, Veteran Swordsmith and Veteran Armorsmith). Secondly, regenerate does not often appear on (W) creatures, but I like it. Perhaps it could cost a bit of mana, like (W)?

Well, he IS the Commander, it makes sense HE is the one watching over everyone else, thus having Vigilance. And he's fought a lot of battles, thus boosting everyone and even saving a hurt soldier that happens to be near him. I think I'll cost the regeneration at (W), though.

February 22, 2010, 10:51:02 AM
Reply #106

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »
Well, it's a little late, but I was very busy the last couple ofdays, so here comes finally my feedback on the new cards:

Icy Manipulator [4]
Artifact
[1], (T): Tap target permanent.
U

Reprint. I like it.

Summon Flock [3](U)(U)
Tribal Instant - Bird
Put 2 2/2 blue bird creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
U

As Thranduil said, something like more smaller tokens would be much cooler and would also fit into the "swarming soldiers" strategy, so i'd suggest, as 4 1/1 flying tokens seem too broken for me (remember, it's an instant and an Uncommon!), changing this card into putting 3 1/1 blue (and maybe also white) flying bird soldier tokens.

Spellbind (U)(U)
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays [3]. If Spellbind was kicked, counter target spell unless its controller pays [5] instead.
C

To hard to play, just remember 2 cards: Counterspelland Daze. this one's something in Between, but much more worse that the other. Maybe you should just sticj with a modified version of Daze, or you make it like that:

Spellbind (U)(U) (modified version)
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays [3]. If Spellbind was kicked, Spellbind's mana cost is reduced by (U).
C

Avian Aggressor [2](U)
Creature - Bird Soldier
Flying.
2/1
C

Just make it a 2/2, and you'll be fine.

Avian Scout (U)
Creature - Bird Soldier.
Flying, vigilance.
1/1
C

As said before, vigilance seems too much for this card. I'd suppose to either cut vigilance or to cut vigilance and make it (W)/ (U) hybrid (if you like).

Elite Vanguard (W)
Creature - Human Soldier
2/1
U

*Sigh* MtG is just too broken at the moment...
Leave it like that. I'll have to accept that youlove broken cards.

Second-rank Vanguard (W)
Creature - Human Soldier
Pay 1 life: Switch Second-rank Vanguard's power and toughness until the end of turn.
1/2
C

I like it, maybe just change it to Blue or (U)/ (W) Hybrid (if you like).

Seasoned Commander [2](W)(W)
Creature - Human Soldier
Vigilance.
Other soldier creatures you control get +1/+1.
(T): Regenerate target soldier.
3/3
R

So, this one should be changed very much, and I got a couple of suggestions:

Seasoned Commander [2](W)(W) (Alpha version)
Creature - Human Soldier
Vigilance.
Other soldier creatures you control get +1/+1 and Vigilance.
(W): Regenerate target soldier.
2/2
R

Seasoned Commander [2](W)(W)(W) (Beta version)
Creature - Human Soldier
Vigilance.
Other soldier creatures you control get +1/+1 and Vigilance.
Each soldier has: (T): Regenerate target soldier.
3/3
R

February 22, 2010, 12:02:36 PM
Reply #107

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
I like the idea of summon flock. I'll chage it to put bird soldier tokens, and put 3 of them! ALso, I'll change aggressor. For the Hybrids, I'm already full at the multicolored section, and also, the idea that those cards belong in another color or color combination actually fit in well with the theme, which is color bleeding.

February 24, 2010, 10:39:22 AM
Reply #108

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
So, black has no cards from its other proeminent Tribe, and red has not only no physical representatives of its tribe, but less than 5 cards spoiled so far, so I think it's time for a little (R)(R)(R)(B) love.

