LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gandalf/Hobbits now with Nazgul  (Read 9843 times)

November 04, 2010, 04:42:47 PM
Read 9843 times

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Gandalf/Hobbits now with Nazgul
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
I haven't posted a deck in a while, so I decided to put this one up for some critique.  Both sides are fairly new builds so I'll post them and then I'll tell you guys what I'm thinking.

Frodo, Hope of the Free Peoples
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles
Merry, From O'er the Brandywine
Pippin, Friend to Frodo
Sam, Great Elf Warrior

Gandalf, Manager of Wizards x4
Sting, Baggins Heirloom x2
Hobbit Sword x3
Gandalf's Staff
Glamdring
Brooding on Tomorrow x2
A Promise x4
Birthday Present x2
Escape x2
Everyone Knows x4
The Shire Countryside x3
A Light in His Mind x2
So Fair, So Desperate x4

The Witch King, Black Captain x4
Ulaire Cantea, Thrall of the One x2
Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One x4
Ulaire Nelya, Thrall of the One x3
Ulaire Toldea, Thrall of the One x3
Fell Beast x3
Nazgul Sword x2
Stooping to the Kill x2
Drawn to its Power x2
Bent on Discovery x2
Black Marshal x2
All Blades Perish x4
Dark Whispers x2
They Will Find the Ring x2

So my fellowship loses initiative through Gandalf, Mow, then A Light in His Mind and Shire Countryside that's nothing new.  But I figured while I lost initiative, play with So Fair, So Desperate to make Merry and Pippin beasts.  With all the conditions out, it becomes really easy to win when they can be up to +24 for each event.  Last game I played was a tough match-up because my opponent kept exhausting Sam and Merry with Desert Lords to make my conditions not as effective.  I just hope this never sees Saruman's Power.  That would end me.

The shadow is a kind of enduring Nazgul corruption, but instead I've gone with a more beatdown focus to it.  Using Nazgul Sword, Toldea, Dark Whispers, and hopefully Stooping to the Kill I can get large minions with big damage bonuses.  Then more burdens come through Drawn to its Power.  It's definitely not perfect, but it is effective.  It has the hardest time with wounding decks, hence 4 All Blades Perish.  I got lucky early on with my last opponent, but later in the game I didn't have the event to keep away his fully set up archery. 

Any help either way would be appreciated.

November 04, 2010, 05:58:50 PM
Reply #1

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: Gandalf/Hobbits now with Nazgul
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »
A talent for not being seen might be nice. Looks good.

EDIT: Maybe a different Sting if you're not using a Smeagol. Bane of The Eight Legs maybe..

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:07:29 PM by MuadDib »

November 05, 2010, 12:31:13 PM
Reply #2

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »
A talent for not being seen might be nice. Looks good.

EDIT: Maybe a different Sting if you're not using a Smeagol. Bane of The Eight Legs maybe..

A Talent for Not Being Seen probably won't help too much considering everything I play has a cost on it.  I'll try it and see what happens.  Baggins Heirloom helps against Gollum, but I think you're right that Bane of the Eight Legs would be better.  Thanks

November 06, 2010, 03:33:08 PM
Reply #3

zadetek

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 03:33:08 PM »
the deck seems ok to me, would change just dark whispers 2x for ithil stone 2x

November 06, 2010, 09:00:55 PM
Reply #4

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:00:55 PM »
the deck seems ok to me, would change just dark whispers 2x for ithil stone 2x

The only reason I'm not using Ithil Stone is because I can't use its ability to play minions cheaper.  I figured that the card draw isn't worth the slot, since I have a couple Bent on Discovery.

November 07, 2010, 06:08:20 AM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:08:20 AM »
I always thought that They Will Find the Ring was underused in an Enduring Nazgul deck. Good job to find a way to fit it in.

I would probably run fewer copies of The Witch-King, Black Captain as, frankly, he's not very good. The Witch-King, Morgul King can be fun to retrieve your cards. Also, I would consider Morgul Brute since you seem to be targeting the burden route...maybe in place of Dark Whispers or Drawn To Its Power.

With so few cheap minions, I would toss in one copy of Gollum, Plotting Deceiver. Discard him early and maybe at some point you will meet the parameters to play him from discard when you need that extra minion.
-wtk

November 07, 2010, 01:46:41 PM
Reply #6

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 01:46:41 PM »
I always thought that They Will Find the Ring was underused in an Enduring Nazgul deck. Good job to find a way to fit it in.

I would probably run fewer copies of The Witch-King, Black Captain as, frankly, he's not very good. The Witch-King, Morgul King can be fun to retrieve your cards. Also, I would consider Morgul Brute since you seem to be targeting the burden route...maybe in place of Dark Whispers or Drawn To Its Power.

