LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: More Virtual Cards (Cruel Caradhras, take II)  (Read 189642 times)

September 09, 2008, 03:39:07 PM
Reply #480

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: More Virtual Cards (Uruk Rampage)
« Reply #480 on: September 09, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
Stealth is not a Shadow keyword...search would be better. :up: Seems fine other than that.
A word on this. One of the things I've been doing is taking keywords and putting them in different places. I've made Free Peoples search cards and always intended Shadow stealth. It just seemed that stealth made a lot more sense than search on a card with that title.

Thanks for all reviews, and I've made changes.

Thranduil

September 10, 2008, 01:10:34 PM
Reply #481

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: More Virtual Cards (Uruk-hai Rampage)
« Reply #481 on: September 10, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »
Some more miscellaneous cards today. First a simple sword.

[1] Uruk-hai Sword (V) [Isengard]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +1
Bearer must be an Uruk-hai.
If bearer is an [Uruk] minion, it cannot take wounds (except during skirmish phases).
If bearer is an [Isengard] minion, it is strength +2.
1 V 160

[2] The Misadventure of Mr. Underhill (V) [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
At the start of the regroup phase, you may discard an [Isengard] minion and this condition to return a companion that lost a skirmish during the preceding skirmish phase to its owner's hand.
"'You're drawing far too much attention to yourself… Mr. Underhill.'"
1 V 129

That sort of bounce is something which I might be developing more in the [Isengard] culture.

[2] Spies of Saruman (V) [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Saruman.
Maneuver: Discard this condition to examine a player's hand and set aside 2 revealed cards. Place one of those revealed cards on top of and the other beneath its owner's draw deck.
"'… they are crebain out of Fangorn or Dunland. I do not know what they are about…'"
1 V 140

You remember the cycle of Free Peoples cards that were built for multiplayer? Well, I thought there's no reason why you can't have Shadow cards designed to screw over fellow Shadow players! This is one of those cards, though it's a bit incidental. There will be a cycle at some point of cards specifically designed with that purpose in mind.

Thranduil
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:50:51 PM by Thranduil »

September 10, 2008, 01:31:12 PM
Reply #482

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #482 on: September 10, 2008, 01:31:12 PM »
Quote from: Thranduil
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer is strength +1 for each wound a companion it is skirmishing.
1 V 160

You're missing an "on", but I don't know that I like this anyway. Seems like more of a Berserker-exclusive thing to me, and should remain that way. It's okay...I'd just prefer it do something else.

Also, wouldn't this be a perfect candidate for a dual-culture [Isengard] / [Uruk] card?

Condition • Support Area
At the start of the regroup phase, you may spot an [Isengard] minion and discard this condition to return a companion that won a skirmish during the preceding skirmish phase to its owner's hand.
1 V 129

Seems an awfully cruel punishment to zap a companion that WINS skirmishes. I'd discard the [Isengard] minion as well and let the FP choose which companion to return to hand, possibly limited to ones that LOST skirmishes.

Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Saruman.
Maneuver: Discard this condition to look at a player's hand and set aside 2 revealed cards. Place one of those revealed cards on top of and the other beneath its owner's draw deck.
"'… they are crebain out of Fangorn or Dunland. I do not know what they are about…'"
1 V 140

I think "examine" would be better than "look at". Love it otherwise, though.

But I was sure I'd see that card title used as a follower. :P
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

September 10, 2008, 01:52:01 PM
Reply #483

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #483 on: September 10, 2008, 01:52:01 PM »
But I was sure I'd see that card title used as a follower. :P
You laugh, but I nearly made it into a minion! :hey:

Also, wouldn't this be a perfect candidate for a dual-culture [Isengard] / [Uruk] card?
A fine point! I hadn't thought of that. :gp: I've now changed it, though if anyone has a better suggestion for the [Isengard] part, I'll be glad to hear it - my mind's a bit blank at the moment.

Thranduil
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:59:44 PM by Thranduil »

September 11, 2008, 12:11:54 PM
Reply #484

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
Re: More Virtual Cards (Spies of Saruman)
« Reply #484 on: September 11, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »
I'd agree with Dain on Misadventures.

Otherwise, the others look good.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 11, 2008, 01:34:52 PM
Reply #485

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #485 on: September 11, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »
Possession • Hand Weapon
If bearer is an [Uruk] minion, it cannot take wounds (except during skirmish phases).
If bearer is an [Isengard] minion, it is strength +2.
1 V 160

How about if bearer is an [Isengard] minion, each time he takes a wound, draw a card?

