LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (DISCONTINUED)  (Read 56737 times)

June 25, 2010, 05:17:10 AM
Reply #90

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (Elven and Dwarven conditions)
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2010, 05:17:10 AM »
[1] Forests of Mirkwood [Elven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves, you may spot 3 [Elven] allies to exhaust a minion.
I really don't think this card is needed in FotR block.

(0) •Aragorn's Cloak [Gondor]
Possession • Cloak
Bearer must be Aragorn.
Maneuver: Exert Aragorn to discard a search condition.
Good stuff.

[1] Clear Night [Wraith]
Condition
Weather.
To play, exert a Nazgul. Plays on a site.
At this site, skirmishes are resolved in an order decided by the Shadow player.
Discard this condition at the end of the turn.
:o Do you know how insane that ability is? I mean it's really cool, but... :o Needs a higher cost I think. Do you remember one of the cards I made for one of my sets? Union of the Two Towers, which was an event that did exactly this. It had toil 2, but it cost [1][2]! Then playtesting revealed it was too good, and now it costs [1][8]! Shadow players dictating the order of skirmishes KILLS fellowships.

[4] Bree Thugs [Isengard]
Minion • Man
Strength: 9
Vitality: 2
Site Number: 2
While you can spot another [Isengard] minion, the Ring-bearer's resistance is -1.
I'm not sure about this ability on a non-unique minion. Also, I'd consider something like "While the Ring-bearer bears an [Isengard] condition..."

[2] Camouflage [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Each cloak possession gains stealth.
Response: Discard a stealth card from play to cancel a minion's special ability.
I don't think it should add keywords to your cloaks. That's a bit weird. How about a card like this:

[2]Camouflage [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Each companion bearing a cloak gains stealth.
Response: If a minion uses a special ability, discard your cloak from play to cancel that ability.

[1] Unexplored Cavern [Moria]
Condition • Support Area
Search.
Shadow: Discard this condition to play a minion stacked here as if played from hand.
Regroup: Stack Gollum or a [Moria] Orc here.
I'm not sure this works as cards stacked on a condition are discarded with the condition. You would probably have to invert the order: "Spot your minion to play a minion stacked here as if from hand. Discard this condition."

Thranduil

June 25, 2010, 03:57:39 PM
Reply #91

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (Cloaks? WTF!)
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2010, 03:57:39 PM »
Is Clear Night very that much insane? Can you give me any example where it is really powerful?

I like your idea about Camouflage. However, giving 'stealth' to companions isn't doing anything so far. Perhaps that the first line shouldn't even be there afterall.

I don't like Unexplored Cavern afterall. I've had another idea for a [Moria] Card to make.

[2] •Need a Name [Moria]
Condition • Support Area
Search.
At the start of each maneuver phase, if you can spot more [Moria] Orcs than companions, add a burden.
At the end of each of your Shadow phases, exert a [Moria] Orc or discard this condition.

July 05, 2010, 05:41:37 PM
Reply #92

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Here is an idea I've had... keep in mind that this is the new Gandalf that would be in this set.

[4] •Gandalf, The Grey Wanderer [Gandalf]
Companion  • Wizard
Strenght: 7
Vitality: 4
Signet: Gandalf
You can mulligan more than once. Each time you decide to mulligan, draw one less card.

[2] Silent Reflections [Gandalf]
Event
Search. Spell.
Spot Gandalf and discard this card from your starting hand to remove 3 burdens.
Fellowship: Spot Gandalf to remove a burden.

(0) Interrogation [Gandalf]
Event
Search.
Spot Gandalf and discard this card from your starting hand to add [2] to the number of twilight tokens you can use for your starting fellowship. Play any number of companions from your draw deck or hand to use these twilight tokens.
Maneuver: Spot Gandalf to add [2].

[1] Knowledge Over the Enemy [Gandalf]
Event
Spot Gandalf and discard this card from your starting hand to prevent an opponent from playing cards his next phase. [edit: next phase being his Fellowship phase if he starts or his shadow phase if you start]
Fellowship: Spot Gandalf to prevent an opponent from playing cards from his discard pile during his next shadow phase.

The idea here is to have a strong ability at the start of the game and a weaker ability for the rest of the game. The rules are a bit unclear about 'mulligan'... but here is how this would work:

Draw 8 cards.
Choose if you want to keep it (ortherwise, mulligan).
Play any of the cards mentionned over there.
Begin the first fellowship phase.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited Camouflage, what do you think?

[1] Camouflage [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a cloak.
Response: If a minion uses a special ability, discard your cloak or stealth card from play to cancel that ability.

Updated burdening [Moria] condition. All [Moria] search card requires an exertion.

[2] •Danger of the Unexplored [Moria]
Condition • Support Area
Search.
To play, exert a [Moria] minion.
At the end of each of your shadow phases, if you can spot more [Moria] minions than companions, add a burden.

Here are new Nazgul minions, forget about the previous ones. Why did I pick these ones? All Nazguls except the WK, Cantea and Lemenya have 4 versions in movie block. Cantea only had 3, so it needed one more. There are 5 versions of Lemenya, so a 6th one is alright I guess if I don't want to unbalanced things. There are already two WK in FOTR block, so I won't make a third one.

