LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: More Virtual Cards (Cruel Caradhras, take II)  (Read 189660 times)

July 22, 2008, 02:36:46 AM
Reply #300

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: More Virtual Cards (Heir to the White City)
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2008, 02:36:46 AM »
Sorry Thran. Ok the event is a 1 trick pony it works once if you have it in hand, asfaloth has to be out on arwen and not be discarded, boromir is always boromir. He sits there being awesome and can do it whenever he wants. I just think its too good for just him to be able to save frodo as and when needed.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

July 22, 2008, 04:15:11 AM
Reply #301

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #301 on: July 22, 2008, 04:15:11 AM »
Okay, fair enough. It's changed. Thanks!

Thranduil

July 22, 2008, 07:06:59 AM
Reply #302

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: More Virtual Cards (Horticulturalists)
« Reply #302 on: July 22, 2008, 07:06:59 AM »
Quote from: Thranduil
[4]Aragorn, Ranger of the North (V) [Gondor]
Companion • Man
Str: 8
Vit: 4
Res: 6
Fellowship. Ranger.
While you can spot 5 fellowship companions, Aragorn is defender +1.
Aragorn cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
"'Lonely men we are, Ranger of the wild hunters - but ever hunters of the servants of the Enemy…'"
1 V 89

I'd put a clause on that triple overwhelming, like while he's unwounded or you can spot a certain number of fellowship companions or something. I understand your point regarding Thorongil and all, but this is still too much, I think. Needs to have SOME limit.

[1]Aragorn's Pipe (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Aragorn.
Maneuver: Discard a pipeweed from play to heal a fellowship companion.
"He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved."
1 V 91

Much prefer the original, but this is certainly a fine card in its own right.

[3]Boromir, Lord of Gondor (V) [Gondor]
Companion • Man
Str: 7
Vit: 3
Res: 5
Fellowship. Valiant.
While you can spot 5 fellowship companions, Boromir may take no more than 1 wound in a skirmish.
Skirmish: If Boromir is not assigned to a skirmish, exert him to have him replace an unbound fellowship companion in a skirmish.
"'… Boromir will also be in the Company. He is a valiant man.'"
1 V 96

I said it before and I'll say it again: I'd drop valiant. I know why you did it, but it just doesn't make any sense gameplay-wise.

Now, on the whole replacing Frodo thing...I agree with lem0n. I think it MIGHT be okay to have one or MAYBE two cards that allow it, but not a companion. That's just TOO good. Leave Answering the Cries and I guess Asfaloth too, but change this Borormir to exclude the RB. Frodo is the RB that probably needs the MOST protecting, after all, and having a companion that can do it at any time without any possessions or conditions or anything that unlock it is just too powerful. The others are better balanced simply because you either have to clog your hand with it (AtC) or play it on less powerful companions (Asfaloth).

That's my two cents.

[3]Boromir, Son of Denethor (V) [Gondor]
Follower
Str: +2
Fellowship. Aid - add a burden.
While bearer is a fellowship companion (except Frodo), he cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled and cannot take more than 1 wound in a skirmish.
"'Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, held the forces of Mordor at bay - by the blood of our people are the lands of others kept safe.'"
1 V 97

I'd do just one or the other (overwhelm OR limiting wounds), leave the strength, and allow Frodo to take it. Consider that a compromise to changing Lord of Gondor. ;)

(0) Change of Plans (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 2 [Gondor] companions.
At the end of the maneuver, archery and assignment phases, each player must shuffle their hand into their draw deck and draw 8 cards.
Discard this condition at the start of the regroup phase.
"'Then let me help you. There are other ways, Frodo - other paths we might take.'"
1 V 99

Yoikes. Uh...I GUESS it's okay. I'd never use it myself, but...hmmm. It's balanced, I think.

(0) One Whom Men Would Follow (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 2 Men.
Each time a [Gondor] follower is transferred to a companion, you may exert Aragorn to heal that companion or discard a condition borne by that companion.
"In the stern sat Aragorn son of Arathorn, proud and erect, guiding the boat with skilful strokes; his hood was cast back, and his dark hair was blowing in the wind, a light was in his eyes: a king returning from exile to his own land."
1 V 109

(Courtesy of Mr. Lurtzy)

Still liked mine better. :P But it's fine.

[1] What Are They? (V) [Gondor]
Event • Maneuver
Spot a [Gondor] Man to make each Shadow player heal a minion. Then heal the same number of companions.
"'They were men… once.'"
1 V 119

Interesting.

