LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block  (Read 21818 times)

May 25, 2010, 10:02:49 AM
Read 21818 times

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
How many people here think Galadriel Lady Redeemed should be on the Movie Block X-list?

Why or why not?

What are some negative consequences of allowing her?

What are some negative consequences of keeping her?

I am curious because I am running a Movie Block tournament during the SWCCG worlds weekend this year and we are debating whether or not to add Galadriel to the X-list for that event.

May 25, 2010, 10:07:11 AM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »
I would ban her for playablility. With her, you can be sure a lot of people will use her, which will lead to very meta related choices. Low on possessions/conditions on the shadow side, probably a lot of galadriel/cirdan action on the freeps side. That will lead to anti-decks and so on and so forth. Terrible as the Dawn in all decks, well you get the idea...so ban her!
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

May 25, 2010, 12:55:20 PM
Reply #2

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »
Well, it's nearly banned; whenever anybody on GCCG plays Lady Redeemed in Movie, I tell him to take another Deck and leave the game. Except for Smeagollum of course, who uses her just for SftF.

May 25, 2010, 01:53:29 PM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »
Even with Saved From the Fire she is a huge advantage.

But really, I don't think she should be officially banned because Decipher never did. But a gentlemen's agreement is a good call, like those that exist on GCCG (or my meta).
-wtk

May 25, 2010, 04:09:54 PM
Reply #4

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »
She is broken, and if she is allowed then the shadow you can use with sucess will be reduce by 80% just because of one single card that start at table at site 1.

And many people would run broken elves...

So for me it's more than apropriate to bane her.

May 26, 2010, 11:55:16 AM
Reply #5

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »

Advantage, yes, but not broken. But I still love her to show some new players the brokeness of some cards. ;)

May 26, 2010, 02:58:56 PM
Reply #6

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
Why don't we errata her?  we errataed FoA from set 18.  Change her text from a special ability to a "at the start of the phase..."
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

May 26, 2010, 04:30:12 PM
Reply #7

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 04:30:12 PM »
Why don't we errata her?  we errataed FoA from set 18.  Change her text from a special ability to a "at the start of the phase..."
'We' did not errataed FoA. Decipher did.

Anyway, from my point of view, the gentlemen's agreement applies even if you want to burn her. So Galadriel, LR is not allowed.

May 26, 2010, 04:42:26 PM
Reply #8

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »

Advantage, yes, but not broken. But I still love her to show some new players the brokeness of some cards. ;)

Doesn't make sense, how can she be not broken, and then show off her brokeness at the same time..?

She is broken, whether used for SFTF or not. I will still play against people that do use her, but probably would not play against them again after seeing her used.

It was funny last night, I was watching a movie block game on gccg (King89 vs Smeagollum) and both of them (by random chance) were using her. :lol:

May 26, 2010, 05:41:26 PM
Reply #9

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
It was funny last night, I was watching a movie block game on gccg (King89 vs Smeagollum) and both of them (by random chance) were using her.
If I would allow my opponent to use her and my opponent would allow me to use her as well, the chances of seeing her would be high. It's probably what happened there. It would probably be like this 50% of the time if it wasn't for the gentlemen's agreement.

May 26, 2010, 07:14:21 PM
Reply #10

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »
It was funny last night, I was watching a movie block game on gccg (King89 vs Smeagollum) and both of them (by random chance) were using her.
If I would allow my opponent to use her and my opponent would allow me to use her as well, the chances of seeing her would be high. It's probably what happened there. It would probably be like this 50% of the time if it wasn't for the gentlemen's agreement.
I asked them if they agreed to both use her before the game, they said no. It was a random case of them both being evil and playing broken LR decks.

May 26, 2010, 09:04:42 PM
Reply #11

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »
But really, I don't think she should be officially banned because Decipher never did. But a gentlemen's agreement is a good call, like those that exist on GCCG (or my meta).
-wtk

A gentleman's agreement won't really work for an official tournament.  Unless you say she is banned, you can't be upset when people play her.  That's why I'm trying to get feedback so I can decide whether to ban her or not for a specific tournament.

I'm intersted that everyone agrees that she's broken, but nobody has touched on one of my questions:

"What are some negative consequences of banning her?"

I think by banning her you definitely make it possible for a lot more shadows to be played, but you also take away the best counter for Corsairs and make them a lot stronger.  I don't know how many of you were playing between when Siege came out and Mt. Doom came out, but Corairs were ridiculous for a while and the one positive thing Galadriel Lady Broken did was to help tone them down by making Ships of Great Draught and Corsair War Galley a lot less reliable.

May 27, 2010, 06:09:42 AM
Reply #12

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 06:09:42 AM »
Corsairs are really powerfull, and the fact that they relly on possessions (which are far harder to discard) then on conditions makes them a big threat (to not speak about Castamir and Marauder).

But even so they are not broken. Roll of Thunder (That may be why 80% of my decks have Gandy), Arrow Slitz, BRC and the "splashable" Derufin are quite effective against them. Also Direct wounding decks kill the biggest guys before they ever imagine to do any evil stuff and some Gondor artifact based decks with biggers companions and pumps can be hard to stop.

Sadly Corsair destroy many kinds of decks, but not even close to the Lady Redemmed + Cirdan brokeness.

Just having her in a deck doesn't give you a certain victory (or lose if you opponent plays it) but it simple reduce many shadows to worthless cards played in order to get more freep cards to run. I played against  a deck with her these days and i won with a shadow kill, but i was playing one of the few decks i have that doesn't mind with her presence...

I would bane her to prevent that you may only see 2 or 3 types of shadow in the tourney, more diversity is more fun in my opinion.

May 27, 2010, 06:46:27 AM
Reply #13

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 06:46:27 AM »
I agree Galadriel is broken.  My biggest problem with her is that not only does she completely hose every shadow support area, but she does it with cards like Stand Against Darkness and Curse Their Foul Feet that can also hose other things when they aren't needed to discard to her text.  She makes those cards way too versatile.  If you want to play Stand or Curse that's fine, but being able to cycle them to kill any condition or possession in other match-ups removes any drawback to playing those cards.  All of that combined with the fact that you can start her for free just makes her ridiculous.

At the same time, I do think she served a purpose in that meta when she was released, but that purpose is far overshadowed by how overpowered she is.

May 27, 2010, 06:52:45 AM
Reply #14

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • If you want him, come and claim him!
    • Elrohir wants some cards
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 06:52:45 AM »
I do not think so. Imagine, there are no shadow conditions or posession, or imagine Gorgoroth asassin with a site you control. Galadriel will die faster than you think!
You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore.