LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Wiki Improvement Suggestion Thread  (Read 8582 times)

April 29, 2012, 05:35:05 AM
Read 8582 times

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Wiki Improvement Suggestion Thread
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:35:05 AM »
So, sorry if I'm jumping the gun, but I figured I'd make one of these instead of gumming up the thread with a new topic every time I thought of something unrelated to previous suggestions that could be used.

Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

April 29, 2012, 05:40:37 AM
Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
Re: Wiki Improvement Suggestion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 05:40:37 AM »
Now, the current idea that spawned this thread has to do with keyword filtering...I don't know exactly how the autolinker works, not having seen the code myself, but is it possible to add a clause that would automatically add double asterisks to either side of keywords?  I mean, not that it's an enormous hassle to write **Fierce** or **damage + 1**, but it just seems like it might be nice, and easily implemented to boot (unless I grossly miss my guess in how the code works). 

Taking a look down the list of keywords, none of the loaded keywords (except maybe damage) would ever really be used outside referencing the corresponding action, and very few of the unloaded keywords would be used on the wiki except how various cards would use them.  At any rate, if it did just reuse the autolinker code, then it's just a ! away from disabling anyway, if there is some fringe case where it looks ugly.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

April 29, 2012, 06:23:52 PM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:23:52 PM »
Link color styles:  The green is fine (if unorthodox) in my opinion, but it overrides the purple "visited" color for pages you've already been to.  If we ever have a wiki fine enough to get lost in, people are gonna want to know what pages they've been to already at a glance. 

April 30, 2012, 06:36:42 AM
Reply #3

Kralik

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:36:42 AM »
Now, the current idea that spawned this thread has to do with keyword filtering...I don't know exactly how the autolinker works, not having seen the code myself, but is it possible to add a clause that would automatically add double asterisks to either side of keywords?  I mean, not that it's an enormous hassle to write **Fierce** or **damage + 1**, but it just seems like it might be nice, and easily implemented to boot (unless I grossly miss my guess in how the code works). 

Taking a look down the list of keywords, none of the loaded keywords (except maybe damage) would ever really be used outside referencing the corresponding action, and very few of the unloaded keywords would be used on the wiki except how various cards would use them.  At any rate, if it did just reuse the autolinker code, then it's just a ! away from disabling anyway, if there is some fringe case where it looks ugly.

This is something I could look into if anyone wants to get me a full list of keywords. :)

April 30, 2012, 07:30:48 AM
Reply #4

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:30:48 AM »
check the wiki page <_<;;

Keywords

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:10:27 AM by TelTura »

April 30, 2012, 11:40:33 AM
Reply #5

Kralik

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:40:33 AM »
Link color styles:  The green is fine (if unorthodox) in my opinion, but it overrides the purple "visited" color for pages you've already been to.  If we ever have a wiki fine enough to get lost in, people are gonna want to know what pages they've been to already at a glance. 

Standard blue and purple it is. Kinda liked the default green though.

April 30, 2012, 12:18:39 PM
Reply #6

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
eh, I've no problem with the green.  Maybe green and purple?

April 30, 2012, 12:42:19 PM
Reply #7

Kralik

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »
How about... green and darker green? :mrgreen:

April 30, 2012, 12:52:09 PM
Reply #8

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
so long as it's stark enough.

May 01, 2012, 05:01:32 AM
Reply #9

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:01:32 AM »
Alright, I've found that the two colors you've picked don't work that well...the "unvisited" green is alright, but "visited" is so close to black as to be fairly indistinguishable when in a wall of text.  Try the green and purple; purplelink is well-established, and who knows, it might not look hideous <_<

May 01, 2012, 06:12:48 AM
Reply #10

Kralik

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 06:12:48 AM »
In that case, I'll make it green and dark white, so that the visited links are indeed QUITE distinguishable from the wall of text.

May 01, 2012, 06:37:54 AM
Reply #11

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 06:37:54 AM »
dark white

isn't that another word for black?

May 01, 2012, 07:41:17 AM
Reply #12

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 07:41:17 AM »
I just had an idea.  You know how the redlinks have the dotted line underneath?  Well, is there any way to have an unvisited link be green while visited is the current color but with the dotted line?  I think that will help it pop while still keeping a low profile.

May 01, 2012, 09:05:46 AM
Reply #13

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:05:46 AM »
As far as the culture icons go, they seem to me to be a bit fuzzy...I'm trying to use them contextually in a sentence (like the cards do) and it's not coming out as clearly as I'd like (see Unloaded Keywords).  If it's just me, I'll deal with it, but as I've mentioned before, I have high-res vector versions of all the culture icons.  Is there any wizardry that can be done to display *.svg files?  If not, I can hack together a custom Ariel derivative that would then be as smooth as the cards and *.pdf's.  Is this feasible?

[EDIT:] At the very least, I could re-render some new *.png's to eliminate any *.jpg artifacts and hopefully preserve better clarity.  Let me know what would be best.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:10:02 AM by TelTura »

May 01, 2012, 09:18:32 AM
Reply #14

Kralik

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »
If you want to make better versions of the culture icons, feel free. Those are just the ones we had from the forum, which I think? came over from CC days. BTW... the Boromir in Unloaded Keywords is running into the table. :P