LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 103184 times)

March 01, 2010, 09:11:37 AM
Reply #120

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »
It's been quiet recently - this hasn't died. I was unfortunately quite busy, but I'm here now!

I think the Gnawer might be better at 1/1.

Fervorous Goblin (R)
Creature - Goblin Shaman
You may sacrifice Goblin Shaman any time you could play an instant.
When Fervorous Goblin is put in the graveyard from the battlefield, you may have it deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
1/1
U
How is this different from Mogg Fanatic? I'm probably being obtuse...

Sparkling Elemental (R)
Creature - Elemental Rogue
At the start of your upkeep, exile Sparkling Elemental.
Pay 3 life: Sparkling Elemental gains haste until the end of the turn.
3/3
C
I'm not sure what I think about this. Spark Elemental has trample for otherwise essentially the same card in a red burn deck, and without costing you 3 life. Or read it as a 3/3 defender for 1 turn that you would get from that Thunderhead replicate card or something. Really don't know if either of these two modes are necessary or worth playing.

Flaming Fencer [3](R)
Creature - Elemental Warrior
First strike.
3/1
C
Yeah nice.

Sparkling [3](R)(R)
(R): Change the target of target spell with a single target.
(R): Target creature gains haste untill the end of the turn.
[1], put a -1/-1 counter on Sparkling: Sparkling deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
[1]: Remove a -1/-1 counter from Sparkling.
R
All the other Morphling copies have only effected themselves, so Torchling can only change spells that target it, Thornling can only give itself indestructible etc. So again I'm not sure about this one.

Flame Knight (R)(R)
Creature - Elemental Knight
First strike, protection from white.
2/2
U
You could perhaps make it a slightly different card from Blood Knight - haste, pyromancer, firebreathing...

Thranduil

March 01, 2010, 09:48:53 AM
Reply #121

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2010, 09:48:53 AM »
I forgot the trample on Sparkling, already added it on the main post. Mogg Fanatic was kind of neutered due to the change of the combat rules. Since combat damage no longer uses the stack, Fanatic can't kill X/1 creatures AND ping for damage, or kill X/2 creatures. Fervorous Goblin, can. Also, changed Sparkling. As for the Knight, anything else would be too much for red to have, since it HAS the added bonus of being of a relevant tribe.

March 01, 2010, 09:53:24 AM
Reply #122

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2010, 09:53:24 AM »
Mogg Fanatic was kind of neutered due to the change of the combat rules. Since combat damage no longer uses the stack, Fanatic can't kill X/1 creatures AND ping for damage, or kill X/2 creatures. Fervorous Goblin, can.
Yes but I don't see how. You still can't put the damage on the stack, then sacrifice him.

As for the Knight, anything else would be too much for red to have, since it HAS the added bonus of being of a relevant tribe.
I was talking instead of first strike, but never mind.

Thranduil

March 02, 2010, 09:32:40 AM
Reply #123

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2010, 09:32:40 AM »
By having an activated ability that lets you sac him any time you could play an instant, and having a triggered ability that deals damage as he hits the 'yard from the battlefield. Basically, if you block an X/2, he deals 1 damage, then 1 more from the 'yard. If he blocks an X/1, he kills it, then can ping anything else for 1 when he hits the graveyard. If you have to nuke a Birds of Paradise, you sac him, then he triggers and pings for one. It's actually the same functionality Mogg Fanatic used to have, but rewritten to fit in with the new rules.

March 02, 2010, 09:42:40 AM
Reply #124

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
Sorry, I was very busy, too (theater group and so on...), so here comes my review:

Fervorous Goblin (R)
Creature - Goblin Shaman
When Fervorous Goblin is put in the graveyard from the battlefield, you may have it deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
1/1
U

Interesting, I'm not sure if this one isn't too strong, but I like it.

Sparkling Elemental (R)
3/3
C

Phasing 2.0 with costs, uh?
Well, I never liked Phasing so much, but this one is definitly worse than Phasing, and as for Phasing, you had 3 mana 4/4 flying guys, (if I remember it correctly) so I don't think this one will be played at all...

Flaming Fencer [3](R)
First strike.
3/1
C

As for MtG changed so much during the last couple of years, I started to like the simple cards most. Same for this one! :up:

Sparkling [3](R)(R)
[1], put a -1/-1 counter on Sparkling: Sparkling deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
R

So, let's start analyzing this card:

1st effect: too strong. Definitely. Change an Ancestrall Recall to yourself and win the game? Really overpowered.
2nd effect: I'm not sure about this one; Sparkling is a 3/3, right? So I it's ok.
3rd effect: I'd make this effect red.
4th effect: See 3.

And where are the -1/+1 and +1/-1 abilities we all love so much?

Flame Knight (R)(R)
2/2
U

You know what would e really cool: First strike and firepump ability (+1/+0), but maybe he would be too strong, then.

