LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Rangers/Sauron Wounding. Need help!  (Read 13487 times)

October 23, 2010, 04:57:51 PM
Read 13487 times

Fowler

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Rangers/Sauron Wounding. Need help!
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »
Im a newbie in this game, and reading this web and getting cards from my friends i build this deck;

1x The One Ring, Answer To All Riddles
1x Boromir, Bearer of Council
1x Ranger of Ithilien
1x Faramir, Captain of Gondor

4x Might of Numeror
4x Sapling of the White Tree
1x Boromir, My Borther
4x Eregion's Trails
1x Garrison of Osgiliath
3x Sword of Gondor
1x Knight's Spear
4x War and Valor
1x Gondorian Merchant
3x Ancient Roads
2x Gondorian Ranger
1x Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver
1x Legolas, Greenleaf
1x Aragorn, Ranger of the North
1x Sam, Proper Poet
1x Tharain, Dwarven Smith

4x Orc Assassin
4x Orc Scouting Band
2x Orc Patrol
3x Grishnakh, Orc Captain
2x Orc Archer Troop
2x Desert Lord
2x Ulairë Enqueä, Liutenant of Morgul
2x Grond, Hammer of the Underworld
4x Hate
4x Under the Watching Eye
4x Orc Bowmen
2x Dead Marshes

35/35 i think that are too much but i cant cut anything from my shadow deck (in fact, i want add Terrible as the Dawn) I think too that both decks havent sinergy, is correctly? My friends are a completly noobs like me...

How can i upgrade my deck? specially the fellowship... Im thinking in play Smeagol bearer+Fara+Sam like others topics. Test rangers with Bows and people like Mablung but i dont like it :/

Ty for all and sry about my english
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:34:48 PM by Fowler »

October 23, 2010, 05:26:23 PM
Reply #1

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
Re: Rangers/Sauron Wounding. Need help!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 05:26:23 PM »
I'm guessing you forgot Faramir, Captain of Gondor should be there too as a starting companion.
Eregion Trails is not that good a card, especially in your deck where the only means of making minions roam in maneuver phase is with only 1 Gondorian Merchant. Most shadows stop roaming at site 4, some even sooner and only rare (Isengard Uruks or Sauron Besiegers roam until site 5). Even Sauron orcs have plenty of good trackers to make them stop roaming before site 6. It's good against Shelob, I guess ;)

Why Proper Poet? I think you have more than enough swarm protection and not enough burden removal, so Son of Hamfast would be the way to go.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

October 23, 2010, 05:33:11 PM
Reply #2

Fowler

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 05:33:11 PM »
Forgot the Captain of Gondor yeah ><

Eregion's Trails doesnt work in skirmishes? Now i understand all... (putting the card with Saved from Fire)

Sam Proper Poet works well with Might of Numeror to give him defender+2 for thumpblocking. U preffer eat 3 burdens and a single thumpblock?

Suggestions for my Fellow? -4 Trails +4...

Ty for ur post!

October 23, 2010, 08:16:39 PM
Reply #3

itjunkie

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »
Have you played much using this deck? i suspect you have experienced drawing under the watching eye without any trackers to exert, preventing you to play it...? If you have, id suggest swapping out orc archer troop perhaps with orc cutthroat..

then, id take out 1 ulaire enquea with an orc seeker and swap out 2x orc assassin for 2x orc ambushers... that way you get to play more minions. if you really want to put in terrible as the dawn, maybe take 1 desert lord or dead marshes out? 4x under the watching eye + 4x orc bowmen will be enough to exhaust your opponents in no time

October 23, 2010, 11:31:44 PM
Reply #4

Fowler

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:31:44 PM »
13 trackers aren't enough? cutthroat is a bad cark imo... Ambusher > cutthroat i think.

I love Assasin, is awesome when u play against hobbits/Sam

If need more trackers Ambusher is the guy, but i need more trackers?

(I test a little bit)

October 23, 2010, 11:33:03 PM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
Orc Cutthroat is beast.

I will add more thoughts when I didn't just get home from a night of binge drinking.
-wtk

October 23, 2010, 11:46:29 PM
Reply #6

itjunkie

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:46:29 PM »
@fowler: Orc Cutthroat isn't always as effective as grishnakh or orc patrol, but it's not a bad minion at all... If you do swap out orc archer troop, all your sauron orcs will be trackers, increasing your chances of playing utwe as soon as you draw it.

October 24, 2010, 12:19:54 AM
Reply #7

ramolnar

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 12:19:54 AM »
I agree that Orc Archer Troop is the weakest minion here. I'd run Orc Cutthroat. I'd also consider Orc Inquisitor. It's not a tracker, but the single random discard is really annoying to a lot of people, and it has 3 vitality for double-Hate. Also, 1 Dead Marshes will probably be enough, unless you face a lot of mass condition removal.

Your fellowship - well - there are better cards. Eregion's Trails must go. Pippin is a nice trick until he gets killed in a swarm skirmish. Sam, well, why not just run another Gondorian Ranger who might be able to take multiple hits? Or another ROTN, who can take multiple hits and a Sword of Gondor?
One more subtle point is that Sauron decks can be slow to cycle, and you really want to find your conditions early. This deck wants to be thinner. Beyond replacing Eregion's Trails, you might remove a Might of Numenor or something.

