LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Article Feedback  (Read 31162 times)

November 18, 2015, 11:41:36 AM
Reply #135

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Article Feedback
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »
Good points! There's so much to say about Gandalf, BoO - he might be a difficult RB to use, but I do think it's a very interesting card. Wrote article for Gwemegil.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

November 18, 2015, 11:52:40 AM
Reply #136

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »
With Bow of the Galadhrim, he's also strong against minions that require vitality to exert. Added those points.
I know I haven't edited anything in the Wiki, but for the sake of the article, I think that Bow of the Galadhrim is strong against minions that require vitality to exert. There is hardly a difference between any of the Fellowship block Legolas cards, unless skirmishing a Nazgul.

I think you could just as easily note that the Legolas is really good against a swarm if you happen to play Dismay of Our Enemies and have already won the skirmish and there isn't any twilight in the pool. Just seems disingenuous to the article at hand. Commenting on commonly used combinations, of course, makes sense, but the articles become bogged down if you say, "Aragorn, Heir to the White City is a great card especially when you put Ranger's Sword and Flaming Brand and No Stranger to the Shadows and The Last Alliance of Elves and Men and four copies of Athelas on him."
-wtk

November 19, 2015, 06:06:19 PM
Reply #137

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »
Good points! There's so much to say about Gandalf, BoO - he might be a difficult RB to use, but I do think it's a very interesting card. Wrote article for Gwemegil.
Yes, Gandy RB has the worst of all penalties but is still one of the mightiest companions ever printed, because he's Gandy (and now is ringbound, immune to many nasty tricks!). You just need to build a part of your deck in order to counter the burden penalty, or most of the deck to counter the discard penalty, the choice is in your hands. That's all.

Gwemegil's damage bonus is very unusual among the [Elven] culture. AFAIK only Erethon can also gain damage, and that regards all [Elven] cards in all sets. Added that, and the weakness to Troop of Uruk-Hai (the skirmish ability is negated too by that Uruk).

About those 3 versions of Frodo:

- Old Bilbo's Heir: gives another Gandalf signet for TMAYOD decks, and Gandalf's Wisdom replaces Reluctant Adventurer's choke skill. Anduin Confluence should be in his Weak vs list.
- Son of Drogo: his skill is very useful with pipe decks. You can pile up his wounds on another wounded companion with Frodo's signet, and then Frodo's Pipe will heal those wounds using 1 pipeweed instead of 2.
- Reluctant Adventurer: awesome with These Are My People, replaying all your Brace of Coneys for no twilight. That's pretty insane with TSC healing the whole fellowship, absorbing those 2 exertions of Aragorn and much more.

Added all those points.

I know I haven't edited anything in the Wiki, but for the sake of the article, I think that Bow of the Galadhrim is strong against minions that require vitality to exert. There is hardly a difference between any of the Fellowship block Legolas cards, unless skirmishing a Nazgul.

@Ket: "And an Armor". You have a good point there and your voice is welcome here. But that idea doesn't apply on Prince of Mirkwood's article, because that mention isn't bloating the narrated paragraphs (it's a sole line in the "Strong vs" list). The point with that Legolas is that with merely the Long Knives of Legolas he's a powerful fighter against all FOTR block cultures, so he'll be winning a lot of skirmishes, allowing the Bow to trigger almost always you want. The Knives and that particular Legolas make the Bow reliable against all possible Shadow decks (except a full tentacles deck, but has anyone ever seen a tentacle deck in FOTR block? Btw, what a shame), thus Prince of Mirkwood has a combo with Bow of the Galadhrim that no other FOTR block Legolas has.

That's very important when designing a deck. Also, often non-Nazgul decks pack some splashed Nazgul like Nertea MoDG or Shotgun Enquea, so his skill is also useful against Moria/Stupid Swarm, Moria Archery, Uruk, Sauron Grind/Corruption... decks if they pack such splashs.

