LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Article Feedback  (Read 31135 times)

June 30, 2016, 08:59:51 AM
Reply #240

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Article Feedback
« Reply #240 on: June 30, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »
Wrote article for Let Us Be Swift. Aside from this and Fortress Never Fallen, are there any other [Rohan] cards that can discard conditions?
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

June 30, 2016, 12:57:43 PM
Reply #241

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #241 on: June 30, 2016, 12:57:43 PM »
Wrote article for Let Us Be Swift. Aside from this and Fortress Never Fallen, are there any other [Rohan] cards that can discard conditions?
Firefoot, Eomer's Steed comes to mind. Arrow-Slits discards machines.

Cheers,
-wtk

June 30, 2016, 02:00:40 PM
Reply #242

nielsd1981

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #242 on: June 30, 2016, 02:00:40 PM »
I thought the "and liberate a site" was a requirement to discard conditions (making it useless against shadow decks without site control), but apparently it's optional? Thanks for all the work on the wiki!

June 30, 2016, 08:34:07 PM
Reply #243

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #243 on: June 30, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »
I thought the "and liberate a site" was a requirement to discard conditions (making it useless against shadow decks without site control), but apparently it's optional? Thanks for all the work on the wiki!

As I understand LOTR, as long as you pay all of the costs to play a card, you then do as much of the effect as possible, even if you can't do everything.  I believe there's an exception for playing cards from your discard pile, though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:18:18 AM by Air Power »
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

July 08, 2016, 10:47:49 AM
Reply #244

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #244 on: July 08, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »
Firefoot, Eomer's Steed comes to mind. Arrow-Slits discards machines.
I had totally forgotten about Firefoot. I had used that card in the past without much success, but it would work really well with Dinendal, Silent Scout.

@nielsd1981: What Air Power said. Because the liberate site bit is part of the effect and not the cost, the card is okay to play without any sites being controlled.

@Durin's Heir: Thank you for your continuing work on the Ranged Weapon article. I added Brand, KoD; Gondor Bowmen and Frenzy of Arrows to the "Cards that Support Archers and Archery Fire" section.

EDIT: Article written for Hard Choice.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:37:29 AM by Dictionary »
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

August 03, 2016, 05:26:43 AM
Reply #245

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #245 on: August 03, 2016, 05:26:43 AM »
Article written for Treebeard, Earthborn.

August 03, 2016, 11:53:06 AM
Reply #246

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #246 on: August 03, 2016, 11:53:06 AM »
Earthborn doesn't prevent the discarding of Merry/Pippin, it only stacks them instead. The CRD says: "When a card uses the phrase "instead" or "instead of", the stated effect is replaced with a different effect. This does not mean that the original effect is prevented."
So you can still use Earthborn's skill with a card that costs you to discard a hobbit (like Diversion).

Also, technically Earthborn can be targeted by OWMWF but that will only pump him, without allowing him to fight.

@Durin's Heir: Thank you for your continuing work on the Ranged Weapon article. I added Brand, KoD; Gondor Bowmen and Frenzy of Arrows to the "Cards that Support Archers and Archery Fire" section.
You're welcome, my friend. And thanks for adding your part. I've been very busy lately, and at some point forgot totally about the Ranged Weapons article...

As I understand LOTR, as long as you pay all of the costs to play a card, you then do as much of the effect as possible, even if you can't do everything.  I believe there's an exception for playing cards from your discard pile, though.
Yes, there's an exception when playing cards from hand or from discard pile, in those cases the card must be in that location first (and thus you are forced to play it).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:05:02 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

August 04, 2016, 02:44:50 AM
Reply #247

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2016, 02:44:50 AM »
Wait, so if I discard Merry, Unquenchable Hobbit from play, then stack him on Treebeard, he still removes a [Sauron] Orc from a skirmish? Wow that's a pretty big thing for me to get wrong. As you said, I must be mixing up prevent and instead. But wouldn't that also mean I can use Saved from the Fire and Elessar's Edict to grab cards without killing anyone?

August 04, 2016, 06:30:06 AM
Reply #248

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2016, 06:30:06 AM »
My understanding is that Merry, Unquenchable Hobbit and Pippin, Just a Nuisance do not remove the minions from skirmishes unless they end up in the discard pile. You are discarding the companion to complete the action of removing the minion; if you interrupt the discard, the action is not completed.

That is also the way it plays on Gemp, by the way.
-wtk

August 07, 2016, 10:08:49 AM
Reply #249

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2016, 10:08:49 AM »
On Elessar's Edict: That doesnt work becasue SFTF doesnt kill, just place in dead pile.

August 07, 2016, 04:13:00 PM
Reply #250

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
On Elessar's Edict: That doesnt work becasue SFTF doesnt kill, just place in dead pile.

I'm pretty sure the Comprehensive Rules say that "placed in the dead pile" and "killed" are the same thing.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

September 11, 2016, 04:56:46 PM
Reply #251

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2016, 04:56:46 PM »
The query about Treebeard and Pippin, Just a Nuisance came up again in the Gemp lobby today, it seems to be a fairly popular question.

I gave my original response to this (No effect, because hobbit was stacked on Treebeard), but only because that is what Gemp does. The ruling Durin's Heir pointed out has me stumped:

"When a card uses the phrase "instead" or "instead of", the stated effect is replaced with a different effect. This does not mean that the original effect is prevented."

I have tried several different searches in the archives, but not found anything that fully addresses the question in my opinion.  A similar example is whether Faramir, BoQ can use his ability (Wound him to make a minion roaming) and take a burden instead with The One Ring. This is raised here: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,1665.0.html but most of the discussion is about Boromir, BoC, who is a different case.

September 12, 2016, 07:08:39 AM
Reply #252

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #252 on: September 12, 2016, 07:08:39 AM »
I think Stewards Tomb gives a hint to solve the issue. Stewards Tomb negates the prevention of wounds. But because The One Ring does take burdens instead of wounds, it can still work at that site and no prevention is negated. So technically, your Ringbearer would still be wounded, but a burden is added in the place of that wound token.

So Pippin JaN would still be discarded, but placed under Treebeard Earthborn instead of the discard pile. And thus the cost would still be paid, and the effect would still happen.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

September 13, 2016, 04:30:13 PM
Reply #253

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2016, 04:30:13 PM »
You make a compelling argument, I think I'm sold :)

September 14, 2016, 09:53:30 AM
Reply #254

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »

I'm fairly sure that with its erratum, Frenzy of Arrows does not support anything at all, as far as I know, it is impossible to give the archer keyword to an [Orc] minion.

I'm pretty sure the Comprehensive Rules say that "placed in the dead pile" and "killed" are the same thing.

Yup, that's why Tall and Proud is my favourite SFTF target.