Decaying Corpse (B)(B)
Creature - Zombie Rogue
Shadow.
2/1
C

Goblin Gnawer [1](R)
Creature - Goblin Rogue
Haste.
When Goblin Gnawer enters the battlefield, you may have it deal 1 damage to target creature.
1/1
C

Goblin Reinforcements [2](R)
Tribal Sorcery - Goblin
Put a 1/1 red goblin creature token with haste onto the battlefield. If a goblin was put in a graveyard this turn, put 2 more red goblin creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield.
C

Goblin Torch [1](R)
Tribal Instant - Goblin
Goblin Torch deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you control a Goblin, you may add (R) to your mana pool.
U

And an almost-reprint:

Siege-Gang Leader [2](R)(R)
Creature - Goblin Warrior
When Siege-Gang Leader enters the battlefield, put 2 1/1 red goblin creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield.
(R), sacrifice a goblin: Siege-Gang Leader deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
2/2
R

February 24, 2010, 10:54:10 AM
Reply #109

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2010, 10:54:10 AM »
So, black has no cards from its other proeminent Tribe, and red has not only no physical representatives of its tribe, but less than 5 cards spoiled so far, so I think it's time for a little (R)(R)(R)(B) love.

Decaying Corpse (B)(B)
Creature - Zombie Rogue
Shadow.
2/1
C

OK, I like it.

Goblin Gnawer [1](R)
Creature - Goblin Rogue
Haste.
When Goblin Gnawer enters the battlefield, you may have it deal 1 damage to target creature.
1/1
C

I'm not sure about this, there was a Common from Ravnica that did nearly the same thing, just without haste but also being able to target a player. Maybe change it to "deals 1 damage", so it's useless against opponents without creatures.

Tribal Sorcery - Goblin
Put a 1/1 red goblin creature token with haste onto the battlefield. If a goblin was put in a graveyard this turn, put 2 more red goblin creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield.
C

"(...)put two more red 1/1 goblin token(...)"
Change it to Uncommon and also maybe to  [1] (R) (R), could be too overpowered with Siege-Gang Commander!

Goblin Torch [1](R)
Tribal Instant - Goblin
Goblin Torch deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you control a Goblin, you may add (R) to your mana pool.
U

I love this one! Very flavorfull!

And an almost-reprint:

When Siege-Gang Leader enters the battlefield, put 2 1/1 red goblin creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield.
(R), sacrifice a goblin: Siege-Gang Leader deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
2/2
R

Well... I don't know...This one should be playtested... the sacrificing ability is quiet useless but 2 1/1 with haste and 1 2/2 for 4 mana seems like pretty strong to me.

February 24, 2010, 12:02:35 PM
Reply #110

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2010, 12:02:35 PM »
Sparkmage Apprentice was of an irrelevant creature type and in a block full of fatties, while Goblin Gnawer is a Goblin (very relevant) and a Rogue (somewhat relevant) in a Block with a lot of X/1s. The fact it also has haste would make it very playable in Limited, specially since it enables cards like Goblin Torch and others. The targetting is optional to demand more from the players, both not forgetting to put the trigger on the stack, and not forgetting in the fist place it's an OPTIONAL trigger, so it does not nuke itself it it's the fisrt creature down. It's also not irrelevant against players without creatures, it'll still hit for one before they drop a bear. Other than that, it's a limited-oriented "vanilla" card, which is fine for Common.
Reinforcements does not really need to be uncommon, I mean, it's a pretty big investment, 4 mana for 3 creatures (and that is assuming you sac a Goblin), specially considering it requires a rare. The more common "combo" would be Goblin Torch with it, which is 3 creatures for 5 mana, WITHOUT enabling the mana-adding ability of Torch. I think it may be fine.
The Siege-Gang Leader IS a long shot (specially imagining you CAN follow him up with Siege-Gang Commander, which COULD be insane, but that's what I'm going for, a true LotR style Goblin Swarms strategy), but I think he's fine to make it into playtesting (specially since combat damage does not use the stack anymore).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:21:44 PM by Felipe Musco »

February 24, 2010, 12:17:21 PM
Reply #111

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
As for Goblin Reinforcements, it seems to cost just 3 mana so change it into  [1](R)(R) and you'll be fine.

The thing with Siege-Gang Commander is what I thought, but imagine that:
1st turn: any 1/1 Goblin
2nd trun: Mogg War marshal, Creating some tokens. (swing for 1, 1 damage total)
3rd turn: Goblin King! (yes, I really love this guy in Goblin token Decks, even thought he's not a Goblin!) (does not pay the echo, swing for 4, 5 damage total)
4th turn: Siege-Gang Leader, attack with 6 2/2s! (12 damage, 17 damage total)
5th turn: Siege-gang Commander or Kiki-Jiki, Mirrorbreaker! (15 damage with the Siege-Gang play, 19 damage with Kiki-Jiki-into-Siege-Gang-Leader, 32-36 damage total)

Really awesome, uh?

