LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Article Feedback  (Read 31159 times)

February 26, 2016, 06:10:31 PM
Reply #195

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Article Feedback
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2016, 06:10:31 PM »
@DurinsHeir: Thanks, added Stooping to the Kill to Covetous Wisp, will probably mention that on Dead Faces as well. Bill Ferny, SSF is only R-listed in Expanded format according to Gemp though.

Wrote article for Golden Light on the Land.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

February 26, 2016, 08:51:16 PM
Reply #196

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #196 on: February 26, 2016, 08:51:16 PM »
"Notes:  Lists: ERL". You are right! It's stated on the Wiki article too. #-o Sorry. :-[

It's still unreliable being a sole card in the whole deck. But the info I added is not accurate, so it had to be corrected. Thank you!

Yes, Dead Faces should have it present. Perhaps Candle Corpses too, but having a str 8 self-assignable minion running unchecked seems enough to not evade its skill, there's little need of a damage bonus to scare the FP player.

That initiative-dependant combo can be used along with 2 other initiative-dependant cards: Gollum Plotting Deceiver and Let Her Deal With Them. So you can have a dmg+2 (!) Bill Ferny, aiding a dmg+2 Nazgûl, if you have initiative during the Shadow phase and remove [4] (to play Gollum and 2x LHDWT from discard pile). Use Saved From the Fire to burn Smeagol and get 1x Plotting Deceiver (or Captured by the Ring) and 2x LHDWT from the very start... :twisted:

Should that combo be added to Ferny's article? I believe it's too dense and long. But the combo of Plotting Deceiver + LHDWT (+ SftF perhaps) should be present in those [Gollum] cards' articles I guess...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:18:52 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

February 28, 2016, 05:21:57 PM
Reply #197

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2016, 05:21:57 PM »
Did a major update to Elven Bow**'s article. Added many combos, strengths and weaknesses.

Cleared the article of Ranged Weapons. The article is a copy of the one for Hand Weapons, apparently as a template of reference, but wasn't worked. For instance, it didn't listed a single Ranged weapon, but instead all Hand weapons. I fixed that, and removed from the lists all cards that refer to "hand weapons" instead of ranged weapons, or merely "weapons".

But that's only a little part of what it really needs. Needs to fix the narrative too, and the 2 other lists: "Cards that support Ranged Weapons" and "Cards that counter Ranged Weapons". In the first list, Naith Elves come to mind (but didn't add them added them). Added Fill With Fear and They Will Never Stop Hunting You to the second.

We must note that all texts that refer to a "weapon" and not to a "hand weapon", those must be listed as long as they have any card to affect. For instance, [Moria] Goblin Scavengers plays any [Moria] weapon from discard, but there isn't a single [Moria] ranged weapon to play, so it mustn't be included.

Other important point is that there isn't a single Ranged Weapon artifact, all are possessions. So they all are weak to possession hate.

EDIT: Added Naith Elves and Grond to the Ranged Weapons article.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:56:46 AM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

February 29, 2016, 09:35:50 AM
Reply #198

Dmessy

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #198 on: February 29, 2016, 09:35:50 AM »
Just did Uruk Messenger. Doctor it up in any way needed.
I think something should go here.

February 29, 2016, 10:02:04 AM
Reply #199

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #199 on: February 29, 2016, 10:02:04 AM »
Very nice article Dmessy :) I tweaked the last sentence a bit, adding Saruman, KoI to prevent wounds. Also removed the empty Example Decks and similar brackets.

@DurinsHeir: I agree, I think that combo should go on the [gollum] cards. Will aim to get them done in the near future so we don't forget. You've reminded me of an important point with the Elven Bow: do you think it would be better to talk about Fellowship strategies on the Fellowship version, and The Two Towers on The Two Towers version, or should we have all of the strategies on the Fellowship version and then have the other versions reference that card (Like what was done for cards such as Gimli, Son of Gloin (P))? I prefer the latter personally.

That ranged weapon article looks interesting, I'll try and take a look at it soon and add any combos I can think of.

EDIT: Going by what's on the Hand Weapon page, it seems only cards that specifically reference "Hand Weapons" and occasionally "Weapons" have been listed, which wouldn't leave many options for the Ranged Weapons page because Ranged Weapons are not referenced very often. For example, Grond counters almost all support cards, but isn't listed on the Hand Weapon counters, because it doesn't specifically mention weapons.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:30:24 PM by Dictionary »
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

February 29, 2016, 02:11:18 PM
Reply #200

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #200 on: February 29, 2016, 02:11:18 PM »
@Dmessy: Cool article. I see very little that might be added. In Movie block, you lose access to Saruman KoI's protection, but you get access to Gollum (high vitality) and 2 of his tricks: Sweeter Meats and Final Strike. Perhaps that's worth mentioning, or perhaps not. Final Strike helps to prevent directed arrows, but will also shield you against Vilya.

