LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: More Virtual Cards (Cruel Caradhras, take II)  (Read 189648 times)

August 24, 2008, 05:27:57 PM
Reply #465

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: More Virtual Cards (Cruel Caradhras)
« Reply #465 on: August 24, 2008, 05:27:57 PM »
Hmm, I know that I (possibly) suggested making Cruel Caradhras into a minion, but thinking about it I'm not sure any more.

Caradhras is a big mountain - not something that can be taken on and beaten in a fight. I like the idea that it is a condition that makes it possible to play weather cards.

Weather cards seem to me to make the most sense as exerting, adding threats, adding burdens, messing with the move limit and driving the Fellowship into situations they don't want to be in. To that end they could mess around with assignment actions and wounds, punishing companions for doing what they want to do rather than what you want them to do. In general, they could be LotR's answer to a control deck from magic the gathering - driving the Fellowship into making bad choices.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

August 25, 2008, 12:44:30 AM
Reply #466

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #466 on: August 25, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »
Hmmm.... I will come back to weather cards I think. In the mean time, I just realised that I missed a crucial card in all those conditions that played on companions before. Remember all those conditions that couldn't play on the Ring-bearer and reduced their resistance for not much gain? Well:

[2]Worry (V) [Isengard]
Condition
To play, exert 2 [Isengard] minions.
Bearer must be the Ring-bearer.
Each time bearer is assigned to skirmish an [Isengard] minion, the Free Peoples player must either exert him or her twice or exert each other companion with resistance 4 or less.
"'One by one, regardless of their strength to good or evil... they fell.'"
1 V 162
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:28:25 AM by Thranduil »

August 25, 2008, 08:10:18 AM
Reply #467

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #467 on: August 25, 2008, 08:10:18 AM »
Quote from: Thranduil
[2]Worry (V) [Isengard]
Condition
Each time bearer is assigned to a skirmish, the Free Peoples player must either exert him or her twice or exert each other companion with resistance 4 or less.
1 V 162

Perhaps limit it to "each time the Free Peoples player assigns bearer to a skirmish...". Otherwise this seems a little unfair with minions like Swarthy Sneering Fellow, Agent of Saruman, Dark Horseman, and others like them.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

August 25, 2008, 10:19:33 AM
Reply #468

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: More Virtual Cards (Worry)
« Reply #468 on: August 25, 2008, 10:19:33 AM »
I think I would be tempted to make it "Each time bearer is assigned to skirmish an Uruk-hai or Isengard minion." Again, removes Bill Ferny stuff while still keeping the spirit of the card.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

August 25, 2008, 10:31:04 AM
Reply #469

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #469 on: August 25, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »
[2]Worry (V) [Isengard]
Condition
Each time bearer is assigned to a skirmish, the Free Peoples player must either exert him or her twice or exert each other companion with resistance 4 or less.
1 V 162

Perhaps limit it to "each time the Free Peoples player assigns bearer to a skirmish...". Otherwise this seems a little unfair with minions like Swarthy Sneering Fellow, Agent of Saruman, Dark Horseman, and others like them.
actually dark horseman wouldn't change that as the freeps can still assign them to frodo, unless they leave him unassigned so I guess it does work ;)
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

August 25, 2008, 06:12:34 PM
Reply #470

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #470 on: August 25, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »
Agree with Anvar.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 06, 2008, 01:58:12 PM
Reply #471

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #471 on: September 06, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
Sorry I haven't updated this thread in quite a while - I've been rather busy at various points.

It occurred to me that while I was thinking about weather cards, there were a few holes to be filled in the [Isengard] culture and to this end are some cards to fit in with the evil assignment theme! :twisted:

[5]Orthanc Assassin (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Str: 11
Vit: 3
Sit: 5
Damage +1. Tracker.
Assignment: Assign Orthanc Assassin to a companion (except the Ring-bearer) bearing an [Isengard] condition. The Free Peoples player may allow you to decide the order of skirmishes until the regroup phase to prevent this and assign Orthanc Assassin.
1 V 131

[3] Uruk Bloodlust (V) [Isengard]
Event • Assignment
[Uruk]. Toil 1.
Assign an Uruk-hai to a companion with strength 7 or more (except the Ring-bearer).
"'Take them alive!'"
1 V 144

[3] Hunt Them Down! (V) [Isengard]
Event • Assignment
This event's twilight cost is -1 for each [Isengard] minion assigned to a skirmish.
Assign a tracker to a companion (except the Ring-bearer); that companion loses all gametext keywords and cannot gain gametext keywords until the regroup phase. That companion may exert to prevent this.
"'Do not stop until they are found!'"
1 V 126
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:32:29 AM by Thranduil »

September 06, 2008, 02:08:08 PM
Reply #472

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #472 on: September 06, 2008, 02:08:08 PM »
Minion • Uruk-hai
Damage +1. Tracker.
Assignment: Assign Orthanc Assassin to a companion bearing an [Isengard] condition.
1 V 131

Awesome.