March 02, 2010, 10:08:07 AM
Reply #125

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »
Wow, major brainfart, forgot to add in Sparkling's power and toughness (he's a 5/5). I wanted to give Sparkling a different feel from the other 'lings, since red already has Torchling, which is why I deviated from the semi-pumping abilities. However, it DOES tie in better to make ALL the abilities red. Also, I changed the first one as Lemon suggested (you can check it on the card list), it now only affects spells that target Sparkling.
Also, Sparkling Elemental was given trample, so, basically, it's Spark Elemental with the added bonus of being more resistant to spot removal AND able to block, if need be. I think it'd definitely see play, although it's probably not a tier 1 card for burn Decks.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:11:31 AM by Felipe Musco »

March 02, 2010, 10:18:50 AM
Reply #126

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »
Wow, major brainfart, forgot to add in Sparkling's power and toughness (he's a 5/5). I wanted to give Sparkling a different feel from the other 'lings, since red already has Torchling, which is why I deviated from the semi-pumping abilities. However, it DOES tie in better to make ALL the abilities red. Also, I changed the first one as Lemon suggested (you can check it on the card list), it now only affects spells that target Sparkling.
Also, Sparkling Elemental was given trample, so, basically, it's Spark Elemental with the added bonus of being more resistant to spot removal AND able to block, if need be. I think it'd definitely see play, although it's probably not a tier 1 card for burn Decks.

Nice to see that someone follows my thoughts  :D

Anyway, 5/5 seems a bit too strong for me. 4/4 will be ok.

And why not changing sparkling Elemtal into Echo  [1] (R) (R) instead of exiling him? I think there was a similar cad in Green that costs  (G), has Haste, trample and Echo [1] (G) (G), so that would be quiet interesting, too.

March 02, 2010, 10:58:42 AM
Reply #127

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »
I get the Mogg Fanatic 2.0 now. But, I would rather see it as something slightly different. Think about it without the ability to sacrifice itself - has almost the same functionality and is much cleaner, and requires you to build in sacrificing outlets to get the most use..

I do get the feeling that making a card that works how Mogg Fanatic used to work exactly except wordier is really quite a copout and a bit of an insult to the M10 rules.

Thranduil

March 02, 2010, 12:44:48 PM
Reply #128

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2010, 12:44:48 PM »
I have to disagree. Mogg Fanatic was designed to work the way he did. The rules were not changed because it was abusable, they were changed to "dumb down" the game so Hasbro can lower their target public and make more money. Also, if I remove the sacrifice outlet, it wouldn't be able to work like Mogg Fanatic, and it was a really iconic creature that got shafted due to those changes, thus remaking it. Of course, I could remake every single creature that got neutered, but I sincerely don't think it was a severe enough blow to them, not as much as it was to Fanatic. But this is as far as I go, I just wanted it back to Goblins in my set, without the stupid new rules (or getting around them).

March 03, 2010, 02:22:30 AM
Reply #129

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2010, 02:22:30 AM »
So, while I wait for final feedback on Gnawer, let me shell out some more (R) goodies:

Fervorous Goblin (R)
Creature - Goblin Shaman
1/1
U

Cool.

Sparkling Elemental (R)
3/3
C

Why the change from the end step exile to upkeep and allow blocking, compared to ball, hells thunder and hellspark?

Flaming Fencer [3](R)
First strike.
3/1
C

Hmmm, not sure id use this in a fast red deck, no haste plus large cost makes it a bit irrelevant.

Sparkling [3](R)(R)
R

Thornling for red muahaha! Why does it have no power or toughness? The first line is ridiculous. Since when did red control???

Flame Knight (R)(R)
2/2
U

Why White? Black knight has protection from white? Why not blue, which would make massive sense and also for flavour reasons.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

March 03, 2010, 05:50:11 AM
Reply #130

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2010, 05:50:11 AM »
Sparkling is a 5/5, ans is fixed now, it only changes spells that are targetting him (and yes, red DOES change spells' targets.
Sparkling Elemental can play a different role than straight up burning, you can burn, but can also opt to stall aggro. Hence, the change in the wording.
The Knight has protection from white for the same reason you suggested blue, both colors are red's natural enemies. However, blue is suboptimal, since it usually plays very few creatures, and blue does not have a lot of removal. But you DID give me an idea, perhaps I'll make a Knight for blue...

March 03, 2010, 06:18:07 AM
Reply #131

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2010, 06:18:07 AM »
Why White? Black knight has protection from white? Why not blue, which would make massive sense and also for flavour reasons.[/b]
Yeah, that's an obvious answer to making Blood Knight and Flame Knight slightly different - so obvious, that I'm a bit annoyed I didn't mention it before! Also the name "Flame" suggests that its nemesis is water (U), whereas "Blood" suggests a nemesis of healing (W).

Thranduil

March 03, 2010, 11:08:19 AM
Reply #132

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »
#$&*@!, that IS a good point. I'm changing him to this instead:

Flame Knight (R)(R)
Split Second.
First strike, protection from blue.
2/2
U

Also, for argument's sake, these are the final texts on Sparkling and Crackling Elemental (Sparkling Elemental got changed to Crackling Elemental, since it had absolutely no tie-in AT ALL to Sparkling), so far:

Sparkling [3](R)(R)
(R): Change the target of target spell with a single target that targets Sparkling.
(R), put a -1/-1 counter on Sparkling: Sparkling deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
(R): Remove a -1/-1 counter from Sparkling.
5/5
R

Crackling Elemental (R)
Trample.
At the start of your upkeep, exile Crackling Elemental.
Pay 2 life: Crackling Elemental gains haste until the end of the turn.
3/3
C

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:19:27 PM by Felipe Musco »

March 03, 2010, 12:26:29 PM
Reply #133

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
They are ok like that, maybe just make Sparkling a 4/4, as I said before...

March 03, 2010, 12:57:50 PM
Reply #134

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
As a 4/4, a single activation puts him in Elephant range and succeptible to removal, I like the 5/5 body. He'd probably be a Mythic Rare if I were to update the set, but seeing as it's the largest set in the block, he wouldn't show up a lot in drafting, if at all. For constructed, he might be a tad slow.