@Dictionary: Yes, there are very little cards that refer to "ranged weapons" specifically. But those that refer to any "weapon" and can interact with "ranged weapons" that suit their specifications, those cards must be included. Cantea, LoDG and Stricken Dumb are examples, and are present both the Hand weapon and the Ranged weapon articles.

The Hand weapon article mentions only cards that refer to "weapons" or "hand weapons", but should list Grond HotU too as it counters any non-companion FP card. The Wiki is meant to help beginners and those with less knowlegde, to them that info will be very valuable.

That article has many errors and unnecessary info. I don't take it as an ideal reference, just as a template of what has been done before (apparently was made by a machine mostly). For instance Hand Axe, Flaming Brand and The Balrog's Sword are listed as "Cards that support Hand Weapons" only because can be borne with another hand weapon #-o. I'll list them as a separate category: "Hand Weapons that can be borne with another Hand Weapon", or something similar. Another error: Isengard Axe says "when you play this weapon, add [1]" and for that superficial wording was included as a "card that supports hand weapons" :-?. Anduril FotW is meantioned as a card that supports hand weapons, but counters yours in fact...

The article lists 1st the "support cards", 2nd the "counter cards", and 3rd the real "hand weapon possession / artifacts" appear. That's another mistake, which makes it much harder to read.

Some "Cards that support possession weapons" can be listed too, in a separate list. That includes Armory and Ecglaf, or Gamling Warrior of Rohan and Rohirrim Scout. Or Sword Rack, Simbelmyne, even These Are My People... Those form very devastating engines to work with weapons (but the only sin they commit is to mention "possessions" instead of "weapons"). Those should be mentioned for the sake of beginners and curious deckbuilders. Which is the goal of the Wiki, I think. ;)

Copy-pasters have the posts on "Lothlórien" to read, that's more than enough for them. :lol:

All in all, we must reform those articles. I'll try to work on those points mentioned. And thanks for the feedback!! ;D

EDIT: Worked all points mentioned on Hand Weapons, except creating the new lists of "Cards that support Possession Hand Weapons" and "Cards that counter Possession Hand Weapons".

- Elven Bow I think the same. The FOTR Elven Bow** should be the only with a narration and Strong/Weak vs lists. If we split it into each format's reprint, readers may not get important information they are searching for, if they click on the link of a version of another format. Besides, it's much simpler. ;)

Yes, Gimli Son of Gloin (P) is a good example!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:55:06 PM by Durin's Heir »

March 01, 2016, 05:54:29 PM
Reply #201

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2016, 05:54:29 PM »
To the Ranged Weapons article, added all [Rohan] cards that interact with possessions (because all Ranged Weapons are possessions). The list got a bit bulky, will have to include classifications to make that info easier to understand and use.

March 02, 2016, 10:30:27 AM
Reply #202

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
Updated all Elven Bow and Hobbit Sword articles with the appropriate reference message, using Gimli, Son of Gloin (P) as a base (or Frodo, Mr. Underhill as a base in the case of Elven Bow*). Also mentioned Little Golden Flower on the Hobbit Sword article.

@Durin's Heir: I really like your analysis :). So, would you say that Glorfindel, Eldarin Lord is a counter to Hand Weapons? He works against all possessions, but with many Hand Weapons adding strength, it would seem to fit into the scope of the article. Also, what about cards that reduce the archery total (Such as Great Shield)? Are these counters to Ranged Weapons? Many Ranged Weapons make their bearer an archer, and some (such as Southron Bow) have archery related text, while others such as Bow of the Galadhrim actually have nothing to do with archery :-|

March 02, 2016, 03:03:21 PM
Reply #203

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2016, 03:03:21 PM »
Great work for Hobbit Sword! =D> You missed the Set 11 version of Hobbit Sword*. Changed it, the way you did with Set 4 Elven Bow* ('cause its rarity is "S" instead of "C").

Little Golden Flower is a nice card for many strange combos. Can add vitality to allies! With Melilot Brandybuck is a strange way to counter burdens (Melilot works very well protecting Spirit of the White Tree). The extra vitality and bearing a weapon are good incentives to use Hobbit Sword-play. Hobbit Hospitals can wound that way, using the (new) vitality of allies...

@Durin's Heir: I really like your analysis :). So, would you say that Glorfindel, Eldarin Lord is a counter to Hand Weapons? He works against all possessions, but with many Hand Weapons adding strength, it would seem to fit into the scope of the article.
Thanks! Yes, Eldarin Lord should be listed in "Cards that counter Hand Weapon possessions" (he won't counter Sceptre of the Dark Lord nor The Balrog's Sword). If a card counters "possessions" (instead of "weapons" and "artifacts"), it must be listed with that specification.

