LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Article Feedback  (Read 31145 times)

August 21, 2017, 03:01:07 AM
Reply #300

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Article Feedback
« Reply #300 on: August 21, 2017, 03:01:07 AM »
Heh, sorry, my activity goes through ebbs and flows. I mean, I mostly didn't keep up because after checking in frequently and seeing no changes for months at a time...it starts to seem like it's not worthwhile.  I don't know how my email notifications got interrupted, however; it looks like a huge amount of work has been put in! 
Sorry about that, I kind of lost a lot of my flow over time. Durin's Heir, Ket_The_Jet and Enabran have all done a lot of work. We actually had the end of the set 1 cards in site (Mostly boring ones left :P), and Enabran's written up a tonne of keywords that didn't have articles. Phallen's been doing some recent work too, mostly on Two Towers cards I think.

Enabran (or at least I assume it was Enabran) contacted me via email letting me know about the issues here.  I've reached out to Kralik, but it might be about a month before he responds, based on his informal not-resignation.  We'll see what he says once he does.
Yeah, not seen much of Kralik either. Not exactly sure what the implications are, but have you seen this thread?: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,10122.msg93108.html#new

If anyone needs to contact me and it looks like I haven't responded to PM, feel free to email me at hyperlink <dot> teltura <at> gmail <dot> com.
I posted errors I can't fix here: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,117.180.html

I kinda feel like I'm bombarding you with unimportant stuff. Really am glad to see you back, feels like Return of the King ;)
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

August 21, 2017, 07:41:33 PM
Reply #301

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #301 on: August 21, 2017, 07:41:33 PM »
Yeah, I saw that post of his.  In the past he's said that he checks his lotr-tcg email every month or so, but with that who knows when he'll see the most recent round of emails. 

It would definitely be nice if the wiki software was something fully accessible to more than admin-level access.  I actually have moderately elevated privileges, but not enough to resolve some of the recurring issues such as not being allowed to upload new files or the card text pages being locked somewhere that I can't see them.  In the past I've toyed with the idea of scraping all the data on this wiki and moving it to a MediaWiki-based option, but that would need to happen when I have time to do it and only if there's moderate support from the userbase--as you've found out, I'm not always around.

I looked at those issues, and they're all tied to the locked-down card pages I mentioned, so I can't help there. 

(in other news, I'm annoyed to see that I still didn't get an email notification for your reply, so apologies if my replies lag.)

Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

August 22, 2017, 06:49:06 AM
Reply #302

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
In other news, I'm annoyed to see that I still didn't get an email notification for your reply, so apologies if my replies lag.

So I'm just hypothesising here, but is it possible this could be an issue with the site? Because I haven't received any email notifications for quite some time either, but I have them switched on. I just never really noticed before because I log in so often anyway.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

August 22, 2017, 07:00:31 PM
Reply #303

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
It's a good theory.  Not sure what would cause it, but then again I never actually got to peek into the shoestrings that hold this place together.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

August 26, 2017, 07:42:42 AM
Reply #304

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #304 on: August 26, 2017, 07:42:42 AM »
I updated most of the unloaded Keywords pages using this Decklist-Builder-Program . Now no card should be missing in my lists.
The Ranger Keyword is the last one that is missing. But nearly 100 cards are Ranger or ranger related cards, so that is a lot of work...

December 18, 2017, 02:47:46 AM
Reply #305

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #305 on: December 18, 2017, 02:47:46 AM »
Added notes to all cards that I've seen mismatch their physical copies (Worn Battleaxe, Grieving the Fallen, Doors of Durin, Rider's Bow). Also added a note to Powerful Guide (H) based on research I could find - if information there is incorrect please let me know.

December 18, 2017, 11:46:58 PM
Reply #306

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #306 on: December 18, 2017, 11:46:58 PM »
There are 169 instances of the word "ranger" in all cards, so there's an upper bound.  Somewhere I have a python script that I would use to generate the "ranger cards" and "cards that refer to rangers" sections in the wiki; I can try to dig that up and get it working again.  Could use it to check the unloaded articles, too, and ensure they list all the proper cards.

December 19, 2017, 04:03:54 AM
Reply #307

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #307 on: December 19, 2017, 04:03:54 AM »
Wrote article for Throne of the Dark Lord.

There are 169 instances of the word "ranger" in all cards, so there's an upper bound.  Somewhere I have a python script that I would use to generate the "ranger cards" and "cards that refer to rangers" sections in the wiki; I can try to dig that up and get it working again.  Could use it to check the unloaded articles, too, and ensure they list all the proper cards.
That sounds great! I've often wondered whether or not pages like those are complete.

February 03, 2018, 04:00:22 AM
Reply #308

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #308 on: February 03, 2018, 04:00:22 AM »
Working on Saruman, Servant of Sauron. Please let me know if you see any erroneous information.