With so few cheap minions, I would toss in one copy of Gollum, Plotting Deceiver. Discard him early and maybe at some point you will meet the parameters to play him from discard when you need that extra minion.
-wtk

They Will Find the Ring needed to come back.  I've just been waiting for the right deck to use it in.  I'm not using Morgul King because I have no way of adding threats and I don't want to rely on that.  Black Captain with a Fell Beast and a couple wounds can be fairly devastating to a Fellowship (I've done it a couple of times) and with Drawn to its Power can be a big help.  Dark Whispers is to help pick off companions again to trigger Drawn to its Power.  Brutes is something I should probably put in, I think I can find room for them.  I'm not sure if Gollum will be that helpful, but I'll try it and see what happens.

November 07, 2010, 02:16:09 PM
Reply #7

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »
It seems a nice deck. I also use They Will Find the Ring with Enduring Nazzies, though my build is more of a beatdown and full of events such as Fear and Relentless Charge. The way I see it, you need some threat removal and NFFATROD is probably the best choice. You don't need 4 So Fair, So Desperate with Birthday Present. I'd also go with 1 copy of Sting and 3 or 4 copies of Hobbit Sword.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

November 07, 2010, 03:26:10 PM
Reply #8

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »
It seems a nice deck. I also use They Will Find the Ring with Enduring Nazzies, though my build is more of a beatdown and full of events such as Fear and Relentless Charge. The way I see it, you need some threat removal and NFFATROD is probably the best choice. You don't need 4 So Fair, So Desperate with Birthday Present. I'd also go with 1 copy of Sting and 3 or 4 copies of Hobbit Sword.

You know, I forgot to put NNFATROD in when I built this.  I'll probably drop a Sting and one So Fair, So Desperate for 2 copies of that. 

I forgot about Relentless Charge maybe I'll work that in there somewhere.  It'll help against archery decks which give me problems.

July 05, 2013, 06:05:19 AM
Reply #9

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 06:05:19 AM »
I like to resurect old topics :)

I was looking for a fun idea for my new fellowship deck and found that one quite interesting.

Here is my attempt to it. Tell me what you think

Super Hobbits

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Hope of Free Peoples
Ring: The One Ring, Answer To All Riddles

Adventure deck:
Sleeping Quarters
King's Tent
Hall of the Kings
Pelennor Plain
City Gates
Minas Tirith First Circle
Pelennor Grassland
Morgul Vale
Dagorlad

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
4x Gandalf, Manager of Wizards
1x Merry, From O'er the Brandywine
1x Pippin, Sworn to Service
1x Sam, Great Elf Warrior
3x Hobbit Sword
1x Sting, Baggins Heirloom
1x Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom
3x So Fair, So Desperate
2x Brooding on Tomorrow
3x A Light in His Mind
3x A Promise
2x Birthday Present
2x Escape
4x Everyone Knows
4x The Shire Countryside

Shadow Draw Deck:
2x Berserk Butcher
1x Berserk Rager
2x Berserk Savage
3x Berserk Slayer
2x Saruman, Servant of the Eye
4x Uruk Crossbow Troop
4x Uruk Engineer
2x Uruk Sapper
3x Devilry of Orthanc
1x Greed
3x Siege Engine
4x Tower of Orthanc
4x Weapons of Isengard

I hesitated starting with Quickbeam, Bregalad as mentioned in this post http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,8434.msg82806.html#msg82806 to include a few Ent Draught, but could not find the place (or should I get rid of Sam and A promise as suggested?)

The shadow side is a very classic Berserker deck. I know there are more efficient shadows, but I find it really funny to play.

Here is a replay link of my first attempt.
http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=neopium$g3nemvjhs9fjsc5r

The fellowship did not work very well because I made some mistakes:
- I forgot that So Fair, So Desperate adds a threat and I did not have either NFFatRoD nor Frodo, Hope of the Free People
- I forgot that Everyone knows only works on unbound hobbits and lost Sam in the process (proving he is dispensable?)

Even though I lost, I feel there is potential. Of course, Saruman's power ruins it, but nobody's perfect :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:15:32 AM by neopium »

July 06, 2013, 02:23:55 PM
Reply #10

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
No feedback?

Well, so far 2 victories, 2 defeats

Here is for the only FP win: http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=neopium$tawz9mqhw77gwp4d

It worked very well!

I still think I lack of Ring-bearer protection. I could not double move much because I feared a swarm on Frodo.

Maybe I will add 1x The Tale of the Great Ring