Also, what about cards that reduce the archery total (Such as Great Shield)? Are these counters to Ranged Weapons? Many Ranged Weapons make their bearer an archer, and some (such as Southron Bow) have archery related text, while others such as Bow of the Galadhrim actually have nothing to do with archery :-|
Yes again, but not exactly that way: Great Shield and similars (Elven Cloak, Pinned Down, Uruk Hai Armory...) should be listed as "Cards that counter Archers and Archery Total" or something like that. Not as cards that "Counter Ranged Weapons" but as counters to that recurrent (tough not universal) goal and effect of ranged weapons. Even Blood of Numenor and Fill With Fear can be listed in such different list. And Their Arrows Enrage, Malice...

"Cards that support Archers and Archery total" would be Gondor Bowmen, Orc Bowmen, Aegnor, Double Shot...

Bow of the Galadhrim works in skirmish, so those cards that "counter archers and archery total" won't have any effect against it. But those that "counter Ranged Weapon Possessions" will do. Ranger's Bow is another example. Faramir's Bow works in skirmish and archery, so will be target of both categories.

EDIT: Worked all those points into the Ranged Weapons article. Of course, there's a lot of cards left to add, but the article is taking a completely different shape with short explanative texts, much more to my liking. I'd like you guys to see it and give me your opinion. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:32:05 PM by Durin's Heir »

March 03, 2016, 01:49:16 PM
Reply #204

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »
Amazing! I much prefer your layout Durin's Heir, I think it's a big improvement on the old template :up:. Thanks for fixing my Hobbit Sword lapse, there were so many reprints of that card :o

Wrote articles for Change of Plans and Little Golden Flower. The latter has a bit of overlap with other combo cards like Everyone Knows and Scouring of the Shire, but hopefully it's okay. I guess Little Golden Flower affects Ted Sandyman too, but I think most other [Shire] cards do as well, so I guess that should be mentioned on his article instead.

March 04, 2016, 06:12:33 PM
Reply #205

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #205 on: March 04, 2016, 06:12:33 PM »
Neat articles! Succint is the word for Little Golden Flower's. Yes, it affects Sandyman, but is better to specify that in his own article as you say.

Change of Plans is powerful against events of the sort of The Trees Are Strong (!) and Fires and Foul Fumes (!!!). Of course, being a situational card The Shards of Narsil should help a lot. Also can help to make Stern People a viable tool (in theory should work well with The White Arrows of Lorien, to make you discard less cards from your hand); you can use multiple copies of Stern People, and then shuffle all drawn cards with only 1x Change of Plans (We Must Go Warily can then lend its help too).

Amazing! I much prefer your layout Durin's Heir, I think it's a big improvement on the old template :up:. Thanks for fixing my Hobbit Sword lapse, there were so many reprints of that card :o
Thank you my fellow ;D! It will take some time to include each and every card that fits the new, broader criteria. A bunch each week, and in some time will be totally done (for the sake of curiosity and deckbuilding!). You can help me with the narration that explains the new lists, my English is functional but not much more (Spanish is my first language) ;).

The idea is to work the Hand Weapons one after finishing the current. It will be much easier nonetheless, because hand weapons don't interact with intrincate sums like archery totals; thus it'll have less lists.

About Hobbit Sword, it was a pleasure! I wonder how many other cards were reprinted. I know Long-knives of Legolas, Dwarven Bracers, Betrayal of Isengard and Elendil's Valor were, but there's probably more.

EDIT: Updated the reprints of Dwarven Bracers, Long-knives of Legolas, Betrayal of Isengard and Elendil's Valor.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:00:21 PM by Durin's Heir »

March 06, 2016, 07:07:21 AM
Reply #206

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:10:04 AM by ket_the_jet »

March 06, 2016, 07:51:37 AM
Reply #207

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2016, 07:51:37 AM »
And Pippin Hobbit of Some Intelligence. Thanks Ket! Updated them all. :up: :)

Note: Did also all reprints of The Ruling Ring****. The last 2 state "he or she" instead of "he", due to the inclusion of Galadriel BoW, included it in those articles.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:20:01 AM by Durin's Heir »

March 09, 2016, 08:02:55 AM
Reply #208

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2016, 08:02:55 AM »
@Durin's Heir: Nice work on those cards, I think they look a lot better now. I updated Change of Plans with your points, save for the Stern People point, as I wasn't sure as to whether that might belong it its own article. Then again, Change of Plans has a fairly small article, so perhaps it should go in both?

Wrote article for Under the Watching Eye. I did talk a bit about condition discard for this particular article, as I think it has a greater impact on this condition than most, particularly in Fellowship Block.

March 09, 2016, 08:04:33 AM
Reply #209

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2016, 08:04:33 AM »
And Pippin Hobbit of Some Intelligence. Thanks Ket! Updated them all. :up: :)

Note: Did also all reprints of The Ruling Ring****. The last 2 state "he or she" instead of "he", due to the inclusion of Galadriel BoW, included it in those articles.

Also Desert Spearman and Desert Soldier.
-wtk