LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: More Virtual Cards (Cruel Caradhras, take II)  (Read 188121 times)

July 24, 2008, 07:20:06 AM
Reply #345

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: More Virtual Cards (Gondor's Vengeance)
« Reply #345 on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:06 AM »
Okay, I revised Foes of Mordor above. Let's see what you think!

Thranduil

July 24, 2008, 02:11:36 PM
Reply #346

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #346 on: July 24, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »
They look good now.

By the way, you murder [Gondor] token reinforcing with a blunt shovel. I miss 4 athelas on a companion + guarded city.

Foes of Mordor might warrant a higher cost. It can be +6 against [Sauron] easily and even +8 against Shelob.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

July 24, 2008, 03:22:17 PM
Reply #347

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #347 on: July 24, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
I guess you can't really think of these virtual cards as replacements for the old, but as additions. Think of them as forming an entirely new block of cards. With that, you can judge them in their own right rather than as against the originals.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

July 24, 2008, 04:13:59 PM
Reply #348

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #348 on: July 24, 2008, 04:13:59 PM »
I guess you can't really think of these virtual cards as replacements for the old, but as additions. Think of them as forming an entirely new block of cards. With that, you can judge them in their own right rather than as against the originals.
I was thinking about that, and I was judging that as a real set, it would have to work simultaneously in 2 ways:

1) As a post-Hunters "Fellowship (V) block", rotating King block and making a new standard of War of the Ring, Hunters and Fellowship (V).

2) As a replacement of Fellowship block in Movie block format (ie. making an optional new movie block consisting of Fellowship (V), Towers and King), or perhaps instead as a companion to Fellowship block making the originals and virtuals interchangeable.

Tell me what you think about that!

Now to finish off some more more or less standalone [Gondor] cards.

(0) Pursuit Just Behind (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Str: -2
Sit: +2
Skirmish: Exert a ranger to transfer this condition to a minion he or she is skirmishing.
"'We must do something to delay the enemy first. We will make them fear the Chamber of Mazarbul!'"
1 V 111

[1] Natural Cover (V) [Gondor]
Event • Archery
Stealth.
Spot a [Gondor] Man to choose one: make the minion archery total -3; or make a minion lose all attribute bonuses until the regroup phase.
2 V 35

(0) Flee In Terror (V) [Gondor]
Event • Regroup
Spot 2 [Gondor] Men (or a ranger) that is not exhausted to discard a minion or liberate a site.
"Aragorn smote to the ground the captain that stood in his path, and the rest fled in terror of his wrath."
2 V 33
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 07:16:28 PM by Thranduil »

July 24, 2008, 09:41:02 PM
Reply #349

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
Re: More Virtual Cards (Flee in Terror!)
« Reply #349 on: July 24, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »
Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Exert a [Gondor] companion to transfer this condition to a minion he or she is skirmishing.
"'We must do something to delay the enemy first. We will make them fear the Chamber of Mazarbul!'"
1 V 111

I think it deserves a higher cost, but since you can't change that, I guess it's okay. It'd be underpowered at only strength -1, for example.

Event • Archery
Stealth.
Spot a [Gondor] Man to choose one: make the minion archery total -3; or make a minion lose all attribute bonuses until the regroup phase.
2 V 35

"...and unable to gain..." would make this much better.

Event • Regroup
Spot a [Gondor] Man that is not exhausted to discard a minion or liberate a site.
"Aragorn smote to the ground the captain that stood in his path, and the rest fled in terror of his wrath."
2 V 33

Maybe make it spot 2 Men or a ranger.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

July 25, 2008, 07:13:20 AM
Reply #350

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #350 on: July 25, 2008, 07:13:20 AM »
Quote from: Thranduil
Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Exert a [Gondor] companion to transfer this condition to a minion he or she is skirmishing.
1 V 111

I'd prefer this only work with rangers, personally. 'Twould make it a bit more balanced, too.

Event • Archery
Stealth.
2 V 35

Bravo for [Gondor] stealth. This is a good one, too.

Event • Regroup
Spot a [Gondor] Man that is not exhausted to discard a minion or liberate a site.
2 V 33

I like EL's suggestion. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 27, 2008, 04:40:14 PM
Reply #351

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #351 on: July 27, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
Changed according to suggestions. Now some miscellaneous possessions, I think:

[1] Great Shield (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Shield
Bearer must be a Man.
The minion archery total is -1.
Each minion skirmishing bearer is strength -1 for each keyword in its gametext.
1 V 107

[1] Armor (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Armor
Bearer must be a Man.
While skirmishing more than one minion, bearer is strength +2.
Response: If a minion bearer is skirmishing is about to use a special ability, exert bearer or discard this possession to prevent that.
"Then Elendil the Tall and his mighty sons, Isildur and Anárion, became great lords; and the North-realm they made in Arnor and the South-realm in Gondor…
1 V 92

(0) Flaming Brand (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +1
Bearer must be a Man.
If bearer is a ranger or valiant Man, this possession may be borne in addition to 1 other hand weapon.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may exert a minion (or wound a fierce minion).
"… a glimpse of Strider leaping out of the shadows with a flaming brand of wood…"
2 V 32

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:05:50 PM by Thranduil »

July 29, 2008, 11:20:34 AM
Reply #352

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #352 on: July 29, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
Now some miscellaneous possessions, I think:

Hey, and you left them as possessions! Now where's that hand-clapping smiley when you need it? ???