[4]Aragorn, King In Exile (V) [Gondor]
Follower
Str: +1
Res: +1
Fellowship. Aid - exert a fellowship companion.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may heal a fellowship companion.
Each time a minion is killed in a skirmish involving bearer, you may heal a fellowship companion.
Each time a minion is overwhelmed in a skirmish involving bearer, you may heal a fellowship companion.
"'He turned from that path a long time ago. He has chosen exile…'"
1 V 365

I'm tempted to raise the strength to +2, but then it would probably be too much, so leave it.

(0) Gondor Will See It Done (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Exert a [Gondor] Man to heal a companion bearing a fellowship follower.
Skirmish: Exert Boromir or Aragorn to make a fellowship companion strength +1.
"'Boromir!… Go after those two young hobbits, and guard them at the least, even if you cannot find Frodo.'"
2 V 34

Cool beans.

[4]Aragorn, Heir to the White City (V) [Gondor]
Companion • Man
Str: 8
Vit: 4
Res: 7
Fellowship. Ranger. Knight.
At the start of the fellowship phase, you may discard a [Gondor] card from hand to heal another fellowship or [Gondor] companion.
"'… his hood was cast back, and his dark hair was blowing in the wind, a light was in his eyes: a king returning from exile in his own lands.'"
3 V 38

I think I'd like it a lot better if it somehow removed twilight, like the original. Balanced and all, sure, and the knight thing is a nice touch, but...meh. I'd like twilight removal of some sort better.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 22, 2008, 07:39:01 AM
Reply #303

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #303 on: July 22, 2008, 07:39:01 AM »
I'd put a clause on that triple overwhelming, like while he's unwounded or you can spot a certain number of fellowship companions or something. I understand your point regarding Thorongil and all, but this is still too much, I think. Needs to have SOME limit.
Done. Now he only gets it if he's the only companion assigned - inspiration from his lore!

I said it before and I'll say it again: I'd drop valiant. I know why you did it, but it just doesn't make any sense gameplay-wise.
There's one more virtual card which gives [Gondor] companions valiant (Valiant Man of the West (V) ;) ) and more that reference 'Men' without culture like some of the original fellowship cards used to do, so this creeping into [Rohan] territory won't be entirely out of place. And I reckon Boromir of all people deserves valiant. And a lot of keywords might be found in odd places, I'm feeling... :mrgreen:

Now, on the whole replacing Frodo thing...I agree with lem0n. I think it MIGHT be okay to have one or MAYBE two cards that allow it, but not a companion. That's just TOO good. Leave Answering the Cries and I guess Asfaloth too, but change this Borormir to exclude the RB. Frodo is the RB that probably needs the MOST protecting, after all, and having a companion that can do it at any time without any possessions or conditions or anything that unlock it is just too powerful. The others are better balanced simply because you either have to clog your hand with it (AtC) or play it on less powerful companions (Asfaloth).

That's my two cents.
And done!

I'd do just one or the other (overwhelm OR limiting wounds), leave the strength, and allow Frodo to take it. Consider that a compromise to changing Lord of Gondor. ;)
The reason he has both is that they're not abilities that are likely to be useful for the same characters. On a Hobbit, I'd prefer the overwhelming text, but on Legolas or Gimli I'd prefer the wound prevention. And I also like exempting Frodo for flavour reasons.

I think I'd like it a lot better if it somehow removed twilight, like the original. Balanced and all, sure, and the knight thing is a nice touch, but...meh. I'd like twilight removal of some sort better.
Problem is that fellowship twilight removing on companions gets OP pretty quick. I'll sure think on it, though.

Let's have some more Aragorn themed cards, then. They'll be some which require Aragorn, but mostly just better with him, as in the following cards:

[1]Ranger's Sword (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a ranger.
If bearer is Aragorn, he is damage +1.
While skirmishing a tracker or hunter, bearer gains hunter 1.
1 V 112

(0) An Able Guide (V) [Gondor]
Condition
Bearer must be a ranger.
Regroup: Exert bearer twice (or once if bearer is Aragorn) to replace a site in the current region with a site from your adventure deck.
"'… though I cannot disappear, I have hunted many wild and wary things and I can usually avoid being seen, if I wish.'"
1 V 88

