LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Ferny Frost Attack  (Read 29762 times)

May 08, 2010, 04:10:26 AM
Reply #15

Marcoliboar

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
Re: Ferny Frost Attack
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 04:10:26 AM »
ehehe

1 000 000 XD

May 08, 2010, 04:35:11 AM
Reply #16

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:11 AM »
Yes. Summerz is a jerk. I would advise everyone not to waste your time playing against him.

May 08, 2010, 04:44:43 AM
Reply #17

Smeagollum

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:43 AM »
I like the deck. But not sure if you need the goblin runners. I'rather have some uruks and imo there need to be at least one tower assasin in it as well. Ans also maybe one saruman's power to dis a There and back again, A promise and or O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!

May 08, 2010, 09:14:51 AM
Reply #18

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 09:14:51 AM »
I like the deck. But not sure if you need the goblin runners. I'rather have some uruks and imo there need to be at least one tower assasin in it as well. Ans also maybe one saruman's power to dis a There and back again, A promise and or O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
I encourage you to post a full version of what you would use.

I've find out that with this deck, it's pretty hard to win unless you play vs a beginner.

May 08, 2010, 09:36:49 AM
Reply #19

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »
Why would you not use the Palantir of Orthanc in a deck like this to get rid of your opponent's hand?

May 08, 2010, 09:59:11 AM
Reply #20

Smeagollum

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
Why would you not use the Palantir of Orthanc in a deck like this to get rid of your opponent's hand?

Oh yeah  :P

May 08, 2010, 10:45:48 AM
Reply #21

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »
It's an interesting solution. However the number of twilight available might be a problem.

May 08, 2010, 12:21:20 PM
Reply #22

Smeagollum

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
with 10 twilight you play:
Ferny
Uruk hai
Parry (if needed)
Sarumans snows
sarumans frost
So on site 5, 7, 8 and 9 you should try to do the kill. At that moment there should be enough twilight to use palantir. It might even work better if you can discard cards from hand with your fellowship: The White Arrows of Lorien
That might work I think.

May 08, 2010, 12:37:39 PM
Reply #23

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »
Ferny
Uruk hai
Parry (if needed)
Sarumans snows
sarumans frost
So on site 5, 7, 8 and 9 you should try to do the kill. At that moment there should be enough twilight to use palantir. It might even work better if you can discard cards from hand with your fellowship: The White Arrows of Lorien
That might work I think.
It doesn't work at site 5 because Ferny gets discarded at underground sites. You also forget the archery fires which necessitate Spies of Saruman at 2 and another exertion.

May 08, 2010, 08:03:48 PM
Reply #24

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 08:03:48 PM »
Ferny
Uruk hai
Parry (if needed)
Sarumans snows
sarumans frost
That might work I think.
It doesn't work at site 5 because Ferny gets discarded at underground sites. You also forget the archery fires which necessitate Spies of Saruman at 2 and another exertion.

If you don't need to use Parry then you drop an Isengard Shaman and Isengard Warrior instead to negate archery special abilities.

May 08, 2010, 08:12:16 PM
Reply #25

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 08:12:16 PM »
There are two main strategies I employ in my FOTR Block decks if I know I'm facing Ferny/Frost:

1) Run as fast as I can. I refuse to give my opponent time to set up his combo when I know his minions post little threat to me individually.

2) Sam. Sam. Sam. My main FOTR block deck starts Sam -- the bane of Ferny/Frost decks. I usually kill him off around Site 4-5 normally but against this deck I never kill him off. Ever. Not only does your opponent have to set up his combo quickly (because you are obviously double moving every time) but now he has to flawlessly execute it not once, but twice in order to win.

Most players who have advanced past the beginner level employ these (or similar) strategies when facing this deck type, which is why you don't see many Ferny/Frost decks win consistently. It's just to easy to recognize.