Condition • Support Area
At the start of the regroup phase, you may discard an [Isengard] minion and this condition to return a companion that lost a skirmish during the preceding skirmish phase to its owner's hand.
1 V 129

Nice

Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Saruman.
Maneuver: Discard this condition to examine a player's hand and set aside 2 revealed cards. Place one of those revealed cards on top of and the other beneath its owner's draw deck.
1 V 140

I think this should be "Discard this condition to reveal a player's hand. Choose 2 of these cards. Place 1 on top of and the other beneath their owner's draw deck." Just to avoid possible complications over 'examine' and 'revealed'.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

September 11, 2008, 03:51:16 PM
Reply #486

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #486 on: September 11, 2008, 03:51:16 PM »
How about if bearer is an [Isengard] minion, each time he takes a wound, draw a card?
Unfortunately I want it to stack with the [Uruk] ability.

Thranduil

September 12, 2008, 03:27:00 AM
Reply #487

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #487 on: September 12, 2008, 03:27:00 AM »
3 more mostly miscellaneous cards for now. The first 2 are slightly off-beat follower hate. The second is a seriously off-beat minion.

(0) No Business of Ours (V) [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot an [Isengard] or [Men] minion.
Response: If a follower is transferred to a companion, discard this condition to place that follower on top of the Free Peoples player's draw deck.
"'Goblins? Cobblers! Far-off tales and children's stories, that's all that is!'"
2 V 44

[1] Demands of the Sackville-Bagginses (V) [Isengard]
Event • Maneuver
Spot an [Isengard] minion to transfer a follower from a character to its owner's support area; that minion is strength +X until the regroup phase where X is that follower's twilight cost.
"In the middle of the commotion, the Sackville-Bagginses arrived."
2 V 40

[2] Goblin Man (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Man/Orc
Str: 6
Vit: 2
Sit: 2
[Men]. [Orc].
While in region 1, this minion is strength +3 and fierce.
While in region 2, this minion cannot take wounds.
"'He looks more than half like a goblin.'"
2 V 41
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 04:26:13 PM by Thranduil »

September 12, 2008, 06:54:28 AM
Reply #488

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #488 on: September 12, 2008, 06:54:28 AM »
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot an [Isengard] minion.
Response: If a follower is transferred to a companion, discard this condition to place that follower on top of the Free Peoples player's draw deck.
"'Goblins? Cobblers! Far-off tales and children's stories, that's all that is!'"
2 V 44

Because of it's nature as a Bree-ish card, I might consider allowing this to work with [Men] minions as well.

Event • Maneuver
Spot an [Isengard] minion to transfer a follower to a minion (ignoring any bearer requirements). At the start of the regroup phase, that follower returns to its owner's support area.
2 V 40

Very, very odd. I think it's a little too evil to turn followers like Pallando, Deagol, Dinendal MA (good lord...this could make Frenzy of Arrows actually work again! :-X), Rohan Stable Master, Hobbiton Brewer (and the list goes on) into FP saboteurs. Remove the text of those followers (thereby going with stat boosters alone), and I think it's an easier pill to swallow.

Minion • Man • Orc
[Men]. [Orc].
2 V 41

Coolness. I think I'd do "Minion • Man/Orc" instead, though. A little clearer, I think.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

September 12, 2008, 08:59:51 AM
Reply #489

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: More Virtual Cards (Goblin Man)
« Reply #489 on: September 12, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »
Very, very odd. I think it's a little too evil to turn followers like Pallando, Deagol, Dinendal MA (good lord...this could make Frenzy of Arrows actually work again! :-X), Rohan Stable Master, Hobbiton Brewer (and the list goes on) into FP saboteurs. Remove the text of those followers (thereby going with stat boosters alone), and I think it's an easier pill to swallow.
I had a feeling there might be something which would make this broken; Frenzy of Arrows and Dinendal is a good point - not that anyone would make a deck using Frenzy of Arrows and [Isengard]/[Orc] Orcs just in the hope you're opponent was using Dinendal. I'll just see what others think, but I'm more than willing to concede on this.

Thranduil

September 12, 2008, 10:43:31 AM
Reply #490

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #490 on: September 12, 2008, 10:43:31 AM »
3 more mostly miscellaneous cards for now. The first 2 are slightly off-beat follower hate. The second is a seriously off-beat minion.

