LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block  (Read 21820 times)

May 27, 2010, 10:45:40 AM
Reply #15

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
Even with Saved From the Fire she is a huge advantage.

Advantage, yes, but not broken. But I still love her to show some new players the brokeness of some cards. ;)

Doesn't make sense, how can she be not broken, and then show off her brokeness at the same time..?

She is broken, whether used for SFTF or not. I will still play against people that do use her, but probably would not play against them again after seeing her used.

It was funny last night, I was watching a movie block game on gccg (King89 vs Smeagollum) and both of them (by random chance) were using her. :lol:

You misunderstood me. I wanted to say that she's not broken when you just use to burn her, but she's broken when you're using her discarding effect and that's how I use her to show newbies how the game went down after RotK.

May 27, 2010, 10:58:18 AM
Reply #16

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 10:58:18 AM »
I do not think so. Imagine, there are no shadow conditions or posession, or imagine Gorgoroth asassin with a site you control. Galadriel will die faster than you think!

The World final of 200? was an Emir deck that abuses Galadriel against besigers... he simple walk to the path doubling or tripling every time after site 4 or 5. Stand Against Darkness mine Sauron stuff, and besigers ithout condition or grond lost much of theior power.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:00:04 AM by Pepin The Breve »

June 28, 2010, 06:23:50 PM
Reply #17

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 06:23:50 PM »
I completely agree with the ban unless you happen to be playing against Corsairs (as someone already mentioned).  Without Galadriel LR, movie elves are toast.  I usually play an elven deck of some sort and I cannot count the number of times I've been trounced by unholy numbers of Corsair Marauders. 

Besides, what's with an enduring minion who exerts himself?  How come the Castamir gets such an amazing effect and yet the enduring Witch-King sucks?  Is there no equality in this world?

So basically my thoughts on the gentleman's agreement are this:  a true gentleman would tell me if  he was going to play Corsairs, and I would change my deck accordingly... :-)
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

June 28, 2010, 06:45:00 PM
Reply #18

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
LR counters corsairs, but she also destroys just about every shadow I can think of.
The best course, I think, would be to x-list Galadriel, and consider some errata for the corsairs.

June 28, 2010, 06:46:33 PM
Reply #19

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
I completely agree with the ban unless you happen to be playing against Corsairs (as someone already mentioned).  Without Galadriel LR, movie elves are toast.  I usually play an elven deck of some sort and I cannot count the number of times I've been trounced by unholy numbers of Corsair Marauders.  

Besides, what's with an enduring minion who exerts himself?  How come the Castamir gets such an amazing effect and yet the enduring Witch-King sucks?  Is there no equality in this world?

So basically my thoughts on the gentleman's agreement are this:  a true gentleman would tell me if  he was going to play Corsairs, and I would change my deck accordingly... :-)
Corsairs do not only crush Elves... What about Hobbits and Gondor? And by the way, once you have 15 events in your discard pile, Cirdan should be able to get rid of the Castamir.

June 28, 2010, 07:34:54 PM
Reply #20

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »

You misunderstood me. I wanted to say that she's not broken when you just use to burn her

I disagree. Name another free elf you can start with to burn...

June 28, 2010, 10:13:50 PM
Reply #21

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
I'd need a couple Cirdan cards first.  Plus a Derufin.  I bought a Galadriel LR back in the day because I was tired of losing to Corsairs.  Turned out to be the worst eight bucks I ever spent considering I got to use her in all of two games.
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

June 28, 2010, 11:21:10 PM
Reply #22

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
Elves are great in movie, with or without the Elf Witch. Pair them with Gandalf and you have everything. High vitality, high strength, conditiondiscard, possessiondiscard, healing, threatremoval, burdencontrol, direct wounding, all very well possible with the elves. They are madness!
Ban the Witch, or at least never play her when you play against me.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

June 29, 2010, 08:34:19 AM
Reply #23

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 08:34:19 AM »
Point taken.  But I'm talking about straight elven.  Gandalf can provide most of the things you mentioned to any culture.

-Dave Barry

June 29, 2010, 12:09:01 PM
Reply #24

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
Ban Gandalf. He's extremely irritating. Slowly, I started to change all my shadows to [Wraith] and run 4 copies of Too Great and Terrible in every deck. At least Galadriel can't fight. Over 90% decks run Gandalf. People have become too dependent on him. Waay too powerful because he has it all.