For obvious combos not related to an intrinsic mechanism of the card (like HttWC bearing an Armor or Ranger's Sword, in contrast to Aragorn RotN bearing a Coat of Mail), your counsel is correct and very welcome.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

November 20, 2015, 05:39:10 AM
Reply #138

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2015, 05:39:10 AM »
I understand where you are coming from. I just worry about too much information being posited in the Encyclopedia. I think that natural combinations should be included and maybe there could be a section of "cards eligible to bear" and a link to the signet page for signet combos, etc. I just think, considering there are only three possessions that Legolas can bear in Fellowship block, suggesting that he is a boss when including Bow of the Galadhrim seems superfluous.

And for what it is worth, I run a tentacle deck in Fellowship Block that is 11 wins/4 losses on Gemp through 15 games. Admittedly, though, only three of those were site 4 kills.
-wtk

November 20, 2015, 07:50:37 AM
Reply #139

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2015, 07:50:37 AM »
I would follow-up with this thought on the idea of "natural combinations" versus "simple combinations."

The example I would use is Gandalf, Manager of Wizards. His text creates a natural combination with Forearmed or Galadriel, Keeper of Nenya, as you can place cards on top of your draw deck in a preferred order, then use the other cards for skirmishes pumping.

Shadowfax or Gandalf's Staff, however, would be a "simple combination." It's a card that plays on Gandalf, Manager of Wizards, but it would also play on, say, Gandalf, The Grey Pilgrim (or any other Gandalf, for that matter). The fact that Gandalf's Staff can cancel a skirmish to get you out of a bind isn't an intrinsic value of Gandalf, Manager of Wizards, and playing Shadowfax on Gandalf, Manager of Wizards to help Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark doesn't add anything regarding the value of the Gandalf card in question.

An example of this would be the current build of the article for Legolas, Greenleaf. To quote directly:

Strong Versus...
Minions with only 1 vitality (And no wound prevention)
Orthanc Champion
Easterling Lieutenant and Easterling Guard
Goblin Runner
Bill Ferny, SSF
Lieutenant of Orthanc
Moria Archer Troop (Kill other archers to prevent spotting requirement)

Weak Versus...
The Balrog, Durin's Bane (Or any Balrog with Fill with Fear)
Saruman, Keeper of Isengard
Goblin Armory
Hides
Broad-Bladed Sword
Cave Troll's Chain
Spies of Saruman
Shelob (Any version)
Isengard Warg-riders

I might argue that this is too specific.
Natural Match-Ups and Combinations:
- Complementary with Aragorn's Bow, Gondor Bowmen, and other pre-skirmish wounding cards
- Strong Match-Up versus low-vitality minions
- Strong Match-Up versus minions with exert-to-activate text

Poor Match-Ups:
- The Balrog, Durin's Bane
- Cards that skip the archery phase such as Fill With Fear or Spies of Saruman
- High-Vitality Minions (such as Shelob or Isengard Warg-Riders)
- Enduring Minions (such as Shelob)
- Wound Prevention (such as Hides, High Vantage, or Saruman, Keeper of Isengard)
- Direct wounding (such as Hate or Relentless Charge)
- Healing Prevention (such as Black Breath)

I don't think it is the job of the Wiki to spell out every single combination for players. I saw Lieutenant of Orthanc listed on the Legolas, Greenleaf page and can understand the connection; however, I think it adds too much unnecessary detail. Citing Bill Ferny, Swarthy, Sneering Fellow or Easterling Lieutenant on Legolas, Greenleaf's page does not seem necessary; however, mentioning directed pre-skirmish wounding such as Legolas, Greenleaf on Bill or the Easterling's page is only natural.

I'd like to see a more generic, while still factual, approach.
-wtk
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:55:50 AM by ket_the_jet »

November 22, 2015, 08:53:39 AM
Reply #140

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »
Citing Bill Ferny, Swarthy, Sneering Fellow or Easterling Lieutenant on Legolas, Greenleaf's page does not seem necessary; however, mentioning directed pre-skirmish wounding such as Legolas, Greenleaf on Bill or the Easterling's page is only natural.