May 08, 2010, 10:09:00 PM
Reply #26

Smeagollum

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Ferny
Uruk hai
Parry (if needed)
Sarumans snows
sarumans frost
That might work I think.

You're right forgot the underground. Spies of Saruman is only needed if your opponent plays on archery. To me you can go 2 ways take out the parry's, because for that you need to spot an Uruk Hai and you've got just 4 and play more on isengard orcs (you then probably might want to do something with possesion discarding). Or take out the orcs and add more cheap Uruk Hai like Uruk Raider and Uruk Spy and add to that a more expensive Uruk Hai (Uruk Troop) for a minion with a lot of vitality; now you need to spent about 7 twilight on minions to get all those cool things work... A troop is cheaper; you can exert him 3x for al those tricks you want to do.
I would take out the parry I think.

Maybe something like this:

3x Saruman's Frost (1U135)
3x Saruman's Snows (1C138)
4x *Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow (2R75)
2x The Palantir of Orthanc (3R67)
4x Isengard Shaman (3C59)
3x Goblin Man (2C42) or Isengard Forger (3C56)
4x Isengard Smith (3U60)
4x Isengard Warrior (3U61)
4x Isengard Worker (3C62)
1x Orc Commander (3R64)
2x Saruman's Power (1U136)
1x Tower Assassin (2R93)

I've expanded it to 35 cards. Not sure if I would use the Goblin man (looking in somebodies hand might be good) or the forger (for an optional extra twilight). Maybe I would take out a smith, a warior and a shaman  to have both the forger and the goblin man in it. Goblin Man will make sure that you know if your opponent has a secret sentinels or something like that in hand.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:56:21 AM by Smeagollum »

May 09, 2010, 09:48:34 AM
Reply #27

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »
Goblin Man is a good idea. However, Parry is a key card. I'm not sure that your Isengard Smith will work, unless you have Saruman, SotE.

If you have Goblin Man, you could remove The Palantir of Orthanc. Look at the opponent's hand... if there is an annoying card, wait before playing the Bill Ferny Bomb and get rid of it using The White Arrows of Lorien. Actually, when I think about it, I'm not even sure that Goblin Man is necessary if you have Sting or Glamdring.

May 09, 2010, 01:07:01 PM
Reply #28

Smeagollum

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »
Should work if opponent has no skirmish abilities and with Ferny also out. It will mean that you will certainly win a skirmish. Then discard all the possesions and on the next turn finnish it with about the same trick.
But understand what you mean by parry, but doing all those tricks makes it complicate. But this is just how I would do it.
You could take out the smiths and put in some Uruks (Spy in my opinion) and take something out for 2 parry's (more would be to much imo.

Sting or Glamdring only sees what your opponent has in your fellowship phase. Your opponent cycle's in your turn, so sting or glamdring are just good additions, but no safeguard. White arrows is usefull, because you will empty opponents deck and then you can do the fernybomb on site 9.

May 09, 2010, 02:06:54 PM
Reply #29

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
There are two main strategies I employ in my FOTR Block decks if I know I'm facing Ferny/Frost:

1) Run as fast as I can. I refuse to give my opponent time to set up his combo when I know his minions post little threat to me individually.

2) Sam. Sam. Sam. My main FOTR block deck starts Sam -- the bane of Ferny/Frost decks. I usually kill him off around Site 4-5 normally but against this deck I never kill him off. Ever. Not only does your opponent have to set up his combo quickly (because you are obviously double moving every time) but now he has to flawlessly execute it not once, but twice in order to win.

Most players who have advanced past the beginner level employ these (or similar) strategies when facing this deck type, which is why you don't see many Ferny/Frost decks win consistently. It's just to easy to recognize.

Could you bluff? Pretend you have a Ferny Frost deck by stocking a few cards and playing them early, get your opponent to run - then hit them with the real stuff. I guess Sting and Glamdring once in play really prevent this - but i like the idea of a good bluff in cards.