He can kill, he can help, he can heal, he can discard, he can bring back the dead, he can come back from the dead. And you think Galadriel, LR is bad?!? She is, but I hate Gandalf more. ;)

Galadriel, LR indeed has to be banned, but no more than Castamir. And I think that Grown Suddenly Tall, Roll of Thunder, Servant of the Secret Fire and Deep In Thought require a higher cost to play, like exert Gandalf. Well, Roll of Thunder can stay the way it is, but the others are too powerful and too cheap.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

June 29, 2010, 12:31:22 PM
Reply #25

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • If you want him, come and claim him!
    • Elrohir wants some cards
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »
Banning Galadriel damages the diversity. Gandalf is not too powerful, and Castamir is strong, but he is necessary.

Why not banning Frodo? He has 10 Resistance! - just kidding. Its ridiculous talking about banning Galadriel. it is a challenge for a small spectrum of deck types. Yes, but that is all.

You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore.

June 29, 2010, 02:01:46 PM
Reply #26

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 02:01:46 PM »
Ban Gandalf. He's extremely irritating. Slowly, I started to change all my shadows to [Wraith] and run 4 copies of Too Great and Terrible in every deck. At least Galadriel can't fight. Over 90% decks run Gandalf. People have become too dependent on him. Waay too powerful because he has it all.

He can kill, he can help, he can heal, he can discard, he can bring back the dead, he can come back from the dead. And you think Galadriel, LR is bad?!? She is, but I hate Gandalf more. ;)

Galadriel, LR indeed has to be banned, but no more than Castamir. And I think that Grown Suddenly Tall, Roll of Thunder, Servant of the Secret Fire and Deep In Thought require a higher cost to play, like exert Gandalf. Well, Roll of Thunder can stay the way it is, but the others are too powerful and too cheap.

Are you kidding me? You wanna ban the entire Gandalf culture or what?

June 29, 2010, 02:08:56 PM
Reply #27

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 02:08:56 PM »
Not banning Galadriel damages the culture balance and allow too powerful combos. What is teh only thing elves doesn't do without other culture support? Possession discard. Lady Redeemed allow them to do so in a pretty easy and almost unlimited way, i chalenge someone to show me a more reliable way to discard shadow possessions. She also allow discard condition and she does both without the need of specific cards to do so. You can use that pump you didnt need to choose with thing you like most at a given time. So essencialy she turns a "one effect event" in a "triple effect event" and she does so at Fellowship or Regroup phase, so doesn't matter if the shadow player don't play minions at all cause that will not prevent his/her stuff of being discarded while cycling freeps hand. She cost 0  #-o in starting fellowship.

But what annoys me the most is the ability that she give to turn very meta specific events like Stand Against Darkness, Curse Their Foul Feet! and Foul Creation into Very useful events, i.e. discard a condition or a possession.

For me Lady redeemed is the most huge mistake Decipher ever printed cause she is not banned for being part of a loop or something, only cause she is broken BY HERSELF. And the funny part is that she does all that stuff while making her best friend Cirdan more and more happy...

So a good deck with Lady Redeemed is unbeatable? Of course not, no deck is unbeatable, but she is far from being balanced cause she allows to make a deck that ruins the fun of 90% of the shadows.

June 29, 2010, 02:17:10 PM
Reply #28

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »
I think Pepin gets a :gp: for saying anything that I was going to add to this conversation.
-wtk

June 29, 2010, 02:19:18 PM
Reply #29

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »

Gandalf is an awesome character, and is very versatile, but he needs specific cards to done any of his stuff. What about 3 copies of Roll of Thunder against a shadow that doesnt use possessions? What if you draw Sleep Caradhras too early? Gandy have very powerful events but:
- He cost 4 (or 2 in the best case sacrificing his text)
- Need specific cards to do what he does
- He can't turn a pump into a "discard condition or possession" so if you put meta specific events and you don't face that matchup, its less room you have for other cards.
- He can't cycle evenst without the need of adding pool for them
   The general idea is: yes Gandy have very powerfull stuff but he will need a lot of room in your deck to do all the nasty stuff he can do, in other words he use space that could have been used for other cards and he doesnt have a Treebeard friend that "exert to do nasty stuff with all those events you just played".

I have lots of decks with gandy (i'm trying to build more deck without him), and i lost very often with many of them. They are not bad at all but i depend heavly on draw the right stuff. Many times it took too long to draw my discard condition or possession stuff while in a elven deck with LR with 15 events the odds of not drawing an event to discard a key shadow possession or condition when needed are very low.