October 24, 2010, 05:15:27 AM
Reply #8

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:15:27 AM »
The best thing about Orc Cutthroat aside from its 3 vitality is that it's cheaper than Orc Patrol or Grishnakh... I lost the count of times I had Grishnakh and some other orcs in my hand and I could've played them all if only I had Orc Cuthroat instead of Grishnakh. The minion who makes all other minions stop roaming at site 3 is better cheaper. I'd keep at least a copy of Orc Archer Troop... from my experience, when my opponent played Orc Archer Troop, I was done for. It has a lor of vitality for Hate, provides at least one archery, it's very strong and may be fierce, so I'd say it's worth 6 twilight.

Trade List (TLHH)

October 24, 2010, 11:13:24 AM
Reply #9

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
A good Shadow will be able to discard your Ancient Roads. Are two Gondorian Ranger enough? I would way rather see you run Mablung, Soldier of Gondor and Ranger Bow than Sam, Proper Poet, Thrarin, Dwarven Speedbump.

I would certainly run Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms. I used to love Boromir, Bearer of Council (and still do, if he is not a Ring-Bearer), but when he is holding the ring he is too self-destructive.

Honestly, my favorite run of Movie Block Ring-Bound Rangers right now is one that jdizzy runs. He packs Ranger Bow, Banner of Westernesse, and Citadel of Minas Tirith and kills all of the minions with that, New Errand, and Arrows Thick in the Air. Great deck.

As for the Shadow, definitely run Orc Cutthroat over Orc Archer Troop. I think you will appreciate a [5] minion when roaming who makes all of your other minions not roaming (in most cases). His game text does come in handy if you want to kill an exhausted companion during a skirmish phase sometimes.

I run [Gollum] support with my [Sauron] wounding stuff. I think the threats added by Captured By the Ring are just so fantastic.
-wtk

October 24, 2010, 02:24:11 PM
Reply #10

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
Honestly, my favorite run of Movie Block Ring-Bound Rangers right now is one that jdizzy runs. He packs Ranger Bow, Banner of Westernesse, and Citadel of Minas Tirith and kills all of the minions with that, New Errand, and Arrows Thick in the Air. Great deck.

That's my deck!!! I made it first! It's mine! Mine, mine, MINE! Just mine! ;)

Gollum, DaD is probably the most versatile card in the game and it can be a very nice asset in most decks.

Trade List (TLHH)

October 25, 2010, 12:33:08 AM
Reply #11

Fowler

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 12:33:08 AM »
I like Orc Archer Troop to stop the rival with his power, and i love his resistance agaisnt archery, or to play hates. The rest of the minions are 'weaks' and is common see a companion with power 11 or greater.

(my meta is casual)

2 dead marshes are maybe the tight and correct decission? Galadriel, Secret Sentinels... against elves i need the conditions on the board, no?

My shadow deck has 35 cards and cant cut 4-5 to play Gollum

Maybe i can cut off a Enquea playing Morgullin at site 8, to add an aditional ambusher. Playing 2x Grond, -2 Orc Patrol +2Cutthroat? And i can cut off too one Archer troop to play an aditional ambusher?

4x Orc Assassin
4x Orc Scouting Band
2x Orc Cutthroat
2x Orc Ambusher
3x Grishnakh, Orc Captain
1x Orc Archer Troop
2x Desert Lord
1x Ulairë Enqueä, Liutenant of Morgul
2x Grond, Hammer of the Underworld
4x Hate
4x Under the Watching Eye
4x Orc Bowmen
2x Dead Marshes

15 trackers (+2 respect old version) and a faster deck (but a little bit more weak)

BtW, think that need more help in the fellowship. I Love Boromir for his hability (Knight Spear is for win the skirmishes) and run. Think in the Sam and suresslly eater of burdens > proper poet

Maybe -4 Trails +4 What are they and add an extra Gondorian merchant to give roaming in maneuver?

1x The One Ring, Answer To All Riddles
1x Boromir, Bearer of Council
1x Ranger of Ithilien
1x Faramir, Captain of Gondor

4x Might of Numeror
4x Sapling of the White Tree
1x Boromir, My Borther
4x What are they?
3x Sword of Gondor
1x Knight's Spear
4x War and Valor
2x Gondorian Merchant
3x Ancient Roads
2x Gondorian Ranger
1x Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver
1x Legolas, Greenleaf
1x Aragorn, Ranger of the North
1x Sam, Son of Hamfast
1x Tharain, Dwarven Smith

Ty to all people, ty :_)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:43:22 AM by Fowler »

October 30, 2010, 08:40:28 PM
Reply #12

itjunkie

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 08:40:28 PM »
it's not essential to put down "strong" minions... between under the watching eye, orc bowmen, desert lord and orc scouting band, you will be dealing tons of wounds. It's not about winning skirmishes

October 30, 2010, 11:31:16 PM
Reply #13

zadetek

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »
i will point out just1 major fact in this fellowship and thats the sappling of the white tree. People always forget the 1st sentence(to play spot an unbound man). I see only Aragorn ROTN, others are ringbound.So the posibility to play saplings is very small. You cannot have Aragorn always in opening hand:)

October 31, 2010, 10:16:04 AM
Reply #14

Fowler

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
@Itjunkie: but Orc Archer Troop is for the double move of the fellow rival, and my deck can run too.. i know that with rangers the best option is play Nazgul or Southorn, but havent these cards... i must adapt the sauron orcs maybe? dont know... actually changes the fellow for play Smeagol Ring Bearer, i think that is better than play my Rangers.

@Zadetek: Boromir is unbound...