LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 103186 times)

January 27, 2009, 12:00:44 PM
Reply #45

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 12:00:44 PM »
Quick pair of spoilers today, with a rather different type of color-bleeding!

Hamper (W)
Instant
Hamper is green.
Remove target attacking creature from the game.
U

Banishment 2 (B)
Instant
Banishment is blue.
Destroy target creature.
C

Btw, these cards will still be filed under their color considering their COST, not their text, for the sake of organization.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:40:36 PM by Felipe Musco »

January 27, 2009, 12:42:42 PM
Reply #46

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 12:42:42 PM »
1 white mana to RFG a crit! Broken! As is a 2 (B) destroy target creature. What about Gloomlance, eh? Most black stuff destroys non-black, non-artifact or non something crits, but for a mana more you can destroy anything. Though I guess it could get Guttural Response to the face, but still, methinks it should be 3 (B), at least.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

January 27, 2009, 01:37:13 PM
Reply #47

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 01:37:13 PM »
The first one does seem to be incredibly powerful. Okay, Excise can be the same effect for (W), but most other examples of this are significantly more costly (and so is Excise realistically) like Second Thoughts (you can't tell me drawing a card is worth [4]), Soul Nova, Unified Strike and Resounding Silence (thank you Gatherer! ;) ). It just seems to me that Hamper outshines them all a lot.

And Banishment is also powerful, significantly more powerful than Assassinate for example.

Thranduil

January 27, 2009, 01:46:30 PM
Reply #48

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »
Maybe. However, both Swords to Plowshares AND Path to Exile (to be released with Conflux next weekend) are inherently better. It's only slightly better than Condemn, although BOTH Condemn AND Swords can be used on your OWN creatures for benefits sometimes. I DID miss the rarity, though, which was supposed to be U while most of the "crap" "white" removal tends to be C. However, it IS somewhat more limited in that it can't remove blockers, which other cards usually can, like Devourig Greed (which has built-in convoke as a perk). I think it's pretty fine, actually. It only gets rid of attackers, it can't kill blockers NOR utility creatures.
As for Banishment, well, you are taking into account some of the WORST forms of removal, I mean, Assassinate? OMG! Terror, for instance, is common. I based it off Dark Banishing, which is itself pretty crappy, so much that it was replaced in the core set by Terror itself, and while I DID remove the "drawback" of not killing black creatures (after all, it's not even a black spell anyway), I gave it a slightly unnoticeable one, but one that CAN make a difference. I does NOT get around regeneration.

January 27, 2009, 08:46:24 PM
Reply #49

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 08:46:24 PM »
Neck Snap is the only comparable white removal in standard, Swords to Plowshares and Condemn have significant drawbacks, very significant at times. This enables you to take down Darksteel Colossus for crying out loud! Turn 2 Colossus, eat my Hamper!

Oh, and the title doesn't fit. Hamper seems like it should be...idk...hampering. Try "Blast to Oblivion." The other should be something more creative too, Banishment would be RFG, IMO as opposed to destruction, where some other title may be more appropriate.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:48:01 PM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

January 28, 2009, 03:57:22 AM
Reply #50

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 03:57:22 AM »
Banishment, IMO, is fine.

I'm with the other guys on Hamper, though.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

January 28, 2009, 06:58:02 AM
Reply #51

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 06:58:02 AM »
Neck Snap is the only comparable white removal in standard, Swords to Plowshares and Condemn have significant drawbacks, very significant at times. This enables you to take down Darksteel Colossus for crying out loud! Turn 2 Colossus, eat my Hamper!

Oh, and the title doesn't fit. Hamper seems like it should be...idk...hampering. Try "Blast to Oblivion." The other should be something more creative too, Banishment would be RFG, IMO as opposed to destruction, where some other title may be more appropriate.

I'm with you on Hamper's title. Banishment, however, is a homage to Dark Banishing, which is why I'm keeping it this way, since it WAS my inspiration in the first place. As for Condemn, its drawback can be sometimes used as a benefit, remember? That may seem moot, but I played the 2007 season with UW Krovax for a LONG time (as well as UBw Teachings) to know it IS pretty useful. As I said before, Path to Exile is coming out in Conflux, it's text is:
"Remove target creature from the game. It's controller may search his or her library for a basic land card and put it into play tapped".
Seriously, this outhisnes Swords to Plowshares in Legacy EASILY, and it'll be Standard as of next saturday. Not to mention it removes any creature, it removes a Meddling Mage that's annoying you, it removes a Stuffy Doll that's about to combo you off, heck, it removes Painter's Servant! Hamper has a severe limitation. As for the Neck Snap comparison, the white removals I'd compare it with are Condemn, Oblivion Ring and Unmake. I think it's up there with Condemn, since Condemn is a bit more versatile (since it puts on the bottom of your library, you CAN save a creature you own... and gain some life in the process); I think it's a bit worse than Oblivion Ring but it's mana cost is more attractive, and it's a bit better than Unmake, although somewhat more limited.
It doesn't prevent a Mistbind Clique from tapping you out by killing it before the champion trigger resolves, it doesn't stop creature-based combos and it won't help aggro decks apply pressure since it can't remove blockers. It'd be more of a control tool, although aggro decks could crawl back to a somewhat lost game WHILE keeping mana open. Hum... Tough one.
What would you guys suggest? Make it 1 (W) (after all, it IS a green spell, for God's sake, it DOES eem too powerful when you put this in perspective) or give it an additional "green" cost, like sacrificing a Land? Maybe some MORE color bleeding (it WOULD be cool to have a card bleed more than one color at once, when you think about it), like paying some life (nothing abusable, it IS still only taking ATTACKERS away anyway), like 2-3? So far, I think the "green" alternative is the most logical (and fits in with the set's theme of the colors learning that, hey, maybe they should be doing something else, since they are not quite good at doing that...), elegant solution, although then I'd probably allow it to remove blockers as well (it WOULD be a good reason green would branch into creature removal, after all), although getting crazy and multi-bleeding DOES sound appealing, and you know me, I'm all for crazy stuff!