Event • Assignment
[Uruk]. Toil 1.
Assign an Uruk-hai to a companion with strength 7 or more (except the Ring-bearer).
"'Take them alive!'"
1 V 144

It's fine. Maybe add a get-out clause or limit it to guys bearing conditions.

[3] Hunt Them Down (V) [Isengard]
Event • Assignment
This event's twilight cost is -1 for each [Isengard] minion assigned to a skirmish.
Assign a tracker to a companion (except the Ring-bearer); that companion loses all gametext keywords and cannot gain gametext keywords until the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may make that tracker fierce until the regroup phase to prevent this.
1 V 126

It's alright, but not fantastic. Fierce doesn't seem like it's a good downside, because the point of these self assigning cards is probably to pick off weaker companions, right? Unless of course you can weaken a big guy a lot. Unless a lot of your other self-assigning trackers are fierce (which they're probably not or the get-out of this event is too easy to choose) they could just let the minion go to a strong guy in the fierce skirmish that was tied up when you tried to assign with this card. Or just kill him first skirmish after he becomes fierce.

I'd change it to a strength bonus (so it's harder to assign him even if he goes where they want) or exerting the companion.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 06, 2008, 02:14:22 PM
Reply #473

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #473 on: September 06, 2008, 02:14:22 PM »
It's alright, but not fantastic. Fierce doesn't seem like it's a good downside, because the point of these self assigning cards is probably to pick off weaker companions, right? Unless of course you can weaken a big guy a lot. Unless a lot of your other self-assigning trackers are fierce (which they're probably not or the get-out of this event is too easy to choose) they could just let the minion go to a strong guy in the fierce skirmish that was tied up when you tried to assign with this card. Or just kill him first skirmish after he becomes fierce.

I'd change it to a strength bonus (so it's harder to assign him even if he goes where they want) or exerting the companion.
Okay, fair enough. I was trying to avoid straight exertions because I had other [Isengard] cards that did that, but now those cards have changed so I will change this one. :gp:

Thranduil

September 06, 2008, 05:11:26 PM
Reply #474

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #474 on: September 06, 2008, 05:11:26 PM »
Sorry I haven't updated this thread in quite a while - I've been rather busy at various points.

It occurred to me that while I was thinking about weather cards, there were a few holes to be filled in the [Isengard] culture and to this end are some cards to fit in with the evil assignment theme! :twisted:

Minion • Uruk-hai
Damage +1. Tracker.
Assignment: Assign Orthanc Assassin to a companion (except the Ring-bearer) bearing an [Isengard] condition.
1 V 131
give the freeps a way to prevent. and make it at the start of the assignment phase or something

Event • Assignment
[Uruk]. Toil 1.
"'Take them alive!'"
1 V 144
fine but should be toil 2 IMHO, and cost 4

Event • Assignment
Assign a tracker to a companion (except the Ring-bearer); that companion loses all gametext keywords and cannot gain gametext keywords until the regroup phase. That companion may exert to prevent this.
1 V 126
fine by me...
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

September 08, 2008, 08:50:02 AM
Reply #475

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #475 on: September 08, 2008, 08:50:02 AM »
Minion • Uruk-hai
Damage +1. Tracker.
Assignment: Assign Orthanc Assassin to a companion (except the Ring-bearer) bearing an [Isengard] condition.
1 V 131

Yeah, give the FP player a get-out clause.

Event • Assignment
[Uruk]. Toil 1.
"'Take them alive!'"
1 V 144

Seems alright to me.

Event • Assignment
1 V 126

Exerting is a rather ho-hum get-out clause. I like boosting that tracker's strength more. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

September 09, 2008, 02:39:22 AM
Reply #476

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: More Virtual Cards (Hunt Them Down!)
« Reply #476 on: September 09, 2008, 02:39:22 AM »
I've added a slightly weird and off-beat get-out clause on the Assassin. Does it work? Is it too powerful?

And here are some miscellaneous cards.