Maybe this situation described up there is very utopic, but it just want to say that this guy you created perfectly fills the hole of 4 mana in the Goblin strategy, making it a very nice setup, cus' I'd definitely prefer Siege-Gang Leader other than Goblin Ringleader.

aynway, very nice card! I wish it could become real.... ;)

February 24, 2010, 12:26:23 PM
Reply #112

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
See what you mean about the mana cost, I'll change it. Also, [1](R)(R) IS an iconic casting cost for red spells, and GOBLIN spells, so I think it'll still be nice. As for Leader, yeah, it seems strong, but Goblins ARE strong. I'm not sure it'd be played over Ringleader, they fill different roles, Ringleader gives you more outs (as finding a Piledriver and/or Goblin Matron, instead of getting random tokens, is quite more powerful), but I think it'd be a nice addition, and definitely standard-playable.

PS: And I think a little haste IS in order, I even considered hastening the Leader himself, after all, with the advent of the new combat rules, Siege-Gang Commander was neutered pretty hard (and Mogg Fanatic, while we're at that) .
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:34:09 PM by Felipe Musco »

February 24, 2010, 12:39:41 PM
Reply #113

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »
See what you mean about the mana cost, I'll change it. Also, [1](R)(R) IS an iconic casting cost for red spells, and GOBLIN spells, so I think it'll still be nice. As for Leader, yeah, it seems strong, but Goblins ARE strong. I'm not sure it'd be played over Ringleader, they fill different roles, Ringleader gives you more outs (as finding a Piledriver and/or Goblin Matron, instead of getting random tokens, is quite more powerful), but I think it'd be a nice addition, and definitely standard-playable.

PS: And I think a little haste IS in order, I even considered hastening the Leader himself, after all, with the advent of the new combat rules, Siege-Gang Commander was neutered pretty hard (and Mogg Fanatic, while we're at that) .

I think you're right about Haste, I mean,take a look at Warren Investigator...  :o :o :o :o :o :o.

And just to have said it, I play 4 Mogg Fanatics in my Goblin Deck and I really like playing him!

Btw, did you already ake another look at my cards?  ;)

February 24, 2010, 12:47:42 PM
Reply #114

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2010, 12:47:42 PM »
I didn't, but I'll tell you why: I just moved in together with my fianceé, so our apartment is still a mess, I didn't have time to even TRY to organize my cards yet, so I can check what I need for MtG and if nothing got lost during moving in LotR TCG and MtG both. Really sorry, but I am setting our place up, so it will take me some time. But since you are a MtG player, to make it easier, any high end card is good for me, like Umezawa's Jitte, Sol Ring, Thoughtseize, Extirpate, Meddling Mage, Hymn to Tourach, Swords to Plowshares, any fetchland (I'm in DIRE need for these, btw, I have ZERO), dual lands, shocklands, Standstill, Daze, Force of Will, Engineered Explosives, etc, etc, etc. Those kind of cards I can pass along easily if I can't find a use for them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:51:39 PM by Felipe Musco »

February 24, 2010, 12:51:46 PM
Reply #115

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »
I didn't, but I'll tell you why: I just moved in together with my fianceé, so our apartment is still a mess, I didn't have time to even TRY to organize my cards yet, so I can check what I need for MtG and if nothing got lost during moving in LotR TCG and MtG both. Really sorry, but I am setting our place up, so it will take me some time. But since you are a MtG player, to make it easier, any high end card is good for me, like Umezawa's Jitte, Sol Ring, Thoughtseize, Extirpate, Meddling Mage, Hymn to Tourach, Swords to Plowshares, any fetchland, dual lands, etc, etc, etc. Those kind of cards I can pass along easily if I can't find a use for them.

I understand that. Women and TCGs are very hard to accomplish... ;)

Anyway, my holidays will finish this week, so when the trade could be finished in, let's say, a week, that wold be ok.