January 30, 2009, 05:58:24 AM
Reply #52

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 05:58:24 AM »
Mana cost isn't much of an issue - at least, increasing it by 1 wouldn't really make it much less good. I think giving it some extra cost would be best. Land sounds better than life, but it's up to you.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

January 30, 2009, 09:07:24 AM
Reply #53

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 09:07:24 AM »
I'm quite fond of the "sacrificing a land" idea. I mean, Path to Exile gives them a land, this one sets you back. PtE is still better, but it IS white, whereas this is green, so "not so good" in doing that, although still quite good for using white mana. Any objections?

February 02, 2009, 01:43:31 AM
Reply #54

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2009, 01:43:31 AM »
No objections here. :up:

Thranduil

February 04, 2009, 06:11:50 AM
Reply #55

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2009, 06:11:50 AM »
Okey-dokey, let's move along, people!

Time to give you the last land card of this set! It surely does have a lot of lands, I know, but they open a lot of possibilities, so I think it's all good. However, this one here is a bit more... tricky. It surely is nice, but you have to know how to play around with it.

I give you...

New World
Legendary Land
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.
(T): Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
R

So, what's up with this land? Any color of mana, hands down, no questions asked. Riiight. Until you notice that your life total is diminishing awfully fast. Really, Bitterblossom reduces your life total at the same rate WHILE giving you evasive creatures every turn and you'll STILL see a fair share of players dying to their faerie enchantments everywhere, so this is definitely "balanced". However, since it DOESN'T give you creatures, then why would you play it in the first place?!? Ah, well, if you ask this, then you've never seen Extended's Domain Zoo playing, talk about losing life! However, the deck is awfully fast, and it is greedy color-wise, so it's justifiable. Also, this land has a built-in fail-safe mechanism that Bitterblossom does not: it's legendary. So all you have to do is play a second one, and you've gotten rid of it, although, of course, at the cost of losing 2 lands.
So will control play this? Probably, it it is greedy color-wise or just in dire need of early fixing.
Will aggro play this? Most likely not, unless they spring for a multi-color deck (maybe next set, who knows? ;) ).
Which brings me to the niche I've chosen for this card: combo.
I think this land is best suited (although as I said, it WOULD fit in the other archetypes) for combo. It gives you fast access to whatever color you need at the moment, allowing for more card combinations at the cost of a faster clock.
So, thoughts? I thought about including a clause to prevent the life loss while locking up your mana, having to pay 1 each upkeep, but in the end decided against it. I think I like it better this way, "no pain no gain" style. Inevitability... Sure makes some players think through a LOT of turns ahead! ;)

February 04, 2009, 06:17:26 AM
Reply #56

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2009, 06:17:26 AM »
New World
Legendary Land
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.
(T): Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
R
It's very cool though I'm not experienced enough to know whether it's balanced or not. That said, I'm not quite getting the flavour of this card. Why does a new world put you on a clock?

Thranduil

February 04, 2009, 06:42:36 AM
Reply #57

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2009, 06:42:36 AM »
It's very cool though I'm not experienced enough to know whether it's balanced or not. That said, I'm not quite getting the flavour of this card. Why does a new world put you on a clock?

Thranduil

It has to do with the set's backstory. They are in a world full of possibilities, where they can "bend" the colorpie as they see fit, thought they start learning that some colors are better suited to do some stuff than others. This land gives them access to every type of mana for experimenting, but the process is depleting to the world itself, since they have to drain a HUGE amount of, say, white mana to get the effect of a Lightning Bolt, instead of a single red mana. Not to mention the fact that ALL of them are draining every type of mana in large amounts. The process of draining the mana itself is exhausting, which will lead to the colorpie "fixing" itself in the usual configuration later on, allowing for more powerful spells at a smaller cost, as well as to balance in mana extraction.

February 05, 2009, 08:45:16 AM
Reply #58

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 08:45:16 AM »
Ok, so let's start to whip out some colorless fun! Some "common ground" for the brothers to have their fun!

Relic of Old  1
Artifact
When Relic of Old comes into play, name a color. Whenever you play a spell of the chosen color, you may gain 1 life.
C

Field Golem  4
Artifact Creature - Golem
3/3
C

Fieldbreaker  6
Artifact Creature - Golem
Trample.
Fieldbreaker attacks each turn if able.
4/4
U

February 05, 2009, 09:48:43 AM
Reply #59

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 09:48:43 AM »
All seems fair enough. Not sure about the Field Golem, it seems a bit cheap (compared to Hill Giant) but I don't think it's too powerful.

Thranduil