These are Tracking Nazguls. They do not reduce roaming penalty as it would be useless since their homesite is 2 or 3. I decided to not make them fierce but I reduced their S/N to 2 instead. They could be played at Tol Brandir and their keyword will give them other benefits.

[5] •Úlairë Cantëa, Rider in Black [Wraith]
Minion • Nazgul
Strength: 10
Vitality: 3
Tracker.
When you play Úlairë Cantëa, if the current site's shadow number is 3 or less, discard a Free Peoples possession; if it is 6 or less, make the Free Peoples player discard a Free Peoples possession.

[4] •Úlairë Lemenya, Rider in Black [Wraith]
Minion • Nazgul
Tracker.
Stealth cards cannot be played by the Free Peoples player.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:53:56 PM by Cw0rk »

July 06, 2010, 12:07:42 AM
Reply #93

gk1964

• Information Offline
  • Orc
As part of the playtesting group Thranduil was referring to in his comments oon Clear Night, this is ability is a fellowship killer.

The Rohan meta that works off Frodo being assigned is dismantled if the Shadow player does his skirmish first.
FP metas that make big use of Stern Words can also see this completely shut down and much blood as a result.
Hobbit & Gondor strategies that rely on token manipulation during skirmish ala Sudden Fury or Thorne of Minas Tirith similarly go the same way.

I don't think that anybody realises how insane this ability is until you face it. Try it when you are playing a match. Let your opponent decide the skirmish order after you move to site 6 in dire need of healing. It can be a sobering experience.

gk

July 06, 2010, 03:54:57 PM
Reply #94

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
As part of the playtesting group Thranduil was referring to in his comments oon Clear Night, this is ability is a fellowship killer.

The Rohan meta that works off Frodo being assigned is dismantled if the Shadow player does his skirmish first.
FP metas that make big use of Stern Words can also see this completely shut down and much blood as a result.
Hobbit & Gondor strategies that rely on token manipulation during skirmish ala Sudden Fury or Thorne of Minas Tirith similarly go the same way.

I don't think that anybody realises how insane this ability is until you face it. Try it when you are playing a match. Let your opponent decide the skirmish order after you move to site 6 in dire need of healing. It can be a sobering experience.

gk

I wonder if that ability would be that good in FOTR or Movie Block. Otherwise, this card would only be playable if you played Expanded or Open and I guess that there are much overpowered stuff you could use before it.

July 06, 2010, 11:19:54 PM
Reply #95

gk1964

• Information Offline
  • Orc
You are probably right Cw0rk.

Given that most of the games we play in our group are Standard or Open it really is an insane ability. At least Thranduil's card requires 18 to play, even if it does have toil 2 on it.

Maybe you should add some FP counter to it like adding 2 burdens to prevent it.

gk

July 06, 2010, 11:40:10 PM
Reply #96

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Well gk, if this set ends up being completed (which about 80%+ are not), I guess I'll have to playtest it like the rest. Keep in mind that these are not final cards, I may change them.

Anyway, thanx for your comment.

July 08, 2010, 02:13:38 PM
Reply #97

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
I've edited the first topic and added all the card I have made so far. There are some of them that I really like, others that I like less.

Right now is probably the hardest part of making a DC set, I have about 30 events/conditions to make and a lack of inspiration, especially for card names. Help me plz! :P

July 12, 2010, 02:24:43 AM
Reply #98

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
(0) Interrogation [Gandalf]
Event
Search.
Spot Gandalf and discard this card from your starting hand to add [2] to the number of twilight tokens you can use for your starting fellowship. Play any number of companions from your draw deck or hand to use these twilight tokens.
Maneuver: Spot Gandalf to add [2].
I'm not sure about this one. You could have 4 copies of this in your hand... And I think it's too complicated. Now I've often thought of the text on a Ring-bearer (or One Ring) of: "The maximum twilight cost of your starting fellowship is +1", but I don't think in this case it works. How about to make someone discard a card? Or to make each site's Shadow number -2 until the regroup phase?

[1] Knowledge Over the Enemy [Gandalf]
Event
Spot Gandalf and discard this card from your starting hand to prevent an opponent from playing cards his next phase. [edit: next phase being his Fellowship phase if he starts or his shadow phase if you start]
Fellowship: Spot Gandalf to prevent an opponent from playing cards from his discard pile during his next shadow phase.
Stopping people playing stuff is not fun.

[1] Camouflage [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a cloak.
Response: If a minion uses a special ability, discard your cloak or stealth card from play to cancel that ability.
This is fine.

[5] •Úlairë Cantëa, Rider in Black [Wraith]
Minion • Nazgul
Vitality: 3
Tracker.
When you play Úlairë Cantëa, if the current site's shadow number is 3 or less, discard a Free Peoples possession; if it is 6 or less, make the Free Peoples player discard a Free Peoples possession.
I don't think you should have both abilities – I'd stick probably with the 2nd one. But really nice idea. Similar to the sorts of things I plan to do in Roads (when I have the time... :roll: )

Minion • Nazgul
Tracker.
Stealth cards cannot be played by the Free Peoples player.
Again, stopping other people play cards is not fun. How about "When you play ~, you may discard a Free Peoples stealth card from play."?

