LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Article Feedback  (Read 31152 times)

February 20, 2016, 11:21:06 AM
Reply #180

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
Re: Article Feedback
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »
Agree on the Twilight keyword. It's a shame they made those decisions really, (I believe the lack of Battlegrounds in ROTK was a similar issue) - I think they spoiled the game a little bit.
Exactly! Most ROTK sites should have been battlegrounds. But then there would be more battlegrounds than in TTT block! I believe that scared them a bit:

Sites that should be Battleground:
1.- Isengard Ruined* (that's before Uruk Camp in TTT!)
2.- All sites 2, except for West Road
3.- All sites 3, except for The Dimholt
4.- All sites 4
5.- All sites 5, except for Steward's Tomb*
6 to 7.- All sites 6 & 7
8.- All, except perhaps for Northern Ithilien and Cross Roads
9.- Again, all sites 9.

Anyway, that's of little importance as the new minions were much more powerful than battleground Uruks. So the only thing they did was to spoil a previous culture #-o...

Wrote article for Barrow-Wight Stalker. [Wraith] Wraiths are a bit tricky to do because they're all so similar - as you pointed out BNaP is good for all of them.
That's not totally true. BNaP needs 2 exertions, and the Dagorlad Wraiths (Dead Faces, Covetous Wisp & Candle Corpses) cannot exert twice. Other cards like DSS, FitF and Houses of Healing Houses of Lamentation, those are useful for all small and large [Wraith] Wraiths.

So you can have a template for Barrow Wights, and other for Dagorlad Wraiths, depending on their respective advantages and goals.

It's particularly good for the Stalker because it can't do anything else with its vitality (And has 4 vitality), so added it there. Not sure if it should go on the other pages too, or perhaps that's too repetitive (Reminds me of Ket's point about natural synergies.)
Similarly, the other cards like Dark Swooping Shadows and Flung into the Fray risk having the same problem. I added them to the Stalker's page for the moment - perhaps each wraith should mention different cards that work on [Wraith] minions?
I don't think it would be useless, or even too repetitive. Those are only 6 cards, and Set 16 doesn't have a single support card for those 6 minions. So to beginners, it will be a pleasure to not be forced to search for every possible [Wraith] card that affects not Nazgul nor [Wraith] Orcs, but every [Wraith] minion.

Other mighty cards in that respect are Otsea LoM and Gates of the Dead City.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:53:19 AM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

February 21, 2016, 07:35:49 AM
Reply #181

jonpgale

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2016, 07:35:49 AM »
Hi, I'm new here and just noticed that there is a card missing from the promotional list - or I've just missed it with maybe where I'm looking?

0P16 is Listed as Promotional but not as Foil.

There are 2 different version of 0P16 one standard and one Foil version.

Is this / should this be listed somewhere?

February 21, 2016, 06:18:26 PM
Reply #182

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2016, 06:18:26 PM »
As far as I know, we only list foil versions apart from non-foils if it has a different card number (i.e. Legends/Masterworks in the later sets).  Otherwise, sets 1-8 and 10 would need a separate list of all their cards as foils.

That being said, 0Ps are a little different in that some were printed foil only, some were non-foil only, and some were both.  My recommendation is to put a note on the card's page saying what version(S) that card had.  I know that 0P16, 0P17, 0P18, and 0P22 all have foil and non-foil versions.  I don't know if there were any others.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

February 24, 2016, 09:44:21 AM
Reply #183

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »
@DurinsHeir: It's a real shame though, personally I find the ROTK site path a bit bland, especially since many of the sites all trigger off the same thing...

Wrote an article for Covetous Wisp. I know its ability costs twilight, so I guess stuff like Ambush would help there, but I don't know whether that's worth mentioning.

Where did the images for the Wights actually come from? They kinda look like artwork rather than film pictures, but they're cool nonetheless.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

February 24, 2016, 10:14:03 AM
Reply #184

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2016, 10:14:03 AM »
The [Sauron] and [Wraith] Dagorlad Wights (that is, from set 6 and 16 respectively) appear in the Two Towers film. Only the Barrow Wights are artwork effectively, and have that cricket symbol in the lower right corner to represent that (just like Radagast or Tom Bombadil).
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

February 24, 2016, 10:21:43 AM
Reply #185

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »
Ah I see. Thanks for the info :)

Wrote article for The Choice of Luthien.

EDIT: A Host Avails Little
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:12:13 AM by Dictionary »
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

February 25, 2016, 09:54:19 AM
Reply #186

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »

February 25, 2016, 10:26:20 AM
Reply #187

Dmessy

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Ok guys so I just did Troll's Keyward but this is my first one so please give me some feedback and tell me how to improve it. Thanks!
I think something should go here.

February 25, 2016, 10:57:24 AM
Reply #188

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
Ok guys so I just did Troll's Keyward but this is my first one so please give me some feedback and tell me how to improve it. Thanks!