[1] Their Arrows Enrage (V) [Isengard]
Event • Archery
[Uruk].
Spot 2 Uruk-hai (or an Uruk-hai archer) at a battleground to make the minion archery total +1 and the fellowship archery total -1.
1 V 141

(0) Uruk-hai Rampage (V) [Isengard]
Event • Skirmish
Exert 2 Uruk-hai to exert a companion skirmishing one of those Uruk-hai.
1 V 159

(0) Wariness (V) [Isengard]
Event • Response
Stealth.
If a special ability is used, exert an [Isengard] minion to cancel its effects.
1 V 161

[2] Parry (V) [Isengard]
Event • Response
Stealth
If an event is played, spot an [Isengard] minion to cancel that event.
1 V 132
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:43:59 PM by Thranduil »

September 09, 2008, 07:24:40 AM
Reply #477

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: More Virtual Cards (Hunt Them Down!)
« Reply #477 on: September 09, 2008, 07:24:40 AM »
Minion • Uruk-hai
Damage +1. Tracker.
Assignment: Assign Orthanc Assassin to a companion (except the Ring-bearer) bearing an [Isengard] condition. The Free Peoples player may allow you to decide the order of skirmishes until the regroup phase to prevent this and assign Orthanc Assassin.
1 V 131

Hmmmm. :-k

Limit it to "...allow you to decide the order of skirmishes involving [Isengard] minions..." and I think it's okay.

[2] Parry (V) [Isengard]
Event • Skirmish
[Uruk].
Discard a weapon borne by a companion skirmishing an Uruk-hai.
1 V 132

Probably a little too good since it can target artifacts. Make it a weapon possession and it's fine.

Event • Archery
[Uruk].
Spot 2 Uruk-hai at a battleground to make the minion archery total +1 and the fellowship archery total -1.
1 V 141

I'd prefer it be tied in with archers or ranged weapons somehow. Perhaps give it a higher cost that is reduced for each Uruk archer or [Isengard] and/or [Uruk] ranged weapon you can spot?

Event • Skirmish
Exert an Uruk-hai to exert a companion skirmishing that Uruk-hai.
1 V 159

EVIL with the damage Uruks typically have. Maybe change it to exerting the Uruk twice for a wound instead.

Event • Response
Stealth.
If a special ability on a companion is used, exert an [Isengard] minion to cancel its effects.
At the start of the regroup phase, you may exert an [Isengard] minion to take this card into hand from your discard pile.
1 V 161

Stealth is not a Shadow keyword...search would be better. :up: Seems fine other than that.
Best regards,
Dáin

September 09, 2008, 10:06:12 AM
Reply #478

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: More Virtual Cards (Uruk-hai Rampage)
« Reply #478 on: September 09, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »
I've added a slightly weird and off-beat get-out clause on the Assassin. Does it work? Is it too powerful?

I really like it. It's something that has never been done before on a Shadow card and it could work. Dain's suggestion might confuse the issue however. What if there are mixed cultures? Who decides the order if FP do most, but Shadow player does the Isengard ones? You could make it "while you cannot spot a non-[Isengard] minion" but this might be over complicated.

[2] Parry (V) [Isengard]
Event • Skirmish
[Uruk].
1 V 132

Agree with Dain that this shouldn't work on artifacts.

Event • Archery
[Uruk].
Spot 2 Uruk-hai at a battleground to make the minion archery total +1 and the fellowship archery total -1.
1 V 141

Perhaps an alternative spotting requirement of "(or spot an Uruk-hai archer)" might be flavourful.

Event • Skirmish
1 V 159

If damage bonuses are a theme of the Uruks, as I seem to recall they are, couldn't this make an Uruk damage +1? How about exert and Uruk-hai to make him damage +1?

Event • Response
Stealth.
If a special ability on a companion is used, exert an [Isengard] minion to cancel its effects.
At the start of the regroup phase, you may exert an [Isengard] minion to take this card into hand from your discard pile.
1 V 161
Stealth here is a bit odd, but actually makes sense given the title. My inclination is to remove the second part of the text and just have it as a special ability cancelling card. An alternative is to allow it to cancel events as well.

Great ideas here,
Anvar
-Doctor Who

September 09, 2008, 10:40:20 AM
Reply #479

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
Re: More Virtual Cards (Uruk-hai Rampage)
« Reply #479 on: September 09, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »

[2] Parry (V) [Isengard]
Event • Skirmish
[Uruk].
1 V 132
how is this any better? I mean seriously, you can play several pumps for this cost...its always struck me as a worthless card...

Event • Archery
[Uruk].
1 V 141
fine

Event • Skirmish
1 V 159
fine, especially good considering uruk-hai damage...bye bye 3 vitality companion...

Event • Response
Stealth.
1 V 161
fine by me
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List