[1] Great Shield (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Shield
Bearer must be a Man.
The minion archery total is -1.
Each minion skirmishing bearer is strength -1 for each keyword in its gametext.
1 V 107

Never been a big fan of shields modifying strength, but I guess this works. LOVE what this does to Horror of Harad. :twisted:

[1] Armor (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Armor
Bearer must be a Man.
While skirmishing more than one minion, bearer is strength +2.
Response: If a minion bearer is skirmishing is about to use a special ability, exert bearer or discard this possession to prevent that.
"Then Elendil the Tall and his mighty sons, Isildur and Anárion, became great lords; and the North-realm they made in Arnor and the South-realm in Gondor…
1 V 92

Instead of the current strength boosting, how about making it "While skirmishing more than one minion, each minion skirmishing bearer is strength -1"? Or just drop the "While skirmishing more than one minion" part altogether and just make it "each minion skirmishing bearer is strength -1".

Anyway, the response action is pretty strong, but not overly so, I don't think. Seems fine.

(0) Flaming Brand (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +1
Bearer must be a Man.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may exert a minion (or wound a fierce minion).
"… a glimpse of Strider leaping out of the shadows with a flaming brand of wood…"
2 V 32

Ew. I mean, the exerting/wounding is nice, but this would be MUCH better if it could be borne with another weapon, like the original, or at least had more boosts against [Wraith] minions (ALSO like the original).
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 29, 2008, 11:34:44 AM
Reply #353

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #353 on: July 29, 2008, 11:34:44 AM »
Never been a big fan of shields modifying strength, but I guess this works. LOVE what this does to Horror of Harad. :twisted:
I can tell you why I did it. Shields are not really for protection; they're actually weapons using what your opponent has against him.

Ew. I mean, the exerting/wounding is nice, but this would be MUCH better if it could be borne with another weapon, like the original, or at least had more boosts against [Wraith] minions (ALSO like the original).
The first is changed, and it does work nicely against Nazgûl because they're fierce. Also, I don't want to make it too much like the original given the fact that it's on the X-list!

Thranduil
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:37:00 AM by Thranduil »

July 29, 2008, 11:54:18 AM
Reply #354

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: More Virtual Cards (Armor, Shield and Brand)
« Reply #354 on: July 29, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »
Not sure why Flaming Brand works for Knights. Rangers I understand, Valiant I can perhaps accept, but I can't see knights wielding flaming brands to any great effect...

Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

July 29, 2008, 11:57:41 AM
Reply #355

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #355 on: July 29, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »
Quote from: Anvar
Not sure why Flaming Brand works for Knights. Rangers I understand, Valiant I can perhaps accept, but I can't see knights wielding flaming brands to any great effect...

I agree. I understand wanting to culturally enforce it a bit, but knights just don't make much sense. Better to stick with just rangers and (maybe) valient Men. Somehow that latter one seems wrong too, though....
Best regards,
Dáin

July 29, 2008, 11:57:55 AM
Reply #356

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #356 on: July 29, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
I was just representing the most skilled of Men, and knights always get left out of everything so I didn't want to leave them out! But I have anyway...

Thranduil
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:06:50 PM by Thranduil »

July 29, 2008, 01:14:42 PM
Reply #357

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #357 on: July 29, 2008, 01:14:42 PM »
Now let's move onto one of the big [Gondor] themes from this set:

(0) Strength of Kings (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
Each time a [Gondor] companion wins a skirmish, you may exert that companion to add a [Gondor] token here. Then if that companion is Aragorn, Isildur or Elendil, you may heal him.
Skirmish: Remove a token from here to remove [2].
"'Believe not that in the land of Gondor the úmenor is spent, nor all its pride and dignity forgotten.'"
1 V 115

(0) Sentinels of Númenor (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot a [Gondor] Man to add a [Gondor] token here.
Each time a minion is played, you may add [1] and remove a token from here to draw a card.
"… they still preserved through the suns and rains of forgotten years the mighty likenesses in which they had been hewn."
2 V 37

This will seem more useful after the next cards are posted... :ninja:

[1] Citadel of Minas Tirith (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Fellowship: Play a [Gondor] condition to your support area to add a [Gondor] token here.
Regroup: Remove 2 tokens from here to transfer a fortification from a minion to your support area.
Regroup: Remove 3 tokens from here to discard a minion.
"'One day our paths will lead us there, and the Tower guards will take up the call - the Lords of Gondor have returned.'"
3 V 40

(0) Banner of the White Tree (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a [Gondor] Man.
Skirmish: Remove a [Gondor] token to make bearer strength +1.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may reinforce a [Gondor] token.
"'Many Elves and mighty Men, and many of their friends, had perished in the war.'"
3 V 39
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:43:32 AM by Thranduil »

July 29, 2008, 01:28:57 PM
Reply #358

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: More Virtual Cards (Citadel of Minas Tirith)
« Reply #358 on: July 29, 2008, 01:28:57 PM »
Love the cards. Does [Gondor] remove twilight in the skirmish phase? Don't see a major problem with it, it just seems a bit odd.

Also, I'd like to see Banner of the White Tree give a +1 strength bonus - I know the other banners don't but I think it would make them more playable.
-Doctor Who

July 29, 2008, 01:31:56 PM
Reply #359

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: More Virtual Cards (Citadel of Minas Tirith)
« Reply #359 on: July 29, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »
Does [Gondor] remove twilight in the skirmish phase? Don't see a major problem with it, it just seems a bit odd.
Not especially, but they do like to prevent Shadow players from using skirmish events!

Thranduil