[1] A Ranger's Versatility (V) [Gondor]
Event • Maneuver
To play, exert a ranger (or spot Aragorn).
If the current site is a battleground, make a minion lose all attribute bonuses until the regroup phase.
If the current site is a river, wound a minion.
If the current site is a forest, make a minion lose all gametext keywords until the regroup phase.
"'If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him, especially if the Ranger is Aragorn.'"
1 V 113
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:00:15 AM by Thranduil »

July 22, 2008, 07:46:51 AM
Reply #304

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #304 on: July 22, 2008, 07:46:51 AM »

Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a ranger.
If bearer is Aragorn, each minion he is skirmishing is site number +2.
1 V 112

I know its called ranger's sword but its still gorn's, i wouldnt make it bearable by any1 else but him.

Condition
Bearer must be a ranger.
Regroup: Exert bearer twice (or once if bearer is Aragorn) to replace a site in the current region with a site from your adventure deck.
"'… though I cannot disappear, I have hunted many wild and wary things and I can usually avoid being seen, if I wish.'"
1 V 88

Ok.

Event • Maneuver
If the current site is a battleground, make a minion lose all attribute bonuses until the regroup phase.
If the current site is a forest, make a minion lose all gametext keywords until the regroup phase.
"'If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him, especially if the Ranger is Aragorn.'"
1 V 113

Meh, not sure i like ther layout for an event.

July 22, 2008, 07:58:30 AM
Reply #305

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #305 on: July 22, 2008, 07:58:30 AM »
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a ranger.
If bearer is Aragorn, each minion he is skirmishing is site number +2.
1 V 112

Okay, I guess, but I'd really miss the damage of the original. I'd save the site number thing for his presumed Tower block rewrite of Blade of Aragorn and instead just make bearer damage +1 if he is Aragorn.

Condition
Bearer must be a ranger.
1 V 88

Nifty.

Event • Maneuver
1 V 113

Fine by me. Certainly fits the title! ;)
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 22, 2008, 11:16:10 AM
Reply #306

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #306 on: July 22, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a ranger.
If bearer is Aragorn, he is damage +1.
1 V 112

You could make it non-unique, I think. It's not an "amazing" hand weapon. And if it can already be borne by companions other than Aragorn, why not?

Condition
Bearer must be a ranger.
1 V 88

Interesting. Follow Smeagol Gondor-style. I like it.

Event • Maneuver
1 V 113

Cool.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

July 22, 2008, 11:20:58 AM
Reply #307

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #307 on: July 22, 2008, 11:20:58 AM »
Love the cards. Very appropriate for rangers.

Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

July 22, 2008, 11:34:55 AM
Reply #308

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #308 on: July 22, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
You could make it non-unique, I think. It's not an "amazing" hand weapon. And if it can already be borne by companions other than Aragorn, why not?
Sorry, but I cannot! Think of it as though I'm producing a sheet of paper which covers the bottom half of the card up to the type/sub-type bar, replacing type, gametext, lore, attributes and rarity. Obviously, my bit of paper can't extend to cover the title of the card, and so I can't change its uniqueness.

With those swift reviews, I might put up some more!

Since I've referenced this one already, here it is!

[1] Valiant Man of the West (V) [Gondor]
Event • Maneuver
Exert a Man to make that Man gain valiant, defender +1 and muster until the regroup phase. If that Man is Aragorn, he is also strength +1 until the regroup phase.
"'… I swore to protect you.'"
1 V 118

Remember when Armor of the White City came out and you really wished there was another card which made guys into rangers? :mrgreen:

(0) No Mere Ranger (V) [Gondor]
Condition
Bearer must be a [Gondor] Man. Bearer is a ranger.
Skirmish: If bearer is Aragorn and he is assigned to a skirmish, discard this condition to make each other fellowship or [Gondor] companion strength +1 until the regroup phase.
"'If by my life or death, I can protect you, I will…'"
2 V 36

Again, we've already seen this one, so I might as well post it for real.

(0) Answering the Cries (V) [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Exert a [Gondor] Man that is not assigned to a skirmish to have him replace an unbound or fellowship companion in a skirmish.
"Drawing his bright sword and crying Elendil! Elendil! he crashed through the trees."
3 V 37

And here is another element of Aragorn's support for the Fellowship.

