LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: More Virtual Cards (Cruel Caradhras, take II)  (Read 189615 times)

August 09, 2008, 03:31:53 PM
Reply #435

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: More Virtual Cards (Servants to Saruman)
« Reply #435 on: August 09, 2008, 03:31:53 PM »
As hinted at above, I've designed the [Isengard] Orcs to work as they did in the film: as the workmen that fuelled Saruman's army of Uruk-hai.

Here you see one of their most basic capacities which was also developed in Servants of Saruman (V) above.

[3] Isengard Servant (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
Str: 7
Vit: 2
Sit: 4
[Orc].
Shadow: Exert this minion to play an Uruk-hai; its twilight cost is -2.
3 V 58

Then to make sure your Uruks are kitted out with the stuff they need to kill! :twisted:

[2] Isengard Forger (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
Str: 6
Vit: 3
[Orc].
Shadow: Exert this minion to play an [Isengard] possession from your discard pile.
"'I looked on it and saw that, whereas it had once been green and fair, it was now filled with pits and forges.'"
3 V 56

And these two begin taking advantage of [Isengard] minion's generally high vitality to get out your support cards.

[2] Isengard Worker (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
Str: 5
[Orc].
Each [Isengard] condition gains toil 1.
"'They were Elves once. Taken by the dark powers - tortured and mutilated…'"
3 V 62

[4] Isengard Retainer (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
Str: 9
[Orc].
Each [Isengard] event gains toil 1.
Response: If you play an [Isengard] event or [Isengard] condition with toil X, exert this minion to make that card's twilight cost -X.
"'… the Eagles of the mountain went far and wide, and they saw many things: the gathering of wolves and the mustering of Orcs…'"
1 V 57
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 03:33:33 PM by Thranduil »

August 09, 2008, 09:18:28 PM
Reply #436

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
Re: More Virtual Cards (The Orcs of Isengard)
« Reply #436 on: August 09, 2008, 09:18:28 PM »
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
3 V 58

Interesting. Be sure NOT to make shadow cards that spot a lot of cultures... because right now it's possible to run an [Isengard] deck that can spot 3 of its own cultures.

Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Shadow: Exert this minion to play an [Isengard] possession from your discard pile.
"'I looked on it and saw that, whereas it had once been green and fair, it was now filled with pits and forges.'"

Neat. And fitting.
3 V 56

Minion • Orc
[Orc].
3 V 62

Nice.

Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Response: If you play an [Isengard] event or [Isengard] condition with toil X, exert this minion to make that card's twilight cost -X.
"'… the Eagles of the mountain went far and wide, and they saw many things: the gathering of wolves and the mustering of Orcs…'"

Very nice. I could see these guys being useful with a couple certain old [Isengard] Orc cards. I can't wait to see some *new* high(er) costing events/conditions.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

August 10, 2008, 05:51:10 AM
Reply #437

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #437 on: August 10, 2008, 05:51:10 AM »
Very nice. I could see these guys being useful with a couple certain old [Isengard] Orc cards. I can't wait to see some *new* high(er) costing events/conditions.
Well, the original Hollowing of Isengard looks very nasty with toiling capabilities. I've also made an awful lot of conditions and some high cost events which will appear in the near future. My main worry with the Orcs so far is that it may all be a bit combo-heavy (which is the reason for Servants to Saruman (V) above).

Thranduil

August 11, 2008, 06:48:10 AM
Reply #438

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: More Virtual Cards (Servants to Saruman)
« Reply #438 on: August 11, 2008, 06:48:10 AM »
Quote from: Thranduil
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
3 V 58

Maybe limit it to [Isengard] Uruks?

Minion • Orc
[Orc].
3 V 56

Cool.

Minion • Orc
[Orc].
3 V 62

Scary. I'd prefer that be on a unique minion instead.

Minion • Orc
[Orc].
1 V 57

Again, I'd kind of prefer that on a unique minion too, but this one is PROBABLY okay since he's more expensive and we're talking about events instead of conditions.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

August 12, 2008, 06:00:47 AM
Reply #439

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #439 on: August 12, 2008, 06:00:47 AM »
I will change that Isengard Worker but only once I work out a good text for him! His toil text will probably go on Orc Overseer (V).

This one's just a simple Orc to help your guys exert.

[1] Isengard Shaman (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
To play, heal an [Isengard] minion.
"'Over all his works a dark smoke hung and wrapped itself about the sides of Orthanc.'"
3 V 59

This guy is a staple with huge vitality and protection against unwanted exertions.

[4] Isengard Smith (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
Str: 8
Vit: 4
[Orc].
This minion cannot be exerted by Free Peoples cards.
"'No other folk make such a trampling…'"
3 V 60

You may remember that we have yet to see any ways to make Uruk-hai fierce. Well, this is something that Orcs can do which no other can... I'm hoping that playing Uruk-hai cheaply and making them fierce is enough incentive for someone to build an [Isengard] Orc/Uruk hybrid deck.