I'm not sure I understand this, isn't it just the same thing but on a different page?

Looking at Greenleaf's page, I can see you do make a good point. I've tried revamping the structure of his strengths and weaknesses - let me know if you think that looks better. Since the titles Strengths and Weaknesses are part of the template, I can't really change those.

I agree with you on the Gandalf's Staff example; there's no need to really mention that on Gandalf's page unless one particular version gets more benefit than others (Which is why Prince of Mirkwood gets references to LKoL and BotG when Greenleaf doesn't) I do try to avoid 'simple combinations' as you call them, although naturally sometimes stuff can slip through. One that was bothering me a while ago was relating to Faramir - 3 versions of him are Ring-Bound and thus immune to stuff like Grima, Wormtongue. The rest aren't. But is it worth saying that every Ring-Bound version of Faramir is immune to Grima? It's certainly not worth saying it for every ring-bound companion. And yet I feel like Faramir benefits more than most from being Ring-Bound - I guess because he's also a strong fighter.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

November 23, 2015, 04:07:35 AM
Reply #141

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2015, 04:07:35 AM »
For a Ring-Bound Faramir strength, I might say something in the narrative about being Ring-Bound and avoiding cards that target unbound companions, such as Over the Isen or Grima, Wormtongue.

In the 'strengths' section, you could simply mention that he is Ring-Bound.

Legolas, Greenleaf looks a lot cleaner, but might still benefit from a little bit of work. But much improved. I might add a 'natural combination' or 'strength' being his ability to combine with Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark or We Left None Alive. In this case, specifically citing the card--it is out of culture--makes sense. This would suffice:

- Creates a natural combination with Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark and similar [Rohan] strategies
-wtk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:12:22 AM by ket_the_jet »

November 23, 2015, 07:32:07 AM
Reply #142

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2015, 07:32:07 AM »
You mean synergy ;)

November 23, 2015, 08:43:09 AM
Reply #143

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2015, 08:43:09 AM »
I miss the :gp: days of these forums. Synergy--exactly.
-wtk

November 24, 2015, 09:51:44 AM
Reply #144

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2015, 09:51:44 AM »
Added the point to the strategy, wrote article for News of Mordor and cleaned up the strengths and weakness of Lurtz's Battle Cry using the same method (Since News of Mordor references it).

EDIT: Wrote article for Hill Clan too.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:09:53 PM by Dictionary »

November 25, 2015, 09:07:43 AM
Reply #145

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »
Wrote article for Sam, Proper Poet.

November 28, 2015, 09:47:39 AM
Reply #146

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »
Is Hobbit Appetite really that bad? 1 twilight for 1 heal is fairly cheap; it beats Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith and Have Patience, and it allows you to wipe out any and all burdens when used on Sam, SoH.  I appreciate that it's not a permanent, but its twilight cost of X makes it more versatile if anything and less likely to clog a hand.  And as you said, one can easily use HttWC or Sting to remove the twilight it made.

November 29, 2015, 05:19:43 AM
Reply #147

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2015, 05:19:43 AM »
Did Ford of Bruinen. I said the card was used in almost all Nazgul decks, I might change that if people think that's not the case. I assume it can be combined with Morgul Gates, although I've never actually tried it, so I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify that too. Also added strengths and weaknesses to the Morgul Gates article.

November 29, 2015, 06:05:54 AM
Reply #148

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2015, 06:05:54 AM »
Did Ford of Bruinen. I said the card was used in almost all Nazgul decks, I might change that if people think that's not the case. I assume it can be combined with Morgul Gates, although I've never actually tried it, so I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify that too. Also added strengths and weaknesses to the Morgul Gates article.
If you play Morgul Gates and the Witch-King, he would cost [1] at Ford of Bruinen. You are correct that the site is almost exclusively used in Nazgul decks.
-wtk

November 30, 2015, 08:30:08 AM
Reply #149

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2015, 08:30:08 AM »
Thanks. Article up for Green Hill Country.