LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: More Virtual Cards (Cruel Caradhras, take II)  (Read 188992 times)

July 29, 2008, 06:13:48 PM
Reply #360

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: More Virtual Cards (Citadel of Minas Tirith)
« Reply #360 on: July 29, 2008, 06:13:48 PM »
Aha, now it all makes sense to me. As a new version of Strength of Kings, I like the flexibilty that this gives the FP player. Good work.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

July 30, 2008, 02:48:58 AM
Reply #361

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: More Virtual Cards (Armor, Shield and Brand)
« Reply #361 on: July 30, 2008, 02:48:58 AM »

(0) Strength of Kings (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
Each time a [Gondor] companion wins a skirmish, you may exert that companion to add a [Gondor] token here. Then if that companion is Aragorn, Isildur or Elendil, you may heal him.
Skirmish: Remove a token from here to remove [2].
"'Believe not that in the land of Gondor the úmenor is spent, nor all its pride and dignity forgotten.'"
1 V 115

Good. Not brilliant but nifty.

(0) Sentinels of Númenor (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, add a [Gondor] token here.
Each time a minion is played, you may remove a token from here to draw a card.
"… they still preserved through the suns and rains of forgotten years the mighty likenesses in which they had been hewn."
2 V 37

OP. Reinforcing wasnt hard for gondor before anyway in fact they were ace at it.

[1] Citadel of Minas Tirith (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Fellowship: Play a [Gondor] condition to your support area to add a [Gondor] token here.
Regroup: Remove 2 tokens from here to transfer a fortification from a minion to your support area.
Regroup: Remove 3 tokens from here to discard a minion.
"'One day our paths will lead us there, and the Tower guards will take up the call - the Lords of Gondor have returned.'"
3 V 40

Sound.

(0) Banner of the White Tree (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a [Gondor] Man.
Skirmish: Remove a [Gondor] token to make bearer strength +1.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may reinforce a [Gondor] token.
"'Many Elves and mighty Men, and many of their friends, had perished in the war.'"
3 V 39

Cool.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

July 30, 2008, 03:01:19 AM
Reply #362

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: More Virtual Cards (Armor, Shield and Brand)
« Reply #362 on: July 30, 2008, 03:01:19 AM »
OP. Reinforcing wasnt hard for gondor before anyway in fact they were ace at it.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here. The text of Sentinels of Numenor (V) only adds 1 token.

Thranduil

July 30, 2008, 03:39:24 AM
Reply #363

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #363 on: July 30, 2008, 03:39:24 AM »
Yeah i know. Sorry Thran. What i meant is Gondor is one of the best token adders so basically you could easily ensure you draw a card for every minion played AND its non unique so it could be done multiple times....

Get me?

July 30, 2008, 03:44:21 AM
Reply #364

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #364 on: July 30, 2008, 03:44:21 AM »
I get you. What do you think of the Sentinels now? (I also noticed that it had no cultural requirements whatsoever! ;) )

Thranduil

July 30, 2008, 04:23:42 AM
Reply #365

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #365 on: July 30, 2008, 04:23:42 AM »
Better but 1 seems a big cost now lol, how about 2 tokens?

July 30, 2008, 04:31:53 AM
Reply #366

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #366 on: July 30, 2008, 04:31:53 AM »
I think I'll leave it as is because it actually fits nicely within the set (Unknown Perils (V) has a similar trigger).

Remember I said how drawing a card during the Shadow phase would seem more useful with the next cards? :mrgreen:

[1]The Shards of Narsil (V) [Gondor]
Artifact • Support Area
To play, spot 4 [Gondor] cards in your discard pile.
Each time the fellowship moves, you may exert a [Gondor] Man to reinforce a [Gondor] token.
Fellowship: Remove 3 [Gondor] tokens to place a [Gondor] card from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
"'… Narsil was broken and its light extinguished, and it had not yet been forged again.'"
3 V 44

(0) Still Sharp (V) [Gondor]
Event • Fellowship
Spot a [Gondor] Man to choose one: spot The Shards of Narsil to place a [Gondor] card from your discard pile on top of your draw deck; or take a [Gondor] artifact into hand from your draw deck.
"'The shards of Narsil… the blade that cut the Ring from Sauron's hand.'"
3 V 46
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:47:07 AM by Thranduil »

July 30, 2008, 04:37:41 AM
Reply #367

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: More Virtual Cards (Still Sharp!)
« Reply #367 on: July 30, 2008, 04:37:41 AM »
Only complaint is you should stay true to Still Sharp and spot the shards of narsil otherwise it makes no sense.

July 30, 2008, 07:33:08 AM
Reply #368

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #368 on: July 30, 2008, 07:33:08 AM »
Only complaint is you should stay true to Still Sharp and spot the shards of narsil otherwise it makes no sense.

I disagree actually. Cards that reference other particular cards have limited use and make deck building rather less interesting. Still Sharp interacts with Gondor artifacts and that is enough for me. Having said that, I think Still Sharp should take the artifact into hand rather than play it.

Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

July 30, 2008, 07:43:39 AM
Reply #369

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #369 on: July 30, 2008, 07:43:39 AM »
Are you suggesting all cards should require no effort to play and making a "couple of card" tactical focus is pointless? Doesnt that mean you want all cards to be splashable and easy to play?

