LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Keywords  (Read 6988 times)

April 30, 2012, 11:06:49 AM
Read 6988 times

Kralik

Keywords
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »
Keywords should now auto-link and bold themselves. The list so far includes things like:

Brooch, Box, Cloak, Gauntlets, Hand, Weapon, Helm, Mount, Palantir, Phial, Pipe, Ranged, Weapon, Ring, Shield, Staff, Support, Area, Aid, Archer, Enduring, Fierce, Lurker, Muster, Sanctuary, Ring-bearer, Unhasty, Balrog, Creature, Dwarf, Elf, Ent, Half-Troll, Hobbit, Maia, Man, Nazgul, Orc, Spider, Tree, Troll, Uruk-hai, Wizard, Wraith, Battleground, Besieger, Corsair, Dwelling, Easterling, Engine, Fellowship, Forest, Fortification, Knight, Machine, Marsh, Mountain, Plains, Pipeweed, Ranger, Ring-bound, River, Search, Southron, Spell, Stealth, Tale, Tentacle, Tracker, Twilight, Valiant, Villager, and Underground. Armor and Warg-Rider are cards and thus excluded.  :-k

"Numeric" keywords should do the same and link to a generic explanation of the term (sans number). This includes keywords like:

Damage +X, Defender +X, Ambush X, Hunter X, Toil X

Note that if you've already added links or bold, it will do nothing (Sorry Teltura! :P)

A few thoughts:

1) Are the "item class" keywords actually Loaded? Should they be bolded?
2) Are some of the items on the list actually keywords? Palantir, for example...
3) What other words should I add to the autolinker? Classes, Races, Cultures ...?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:08:34 AM by Kralik »

April 30, 2012, 11:44:10 AM
Reply #1

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Keywords
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
Item classes are not loaded keywords, but I think they might technically be keywords (cf. Eowyn, Northwoman who does, confusingly, remove race from minions with her ability).

That said, I don't see why keywords that aren't bolded in text boxes ought to be bolded automatically in the wiki. And I do think the distinction between: items, shorthand (like "Event • Phase" and "Condition • Support Area"), races, cultures, terrain keywords, loaded keywords and unloaded keywords should all be clearly differentiated. Also it's worth noting something about being "mounted" in the mount section.

Palantír is as much of a keyword as any of the other item classes, thanks to Recovered Seeing Stone.

Now that all that is said, I don't really know anything about wikis and such! So sorry if what I said was a bit unhelpful/irrelevant. ;)

Thran

April 30, 2012, 12:17:52 PM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
Item classes are, actually, loaded keywords.  I learned that myself today while reading the comprehensive guide under "loaded"...

...Card type and class (see bearer) are loaded keywords. ...

...had to come to grips with it myself (not to mention rearrange all my tables in the wiki).  I had always put item class as an unloaded keyword, but after I thought about it I decided it made sense...after all, a keyword is loaded if there's a rule associated with it, and item classes are limited to one per bearer.  Thus, loaded.

As to the issue with whether or not it should be bolded, I would do it as a matter of preference, but I can see the argument not to.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

April 30, 2012, 12:23:11 PM
Reply #3

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »
Item classes are, actually, loaded keywords.  I learned that myself today while reading the comprehensive guide under "loaded"...

...Card type and class (see bearer) are loaded keywords. ...

...had to come to grips with it myself (not to mention rearrange all my tables in the wiki).  I had always put item class as an unloaded keyword, but after I thought about it I decided it made sense...after all, a keyword is loaded if there's a rule associated with it, and item classes are limited to one per bearer.  Thus, loaded.

As to the issue with whether or not it should be bolded, I would do it as a matter of preference, but I can see the argument not to.

Good point!

Thran

April 30, 2012, 12:34:01 PM
Reply #4

Kralik

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
Item classes are not loaded keywords, but I think they might technically be keywords (cf. Eowyn, Northwoman who does, confusingly, remove race from minions with her ability).

That said, I don't see why keywords that aren't bolded in text boxes ought to be bolded automatically in the wiki. And I do think the distinction between: items, shorthand (like "Event • Phase" and "Condition • Support Area"), races, cultures, terrain keywords, loaded keywords and unloaded keywords should all be clearly differentiated. Also it's worth noting something about being "mounted" in the mount section.

Palantír is as much of a keyword as any of the other item classes, thanks to Recovered Seeing Stone.

Now that all that is said, I don't really know anything about wikis and such! So sorry if what I said was a bit unhelpful/irrelevant. ;)

Thran

Ah, shows how much I am unfamiliar with sets 11+ -- I wasn't aware of Recovered Seeing Stone.

I'm not so sure that Eowyn, Northwoman removes race since her clarified game text says she removes keywords from game text only. But it would make sense now (with TelTura's reference) that she would work that way with her original text.

April 30, 2012, 12:49:09 PM
Reply #5

Kralik

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »
OK, I tried to only bold keywords that are bolded in game text.

Let me know as you think of them of items to add to the autolinks. I'll be adding Cultures, Races and Item/Card types soon.

April 30, 2012, 12:55:02 PM
Reply #6

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

Ah, shows how much I am unfamiliar with sets 11+ -- I wasn't aware of Recovered Seeing Stone.

regardless, let me reintroduce you to our dear friend the Palantir of Orthanc.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

April 30, 2012, 01:05:53 PM
Reply #7

Kralik

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »
Pffft, you win.

Meanwhile... "Box"?

April 30, 2012, 01:26:00 PM
Reply #8

Kralik

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
I added races and phases, tweaking a few things here and there.

You can use any of the following for phases:

Regroup
Regroup:
Regroup Phase

They will all link to Regroup Phase

April 30, 2012, 02:29:56 PM
Reply #9

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »
I was unaware that hand was a keyword :P
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

April 30, 2012, 02:34:50 PM
Reply #10

Kralik

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »
Yup, it is!

OK, not really. The list above was incorrectly parsed and it should be "Hand Weapon" not Hand, Weapon. I already fixed it in the code.

April 30, 2012, 03:14:23 PM
Reply #11

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
Pffft, you win.

Meanwhile... "Box"?

Salt from the Shire.

otherwise, looks good overall.  I'm burned out on wiki-ing for tonight, but tomorrow morning I'll give it a good stress test.

April 30, 2012, 03:25:32 PM
Reply #12

Kralik

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
Decipher should try to avoid one-card keywords...

May 01, 2012, 12:25:42 AM
Reply #13

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »
I can kinda see why they did it, but explicitly putting "limit one per bearer" would have done the same thing (although there isn't much space on the card)

May 01, 2012, 01:29:20 AM
Reply #14

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:29:20 AM »
it all seems to work pretty well; the one thing I can think of to change is to add X to the regex expression (since I assume that's how it works) on numeric keywords, so you can do Damage + X without it coming out as a wimpy Damage + X.