(0) Voice of Rauros (V) [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Spot Aragorn to make a fellowship companion strength +2 (or +3 if Aragorn is unwounded).
"As he ran the cries came louder, but fainter now and desperately the horn was blowing."
3 V 47

Thranduil
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:27:44 AM by Thranduil »

July 22, 2008, 11:50:09 AM
Reply #309

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #309 on: July 22, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
They all seem fine, though I still don't understand your fascination with making [Gondor] Men valiant. For some companions, it makes sense, and I GUESS I can see it being done for Boromir (who clearly had a connection to the Rohirrim). But now for ANY Man? Not a big fan.
Best regards,
Dáin

July 22, 2008, 12:15:22 PM
Reply #310

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #310 on: July 22, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »
They all seem fine, though I still don't understand your fascination with making [Gondor] Men valiant. For some companions, it makes sense, and I GUESS I can see it being done for Boromir (who clearly had a connection to the Rohirrim). But now for ANY Man? Not a big fan.
Hardly a fascination... The card is called Valiant Man of the West! I just couldn't resist! :hey:

Thranduil

July 22, 2008, 10:15:54 PM
Reply #311

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #311 on: July 22, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »
Event • Maneuver
Exert a Man to make that Man gain valiant, defender +1 and muster until the regroup phase. If that Man is Aragorn, he is also strength +1 until the regroup phase.
1 V 118

Interesting. I think it's okay.

Condition
Skirmish: If bearer is Aragorn and he is assigned to a skirmish, discard this condition to make each other fellowship or [Gondor] companion strength +1 until the regroup phase.
2 V 36

Limit one per bearer, or this could get way out of hand with Aragorn.

Event • Skirmish
Exert a [Gondor] Man that is not assigned to a skirmish to have him replace an unbound or fellowship companion in a skirmish.
"Drawing his bright sword and crying Elendil! Elendil! he crashed through the trees."
3 V 37

Nice.

Event • Skirmish
Spot Aragorn to make a fellowship companion strength +2 (or +3 if Aragorn is unwounded).
"As he ran the cries came louder, but fainter now and desperately the horn was blowing."
3 V 47

Neat.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

July 23, 2008, 02:47:03 AM
Reply #312

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #312 on: July 23, 2008, 02:47:03 AM »

Event • Maneuver
1 V 118

Alright.

Condition
Limit 1 per bearer.
2 V 36

Wow no way would i allow a card that made any gondor comp to be a ranger it would make to many possibilites that i cant be arsed to think about but im sure one or more of them would lead to brokeness! The rest is fine, though i wouldnt limit it as i cant see the point.

Event • Skirmish
3 V 37

We already seen this....

Event • Skirmish
3 V 47

Sound.

July 23, 2008, 03:17:37 AM
Reply #313

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #313 on: July 23, 2008, 03:17:37 AM »
Let's just have 2 final ranger-themed cards before we go onto other [Gondor] strategies:

[1] Eregion's Trails (V) [Gondor]
Event • Response
If the fellowship is about to move to the next site, spot a ranger to cancel that site's gametext until the regroup phase.
"Guided by Aragorn, they struck a good path. It looked to Frodo like the remains of an ancient road, that had once been broad and well planned…"
1 V 104

(0) No Stranger to the Shadows (V) [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Make a ranger or [Gondor] Man strength +X, where X is the Shadow number of the current site.
"'Ah, but you had not got me with you then,' laughed Strider. ‘My cuts, short or long, don't go wrong.'"
1 V 108

Thranduil

July 23, 2008, 03:34:18 AM
Reply #314

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #314 on: July 23, 2008, 03:34:18 AM »
Hmm you didnt deal with my issue Thran, before you moved on. I dont review to be ignored!  :P Dont you see my point?

Let's just have 2 final ranger-themed cards before we go onto other [Gondor] strategies:

[1] Eregion's Trails (V) [Gondor]
Event • Response
If the fellowship is about to move to the next site, spot a ranger to cancel that site's gametext until the regroup phase.
"Guided by Aragorn, they struck a good path. It looked to Frodo like the remains of an ancient road, that had once been broad and well planned…"
1 V 104

OOOO cool, i like that massively.

(0) No Stranger to the Shadows (V) [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Make a ranger or [Gondor] Man strength +X, where X is the Shadow number of the current site.
"'Ah, but you had not got me with you then,' laughed Strider. ‘My cuts, short or long, don't go wrong.'"
1 V 108

OOOO i like this too.

Thranduil

Bravo!  :gp: (Where is hand clapping smily when you need it?)