[3] Isengard Warrior (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Shadow: Exert this minion and an [Isengard] minion to make that minion fierce until the regroup phase.
"'There is evil afoot in Isengard, and the West is no longer safe.'"
3 V 61

And another uniting of the [Isengard] sub-cultures with a very generic axe.

(0) Isengard Axe (V) [Isengard]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +1
Bearer must be an [Isengard] minion.
If bearer is an Uruk-hai and you can spot an Orc, bearer is fierce.
If bearer is an Orc and you can spot an Uruk-hai, bearer is damage +1.
If bearer is a Man and you can spot an [Isengard] Wizard, each companion skirmishing bearer is strength -2.
3 V 55
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:34:39 PM by Thranduil »

August 12, 2008, 07:36:04 AM
Reply #440

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #440 on: August 12, 2008, 07:36:04 AM »
[1] Isengard Shaman (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
To play, heal an [Isengard] minion.
"'Over all his works a dark smoke hung and wrapped itself about the sides of Orthanc.'"
3 V 59

Nifty.

[4] Isengard Smith (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
This minion cannot be exerted by Free Peoples cards.
"'No other folk make such a trampling…'"
3 V 60

I like, I like.

[3] Isengard Warrior (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Shadow: Exert this minion to make an [Isengard] minion fierce until the regroup phase.
"'There is evil afoot in Isengard, and the West is no longer safe.'"
3 V 61

Hmmm. Perhaps exert him AND that minion, as giving some of those larger [Isengard] Uruks fierceness could be truly brutal.

(0) Isengard Axe (V) [Isengard]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +1
Bearer must be an [Isengard] minion.
If bearer is an Uruk-hai and you can spot an Orc, bearer is fierce.
If bearer is an Orc and you can spot an Uruk-hai, bearer is damage +1.
If bearer is a Man and you can spot an [Isengard] Wizard, each companion skirmishing bearer is strength -2.
3 V 55

I'd limit the first two (and maybe the third as well) to while bearer is also unwounded, helping keep fierceness for Uruks in check and keep Orcs from exerting for this stuff AND getting a damage bonus. You could possibly even give it its old strength +2 back then.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

August 14, 2008, 10:26:23 AM
Reply #441

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #441 on: August 14, 2008, 10:26:23 AM »
Well let's have some unique Orcs followed by some funky conditions.

[6]Orc Commander (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
Str: 12
[Orc].
Toil 1.
When you play Orc Commander, heal each [Isengard] Orc that did not exert for Orc Commander's toil.
Response: If another [Isengard] Orc is about to take a wound, exert Orc Commander to prevent that wound.
"'It seems their delight to slash and beat down growing things that are not even in their way.'"
3 V 64

[5]Orc Overseer (V) [Isengard]
Minion • Orc
Str: 11
[Orc].
Toil 1.
Each [Isengard] condition gains toil 1 (or toil 2 if you can spot Saruman).
"'What orders from Mordor, my Lord? What does the Eye command?'"
3 V 65

[1] Tower of Orthanc (V) [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
To play, exert an [Isengard] minion.
Each time you play an [Isengard] Orc, you may spot an Uruk-hai to add an [Isengard] token here.
Each time you play an Uruk-hai, you may spot an [Isengard] Orc to add an [Isengard] token here.
Shadow: Remove 3 tokens from here (or 2 tokens if you can spot Saruman) to heal an [Isengard] minion.
"'It was not made by Saruman, but by the Men of Númenor long ago; and it is very tall and has many secrets; yet it looks not to be a work of craft.'"
3 V 71

[4] Hollowing of Isengard (V) [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
Shadow: Discard this condition to heal each [Isengard] Orc.
Maneuver: Discard this condition to make each [Isengard] Orc unable to take wounds (except during skirmishes) until the regroup phase.
Regroup: Exert an [Isengard] Orc to play this condition from your discard pile. At the end of the turn, remove this condition from the game.
"'Rip them all down!'"
3 V 54
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 01:01:25 PM by Thranduil »

August 14, 2008, 10:49:37 AM
Reply #442

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #442 on: August 14, 2008, 10:49:37 AM »
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Toil 1.
When you play Orc Commander, heal each [Isengard] Orc that did not exert for Orc Commander's toil.
Response: If another [Isengard] Orc is about to take a wound, exert Orc Commander to prevent that wound.
"'It seems their delight to slash and beat down growing things that are not even in their way.'"
3 V 64

Not sure on the wording on that first part, but since it's never been done before, I guess it's good enough for me. :up:

Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Toil 1.
3 V 65

Good. Now just don't forget to go back and change the revised Isengard Worker. You thought I forgot, didn't you? [-X

Condition • Support Area
Each time you play an [Isengard] Orc, you may spot an Uruk-hai to add an [Isengard] token here.
Each time you play an Uruk-hai, you may spot an [Isengard] Orc to add an [Isengard] token here.
Shadow: Remove 3 tokens from here (or 2 tokens if you can spot Saruman) to heal an [Isengard] minion.
"'It was not made by Saruman, but by the Men of Númenor long ago; and it is very tall and has many secrets; yet it looks not to be a work of craft.'"
3 V 71

Seems fine to me. Obviously meant to work with your new toil stuff, but I think it's reasonably balanced.

Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make each [Isengard] Orc unable to take wounds until the regroup phase.
Regroup: Exert an [Isengard] Orc to play this condition from your discard pile.
"'Rip them all down!'"
3 V 54

I think the skirmish ability is a little OP. Perhaps instead make it a maneuver ability that works all the time EXCEPT during skirmishes?

I'd also recommend giving the regroup ability a much stiffer cost, especially since this non-unique. I know it's expensive, but....

Perhaps leave the regroup as is, but then remove it from the game at the start of the NEXT regroup phase or something?
Best regards,
Dáin

August 14, 2008, 12:34:30 PM
Reply #443

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
Re: More Virtual Cards (Hollowing of Isengard)
« Reply #443 on: August 14, 2008, 12:34:30 PM »
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Toil 1.
3 V 64

Neat.

Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Toil 1.
3 V 65

Fine.

Condition • Support Area
3 V 71

Fair enough.

Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make each [Isengard] Orc unable to take wounds until the regroup phase.
Regroup: Exert an [Isengard] Orc to play this condition from your discard pile.
"'Rip them all down!'"
3 V 54

The skirmish ability is a bit OP. I think even Dain's maneuver suggestion would hose archery decks badly enough that it's OP, too. But I guess it's better.

The regroup ability IS a bit much, as well... come to think of it, with all this toil and the massive amount of healing 4 of these would provide, this shadow could make a really serious swarm off of very, very little twilight.

I'd be fine with this card if it was unique, but seeing as how that isn't an option...
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

August 14, 2008, 01:04:23 PM
Reply #444

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #444 on: August 14, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »
Seems fine to me. Obviously meant to work with your new toil stuff, but I think it's reasonably balanced.
Not just that: remember that almost all the [Isengard] Orcs exert for stuff during the Shadow phase.

I've changed the Hollowing of Isengard according to both suggestions. Thanks guys! :gp:

Thranduil

August 14, 2008, 02:13:59 PM
Reply #445

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #445 on: August 14, 2008, 02:13:59 PM »
Not sure I get the Regroup ability on Hollowing of Isengard (V) anymore.

I play it in the Regroup phase and then the FP player doesn't move on. Card gets removed, right?
I play it, he moves on, I don't discard it. End of turn card is removed.
I play it, he moves on, I discard it in the Shadow phase, does it still remove from the game?
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

August 14, 2008, 04:33:44 PM
Reply #446

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #446 on: August 14, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »
I play it in the Regroup phase and then the FP player doesn't move on. Card gets removed, right?
Yes.

I play it, he moves on, I don't discard it. End of turn card is removed.
Yes.

I play it, he moves on, I discard it in the Shadow phase, does it still remove from the game?
Yes.

Well that was fun! 8-)

Thranduil

August 19, 2008, 05:58:47 AM
Reply #447

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2008, 05:58:47 AM »
Now as promised the reworked Worker followed by the last of the main [Isengard] Orc strategy. Next time we'll either see some weather or conditions that mess horribly with assignment! :twisted:

Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Shadow: Exert this minion twice to place an [Isengard] condition from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
3 V 62

[2] Hate and Anger (V) [Isengard]
Event • Skirmish
Choose one: exert an [Isengard] Orc to make an Uruk-hai strength +3, and fierce until the regroup phase; or exert an Uruk-hai to make an [Isengard] Orc strength +3 and damage +1.
3 V 53

[1] The Trees Are Strong (V) [Isengard]
Event • Shadow or Regroup
Exert an [Isengard] Orc to place an [Isengard] condition or [Isengard] event from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
"'Their roots go deep.'"
3 V 73
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:04:16 AM by Thranduil »

August 19, 2008, 08:57:22 AM
Reply #448

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #448 on: August 19, 2008, 08:57:22 AM »
Minion • Orc
[Orc].
Shadow: Exert this minion to place an [Isengard] condition from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
3 V 62

Hmmm. I'd make that ability exert him twice.

[2] Hate and Anger (V) [Isengard]
Event • Skirmish
Choose one: exert an [Isengard] Orc to make an Uruk-hai strength +3, and fierce until the regroup phase; or exert an Uruk-hai to make an [Isengard] Orc strength +3 and damage +1.
3 V 53

Niftiness.

[1] The Trees Are Strong (V) [Isengard]
Event • Shadow or Regroup
Spot an [Isengard] Orc to place an [Isengard] condition or [Isengard] event from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
"'Their roots go deep.'"
3 V 73

I'd exert the Orc instead. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

August 19, 2008, 10:32:36 AM
Reply #449

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: More Virtual Cards ("Their roots go deep.")
« Reply #449 on: August 19, 2008, 10:32:36 AM »
With Dains suggestions, these cards look good to me.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who