Original text:
Troll's Keyward is a very specific card that is only used in specific decks. Typically, Moria orcs are used in swarm decks, however, Troll's Keyward is not very useful in a swarm deck as it costs 3 and doesn't have a special ability to help get more minions on the table. As a result, Troll's Keyward's is almost exclusively used with Cave Troll of Moria. Usually, one would carry several copies of each card in a deck order to play them both frequently. The only other use for Troll's Keyward would be to absorb pesky archery wounds as only a few Moria orcs (beside Goblin Flankers and Goblin Patrol Troop) have more than one vitality while Troll's Keyward has three. Of course not only can he absorb archery wounds but he can also exert; letting players use What is this New Devilry, or Through the Misty Mountains if one had a reason to.

Troll's Keyward is a very specific card that is only used in specific decks Redundant text. Typically, Moria orcs are used in swarm decks,(semicolon here, not comma) however, Troll's Keyward is not very useful in a swarm deck as it costs 3 and doesn't have a special ability to help get more minions on the table. Troll's Keyward actually is helpful for several reasons in Swarm...higher vitality, ability to use Moria Axe, etc. As a result, Troll's Keyward's is almost exclusively used with Cave Troll of Moria I would argue against exclusivity. But yes, mentioning the synergy is a key point in the article. Usually, one would carry several copies of each card in a deck order to play them both frequently. The onlyAnother use for Troll's Keyward would be to absorb pesky archery wounds as only a few Moria orcs (beside Goblin Flankers and Goblin Patrol Troop don't forget Moria Scout, Guard Commander, Ancient Chieftain, and Host of Moria, Legion of the Underdeeps if you are going to list them all, or you can just say something like, "besides minions such as...") have more than one vitality while Troll's Keyward has three. Of course not only can he absorb archery wounds but he can also exert; letting players use What is this New Devilry, Moria Axe, or Through the Misty Mountains if one had a reason to.

_____________________________ _____________________________ __________

I have mostly rewritten the article with most of your base points, dmessy. I don't intend to sound like a stickler, by any means. I hope I don't sound brutal and it's nice to have new people helping out.

Sorry I haven't been helping out with the wiki as much recently gang. Cheers,
-wtk
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:18:45 AM by ket_the_jet »

February 25, 2016, 12:28:30 PM
Reply #189

Dmessy

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2016, 12:28:30 PM »
Great info thanks ket the jet. That's exactly what I want to hear. I'll probably write an article or two now and then. However, I'm not as familiar with the game as you or Dictionary so you may have to clean them up somewhat. On another note, I still wouldn't use Troll's Keyward in a swarm deck. ;D Thanks again.

February 25, 2016, 12:44:47 PM
Reply #190

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2016, 12:44:47 PM »
Welcome Dmessy. There are never too many hands here!

Ket's points are true, nevertheless. The revised article seems very well. Except for one point: it's not true that Troll's Keyward is weak to high strength companions, as far as he bears a Moria Axe. Exerting twice = 14 str, dmg+1! Plus Dark Places, oh my... I know that's a 2-card combo, but he is meant to use the Moria Axe:

If your only goal is to play the Cave Troll, Goblin Runner is a much better option (Troll + Runner = 9 twilight; Troll + Keyward = 11 twilight). Cave Troll's Chain is better for archery protection too. Thus, the only real point in using the Keyward is to make him wield an Axe, and tear a companion's skull apart! ;). I usually pack 3x (besides 4x Scimitars), it works wonders.

Other 2 points to add:
- Works very well with Goblin Swarms. Just like Flankers and Patrol Troop, he's almost guaranteed to win a skirmish (if bearing the Axe).
- Troubled Mountains can use his vitality too. That's a great card for [Moria] burden decks based on Must Do Without Hope and/or Goblin Spear (btw, the Spear is a really viable burden machine when helped by Frenzy; such combo kills Boromir+Horn / Sam SoH / Greenleaf and gives you 1 or 2 burdens in the meanwhile!). Or for Sauron/Moria decks. Or LttG decks, but those usually have the extra vitality of Moria Scout or Moria Archer Troop to dispose.

Added such points. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:00:03 PM by Durin's Heir »

February 25, 2016, 01:51:25 PM
Reply #191

Dmessy

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2016, 01:51:25 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the info Durin's Heir!

February 25, 2016, 02:03:58 PM
Reply #192

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »

February 25, 2016, 04:48:26 PM
Reply #193

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2016, 04:48:26 PM »
Made a couple of minor changes, mostly just fixing links and grammar. Good article :)

February 26, 2016, 11:38:56 AM
Reply #194

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »
- Covetous Wisp: I've never tried, seen, nor read about it, but Covetous Wisp (and the other 2 [Wraith] Dagorlad Wights) should work well with Stooping to the Kill. If the FP player doesn't assign it, it'll be just like Bill Ferny SSF: a strength +4 aid, dmg+1 also if you have initiative (very perilous, as Stooping will make the other [Wraith] Wraith dmg+1 too). More Unbearable, Feel His Blade and Unhindered should help you to get initiative.

The main difference with Ferny is that the Dagorlad Wights need another Wraith on the board, so they can't be splashed to get such effect. Besides, pre-skirmish wounding (in absense of Spirit of Dread) can kill either that Covetous Wisp or the other Wraith supporting its skill.

Considering Bill Ferny SSF is banned R-listed in Expanded, Covetous Wisp might be the closest thing available for [Wraith] decks.

EDIT: Added the combo of Unhindered / Stooping to the Kill to Ferny SSF's article. And Caras Galadhon as a weakness.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:05:40 PM by Durin's Heir »