February 14, 2018, 05:03:51 PM
Reply #309

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2018, 05:03:51 PM »
So, I'm not sure how many other people know this, but I dug up an old Rise of Saruman rulebook (i.e. The set containing Servant of Sauron) and found that this rulebook does describe followers in a neutral manner, instead of as a Free Peoples only concept, like in Hunters and Bloodlines.

I'm not sure why the wiki's descriptions of follower and aid are from the hunters rulebook if it's out of date, as this is mainly what confused me in the first place. In any case, I updated the article accordingly. Assuming I'm not jumping to conclusions, I might also propose we update the wiki's follower and aid articles too.

March 28, 2018, 09:21:11 AM
Reply #310

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #310 on: March 28, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »
Shout-out to Dictionary for his consistent dedication to the wiki! He just finished the series of fortifications released in King Block and the articles are looking fine.

March 28, 2018, 12:42:13 PM
Reply #311

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #311 on: March 28, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »
So, I'm not sure how many other people know this, but I dug up an old Rise of Saruman rulebook (i.e. The set containing Servant of Sauron) and found that this rulebook does describe followers in a neutral manner, instead of as a Free Peoples only concept, like in Hunters and Bloodlines.

I'm not sure why the wiki's descriptions of follower and aid are from the hunters rulebook if it's out of date, as this is mainly what confused me in the first place. In any case, I updated the article accordingly. Assuming I'm not jumping to conclusions, I might also propose we update the wiki's follower and aid articles too.

The article is a bit misleading. He can exert any companion. The wording suggests he can do so only to assigned companions. Maybe change that. Also, Whispers in the Dark isn‘t linked.

March 29, 2018, 12:44:03 AM
Reply #312

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2018, 12:44:03 AM »
Shout-out to Dictionary for his consistent dedication to the wiki! He just finished the series of fortifications released in King Block and the articles are looking fine.
Thanks Phallen :) Trying to get back into it after a long break. My style might be a bit different: Trying to be focus more on what a card is used for and less on whether a card is useful, which I got a bit hung up on in the past. Also trying to be more succinct.

The article is a bit misleading. He can exert any companion. The wording suggests he can do so only to assigned companions. Maybe change that. Also, Whispers in the Dark isn‘t linked.
Fixed!

March 29, 2018, 04:51:45 AM
Reply #313

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2018, 04:51:45 AM »
I've been trying to focus on finding the best light to paint most cards in, but sometimes I've gotten overzealous in mapping out the probably-obvious. I need to trend more towards succinctness. Blades Drawn, in particular, has needed trimming since I wrote it :P

Another note is I'm always surprised at how differently I value most of the cards. I couldn't find a single reason to put Haunting Her Steps in any deck, but you came by and brought up Lurkers, which is a fine reason to say that the card can be usable. Hobbit Appetite, as well, I've thrown into many decks to wound-proof them whenever Frodo has Answer to All Riddles, and I was surprised at how useless the card was made out to be initially. Of course, my practical knowledge only extends to Return of the King (maaaybe Movie), so perhaps it's the vantage point of the later sets that I'm missing. I guess this is why it's a collaborative effort!

For Servant of Sauron, doesn't his effect trigger before wounds are placed so he could exert a companion about to take a wound from the skirmish he is involved in?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:10:45 AM by Phallen Cassidy »

March 29, 2018, 09:26:11 AM
Reply #314

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #314 on: March 29, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »
I've been trying to focus on finding the best light to paint most cards in, but sometimes I've gotten overzealous in mapping out the probably-obvious. I need to trend more towards succinctness. Blades Drawn, in particular, has needed trimming since I wrote it :P

Another note is I'm always surprised at how differently I value most of the cards. I couldn't find a single reason to put Haunting Her Steps in any deck, but you came by and brought up Lurkers, which is a fine reason to say that the card can be usable. Hobbit Appetite, as well, I've thrown into many decks to wound-proof them whenever Frodo has Answer to All Riddles, and I was surprised at how useless the card was made out to be initially. Of course, my practical knowledge only extends to Return of the King (maaaybe Movie), so perhaps it's the vantage point of the later sets that I'm missing. I guess this is why it's a collaborative effort!

For Servant of Sauron, doesn't his effect trigger before wounds are placed so he could exert a companion about to take a wound from the skirmish he is involved in?

Yeah, I agree with you. It would seem that Haunting her Steps would work best in War of the Ring Standard, a format which I have never played. I like Hobbit Appetite as well, although I can see that it would probably lose to ally shenanigans (The Gaffer + Hobbit Party Guest etc.) in the long run. It's more splashable though.

Saruman is optional, so I think he goes second.