LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block  (Read 21821 times)

July 01, 2010, 03:25:02 AM
Reply #45

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
Re: Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 03:25:02 AM »
If you remove cards like Grown Suddently Tall from the game, shadow sides will with conditions will be too strong. The two most condition-based shadows have cards to deal with that anyway, Dead Marshes for [Sauron] and Host of Moria for [Moria].

Saruman's Power is the best card you can use to get rid of The Shire Countryside x4. If you uwant to use it, it makes your deck weaker because you'll use less conditions and if you splash it somewhere else with Grima, it uses card slots that may not be useful at all during the game.

Yes, removing cards like Grown Suddenly Tall would do that, but replacing it with a more balanced condition removal, would not. For example, discard 2 shadow conditions or make a shadow player discard 4 of his conditions. The same would be good for Saruman's Power. The example you mentioned earlier, 4x Shire Countryside... don't you think that's way too imbalanced? Decks based on, e.g. Shire Countryside get destroyed by 1 card. It just makes people stop building fun decks and creates an inflation of too-much-seen boring, same decks.

It just takes the fun from it and fun is what it's all about. At least it should be. I agree about Galadriel, LR being much more powerful than Grown Suddenly Tall, but I think that Grown Suddenly Tall is too powerful still.

All conditions for the cost of 5 puny twilight? Sauron wounding just lost, Ninja Gollum just lost, Moria Swarm pretty much gone. It's too much to come from just 1 card.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

July 01, 2010, 03:27:39 AM
Reply #46

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 03:27:39 AM »
oh, no it starts again... just don't use LR. Movie Block is cool as it is. Don't change it. I like discussing some strategies, but just leave Movie Block as it is.

Amen.

The problelm with this is that if you are running a tournament, there really can't be a "gentlemen's agreement."  Either a card is legal for a tournament or it isn't.  If a card isn't banned, then it is perfectly legal for a tournament and there is no recourse if someone plays that card.  That's the whole reason I brought this up, since I am running an official tournament (the one at SW worlds).  We decided to go ahead and officially ban her for that specific tournament.

For a casual game or playgroup, a "gentlemen's agreement" is fine.
The fact that you cannot have a gentlemen's agreement in a tournament is not a problem. The tournament host is there to set the rules. If people are unhappy with these rules, they can stay home. You did the right thing by banning her because the majority of players on this forum probably wants her banned anyway.

July 01, 2010, 11:28:56 AM
Reply #47

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »
4x Shire Countryside... don't you think that's way too imbalanced? Decks based on, e.g. Shire Countryside get destroyed by 1 card.

That's the danger of building your deck around one card/combination.
-wtk

July 01, 2010, 01:29:57 PM
Reply #48

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
I agree with ket.  Conditions are meant to be dynamic, which is why they tend to have such strong effects.  You have to balance the advantages of having four copies of Shire Countryside, against the risk of losing them all to Saruman's power.

As for Galadriel,  my understanding of the reason it's not officially banned is because of it's necessity against certain decktypes.  My "gentleman's agreement" would include her and Corsair Marauder, since I believe they are meant to negate each other.

You guys talk about having to build all your minion sides with Galadriel in mind, and I totally agree that she destroys the game as we know it.  But in movie all the freeps sides are built with Corsairs in mind, although I admit that Castamir and friends are not as versatile as LR.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

July 01, 2010, 07:27:26 PM
Reply #49

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 07:27:26 PM »
Ah, I remember better days. Like, back when Standard was sets 1-7.

Those were the days.
-wtk

July 02, 2010, 03:42:57 AM
Reply #50

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 03:42:57 AM »
That's the danger of building your deck around one card/combination.
-wtk

The same could be said about Galadriel, LR. That's the danger of building you deck around conditions/possessions.

I agree, but I still think it's too much for that danger coming from only 1 card. If it said: "Exert an [Isengard] minion to discard 2 Free Peoples conditions" it would've been much more balanced. However, there is no point in arguing, seeing as things won't change, so we just have to adapt. And Galadriel, LR is allowed, no matter how broken she is, so just keep building your decks and try to have as much fun as possible.

Trade List (TLHH)

July 02, 2010, 11:13:28 AM
Reply #51

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
So Gerontius and I, after much breast-beating, gnashing of teeth, and angry arm-waving, decided upon our own personal errata:

2-Cost: Galadriel, Lady Redeemed
To play spot 2 elves. 
Fellowship: Exert Galadriel twice to discard a shadow possession or condition.

What do you guys think?
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

July 02, 2010, 12:01:31 PM
Reply #52

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 12:01:31 PM »
She still needs to cost [3], in my opinion. For consistency's sake.
-wtk

July 02, 2010, 03:23:54 PM
Reply #53

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • If you want him, come and claim him!
    • Elrohir wants some cards
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
She still needs to cost [3], in my opinion. For consistency's sake.
-wtk
:P

Add: Fellowship or Regroup: Exert Galadriel, and discard.... I would agree for such a ruling, if people do not like my Galadriel in movie.

Do not forget: she is an mighty Character in Middleearth. :)

And she has anyway bad strength values.
You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore.

July 03, 2010, 04:03:20 AM
Reply #54

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2010, 04:03:20 AM »
Yeah, just for consistency sake, Galadriel is the last of the high Kings of the Noldor, and one of the mightiest character in Middle-Earth, only Gandalf, Sauron, and maybe Saruman could stand agaisnt her power.

July 03, 2010, 09:52:41 AM
Reply #55

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
Yeah, just for consistency sake, Galadriel is the last of the high Kings of the Noldor, and one of the mightiest character in Middle-Earth, only Gandalf, Sauron, and maybe Saruman could stand agaisnt her power.

And Tom Bombadil in his woods. ;)

Trade List (TLHH)

July 03, 2010, 10:21:32 AM
Reply #56

Pepi

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2010, 10:21:32 AM »
And possibly the other 3 istari.

July 05, 2010, 04:24:53 PM
Reply #57

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »
The fact that you cannot have a gentlemen's agreement in a tournament is not a problem. The tournament host is there to set the rules. If people are unhappy with these rules, they can stay home. You did the right thing by banning her because the majority of players on this forum probably wants her banned anyway.

I just wanted to reiterate this, and give c10ckw0rk a :gp: for elegantly stating what everyone should already think. She doesn't need to be banned in non-competitive Movie Block play, but when it comes to tournaments, it is the discretion of the host to make the call.
-wtk

July 05, 2010, 05:51:20 PM
Reply #58

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »
She doesn't need to be banned in non-competitive Movie Block play, but when it comes to tournaments, it is the discretion of the host to make the call.
If she isn't ban, the two most popular cards of the tournament may very well be Terrible as the dawn and Galadriel, LR.

July 05, 2010, 06:16:53 PM
Reply #59

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
I run Terrible As the Dawn in any deck that has [Sauron] cards in it. Better safe than sorry. Plus, it is fun if you grab it early against Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom.
-wtk