I understand with cards such as weight of legacy etc... But thats because you dont know what youre facing. Here you know youre playing the shards and it isnt too much to use that to get a card or 2 out.

July 30, 2008, 08:25:43 AM
Reply #370

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #370 on: July 30, 2008, 08:25:43 AM »
I agree with lem0n for the most part. However, that being said, I think Still Sharp should spot a [Gondor] artifact or two instead of a [Gondor] Man to use. Perhaps something like this....

"Spot 2 [Gondor] artifacts (or The Shards of Narsil) to choose one...."

For a (0)-cost event with pretty powerful effects, I really don't think that's too restrictive. Rather, I think it's pretty much necessary.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 30, 2008, 08:33:31 AM
Reply #371

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #371 on: July 30, 2008, 08:33:31 AM »
[1]The Shards of Narsil (V) [Gondor]
Artifact • Support Area
To play, spot 4 [Gondor] cards in your discard pile.
Each time the fellowship moves, you may exert a [Gondor] Man to reinforce a [Gondor] token.
Fellowship: Remove 3 [Gondor] tokens to place a [Gondor] card from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
"'… Narsil was broken and its light extinguished, and it had not yet been forged again.'"
3 V 44

I like it. Cool reinforcement, and interesting card.

(0) Still Sharp (V) [Gondor]
Event • Fellowship
Spot a [Gondor] Man to choose one: place a [Gondor] card from your discard pile on top of your draw deck; or take a [Gondor] artifact into hand from your draw deck.
"'The shards of Narsil… the blade that cut the Ring from Sauron's hand.'"
3 V 46

I like Dain's idea for the spotting requirement.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

July 30, 2008, 09:46:20 AM
Reply #372

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #372 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
Are you suggesting all cards should require no effort to play and making a "couple of card" tactical focus is pointless? Doesnt that mean you want all cards to be splashable and easy to play?

I understand with cards such as weight of legacy etc... But thats because you dont know what youre facing. Here you know youre playing the shards and it isnt too much to use that to get a card or 2 out.
No; he didn't say that cards should never require to spot other cards, he said that cards that reference specific card titles restrict deck-building.

I have changed Still Sharp, though, so hopefully it's an acceptable compromise.

Now we also come to some slightly weird cards, in the virtual sense. Basically, it all came about from ML's One Whom Men Would Follow which references [Gondor] followers and I realised there were no [Gondor] followers in the set, so I took these cards instead!

(0) Gondor Bowmen (V) [Gondor]
Follower
Aid - [3].
Archery: Exert bearer twice to add +2 to the fellowship archery total. Transfer this follower to your support area.
3 V 41

(0) Some Who Resisted (V) [Gondor]
Follower
Str: +1
Aid - remove a [Gondor] token.
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound in a skirmish, transfer this follower to your support area to prevent that wound.
"'In the South the realm of Gondor long endured; and for a while its splendour grew…'"
3 V 45

And this one will lead us nicely into the final few [Gondor] cards:

[2] Blood of Númenor (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
Skirmish: Remove a [Gondor] card in your discard pile from the game to make an unique [Gondor] companion strength +1.
Regroup: Remove this condition from the game to remove [4].
"'I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you - I will not let the White City fall…'"
2 V 31
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:03:30 AM by Thranduil »

July 30, 2008, 09:56:14 AM
Reply #373

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #373 on: July 30, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »
I thought you had both an Aragorn and a Boromir follower...? Is my memory just bad?

Quote from: Thranduil
(0) Gondor Bowmen (V) [Gondor]
Follower
Aid - [3].
Archery: Exert bearer twice to add +2 to the fellowship archery total. Transfer this follower to your support area.
3 V 41

Word it "Exert bearer twice to make the fellowship archery total +2." Seems okay to me, although perhaps a little TOO costly. I'd give it a strength +2 as an alternative to using the archery ability.

(0) Some Who Resisted (V) [Gondor]
Follower
Str: +1
Aid - remove a [Gondor] token.
Respone: If bearer is about to take a wound in a skirmish, transfer this follower to your support area and add [2] to prevent that wound.
"'In the South the realm of Gondor long endured; and for a while its splendour grew…'"
3 V 45

Good idea, terrible card title for a follower. I'd use Sentinels of Númenor instead. :up: I know you already used it, but its text could be slapped on a card called "Some Who Resisted" easily enough.

[2] Blood of Númenor (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
Skirmish: Remove a [Gondor] card in your discard pile from the game to make an unique [Gondor] companion strength +1.
Regroup: Remove this condition from the game to remove [4].
"'I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you - I will not let the White City fall…'"
2 V 31

Nifty. I like the skirmish ability especially. With that regroup ability, though, I think this needs to be unique.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 30, 2008, 10:06:49 AM
Reply #374

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #374 on: July 30, 2008, 10:06:49 AM »
Good idea, terrible card title for a follower. I'd use Sentinels of Númenor instead. :up: I know you already used it, but its text could be slapped on a card called "Some Who Resisted" easily enough.
Except that the Sentinels are referring to the big statues, which don't make great followers! :hey:

Thranduil