Oh and btw, I don't have any Fetchlands, either...

February 24, 2010, 04:17:57 PM
Reply #116

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
Decaying Corpse (B)(B)
Creature - Zombie Rogue
Shadow.
2/1
C
I'm dubious about the flavour of just a corpse having shadow. Maybe some sort of ethereal corpse.

Goblin Gnawer [1](R)
Creature - Goblin Rogue
Haste.
1/1
C
I wonder if a mandatory trigger might be better (like Blister Beetle) to keep it a little in check.

Tribal Sorcery - Goblin
C
I like the card and I like the new mana cost. "If a Goblin you control..." surely?

Goblin Torch [1](R)
Tribal Instant - Goblin
U
Hilarious! Better than Tarfire. Perhaps it should just be Shock? (Yes I know Lightning Bolt, but this IS a Goblin). Or I quite like Shock and adding (R)(R) when you sac a Goblin.

2/2
R
I like pretty much everything about the card. Though I think I'd like him to have haste, and it's not so ridiculous - the difference between 2 damage/Goblin and 1 damage/Goblin is significant.

Thranduil

February 25, 2010, 08:40:12 AM
Reply #117

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »
I'm dubious about the flavour of just a corpse having shadow. Maybe some sort of ethereal corpse.

Actually is a rogue having shadow. The corpse is just to tie it in in a black tribe - zombies.

I wonder if a mandatory trigger might be better (like Blister Beetle) to keep it a little in check.

It WOULD befit Goblins, having the little green fella nuke itself if it's stupid enough, but in order to have that risk, I'd probably make him a 2/1, which would in turn make the card better than I wanted it to be - it's supposed to be a meta-most card. I don't know, what do you guys think? 2/1 that might nuke itself, or 1/1 that won't do that unless YOU are stupid when playing it?

I like the card and I like the new mana cost. "If a Goblin you control..." surely?

Nope, not really. I figured Goblin Torch would be heavily played in Limited, so if THEY nuke one of your guys pre or mid-combat, you get 3 goblins as a reward. And if YOU can spare the mana, Goblin Torch will trigger it from YOUR side, as well. I wanted to enable it without needing permanents popped.

Hilarious! Better than Tarfire. Perhaps it should just be Shock? (Yes I know Lightning Bolt, but this IS a Goblin). Or I quite like Shock and adding (R)(R) when you sac a Goblin.

I balanced it off as a worse Incinerate. It's more than fine this way, there are enough X/3's in the set a shock effect would end up being suboptimal.

I like pretty much everything about the card. Though I think I'd like him to have haste, and it's not so ridiculous - the difference between 2 damage/Goblin and 1 damage/Goblin is significant.

I think haste would make it too op. 4 mana for 4 damage, spread out and right away? What red deck WOULDN'T play it? I like to give the defending player a chance to react.

February 25, 2010, 09:12:27 AM
Reply #118

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »
So, while I wait for final feedback on Gnawer, let me shell out some more (R) goodies:

Fervorous Goblin (R)
Creature - Goblin Shaman
You may sacrifice Goblin Shaman any time you could play an instant.
When Fervorous Goblin is put in the graveyard from the battlefield, you may have it deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
1/1
U

New combat rules, meet Mogg Fanatic! :twisted:

Sparkling Elemental (R)
Creature - Elemental Rogue
At the start of your upkeep, exile Sparkling Elemental.
Pay 3 life: Sparkling Elemental gains haste until the end of the turn.
3/3
C

Flaming Fencer [3](R)
Creature - Elemental Warrior
First strike.
3/1
C

Sparkling [3](R)(R)
Creature - Elemental Warrior
(R): Change the target of target spell with a single target.
(R): Target creature gains haste untill the end of the turn.
[1], put a -1/-1 counter on Sparkling: Sparkling deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
[1]: Remove a -1/-1 counter from Sparkling.
R

Flame Knight (R)(R)
Creature - Elemental Knight
First strike, protection from white.
2/2
U

Nothing new here, just Blood Knight in a relevant tribe, I know. Still, I wanted to make this card for design issues.

March 01, 2010, 08:49:02 AM
Reply #119

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »
OMG you plan on letting my DC Set die?!?