Thranduil

July 15, 2010, 11:25:52 PM
Reply #99

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (See first post for up-to-date cardlist)
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2010, 11:25:52 PM »
I agree with your comments on the two Gandalf cards. I knew when I made them that they were 'funky', I wasn't sure if they were playable.

For Cantea, I'd really want him to be nastier if the site number is lower vs annoying FOTR block choke decks. That Cantea isn't fierce, so it kinda deserve to have a better text. Keeping the last line makes him annoying vs any deck, but the first line makes him stronger vs choke.

You're right about the fact that stopping people from playing cards is not fun...  I guess I can find another way to make him a stealth-hater, discarding a stealth card from play is too weak.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:42:37 PM by Cw0rk »

July 18, 2010, 06:35:38 PM
Reply #100

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »
[2] His Knowledge is his Strength [Gandalf]
Event • Skirmish
Make Gandalf strength +1 for each card in your hand.

[2] Tracks like those of a Hobbit [Shire]
Condition • Support Area
Search.
Skirmish: Discard a [Shire] stealth card from hand to make a companion with the Frodo signet strength +2.

[2] Sméagol's Song [Gollum] FP
Event • Maneuver
Tale.
Make Sméagol strength -X until the regroup phase to make Aragorn or Gandalf strength +X until the regroup phase.

(perhaps it should be the opposite)

Random modifications...

Minion • Nazgul
Tracker.
Each time the Free Peoples player plays a stealth card, add a burden or play a [Wraith] search card from your discard pile.

[4] Bree Thugs [Isengard]
Minion • Man
While you can spot an [Isengard] condition, the Ring-bearer's resistance is -1.

[2] Bree Ruffian [Isengard]
Minion • Man
Strength: 6
While you can spot an [Isengard] Orc or an Uruk-Hai, the Ring-bearer's resistance is -1.

[5] •Goblok, Orc Chief [Sauron]
Minion • Orc
Site Number: 6
Damage +1. Fierce.
Goblok may bear any hand weapon, regardless of the requirements.
?R???

(I'm not sure about this one. Bearing the Whip of Many Tongues would be weird... but why not a Cave Troll Hammer, this orc is massive.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:04:38 PM by Cw0rk »

July 28, 2010, 05:32:18 AM
Reply #101

Dimitar

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2010, 05:32:18 AM »
•Goblok, Orc Chief
Minion • Orc
Damage +1. Fierce.
?R???

(I'm not sure about this one. Bearing the Whip of Many Tongues would be weird... but why not a Cave Troll Hammer, this orc is massive.)

Hmm maybe "Goblok may bear any hand weapon possession, regardless of the requirements" .

But I really like the whole set so far! Great job!

July 28, 2010, 12:14:17 PM
Reply #102

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
•Goblok, Orc Chief
Minion • Orc
Damage +1. Fierce.
?R???

Hmm maybe "Goblok may bear any hand weapon possession, regardless of the requirements" .

But I really like the whole set so far! Great job!
Thank you. Welcome on the boards! Your comment is a good source of motivation to make me finish this set.

If you want to help and have seen The Hunt for Gollum movie, feel free to post DC ideas or ideas for card names (I'm at the stage where I have plenty of conditions and events to make).

July 30, 2010, 05:16:33 PM
Reply #103

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »
Just a random idea here... Would that be acceptable?

[4] •Aragorn, Son of Arathorn
Companion • Man
Strength: 8
Signet: Frodo
Ranger. Tracker.
Each tracker is strength +2.
?P???

It looks a bit like a 'Hunter 2' Aragorn, but it may backfire if you face trackers. Keep in mind that I made 2 Nazgul trackers so far.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:49:42 PM by Cw0rk »

July 30, 2010, 05:33:16 PM
Reply #104

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »
Here are some new cards or modified cards. There is a FP and Shadow version of Let us out!, you can only use 4 copies per deck so you have to choose between the FP or Shadow version. First post is updated.

[1] Let us out! [Gollum] FP
Event • Skirmish
Make Sméagol strength +1 for each [Gollum] stealth card in your discard pile (limit +5).

[2] Tracks like those of a Hobbit [Shire]
Condition • Support Area
Search.
Skirmish: Discard a Free Peoples search card from hand to make a companion with the Frodo signet strength +2.

[2] Bree Ruffian [Isengard]
Minion • Man
Strength: 6
The roaming penalty for each [Isengard] minion you play is -1 for each burden you can spot.

[1] Let us out! [Gollum] (Shadow)
Event • Skirmish
Make Gollum strength +1 for each [Gollum] stealth card in your discard pile (limit +5).

(0) Murderously Protective of It [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Response
If the Ring-bearer is assigned to a skirmish, play Gollum at twilight cost -2 from your discard pile or hand to make the Ring-bearer lose all strength bonus from the One Ring until the regroup phase.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:55:26 PM by Cw0rk »