Condition • Support Area
To play, spot an [Isengard] or [Men] minion.
2 V 44
fine.

Event • Maneuver
Spot an [Isengard] minion to transfer a follower to a minion (ignoring any bearer requirements). At the start of the regroup phase, that follower returns to its owner's support area.
2 V 40
maybe...

Minion • Man/Orc
[Men]. [Orc].
2 V 41
fine
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

September 19, 2008, 10:20:12 AM
Reply #491

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #491 on: September 19, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »
I really would like another opinion, especially on DotSB - I feel like no one is looking at this thread any more. ???

Thranduil

September 19, 2008, 06:24:54 PM
Reply #492

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #492 on: September 19, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
Sorry, Thran!

Well, I think Dain makes a good point - stealing your opponent's Deagol or Pallando would be really good. Especially since they have to pay the aid cost of that follower before you steal it.

I might have limited it to non-unqie followers, but really there aren't too many of those.

I think it's best to go with Dain's idea of removing game text from those followers.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 21, 2008, 04:36:46 PM
Reply #493

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #493 on: September 21, 2008, 04:36:46 PM »
Sorry for the lack of cards as well - I've been quite busy with my moving to Manchester - but I'm now quite settled in and am ready for some more evil stuff. I've firstly made an updated version of DotSB. If there's a problem with that, don't hesitate to tell me.

For now, here are the last 3 random cards from the [Isengard] culture before I work out what the #$&*@! I'm going to do with weather cards... :-k

[5] Troop of Uruk-hai (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Str: 9
Vit: 4
Sit: 5
Bloodlust 2. Damage +1.
When you play this minion, spot another Uruk-hai and a companion with X wounds to make this minion twilight cost -X.
1 V 143

EDIT: Sorry, I was trying to save time when I wrote that card. Bloodlust X is a keyword from one of my DC sets which is the same as Third Marshall's ability, but variable.

[2] Hate and Anger (V) [Isengard]
Event • Skirmish
Choose one: exert an Orc to make an Uruk-hai strength +3, and fierce until the regroup phase; or exert an Uruk-hai to make an Orc strength +3 and damage +1.
3 V 53

[1] One of You Must Do This (V) [Isengard]
Event • Shadow
Spot your [Isengard] minion to make each player discard one of their conditions.
"'And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?'"
3 V 63

This last card is part of an intended Shadow cycle. You remember those FP cards designed for multiplayer? Well this cycle is made up of Shadow cards designed for multiplayer, specifically to screw over other Shadow players! This card really does sow disunity... :twisted:

Thranduil
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:23:51 PM by Thranduil »

September 22, 2008, 07:47:59 AM
Reply #494

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #494 on: September 22, 2008, 07:47:59 AM »
Event • Maneuver
Spot an [Isengard] minion to transfer a follower from a character to its owner's support area; that minion is strength +X until the regroup phase where X is that follower's twilight cost.
2 V 40

Not bad, but that strength boost will not provide much of a boost (+2 at most with all followers except the [3]-cost Celebring). Perhaps make it a minimum of a +1 boost--or +1 in addition to the follower's twilight cost--to make it a little nastier.

[5] Troop of Uruk-hai (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Str: 9
Vit: 4
Sit: 5
Bloodlust 2. Damage +1.
When you play this minion, spot another Uruk-hai and a companion with X wounds to make this minion twilight cost -X.
1 V 143

Hmmm. Seems good, but not quite TOO good, I don't think.

[2] Hate and Anger (V) [Isengard]
Event • Skirmish
Choose one: exert an [Isengard] Orc to make an Uruk-hai strength +3 and fierce until the regroup phase; or exert an Uruk-hai to make an [Isengard] Orc strength +3 and damage +1.
3 V 53

I'd make this REALLY fun and hearken back to the original a bit: make it ANY Orc, but limit it to [Isengard] Uruks. More than likely it would still be used by [Isengard] Orcs even with the rewrite, but opening it up a bit makes it a LOT of fun. :twisted: Also no need for the "untul the regroup phase" you have in there.

[1] One of You Must Do This (V) [Isengard]
Event • Shadow
Exert your [Isengard] minion to make each other player discard one of their conditions.
"'And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?'"
3 V 63

Like the general idea, but I think I'd prefer it with a different event title. Abandoning Reason for Madness comes to mind. :P I would prefer One of You Must Do This to continue on as a multicultural hate card.
Best regards,
Dáin